Avernum V

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum V
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #350
Not all names starting with R are the same person.

—Alorael, who is either way off the mark on sarcasm or sadly betrayed.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #351
Not all fools are the same person, either. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #352
quote:
ncp as in non-character person, you know noobie.
Insulting the moderator staff is highly frowned upon and is dealt with swiftly. NPC is the correct term.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #353
quote:
Originally written by *i:

Insulting the moderator staff is highly frowned upon and is dealt with swiftly.
So if someone insults someone who's not a moderator, nothing happens?

[ Monday, May 22, 2006 09:24: Message edited by: Mr.Bookworm ]

--------------------
Polaris
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #354
No, it's just slightly frowned upon and the response takes more time.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #355
I'm assuming that Randomizer was joking. (Unlike the other guy.)

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #356
Oh, come on Stareye. That's a clear case of either identity theft or sarcasm.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #357
(Sniff, sniff.) Is something burning? :P

By Retlaw May:
quote:
As someone mentioned earlier, a weakness of the Avernum series is that the ncp's don't seem to react to much in their conversations. I would like to see ncp's react to what they have heard of your deeds.
True, but making responsive NPCs requires a lot of work. The simplest way is to add either one line or another based on the current state of an SDF, and even this takes time if you have to do it for every single NPC. It's similar to the way Kel made the dialog different depending on the size and race of your party in Bahs; it's a nice touch, but probably far too much work for the payoff. To bad dialog doesn't run under the Infinite State Machine model. :P

EDIT:
quote:
Insulting the moderator staff is highly frowned upon and is dealt with swiftly.
quote:
So if someone insults someone who's not a moderator, nothing happens?
quote:
No, it's just slightly frowned upon and the response takes more time.
Excellent: as long as I don't insult Kelandon, Delicious Vlish, and Alorael on this forum, I'm relatively safe from fallout.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
Prison guards will have their own cantina featuring a wide variety of tasty treats that will deliver snacks to the guards while on duty. The guards will also be informed that accepting food or drink from any other source will result in execution.

[ Monday, May 22, 2006 12:50: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #358
While we're on the attack, "noobie" isn't a word. Newbie or noob, you n00b.

—Alorael, who is pretty sure that on Spiderweb all fools are the same person because everyone is the same person.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #359
Originally by Dintiradan:

quote:
Excellent: as long as I don't insult Kelandon, Delicious Vlish, and Alorael on this forum, I'm relatively safe from fallout.
It's never wise to insult *i or Drakefyre either, you namby-pamby, ineffective excuse for an evil overlord! You couldn't even put your helmet on straight if instructions weren't written down in your Evil Overlord Guidebook! Snaga! :P

Dikiyoba doesn't mind characters that don't respond to much, as long as most characters are interesting. Meeting individuals living away from settlements and "outside" was a nice feature of A4.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #360
Gee, sorry my typing error brought about such comments ;)

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #361
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

It's similar to the way Kel made the dialog different depending on the size and race of your party in Bahs; it's a nice touch, but probably far too much work for the payoff.
This, by the way, is made much easier by the fact that "you" can be singular or plural. I told Jeff that I'd do the same thing in A4 if I were him, but he said that it was too much work. He really wouldn't have had to change more than a handful of bits of code, though.

Adding and removing strings is really nice for responding to different events already having occurred in the world, though, and making a scenario/game slightly more linear makes this much easier, too.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #362
quote:
Originally written by Semisubpar:

Everything is fine now, but a looming cataclysm threatens destruction! The only problem with the plot is that if all goes well, nothing exciting happens. There's a reason heroes show up when things look darkest.

—Alorael, who wouldn't mind a cataclysm returning Avernum to its hardscrabble roots, though. Avernum was better when steel was rare. (Better for players. Not so very nice for inhabitants.)

