Avernum V

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum V
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #125
The only thing i want to seein A5 is X's Anvil spell, to hell with the plot so long as i can drop an anvil on an enemy (or group of enemies)

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Way too many lifeforms are carbon-based. Put this in your signature/AIM Profile if you're not.
Warrior
Member # 6912
Profile #126
a group of enemies...anvil area effect lol it can even be the new version of clouds of blades, but instead of spining blades it will be constantly falling anvils
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #127
Since the anvil is falling from a great height, I think there should be a time delay of a few rounds from casting until impact. You pick a target spot and then try to force the enemy to occupy that spot during the impact round. This would only work on high health point monsters, but wouldn't it have been neat for nailing those shades.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #128
There's a BoE scenario with the anvil spell implemented. Just so you know.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #129
Name, link and author please? This I have to see...

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #130
Well, once you've got the name (which I don't know), the link ought to be here.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #131
Shouldn't be too hard in BoA, though I haven't tried.

- Make several terrains with anvils, all shifted up in various amounts. Make them passable.

- When using a special ability, cutscene with the sequence of anvil terrains on an enemy's square, then do damage.

Or something to that effect, as I said, I don't know enough how to implement it. I am going to try do this for scenario #2, however.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
When I capture the hero, I will make sure I also get his dog, monkey, ferret, or whatever sickeningly cute little animal capable of untying ropes and filching keys happens to follow him around.
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #132
Avernum 5 could take place in the Abyss since the Abyss is the new Avernum. All of society's unwanted are sent there, it's dangerous, untamed, unexplored, and mysterious just like how Avernum was when it first started.

I had a great idea for a BoA scenario that takes place in the Abyss but I'm really bad with scenario editor so if I do try to make the scenario it'll probably take many many decades. The basic premise is that there's trouble in the Abyss, an old foe has risen, and you're sent by the King to investigate. The giants are beginning to organize under a new or old leader, depending on how you look at it. There are new factions rising in the Abyss. There's a new religious order trying to help the Abyss fend off its enemies. There's a new town built by necromancers, they help defend the Abyss against giants and monsters so they're tolerated, and there's an Avernite research colony exploring the area and trying to study Erika's tower.
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #133
That actually sounds like a decent idea for A5, minus the "Giants! We're all gonna die!" part. There were also some unexplored northern tunnels in A2 (you might explore them in A1, haven't played it) and some lands that were under the control of the Empire. The Abyss has all the charm of A1 and A2 in that completely random monsters and puzzles assail you in the outdoors.
Now we just need an original foe or challenge. I agree with Jeff in that monolithic evil trying to destroy the world is bad.

(I want the name of that anvil scenario!)

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #134
quote:
Originally written by Vicheron:

an old foe has risen,
This phrase makes me die a little inside. New foes are so much better... or would you rather kill Rentar-Ihrno in UV again?

The rest of that idea actually sounds pretty good. Perhaps trying to do too much in one scenario, but it might work.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #135
By Vicheron:
quote:
an old foe has risen
I think there is a need for all prospective scenario designers to submit the name of their villain if they are going to use game material. For instance, it wouldn't do if three scenarios came out telling how Garzahd has returned.

Dibs on Adze!

I love the premise, though. One of the biggest things I missed in A2 was the Abyss. When is this set in terms of the series? Before A2 (and the Empire war), before or after A4?

EDIT: By Ephesos:
quote:
New foes are so much better...
Sometimes, the old foes are underdeveloped. C'mom, Adze's this big baddie midgame in A1, and he doesn't even get a line!

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

[ Wednesday, March 22, 2006 13:26: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #136
There was the Abyss in A2, I thought. Bargha and the whole area had fallen to the Empire.

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #137
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Name, link and author please? This I have to see...
Demon, by Khoth. Unfortunately, the spell doesn't quite function the way I'd like, but still.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #138
quote:
Originally written by Wonko The Sane:

There was the Abyss in A2, I thought. Bargha and the whole area had fallen to the Empire.
Very little of the Abyss was accessible, which I think is what he meant.

[ Wednesday, March 22, 2006 13:48: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #139
There are going to be a lot of things in my scenario but it all ties together. It takes place some time after Avernum 2, after the Abyss has been rebuilt. I had originally wanted it to take place around the time of Avernum 3 but now I want it to take place after Avernum 4.

*Spoiler for my scenario which probably won’t be finished until Avernum 8 comes out*
-
-
-
-
-
-
The old foe is Pyrog. He has risen as a lich and is mobilizing the giants. How has he risen as a lich you ask? Maybe it's not really Pyrog, maybe the giants somehow brought him back, maybe it has something to do with the newly founded settlement of necromancers in the Abyss, maybe it has something to do with the fact that his lair was taken by the Empire during the war and turned into a laboratory, or maybe it's a combination of those things as well as other factors.

