Avernum V

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum V
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #175
quote:
Originally written by Reve:

The indoor/outdoor unification:
- It was an interesting experiment, but I think I prefer the way it was in the previous games. It just feels so much bigger in the previous games, and the towns are so disproportionate in size.

Agreed.

quote:
The lack of elevation:
- This added a whole new dimension to the previous games (literally, heh).
I felt that this was very lame. I think that this is what you mean, too.

quote:
No food:
- This is also definitely an improvement
There was food. It just didn't work the way that it had in previous games. In Exile, you needed it to live. In Avernum, it allowed you to rest (but if you felt like walking back and forth outdoors, you never needed to use it). In A4, it healed you.

quote:
No boats:
- Obviously the different exploration boats give you is more fun.
Yeah, I missed boats, too.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4533
Profile #176
I think the engine used in A4 didn't give nearly the same kind of atmosphere for the one used in the previous Avernum's. That being said, hopefully Jeff will use some kind of "hybrid" engine, bring the best of both engines to bear.

As for Avernum 5's setting, bringing back old foes never really made anything new. Maybe do it in the same game, where the foe either makes an escape or you never see them "die" only to reappear later and die horribly at your hands.

Also, consider that the lands of Avernum that we all know and love have had at least three groups of adventurers (A1, 2 and 4) running around and beating the #$!* out of any slightly evil looking creature. Goblins pop up, sure. But eventually races are going to start going extinct and certain areas are going to become rather barren in terms of things to kill and adventure against.

There were those few places to the far northwest in A2 with the Empire checkpoints you couldn't get past. It'd be interesting to find out what lies beyond them, by now most (if not all) of the Empire fortifications would have crumbled, making some nice ruins for adventurers to come and pillage for anything that might have been left behind.

As for style of play, A2 has to be my favorite. You actually felt that your groups actions affected the world, for instance killing the perma-hasted Empire general Limoncelli (sp?). A3 added a nice idea as well, having towns "fall" to the plagues after a certain amount of time. It'd be interesting to see the war being fought in a Wing Commander style, i.e if you fail a mission, the enemy would gain an advantage over your "side" and possibly could take a town/fort or inflict massive losses on their enemy's army. Also in A2, you had to earn your rank and work your way up to see the King, proving your worth to Avernum and in the process gaining use of resources such as the portal in the Tower of Magi.

The only question is this; who'd wage war against Avernum? They're at peace with the Empire, the Vahnatai are rather overused, IMHO, as an opposing "side", the empire of Sliths beyond Bahssikava is 1. pretty far off and 2. as Kelandon said, in an unknown condition. Also these Sliths are supposedly a more civilised and peaceful people then the Sliths in the caves of Avernum. The Nephilim haven't had any significant forces in as long as I know, even those in the forts of A1 weren't exactly trained crack troops. Demons, WAY overused plot device there. Goblins, they'd probably make decent cannon fodder in an army but I can't really see Goblins making up their own "empire". In fact, I can't see any of the other humaniods of Avernum (giants, ogres, whatnot) forming an empire, of themselves or each other.

One thing that I know I’d like to see more of is the politics of the Empire, and its differing parties. We saw a brief sign of it in A3; those trying to stop you from seeing the Empress in Blackcrag Fortress. If it is as delicate as it was made out to be, it’d be a nice change of pace from the caves of Avernum and blindly smashing the first slime to crawl out from between the rocks.
Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #177
Well, A5 could always be A0, you know, the First Party. In fact, I'm working on a little something along those lines, though I do change the history around a bit, well, if it's ever finished, you'll see.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #178
quote:
Originally written by Dastal:

Well, A5 could always be A0, you know, the First Party. In fact, I'm working on a little something along those lines, though I do change the history around a bit, well, if it's ever finished, you'll see.
Well, this has been discussed a few times, but there's just the issue that everybody in the First Expedition dies at the end. Very Shakespearean, but poor form for an RPG. It'd be like in the new King Kong game when you have to play out Kong's death scene.

