Avernum V

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum V
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #275
Well, Infernal used to have "666" in her name ;)

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #276
"The main problem with making it is that it'd have to be a very large scenario, and my free time is limited. I'd rather work on something smaller in scope than start something massive and maybe never finish it. Besides, I've already got one BoA scenario in the works."

I don't think it would have to be massive. Just have most of it flooded and maybe add a new cave?
Oh, and whats your new BoA scenario?

--------------------
"I knocked him out, but I managed to hit the reply button before he fell down."-The person behind him.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #277
quote:
Originally written by Major:

Oh, and whats your new BoA scenario?
No comment.

Wait, that was a comment. Damn. Well, I'm still not telling, except to say that I am entirely unsure that it won't get me run out of the SW community on a rail.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #278
EDIT: Never mind. It was a stupid comment, born out of a misunderstanding and being overly blind.

[ Friday, May 05, 2006 05:39: Message edited by: Mc 'mini' Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #279
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

No comment.

Wait, that was a comment. Damn. Well, I'm still not telling, except to say that I am entirely unsure that it won't get me run out of the SW community on a rail.

Heh... that's the best kind, right?

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Apprentice
Member # 7079
Profile Homepage #280
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:
Originally written by Aussieavernum:

an evil necromancer
[i]NO![/i] Not as a central character. Just NO. You know what that makes all of the enemies, right? You know how easy that is to justify with a weak plot?

And that plot's just a bit cliché. I doubt that the Empire would just hand over the throne to an obvious fake... since when has any Empire official dabbled in necromancy? Any official, ever?

It was not an Empire official, he was a rebel mage pretending to be the heir to the throne. I must have had something else on my mind when I posted because I can't think of any reason why I would suggest that he would be a necromancer. They would hand over the throne to him because they don't know that he is a powerful mage so they think the fake evidence he made using magic is real. And maybe like in A2, that could be like a major side quest because in A2 you had to kill Garzahd, destroy the portal and return the crystal souls. And maybe he should reveal his magical power after weakening the power of the whole army by employing giants, trogloytes, gazers, demons and undead to attack the Empire army until it is so weak that he could defeat the whole army because of the power of his minions (Giants, troglodytes, gazers, demons and undead.) I forgot why he reveals himself but I think I had a good reason. when you kill him you might find out that he is a member of an organization that is trying to destroy the Empire for some reason. Then it turns out that the organzation is a group of avernites who want reveng o the Empire for teleoprting them to Avernum. If this organization is just like the darkside Loyalists (whoever they are) the Darkside Loyalists changed their name. Or maybye I should just abandon the idea alltogether.
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #281
I shall not comment on the rest of the plotline, but please, please, please do not have a massive army made out of giants, trogodlytes, gazers, demons, and undead. We're really, really tired of all those things.
Massive hackfests are not good. And if you must, at least create original enemies

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #282
quote:

They would hand over the throne to him because they don't know that he is a powerful mage so they think the fake evidence he made using magic is real.
You know, I get the feeling that the Empire would still run the records by their mages before accepting a random claim to the throne.

quote:

employing giants, trogloytes, gazers, demons and undead to attack the Empire army until it is so weak that he could defeat the whole army because of the power of his minions (Giants, troglodytes, gazers, demons and undead.)
Trogs and giants working together? Gazers and... well, anything working together? Not going to work.

quote:

I forgot why he reveals himself but I think I had a good reason.
I should hope so.

quote:

Then it turns out that the organzation is a group of avernites who want reveng o the Empire for teleoprting them to Avernum. If this organization is just like the darkside Loyalists (whoever they are) the Darkside Loyalists changed their name.
But the Avernites already got revenge on the Empire. Many, many times. Then they got to save the Empire from the Vahnatai, which must've been an even better feeling (having former enemies indebted to you is incredibly satisfying).

You don't know who the Darkside Loyalists are, do you?

[ Friday, May 05, 2006 13:43: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 7079
Profile Homepage #283
quote:
You dont know who the Darkside Loyalists are do you?
Well, if I had known who they were I wouldn't have written that down.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #284
quote:

...It was not an Empire official, he was a rebel mage pretending to be the heir to the throne.

No emperor in history willingly gave up his throne to a guy with a piece of paper. The only way such a person could get a throne would be by leading a successful revolution against the emperor.

PS The rest of your scenario sounds too similar to Avernum 3. Unless what you are saying about monster plagues are just a background history for a smaller scenario in which you defeat the evil emperor.

Either way, if you haven't made any scenarios before, I'd suggest starting with something much smaller. Once you make a couple of good small scenarios you can start thinking of an epic of this magnitude.

[ Saturday, May 06, 2006 23:36: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #285
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

No emperor in history willingly gave up his throne to a guy with a piece of paper.
Um - abdication? :D

- Archmagus Micael

[ Sunday, May 07, 2006 08:16: Message edited by: Archmagus Micael ]

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #286
Superego: No, Dintiradan! Don't make a useless post with the sole purpose of repeating what everyone else has said! Instead, give advice on how to improve the scenario.
Id: Do it. Do it. You know you want to. Besides, that line is begging to be used.
Ego: (Click.)

--------------------
Giants, troglodytes, gazers, demons and undead. Oh my! :D

Seriously, choose something other than that for your first scenario. It appears to be far too large for a first try, and besides, plagues have been done before. Over and over and over again (See A3, A4, Undead Valley... and that's ignoring BoE).