If a cataclysm is prevented, bad things will still happen. A lot of people will want to leave Avernum. Valorim will have trouble absorbing the new arrivals. There could be accidents with the portal. There'll also be speculations and theories about unnatural causes of the the cataclysm. Lots of people are going to think that the Vahnatai were behind it. The Anama may take advantage of the situation by telling people that such events are caused by ramapant use of magic. Both Avernum and the Empire may be forced to spend massive amounts of resources to solve the problem, limiting their ability to respond against other threats, such as bandits, chitrach investations, those random undead attacks that pop up out of nowhere, etc. Plus the solution to the problem may not even be permanent.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #363
I was a little tired at the time or I would have logged back on and completed my comment on ncp. The next line would have been:

Characterized by poor spelling and being hard to understand because of it.

I spend a lot of time going back and editing out typos. If you know how slow a typist I am you understand why I hate having to read them in other people's posts.

quote:
While we're on the attack, "noobie" isn't a word. Newbie or noob, you n00b.

Actually in you Google "noobie" you will find it is used as a word and is considered interchangeable with "newbie" in meaning. There are also a few websites that use it.

[ Tuesday, May 23, 2006 20:59: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #364
quote:
Originally written by Vicheron:

If a cataclysm is prevented, bad things will still happen. A lot of people will want to leave Avernum. Valorim will have trouble absorbing the new arrivals. There could be accidents with the portal. There'll also be speculations and theories about unnatural causes of the the cataclysm. Lots of people are going to think that the Vahnatai were behind it. The Anama may take advantage of the situation by telling people that such events are caused by ramapant use of magic. Both Avernum and the Empire may be forced to spend massive amounts of resources to solve the problem, limiting their ability to respond against other threats, such as bandits, chitrach investations, those random undead attacks that pop up out of nowhere, etc. Plus the solution to the problem may not even be permanent.
Well, I don't want to understate the amount of grief we all have after a cataclism breakes through on Earth. But here we are discussing an interesting plot for an epic game and its continuation. May be it is time to have some rest from overevil disasters. But writing history we always concentrate on global events: wars, revolutions, falls and rises of imperia, etc. In a hundred years a cataclism like tsunami in Thailand won't count as a good plot for a movie or a book known worldwide.
Please, don't think I'm too cyniñ about it. I hate when people die, fight or somehow else show their foolishness.

------------------------------
HHGtG: Ermarian - mostly harmless. Beware of adventurers. They steal, calling it a good deed for the sake of ... whatever they are questing for.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #365
Just start with a minor disaster that traps a remote village from the rest of Avernum. Your party was "volunteered" to find a new route back to the main cave system. You have a base and can explore through different levels. Give lots of false routes and side trips that take you away from the desired route.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #366
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Just start with a minor disaster that traps a remote village from the rest of Avernum. Your party was "volunteered" to find a new route back to the main cave system. You have a base and can explore through different levels. Give lots of false routes and side trips that take you away from the desired route.
Cliche, isn't it? For about 99% the beginning of Avernum 2, but that might work.
I think I got it right, A5 is already being plotted. So I'm not sure we should make proposals for "the start", "the end" and "the place".
So details may be those, which count right now.
I'd like beer in Avernum to posess some antimagic traits, like anti-terror and anti-mindcontrol :)

--------------------
HHGtG: Avernum: Making deals with undead don't mention anything concrened to Ephesos ;) . They hate him. They really do. Don't know why.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #367
quote:
Originally written by *i:

quote:
ncp as in non-character person, you know noobie.
Insulting the protractor staff is highly frowned upon and is dealt with swiftly. NPC is the correct term.

FYT :P

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #368
quote:
Originally written by Vicheron:

If a cataclysm is prevented and bad things happen, they are unexciting because they are out of the control of the party and because the game is cataclysm prevention, not post-prevented-cataclysm cleanup.

Blaming the vahnatai for another disaster is a good way to cause mass disgust on these boards.

—Alorael, who didn't realize NPCs were protractors. Contractors, perhaps? (See generic crypt in Truffle Days.)
Apprentice
Member # 7160
Profile #369
What I would like to see in A5 (which is probably a few years away) are some places with autogenerated wandering creatures, where I could build up on exp.

