Avernum V

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum V
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #250
quote:
Ahh, but you didn't pay him to read a spellbook, you paid him an ungodly sum of money to walk you through the incantation so you could cast it yourself. I don't pay my math professor to tell me which textbook I need and to "figure it out", I pay him for examples and demonstrations so I know what i'm doing. Petrie definately knew how to cast the spell.

Having a magical object (spellbook) doesn't make you the original author/creator. Lots of magical stuff is collected out of interest (think gun collecting as a hobby among hunters). Granting access to magical stuff which you do not know how to use (rune reading ability lacking?) for $$ can be for greed/further one's own abilities to further acquire new objects for yor collection.... (think of a price of admission).

So, I am no sold that Petrie actually knew what to do. It may be that Petrie could ape/parrot the instructions but didn't create them.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #251
quote:
Originally written by Tin:

quote:
Ahh, but you didn't pay him to read a spellbook, you paid him an ungodly sum of money to walk you through the incantation so you could cast it yourself. I don't pay my math professor to tell me which textbook I need and to "figure it out", I pay him for examples and demonstrations so I know what i'm doing. Petrie definately knew how to cast the spell.

Having a magical object (spellbook) doesn't make you the original author/creator. Lots of magical stuff is collected out of interest (think gun collecting as a hobby among hunters). Granting access to magical stuff which you do not know how to use (rune reading ability lacking?) for $$ can be for greed/further one's own abilities to further acquire new objects for yor collection.... (think of a price of admission).

So, I am no sold that Petrie actually knew what to do. It may be that Petrie could ape/parrot the instructions but didn't create them.

A mage parroting stuff? I don't think they do that. They're too arrogant. :)

Also, I haven't gotten round to finishing Avernum 2 yet, but I swear that both the Empire and Avernum didn't know how to make quickfire. So how would Petrie have a Vahnatai Tome :o ?

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #252
quote:
A mage parroting stuff? I don't think they do that. They're too arrogant.

Agreed. Igave a number of scenarios in which it ws possible for Petrie to have the spellbook but not be the author. Some weren't thought through for plausibility.

However, I could also see a mage quoting an astronomical value for something that mage feels has little value to test an adveturer's stupidity/taunt them. and quickfire could be considered to have little value because it is so uncontrollable (although thats what doors are for)

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #253
quote:
Originally written by Marcelo:

For Avernum 5 I wish there was some kind of food (?) that restores your energy for mages and priests.
What I'm glad of is the editor– the original Exile 1 editor didn't restore your spell points! XD
-Erika "only cheats when she REALLY has to… really!" Maroonmark

--------------------
A C, an E-flat, and a G walk into the Tower of the Magi.
Ambrin walks up to them and says, "Hey! It's the Triad!"
Kelner snorts and says, "Pretty minor Triad if you ask me."
BANNED
Member # 5663
Profile #254
I have some nice ideas for A5, I don't know whether or not any of them have been posted yet as I was trying to read through all the posts and my short attention span got the best of me...

First of all, on the surface a new race could be discovered. A race of anthropomorphic vulpines (or lupines if more people prefer wolves) could have remained well hidden in the denser forests of Valorim, remaining unknown to the other races in their secret forest cities. This could be part of a plot (maybe the Empire considers their natural stealth a threat and sends most of them to Avernum, or the Empire aspires to slash and burn their forests and sends them to Avernum when they resist). They could have bonuses to speed and lethal blow. I'm not sure what a fair experience penalty would be. It's time for a new race, since the original Exile/Avernum 2 have been added as playable. The vahnatai aren't entirely plausible, so why not continue the somewhat furry theme started by existance and playablility of Nephils and Sliths?

The return of crossbows as a heavier but more damaging alternative to bows would be nice, or perhaps a form of early firearm (flintlock or matchlock pistols, hand cannons, muskets, match/flintlock rifles and such).

DUAL WIELDING! DWing was the coolest aspect of the Exile series combat system and I'm sure I'm not the only Exile/Avernum fan who misses it.

A starting skill set that includes spear use, for the pole characters. Lancer or something like that since Soldier and Berserker both favor swords.

Grenade-like weapons: ceramic or glass containers with harmful substances inside. Incendiary fluid, poison gas, acid, antimagic energy pulse, caltrops, etc.