The motivation is gone when you know you're going to die, and very significant plot warping would be required to let the party escape unscathed.

Unless, that is, you mean the first bands of Avernites to spread out. That might be a bit more interesting.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #179
I suppose it would be interesting to see how some of the first Avernites survive in Avernum, before there was a king and a government and before the wizards had worked all their magic. I'm not exactly sure what it would entail or how feasible it would be, but it is an interesting idea.

Dikiyoba.
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #180
Like I said in a previous post, the Abyss is the new Avernum. Avernum's criminals are sent to the Abyss and sooner or later the Empire will want to start sending people there too. There are also tons of magical and mysterious treasures in the Abyss seeing as how Erika, Pyrog, Khoth, and Grah-Hoth lived around that area. The Empire's main forces were stationed in the Abyss and the Empire couldn't have taken everything when they left and I bet the Empire left all sorts of nasty stuff there in hopes of one day getting their revenge on Avernum. Plus wasn't the Empire teleporter also in the Abyss? So at the very least there's a lot of errant magical energy wrecking all sorts of havoc.

I would also really like to know what happened to the Scimitar now that their benefactor Erika is dead. It would be interesting to see some former Scimitar members trying to bring some order to the Abyss.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #181
quote:
Originally written by Vicheron:

Like I said in a previous post, the Abyss is the new Avernum. Avernum's criminals are sent to the Abyss and sooner or later the Empire will want to start sending people there too. There are also tons of magical and mysterious treasures in the Abyss seeing as how Erika, Pyrog, Khoth, and Grah-Hoth lived around that area. The Empire's main forces were stationed in the Abyss and the Empire couldn't have taken everything when they left and I bet the Empire left all sorts of nasty stuff there in hopes of one day getting their revenge on Avernum. Plus wasn't the Empire teleporter also in the Abyss? So at the very least there's a lot of errant magical energy wrecking all sorts of havoc.
I think you're being a little too inclusive in judging what is and isn't the Abyss. It's just the area between the Chasm of the Spire and the east gates of Bargha.

The Teleporter was just north of the Abyss. Khoth was far to the north, Pyrog off to the west (not to mention dead and thoroughly looted by the time of the Empire's occupation). Grah-Hoth lived to the west. And the Abyss had been pretty much cleaned up by the time of Avernum 4 (cleaned out of Empire surprises, that is).

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #182
1. 2Dastal: once I had an idea that Karzoth and Mariann (male and female leaders of the First Expedition) betrayed the rest of the party and became a sort of lesser demons, dealing with Gra-Hoth in exchange for information about human race.
2. 2 *i and 2 Vicheron: Something to say about Demons. What if the creatures of Ermarian we know as demons are (were) represented from only one side? I have a plot, based on theory of ancient history of Ermarian, that Grah-Hoth and Adze were sort of (Sss-Thsss)-s and Garzahds of their nation and were vanished to Avernum long before Sliths. Wherefrom? Up to you.
3. In A5 I would like to see a reunion of people and Vahnatai in face of ... well here I expect smthng like "old enemy" or "new disaster".
4. I expect something intriguing, like Erika Redmark and Rentar-Ihrno as Crystal Souls (who knows, may be Bon-Ihrno was waiting outside of Rentar's castle for them). That's also in my plot.
5. 2Drakefyre: Now I can see, somebody here can still agree with my theory.
6. And more, I expect, that A5 will have much more of a plot, not a battle. It will be much more interesting to have an opportunity to prevent a cataclysm, than to fight tons of monsters when disaster is here. And that is what my plot is proud of.
7. I dont think that Shakespeares end doesn't fit RPG style. At least it fits when your hero has to become an eternal guardian of the world it lives in even if that means to stay forever somewhere between the living space and the ... hmm... Where do demons originate?

