Avernum V

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum V
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #375
He probably means EA's sports games. Though it's hard to tell, because of the other 2.1 million EA games.
And there are many people who would disagree with you on A4 being "sweet".

--------------------
Polaris
Apprentice
Member # 7160
Profile #376
>>He probably means EA's sports games. Though it's hard to tell, because of the other 2.1 million EA games.
And there are many people who would disagree with you on A4 being "sweet".
<<

You get bonuses in the first metal of honor game for PS2 [the saving private ryan one] if there were other EA saves on your memory card. I haven't played that many other EA games. My brother in law is a college football nut, and he showed me the feature with bringing players and teams from old EA games to the latest new one.

As for RPG...

I've played several RPGs, and A4 is the only one that *doesn't* have "random" monster fights in one form or another. [including having to leave an area and coming back and all the monsters are back.] Personally, I like that ability to gain the exp and power up without being forced on to the next part of the game.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #377
I only know many sport games by EA. That makes sense, when you transfer your team from one trace/field/country to another, changing the game. Not suitable for RPG though. Simply because the time, when the events take place in A1-A2-A3-A4 are separated by quite a long period so you can't have one team, capable to fight both in A1 and in A4. May be only mages. I don't know how much time shall pass from A4 to A5. But we are talking for common case, so apparently it will be again 10-20 years, or even more, which I prefer.
I didn't quite get what you mean by "random monster fights" in any form. I thought that you encounter rather random monsters, so the fights usually differ. And if you mean refighting in the same cave until monsters stop respawing (a small local plague in every cave), I think I should vote for that. That will be interesting. It was pretty a tedium to wander in A1-A3 after you've killed all the monsters available. :)

P.S. Hey, that was 99-th for me. My first century of posts. Hope not all was spam.

[ Friday, May 26, 2006 20:28: Message edited by: Ford Prefect ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #378
In the late '80s, Might and Magic II allowed for transfering Might and Magic I characters into the game. But they stripped out all the items so you didn't have much to show except higher levels. You still had to gain equipment and all the new special skills. Also they added extra player classes that you could only get from the start.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #379
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

In the late '80s, Might and Magic II allowed for transfering Might and Magic I characters into the game. But they stripped out all the items so you didn't have much to show except higher levels. You still had to gain equipment and all the new special skills. Also they added extra player classes that you could only get from the start.
Mind you, the extra classes (Ninjas and Barbarians) both kinda sucked, since Ninjas were missing one very useful advantage Robbers had (the ability to accompany other characters on their Plus quests), and Barbarians were just Knights with a poorer equipment selection.

And experience levels only carried over up to level 7 -- any characters above level 7 were dropped back to level 7.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #380
Although I think importing characters in Avernum would be an awful idea, it is pretty common among Avernum's closest relatives in the RPG family. Besides Might and Magic, this was a feature of the Wizardry series (cited by Jeff as a major influence) and the AD&D Gold Box games. I want to say the Bard's Tale also did this, but I can't remember.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #381
The AD&D Gold Box games were another special case, though -- if you created new characters in any game after the first in the series, they were actually generated at a higher level than level 1, in order to achieve parity with imported characters. If an import feature is going to work, it can't just naively import characters from the previous game at full strength while generating new characters at level 1; that's an obvious recipe for an unbalanced game.

[ Saturday, May 27, 2006 05:15: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #382
Since Jeff tweaks each games spells, skills, etc., it would be to start each game fresh and not be unbalanced with a high level character that is missing something or has spells that are not used in the next game.

Besides if you need a boost that badly wait until there is a character editor or trainer to change your character.

Pages