Another possible playable race that already exists in the Exile/Avernum series (though I can't seem to remember which game they were in) are the fungal humanoid Swamp Folk. According to the encyclopedia, they are intelligent and have their own society. They are territorial but not hostile, and capable of using tools with moderate dexterity so it's possible they would make good party members. I don't know what racial bonuses or experience penalties would be most fitting for Swamp Folk.

[ Friday, April 21, 2006 22:01: Message edited by: Mister Fox ]

--------------------
I'm drunk as think as you not am I.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #255
I want boats back. Not being able to sail around was a definate minus in A4. Damn tentacle monsters ruin everybody's good time.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #256
Can we please stop suggesting new races? They won't be implemented, ever. Particularly wolf-like things (I get the feeling Fox wanted to suggest werewolves).

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
BANNED
Member # 5663
Profile #257
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Can we please stop suggesting new races? They won't be implemented, ever. Particularly wolf-like things (I get the feeling Fox wanted to suggest werewolves).
I've never once submitted an idea for a future game for any company with the expectation that it'd be used, I just enjoy sharing with the rest of the fan base. Also, I at first suggested fox people/werefoxes and then added wolf people/werewolves for the people who like wolves more (since some consider foxes to be horrid pests, as lovely as they are). I post so other people can read what I think would be cool in A5 and say "Oh, that's neat" or "This fox guy is a weirdo and an idiot" depending on whether or not an idea is liked.

--------------------
I'm drunk as think as you not am I.
Apprentice
Member # 7079
Profile Homepage #258
quote:
Jeff could come up with a lot of things, an undiscovered slith kingdom, a powerful magical being, a natural occourance such as a massive cave quake that disrupts order, etc.
I like the idea of a natural occourance that disrupts order. :)

EDIT: In fact, I am going to work on my BoE scenario called Cavequake Chaos. :D
Edit: Spelling error.

[ Thursday, May 04, 2006 11:27: Message edited by: Aussieavernum ]
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #259
Though being original is difficult after 11 pages I'll add my two cents anyway.

quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

The way I currently picture Avernum 5 is:

i. In a whole new area of the underworld.
ii. On a much smaller scale, plot-wise. You have a major mission, but no monolithic power trying to blow up the world.
iii. More like Avernum 2 in details of storyline.
v. More talk and diplomacy.

- Jeff Vogel

If this is what A5 ends up being I'm happy for the most part. The exploration of new places would reintroduce the sense of discovering the unknown that was lacking in A5. A more in-depth plot giving it more of an A2 feel would be nice as well. As far as the main conflict goes I'd be happy with almost anything aside from Vahnatai. The boats were a very nice aspect of the early Avernums, as was the teleportation system in A4. Though I greatly prefer Avernum's engine I wouldn't mind A4's nearly as much if the graphics were distinctly different from those of Geneforge.

quote:
Originally written by Mu:

Damn tentacle monsters ruin everybody's good time.
^_________^
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #260
quote:

I want boats back. Not being able to sail around was a definate minus in A4. Damn tentacle monsters ruin everybody's good time.
I beg your pardon.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Apprentice
Member # 6924
Profile Homepage #261
quote:
Originally written by Aussieavernum:

I like the idea of a natural occorance that disrupts order. :)

EDIT: In fact, I am going to work on my BoE scenario called Cavequake Chaos. :D

Yeah what would happen if a cave quake opened up a tunnel to the ocean above, and parts of Avernum started flooding? :D
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #262
quote:
Originally written by Delicious Vlish:

quote:

I beg your pardon.

Submarine tentacle monsters ruin everbody's good time. Vlish are fine.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #263
quote:
Originally written by Reve:

Yeah what would happen if a cave quake opened up a tunnel to the ocean above, and parts of Avernum started flooding? :D
I actually planned a BoE scenario based on that exact premise once. It also involved aliens from another dimension who had shown up to cause trouble for no particularly clear reason, and fighting Garzahd in the form of a Crystal Soul.

It's probably for the best that I didn't finish it.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #264
:eek:
It probably was for the best, Thuryl. For all of us.

