Avernum V

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum V
Apprentice
Member # 7123
Profile #300
The kind of plot-line I find most interesting is one you can believe in, ie. not some mass major evil-for-the-sake-of-it demon guy. The real enemy should be one you don't expect, but also has an actual reason for causing whatever villanous acts he does, also the characters should have to make decisions that actually affect the stroyline, that's one thing I liked about the Geneforge series, although admitedly the system was fairly simple. Also, in the Small Rebellion scenario of BoA, such thing was used when you decided whether to aid the rebels or help destroy them, and this kind of thing got me thinking. Maybe either empire should have a large civil war that's been brewing for several years, possibly because several factions didn't agree with Empress Prazac, and the outbreak of the war meant loss of communication to Avernum, and starvation and similar were on the horizon and it's up to you to find a way to a message to the surface, or maybe the empire sends to Avernum for help, and it's up to you as to which side Avernum joins. Something along those lines, in which Avernum is not the direct victim, yet still has the possibility of being badly affected.

Or possibly there is a large scale war between several Vahnatai factions, since we know there are several. In this case either the fighting extends to taking place in Avernum, or Avernum is asked to aid some of the different Vahnatai groups and you are sent as an envoy to their lands to learn which group to join. There could be plenty of opportunities for twists in the tale, and when you decide, there are still several outcomes.

Or using the A4 engine, with no outdoor section, you could have fights going on all through the land, similar to an actual war, and you choose which you join, and that decision affects the outcome of the "battle". Though I reckon the AI would be hell to code for something like that.

These plots, I think, have more realism than your average rpg and put you in a major position straight away, instead of spending 5 days fighting goblin and bandit infestations before something weird happens to you and you end up unwantedly as the major hero of avernum due to some random mark or similar.

Just some thoughts.

Schlotz

EDIT: Also, the real enemy should remain undiscovered until the last minutes of the game, and you should not be able to work out who it is easily, if at all. Though there should be a good reason to him being the villain, although this shouldn't be revelaed too obviously in a "Ha! I killed them all because I did". Either that, or better still, the villain is dependant on which side you choose and whatever loyalties your character has.

Another plot possibility is that the Vahnatai, or one tribe of them, attempt to help or contact Avernum the empire, but they fear the Vahnatai, and feel threatened by them and act hostile towards them, and it looks as though a second war is going to break out, with the possibility of further problems for Avernum, when an envoy from the Vahnatai reaches the Castle and pleads to Avernum that they do not want war, and you are sent to try to sort the situation out. Whether the game ends in full-scale war, or peace is down to your actions kinda of thing.

Nice and short post eh? :)

[ Friday, May 12, 2006 13:00: Message edited by: Schlotz ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #301
I really love playing in the middle of a big war and having to pick a side.

Also, now that so many things are common between Geneforge and Avernum, how about this: the Shapers need a safe place to carry out their crazy experiments, they find the perfect one: the caves known as Avernum, but there is just one little problem: there's people living there. The leaders decide to just "erase" the avernites.

Invasion and... war!!

Will the Empire (or the Vanhatai care about helping the Avernites?

--------------------
"Inspiration comes from hard work" -Charles Baudelaire.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #302
quote:
Originally written by Marcelo:

Also, now that so many things are common between Geneforge and Avernum, how about this: the Shapers need a safe place to carry out their crazy experiments, they find the perfect one: the caves known as Avernum, but there is just one little problem: there's people living there. The leaders decide to just "erase" the avernites.
Here's an even better idea: how about you never make any suggestions for the future plot direction of the Avernum series ever again?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #303
He got you good. :P

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 7123
Profile #304
Yeah, I like fighting in wars and picking your side, so long as there's a proper reason for the war and that your decisions can affect the outcome in plently of different ways.

I think Avernum and Geneforge shoud be kept seperate since both worlds have completely different plots and do thinghs completely differently, combining the 2 would ruin all the continuity built up throughout the games, especially since Avernum and Exile have been going for such a long time.

Schlotz
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #305
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:

Here's an even better idea: how about you never make any suggestions for the future plot direction of the Avernum series ever again?

I'm not sure if I really got "the humour" in your message... Are you really talking to ME, or in general. I don't see why we should not make suggestions. If you didn't like my idea it's ok. Actually I'd prefer Jeff's opinion. Anyway...

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #306
Yes, Thuryl was directly addressing you. No, Jeff is not likely to comment, and if he does he is then legally obligated to ignore your suggestion.

—Alorael, who would rather see stranded sidhe from Nethergate appear in Avernum (in a cameo, please!) than any other game cross. Or a battle between Jordan and Bojar.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #307
quote:
Originally written by Siegfried der Waelsung:

Apparently the next Spiderweb game in the pipeline is another in the Geneforge series, but I just wanted to put in a plug for what ought to be added to the next Avernum game:

There should be an option for vahnatai player characters.

This assumes, of course, that none of the action will take place on the surface (since the vahnatai are sensitive to light). But I was disappointed that it wasn't an option in Avernum IV.

Well, since the topic starter was inviting to say what everyone would like to see in the next Avernum, I don't care if Thuryl does not like my idea, fortunately he's not the one making the decisions.
Anyway, it's good to be respectful with each other's ideas though...

Greetings.

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #308
You mean your idea was serious? :eek:

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #309
Lost Nethexermumforgeland Core: You, an adventuring party comprised of Roman legionaries and Celtic warriors, stumble across a planar gateway. On the other side, you discover an entire nation of exiles living in caves. However, a shadowy force is altering the Exiles' genetics, causing their very appearance to change. To stop this conversion (or to aid it; the game has a multitude of different endings), you must journey deep into the core of the Exiles' homeland. There you must retrieve to Stone of Night, and make the choice of freeing or subduing their lost souls.