[ Wednesday, March 22, 2006 14:42: Message edited by: Vicheron ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #140
quote:

The old foe is Pyrog. He has risen as a lich and is mobilizing the giants. How has he risen as a lich you ask? Maybe it's not really Pyrog
Ow, ow, ow... why?! WHY?!!!

At first, I read this and thought "Tell me Vicheron knows that Pyrog is dead..."

Next, I thought "Risen as a lich? Anything but an undead dragon!"

Next, I realized how bad of a pun "An old enemy has risen" was.

Last, I recalled my experience testing Shipwrecked, where SPOILER is the main villain. That was horrible... they had no character, no motivation, and nothing at all to do with the character's past appearances. Please don't do this. Pick a new villain, so that we're not left with an empty characterization of an established member of game canon.

EDIT: Hah, beat you to the post, Wonko!

[ Wednesday, March 22, 2006 15:12: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #141
quote:

The old foe is Pyrog. He has risen as a lich and is mobilizing the giants. How has he risen as a lich you ask? Maybe it's not really Pyrog, maybe the giants somehow brought him back, maybe it has something to do with the newly founded settlement of necromancers in the Abyss, maybe it has something to do with the fact that his lair was taken by the Empire during the war and turned into a laboratory, or maybe it's a combination of those things as well as other factors.

AAAAAAARGH!!! PAIN!!!

Ouch. Do NOT bring back Pyrog. Please, please. The plot "Something is attacking Avernum. Stop it." is waaaaay overused. Liches are especially bad, as they invite non-justification like a lightbulb draws moths. Perhaps an powerful artifact that the Empire created in Pyrog Labs has been stolen by someone. Perhaps the party must appease the ghost of a powerful Empire mage that was killed in the war. You could even use your demons idea. But DON'T have giants and a lich attack everything.

EDIT: Ephesos seems to have posted first. Ah well.

[ Wednesday, March 22, 2006 15:13: Message edited by: Wonko The Sane ]

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #142
A villain's motivation and justification (or lack of it) is very important. I'd rather see an old enemy with appropriate motivation than a new character without any.

I also enjoy being introduced to the villian(s) as characters with names and personalities, rather than just existing. This is probably rather difficult to do in a scenario, though.

Dikiyoba.

[ Wednesday, March 22, 2006 15:30: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #143
Well you don't know the whole story but I'll tell you since by the time the scenario's finished no one will remember any of this.

*Spoiler*
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
It's not really Pyrog. During the war a group of demons were summoned by the Empire to help revive Pyrog so they could learn its secrets. The war ended before they could finish the experiment. The demons were trapped with powerful magic in Pyrog's lair when the Empire left. Some giants inadvertently discovered the secret lair where the demons were imprisoned. The demons enslaved the giants and had the giants help the demons take possession of Pyrog’s corpse. The demons then had the giants kidnapped a bunch of humans, enslaved them and turned them into their priests. These priests returned to the part of the Abyss settled by humans. They pretend to be good and help the people there so they could convert people to their new religion which was created by the demons. The converts basically unknowingly pledge their souls to the demons. The ultimate goal of the demons is to have the humans and giants fight a prolonged war so they can collect everyone’s souls eventually gathering enough power to break through their prison and return to the netherworld to become kings. The demons are just using Pyrog to mislead everyone. The demons want to destroy the new settlement of necromancers by tricking people into thinking that the necromancers raised Pyrog and lost control of him because the necromancers have the best chance of figuring out where the souls of the dead are going.
Warrior
Member # 6912
Profile #144
A good chat half way in the game with the villan is always nice, especialy if you dont know its the villan.

edit: wow u must of posted like 2 seconds ahead of me

[ Wednesday, March 22, 2006 15:45: Message edited by: rantalot ]
Warrior
Member # 6912
Profile #145
can u join the religion lol
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #146
It's not polite to double-post, rantalot. Just edit your new comment into the old post.

Dikiyoba.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #147
I'm struggling to find anything constructive to say here.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6912
Profile #148
i am very sorry like i said a few days ago i am a noob at forum stuff

a quick question to exile/avernum vets. I know there are vanahtai lands under avernum and then there is upper avernum above avernum...has it ever been explained in A1 or A2 just how many layers there are? Also, jeff said that A5 will be in a totaly new place in avernum how can u have a new place if you can have mages scry and make mapes? How can u really find an area u didnt know existed with that sort of magic?
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #149
Originally by rantalot:

quote:
How can u really find an area u didnt know existed with that sort of magic?

Headbanging. :P

(That's walking into every wall you see hoping to find a secret passage. Which will probably not be necessary in A5, since it isn't necessary in A4.)

Dikiyoba.

Pages