[ Sunday, April 30, 2006 11:02: Message edited by: Mu ]

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #265
Oh, and there was a giant fungus the size of a city which could only be killed by setting off quickfire inside it. Actually, that was probably one of the better parts of the scenario.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #266
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Oh, and there was a giant fungus the size of a city which could only be killed by setting off quickfire inside it. Actually, that was probably one of the better parts of the scenario.
That actually doesn't sound half-bad. I'd like to hear the backstory, though...

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #267
quote:

That actually doesn't sound half-bad. I'd like to hear the backstory, though...
Well, it's a little off-topic, but since I've already started...

It's set in an alternate universe where the heroes of Exile 2 failed to close the unstable rift after destroying the portal in the Portal Fortress (the player doesn't actually know this at the beginning of the scenario -- it's a big reveal toward the end). Now, if you've ever tried not closing the rift, you know the description you get just before you die mentions massive cavequakes devastating both Exile and the Empire.

The quakes open huge cracks in the earth, causing the oceans to literally pour out and flood large regions of Exile, which was fairly bad for the surface but even worse for Exile. The quakes also released deeply-buried spores of a highly aggressive fungus that attacks from underground without warning (this was one of the neater technical tricks I put into the scenario -- wandering monsters set to "attack immediately", so that as soon as they were generated the party would be attacked without a chance to avoid the encounter. At least, it was neat in theory; it'd probably get annoying in practice.)

The Empire blamed Exile for the disaster and continued to wage war on it, still led by Garzahd (initially human, since Exile 2's party never survived long enough to kill him, but he comes back as a crystal soul after the scenario's party bumps him off). Also, there were, as previously mentioned, aliens, who'd managed to enter Exile through the dimensional rift created by the destruction of the portal, and were now trying to colonise it.

Essentially, the plot mirrored that of Exile 1 or 2, with the party dealing with three major threats (the fungus, the Empire and the aliens), and having a bunch of towns to save, NPCs to pick up and sidequests to do along the way. I should stress that the setting was very much an apocalyptic one; civilisation in Exile was reduced to a few scattered holdouts, and the first quest given to you in the scenario was to find a reliable source of food for your village.

Man. Talking about the scenario like this almost makes me want to actually make the damn thing.

[ Monday, May 01, 2006 14:13: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #268
quote:

Man. Talking about the scenario like this almost makes me want to actually make the damn thing.
Do it! You know you want to!

--------------------

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #269
quote:

quote:

Do it! You know you want to!

I also would like to play this scenario. (Or pretty much any scenario you'll make, considering your past record.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #270
The main problem with making it is that it'd have to be a very large scenario, and my free time is limited. I'd rather work on something smaller in scope than start something massive and maybe never finish it. Besides, I've already got one BoA scenario in the works.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 7079
Profile Homepage #271
Mine wouldn't be set in avernum because it would be far too big. I am setting it in a small group of caves south of Avernum.

Back onto the topic, maybe A5 should be set on the surface where Empress Prazac travels to Valorim to make peace with a huge rebellion and an evil necromancer of the huge rebellion claims that Prazac and him were swapped at birth and he becomes emporer. The new emporer (Who was NOT in the family at all) lets the rebels join the army so a new rebellion is formed by Prazac and most of the imperial army to turn the Empire from evil to good by Prazac becoming the Empress again and your party was hired by Prazac to fight against the Empire so that the rebellion will turn into the Empire again.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #272
quote:

an evil necromancer
[i]NO![/i] Not as a central character. Just NO. You know what that makes all of the enemies, right? You know how easy that is to justify with a weak plot?

And that plot's just a bit cliché. I doubt that the Empire would just hand over the throne to an obvious fake... since when has any Empire official dabbled in necromancy? Any official, ever?

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #273
quote:

quote:

an evil necromancer
[i]NO![/i] Not as a central character. Just NO. You know what that makes all of the enemies, right? You know how easy that is to justify with a weak plot?

I want to make a well-written scenario with a thought out plot, with the main characters being five liches. Just to see your reaction.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #274
quote:
Originally written by radix malorum est cupiditas:

I want to make a well-written scenario with a thought out plot, with the main characters being five liches. Just to see your reaction.
I look forward to seeing it. Then we'll just need three more signs of the apocalypse.

--------------------

Pages