--------------------
:P for clarity.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #310
quote:
Originally written by *i:

Why are you so surprised... creativity is not about coming up with broadly accepted ideas...
;)

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #311
quote:

quote:

Why are you so surprised... creativity is not about coming up with broadly accepted ideas...
;)

See, here's the thing: it's not an original idea. About a dozen newbies before you have stumbled across the idea of mixing the Geneforge and Avernum continuity. It also sucks.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #312
I'm still surprised at all the attention I got for suggesting an idea that it's so *not original*, thanks for your attention Thuryl.

Now, I don't really care if you think it sucks, perception is a very relative thing...

It would be good to see YOU giving very original ideas ;)

Chau!

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #313
quote:

It would be good to see YOU giving very original ideas ;)
Anyone with any common sense keeps their best ideas to themselves and uses them to make their own BoE or BoA scenarios.

[ Saturday, May 13, 2006 16:51: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #314
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Lost Nethexermumforgeland Core: You, an adventuring party comprised of Roman legionaries and Celtic warriors, stumble across a planar gateway. On the other side, you discover an entire nation of exiles living in caves. However, a shadowy force is altering the Exiles' genetics, causing their very appearance to change. To stop this conversion (or to aid it; the game has a multitude of different endings), you must journey deep into the core of the Exiles' homeland. There you must retrieve to Stone of Night, and make the choice of freeing or subduing their lost souls.

--------------------
:P for clarity.

lol
Don't forget the game mechanics: The game uses primarily graphics from Homeland, with PC graphics being a choise between a Geneforge Shaper (for humans), an Exile cave lizard (for Sliths), or an Avernum Haaki (for Nephils). The PCs, in addition to their race, can choose culture with Romans specializing in combat skills and getting attack bonus v. Pylons, Demons and Snakes, while Celts specialize in magic and get a bonus v. Spawners, Goblins and Giant Snakes. There are also Shaping skills that can be unlocked by defeating Rentar Ihrno's ghost. There is also a side-quest to resurrect Erika, completion of which lets you take her into your party as an NPC. Another side quest involves constructing and using Geneforge.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #315
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:

quote:

;)

See, here's the thing: it's not an original idea. About a dozen newbies before you have stumbled across the idea of mixing the Geneforge and Avernum continuity. It also sucks.

Not to mention that Geneforge already has a plot arc established in GF1 which is still being played out and has nowhere near reached its conclusion, so it's just unnecessary to mix the two games.

In terms of Avernum plot ideas, the idea of the surface world invading the underworld was already used in A2. And notice that it's not actually a plot in itself, it's merely a setting in which the main plot can take place.

If you are going to suggest a plot (and I'm not going to discourage entirely), how about proposing something with a beginning, a middle and an end? Something that starts "how about" probably does not qualify...

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 7123
Profile #316
"Not to mention that Geneforge already has a plot arc established in GF1 which is still being played out and has nowhere near reached its conclusion, so it's just unnecessary to mix the two games.

In terms of Avernum plot ideas, the idea of the surface world invading the underworld was already used in A2. And notice that it's not actually a plot in itself, it's merely a setting in which the main plot can take place.

If you are going to suggest a plot (and I'm not going to discourage entirely), how about proposing something with a beginning, a middle and an end? Something that starts "how about" probably does not qualify..."

I didn't suggest a surface world invasion of the underworld, I suggested that there is a civil war either in the empire or the Vahnatai. This thread was created originally for ideas for AV, so if you don't agree with people posting ideas for AV here, then why bother reading/posting in this thread at all? Also, read my first post for plot lines I'd personally like to see in the future.

Schlotz :)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #317
quote:
Originally written by Schlotz:

I didn't suggest a surface world invasion of the underworld
From which you might reasonably conclude that he wasn't talking to you. Get over yourself.

[ Sunday, May 14, 2006 03:49: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #318
Yeah, I was replying to the person *i was talking to, the same person quoted by Thuryl in my quote of his (Thuryl's) post. I hope that clarifies things.

Edit: even so, I can't see how the confusion arose - Schlotz didn't mention Geneforge, didn't use the words "how about" and didn't suggest a surface invasion. In other words not a single thing I said could possibly be taken to refer to him/her.

[ Sunday, May 14, 2006 06:45: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #319
quote:
Creativity is not your strong suit, I'm afraid.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #320
In addition, although this makes me a philistine in some circles, I think the best creative ideas are widely accepted, at least eventually. Creativity that isn't accepted is still creative, I suppose, but that doesn't make it any good.

—Alorael, who would rather exercise his creativity in a medium other than Avernum.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #321
quote:

quote:
Creativity is not your strong suit, I'm afraid.

Well, so you guys still flaming my idea. The thing is, I didn't read the 12 previous pages (maybe I should have), and ok, you can tell I didn't know the idea was suggested before.

Now, let's avoid judging people, let's focus on the posts -(non violent communication.)

Anyway, I still would like to see a Shapers invasion in Avernum (you like it or not), and I am happy that I just said it. I am SO sorry some of you felt so bad that I suggested it, I hope you all are fine.
Saludos.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #322
Not having read the past thirteen pages, I'm wondering about something: has any good idea been suggested yet?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #323
Originally by Kelandon:

quote:
Not having read the past thirteen pages, I'm wondering about something: has any good idea been suggested yet?
You followed the first eight pages. And aside from a minor celebration on page ten over the news that Erika, Rentar, and Garzahd were well and truly dead, you haven't missed much.

Dikiyoba.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #324
How about the Averenties building a geneforge and then turn themselves into Drakons.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.

Pages