Edit: And Abyss is not a new Avernum. Just a piece of land of Avernum with NOTHING to explore. Otherwise such anchorites as Erika and Khoth wouldn't have lived there, I guess.
Edit2: some typo

[ Tuesday, March 28, 2006 22:02: Message edited by: Meeshka ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #183
I would really like to know a bit about the gods or deities they worship. Something is giving the priests power. Plus there was an angel in Avernum 1.

Oh and I really hope that there are more debuffs in A5. Curse from the Exile games should be brought back, maybe web too. A lower resistance spell would be really nice too. It's really annoying how you constantly get cursed by monster but you can't curse them back.

[ Tuesday, March 28, 2006 09:40: Message edited by: Vicheron ]
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #184
Who are 2Dastal, 2Drakefyre, etc?

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #185
2 (To) Dastal, etc.

Dikiyoba thinks homophones aren't fun unless being used as a pun.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #186
2Meeshka (hee-hee): Is this a Blades plot you're designing? Please don't. Limit yourself to one villain. Besides, I've got dibs on Adze. :P

Vicheron: I think JV purposely avoided detailing the priests and gods of Avernum. Other than the Anama and the Church of the Divine Lucre (which doesn't count), there are no major religeous organizations.

If someone really wants to do an A0, I'd recommend a scenario revolving around helping Micah establish Avernum, defending from sliths, etc.

--------------------
I can't find the 'anykey'!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #187
(italics added for emphasis)

quote:
Originally written by Meeshka:

4. I expect something intriguing, like Erika Redmark and Rentar-Ihrno as Crystal Souls (who knows, may be Bon-Ihrno was waiting outside of Rentar's castle for them). That's also in my plot.
Have you played A4? If not, do so and tell me this is still a good idea.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #188
2 Dintiradan:
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Is this a Blades plot you're designing? Please don't.
It is not a one, so I don't. I didn't say it's a scenario, but a plot. I don't write BoA scenarioes. Just the ideas. Like one where UFO is landing Ermarian and killing every super warrior and overhero with blaster cannons. ;)
quote:
Besides, I've got dibs on Adze.
What is that for? I'm not going to use him anywhere. Well, almost nowhere, but I promise, I'll pay for the usage! :)

2 Ephesos :
quote:
I didn't and definitely I won't be able in a month. So if it's not a big spoiler, can you tell me in couple of words, what's wrong with Rentar as a Crystal Soul? Or may be there's a link you can post to me?

To Dikiyoba :
quote:
Dikiyoba thinks homophones aren't fun unless being used as a pun.
Was it that you are against homophones used in personal references?

Edit: How on earth can I subscribe to this topic? I diddn't get any notices on the answers :confused:

[ Tuesday, March 28, 2006 21:59: Message edited by: Meeshka ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #189
You cannot. UBB doesn't have this feature.

However, I made an rss feed once that allows you to see the latest replies on a certain forum or topic. You can put it into any feed aggregator (http://reader.google.com and http://www.bloglines.com are two good ones; Opera and Firefox have built-in tools for this) and receive notifications whenever new things are posted.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #190
quote:
Originally written by Meeshka:

2 Ephesos :
quote:
I didn't and definitely I won't be able in a month. So if it's not a big spoiler, can you tell me in couple of words, what's wrong with Rentar as a Crystal Soul? Or may be there's a link you can post to me?

Um... it is a spoiler. A big spoiler. A very, very, very big spoiler. In fact, it's such a big spoiler that I feel the need to do THIS.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #191
Ephesos, the idea came to me in spring 2005. But I never thought it can be the... well, tobe what it came to be.

Edit: Seems like reader.google is not going to send me a notification. No update on google with Crazy Cat's rss feed, although feed itself is updated. :c(

[ Tuesday, March 28, 2006 23:08: Message edited by: Meeshka ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #192
I fixed the thing so that it now validates as an RSS feed (there were some problems before).