The way I play games, I like to max out my stats as much as possible. I am about 1/3rd of the way through A4 right now, and I think it is cool how creatures stay dead after you kill them, but it would be nice to have some places where monsters lived and would come back. There could be a Chieftin or a breeder creature or something that you could kill that would end the spawning of the creatures in the area, but it would be nice to be able to walk around and level up.

My 2 cents.

This is such an awesome game, by the way- much more fun than most of the stuff on my PS2.

Dave
Apprentice
Member # 7160
Profile #370
Oh yeah...

Being able to import characters from A1-4 into A5 would be super sweet. :-)

Or having some kind of bonus in A5 (stats, gold, armor/weapons, etc.) if you have characters from registered copies of A1-4 or the GF series, etc. would be cool too.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #371
Please don't double post. You can add information with the "Edit" button.

Importing characters would be a problem because each game starts you at level 1 and builds up. The game would be trivial if you started with a character who could tear through everything.

—Alorael, who wouldn't mind some areas that didn't just become entirely depopulated with ease. On the other hand, because monsters stop giving you experience once your level is too high, more monsters generally wouldn't result in higher levels.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #372
quote:
Originally written by Xenodave:

There could be a Chieftain or a breeder creature.
Did you mean "and" instead of "or"? I hope that in A5 we won't see so detailed "reason" of the growth of creature populaton. Only if it is slime, breeding by dividing the slime from the pot (or whatever there was in A3). :)
And am I the only one who thinks that beer is repulsing terror and any mind control from outside of one's mind?

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Apprentice
Member # 7160
Profile #373
>>Importing characters would be a problem because each game starts you at level 1 and builds up. The game would be trivial if you started with a character who could tear through everything.<<
-Thou Shalt

TS- I disagree. I love powering up and blowing everything away when I play RPGs. But I know that some people like started up from level 1. In addition to letting people skip the powering up aspect of a future game, importing characters from other games would also making it more likely future game buyers go back and buy previous titles, and would be a reward repeat customers. EA does this all the time in their PS2 games. you can import teams from previous titles to new ones, and you get bonuses starting new games if you have saved files from other EA games on the same saved game card. They are not the only company that does this. Its a smart idea.

>>Did you mean "and" instead of "or"? I hope that in A5 we won't see so detailed "reason" of the growth of creature populaton.<<

-Ford Prefect

I mean "or". It would depend on ths situation- if you had a cave full of goblines, they could keep showing up on repeat visits until their "chieftin" was killed. Slimes or lizards or other creatures could have a "slime mother" or "Lizard Queen" in the same way; once the specific creature was killed, the monsters would no longer show up in that area, but if the player liked being able to kill more creatures to buff up, they could stick around a certian area and get exp without having to move forward in the game. If the creatures annoyed another player who did not like having creatures in areas they had already killed, they could just kill the mother/queen/chieftin etc and the creatures would no longer show up.

Mr. Vogel, is a very creative guy and could probably come up with all kinds of interesting features for the new game, these are two that I would enjoy. Obviously, A4 is already pretty sweet. These are just ideas to throw out there.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #374
quote:
Originally written by Xenodave:

EA does this all the time in their PS2 games.

What games do you mean?

quote:
Slimes or lizards or other creatures could have a "slime mother" or "Lizard Queen" in the same way
As for the slime, you should play A3 to see how they breed. And as for lizards... I misread it at firs and thought you insult sliths. But then I got the idea. I think there should be some hack and slash in every cave, but not an endless. May be it should be repopulated some time later, but not while you fighting through it. That will come out more realistic.
Anyway, this is RPG game, not an arcade FPS.

quote:
Mr. Vogel, is a very creative guy and could probably come up with all kinds of interesting features for the new game, these are two that I would enjoy. Obviously, A4 is already pretty sweet. These are just ideas to throw out there.
Don't throw your ideas. Just put them here. :)

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Pages