Besides, Trogs and Giants hate each other. Play A3.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #287
Make the mage a pretender with a wholly fabricated claim but great political and diplomatic skill and the best interests of the Empire at heart, though, and you have a more interesting story. Should your party support the mage, who would be a fine emperor if he actually had any ties to the throne, or the true (distant) heir who also has the best of intentions but far less acumen for rulership?

—Alorael, who adds his voice to those who do not like plagues. At all.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #288
quote:
Originally written by Archmagus Micael:

quote:

No emperor in history willingly gave up his throne to a guy with a piece of paper.
Um - abdication? :D

- Archmagus Micael

Can anybody think of an example of an emperor who had willingly abdicated with no outside preassure just because somebody presented a better claim to the throne? Most abdications I can think of were prompted by a choice of "either you take off that crown, or we'll take it off together with your head".

--------------------
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #289
*cough, cough*

It's not the best example, but he did willingy abdicate, if only to change his mind a short while later.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #290
There was a period — I'm afraid I forget just when — when Japanese Emperors routinely abdicated, as soon as their heirs were old enough to take over the many ceremonial duties. As evidently remains true today in many east Asian societies, unwritten rules of respect for seniority were more important than formal authority, and the ex-Emperor retained paramount dignity. The officially retired ex-Emperors therefore continued ruling the country, without the inconvenience of ceremonial duties, until death.

I wouldn't say this really counts, though.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #291
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

It still counts. Trust me. Zeviz didn't say it had to be in the right context. ;)

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #292
quote:
Originally written by Archmagus Micael:

quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

It still counts. Trust me. Zeviz didn't say it had to be in the right context. ;)

- Archmagus Micael
Yes I did. :P
quote:

Can anybody think of an example of an emperor who had willingly abdicated with no outside preassure just because somebody presented a better claim to the throne?
However, the main reason I asked was general curiousity about abdications in history, so in that sence yours and SoT's posts contain exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

EDIT: SoT, did the whole "respect for parent" thing work out in practice for Japanese emperors? Or was the emperor's position mostly ceremonial anyway? (In Russian Empire, emperors often completely reversed the policies of their predesessors. In one case the father was even deposed by a coup led by his son.)

[ Monday, May 08, 2006 11:52: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #293
The emperor's power in Japan has varied greatly, but during the period of so-called cloistered rule the emperor had a fair amount of real authority. Retiring freed the emperor from his ceremonial role without actually requiring him to relinquish all power, although some devolved to the new emperor.

Parental respect had less to do with it than the fact that the retired emperor just didn't release the reins of power and everyone else continued to accept his (or her) authority.

—Alorael, who wonders if Drakey should "retire" in order to continue to rule with a better concealed iron fist.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #294
This is one of several ways in which Ran was King Lear the way King Lear would have written it: in Japan, retirement was supposed to work out for a ruler.

I suspect Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead might have been Hamlet's Hamlet. Any candidates for Macbeth's Macbeth? (Hmph; maybe, in fact, Macbeth; which puts Macbeth, and Macbeth, into peculiar sets.)

Or Othello's Othello?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 7079
Profile Homepage #295
Maybe a massive cavequake should occour in Avernum, killing several people, causing chasms to appear everywhere due to the cave floors falling into the Vhanatai lands and undiscovered caves far below Avernum and destroying supplies. And the two tribes of Vhanatai that were once the Olgai Tribe, will fight wach other in Avernum, and the lack of supplies causes ordinary people to become bandits and steal from everyone.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #296
*sigh*...

quote:

Maybe a massive cavequake should occour in Avernum, killing several people,
With the magnitude you're describing, it would kill everybody. Those who lived would quickly starve.

quote:
(continued):
causing chasms to appear everywhere due to the cave floors falling into the Vhanatai lands and undiscovered caves far below Avernum and destroying supplies.
So you want the entire cave system to collapse? Everything would die. The continents above Avernum would drop down a few feet, disrupting surface life. If the cave floors are falling all the way down to Vahnatai lands already, they'll have enough momentum to crush any undiscovered caves below.

It would destroy everything, not just supplies.

quote:
(continued):
And the two tribes of Vhanatai that were once the Olgai Tribe, will fight wach other in Avernum,
No. Just no. If they've got tons upon tons of cave rock falling on them, they'll be dead before they can fight each other. And why would they start fighting one another?

quote:
(make it stop):
and the lack of supplies causes ordinary people to become bandits and steal from everyone.

But they'll all be dead.

I really want this thread to die.

--------------------

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #297
Aussieavernum, if you want that scenario idea to be more realistic, you could say that, instead of collapsing most of the caves, the quake cracked cave wall, opening a passage towards a new section of the cave system. (I suspect Jeff will do something like this for A5.) And a reason for food shortage could be a crop-killing mold whose spores were carried out of the new cave system (by wind, travellers, etc.) Finding a way to eliminate this mold could be a major quest in your scenario.

quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

I really want this thread to die.

Then don't post in it. :P

If you don't want Blades to die, don't laugh off potential new designers every time they come up with an idea. Instead, tell them how to make it better.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 7079
Profile Homepage #298
Shouldn't this thread be moved to the general forums. A5 is NOT A4. Well at least I hope it isn't A4. :eek:
quote:
If you don't want Blades to die, don't laugh off potential designers
This is an idea for A5 not BoE.

[ Thursday, May 11, 2006 19:42: Message edited by: Aussieavernum ]
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #299
Originally by Aussieavernum:

quote:
Shouldn't this thread be moved to the general forums. A5 is NOT A4. Well at least I hope it isn't A4.
If you have to ask, then the answer is no. Especially not if you have to ask after nearly thirteen pages.

Dikiyoba.

Pages