Google sometimes takes a while before the feed is updated - any web aggregator does. Also, I don't know any service that sends you email updates for any RSS feed you enter - FeedBlitz does, but only once a day, which is extremely slow for Spiderweb.

But Thunderbird, Firefox and Opera can all parse a feed.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #193
2 crazy kitten: Thanks. Still, I think I prefer sometimes to look over all the current topics. That's much more interesting. :)

BTW: answer to PM, please. I need it to start some work on.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #194
Yes, I'll get to that as soon as I'm home from work (1 hour or so). :)

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6979
Profile #195
Going back an earlier part of this thread, I wanted to comment on Jeff's statement about the Vahnatai. As a registered spidweb fan since E1, I have to disagree that one major reason for the Vahnatai's coolness is their alienness. For me, in A2 (the only one where I have liked them at all) they were similar to Tolkien's elves. Ancient, wise, powerful. Human, really, just nobler and wiser. Rentar-Dumbo (that's my favorite of her "titles") I always thought was annoying. In E2/A2, she was an isolated weirdo who never talked to anyone. Thinking that she would be the dominant figure in Vahnatai politics for the next 50 years is almost unbelievable. Anyway, E3 disappointed me deeply with the plot twist, and A4 hasn't changed that (though I'm only to Dharmon, so far). I really hope with A5, the noble side of most of the Vahnatai in E2/A2 reasserts itself.
anyway, Jeff, I have much enjoyed your games over the years. Thanks.

--I have now gotten to the point that I realized that Jeff agrees with me about at least some of the above. Should have waited before posting...

[ Monday, April 03, 2006 05:07: Message edited by: AncalagonTheBlack ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #196
Rentar-Dumbo is not that different from other powerful wizard type characters. Erika, Rone, X, Linda, Garzahd and even Solberg are all pretty eccentric. Erika wasn't into politics but Rone became the King's advisor, and Linda ran the Tower of Magi and they even let her back after the first incident.

About the plot of A5, did anyone find it a bit convenient that King Micah just happened to have a genius son when Avernum needed one? Whatever happened to his other son and what about his wife? His other son has a legitimate claim to the throne and could potentially be used by people who want to destroy Avernum. It would be interesting to see a faction trying to cast doubt on Starrus' claim to the throne and rallying to have Micah's other son take over.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #197
quote:
Originally written by Vicheron:

About the plot of A5, did anyone find it a bit convenient that King Micah just happened to have a genius son when Avernum needed one? Whatever happened to his other son and what about his wife? His other son has a legitimate claim to the throne and could potentially be used by people who want to destroy Avernum. It would be interesting to see a faction trying to cast doubt on Starrus' claim to the throne and rallying to have Micah's other son take over.
Micah's other son was a bit of a dunce... I doubt he survived long in Avernum, even locked away in the Castle. I assume that Micah's wife died of the manifold diseases and syndromes associated with prolonged cave-dwelling.

I mean don't forget... Micah's dead as well by the time A4 starts.

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #198
And yes, there has been some hand-wringing over Chevyn and Starrus.

[ Sunday, April 02, 2006 14:40: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #199
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Micah's other son was a bit of a dunce... I doubt he survived long in Avernum, even locked away in the Castle. I assume that Micah's wife died of the manifold diseases and syndromes associated with prolonged cave-dwelling.

I mean don't forget... Micah's dead as well by the time A4 starts.

I know that Chevyn is an idiot but that just makes it easier for him to be manipulated. A group like the Darkside Loyalists could try to frame Starrus for a murder or make people think that Starrus isn't really Micah's son, then use Chevyn to challenge Starrus' rule and start a civil war. Most people in Avernum don't remember that Chevyn is an idiot. The Chevyn supporters could just say that all the rumors about Chevyn being an idiot was started by Starrus, who usurped Chevyn's rightful position as king of Avernum.

Pages