MMMMM

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: MMMMM
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #200
I'm sure some of them did.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #201
Today's name, Hemlock, is a plant that falls into the category of medicines which, while quite possibly effective, are somewhat less than safe. The ancient Greeks used hemlock to treat the pain of arthritis. They also used it, in only moderately higher doses, to execute people. Go figure.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #202
IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/hemlock.gif)

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #203
Oh, I really like that last drawing of yours, Alex. I think I'm going to buy some Hemlock right now...

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #204
There are too many funny drawings on this topic. Alex, the one on the last page is funnier than iGod is sometimes... And I agree with Thralni.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #205
It's nice to have fans. :D I shall hopefully continue to amuse you all.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #206
Yes excellence. :D

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #207
Most famous death by hemlock ever? Socrates'.

Isn't it the case though, Thuryl, that in medicine, anything that has a medically useful purpose is nevertheless fatal in large doses? COX-2 inhibitors come to mind right of the bat. There's also our old friend, alcohol.

The Greeks' greatest discovery ever was moderation. It's a shame that this discovery seems to be lost frequently.

[ Sunday, September 18, 2005 19:09: Message edited by: Drew ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #208
Well, yes, practically anything can kill you if you take enough of it -- some antibiotics are almost harmless even in massive doses, but that's the exception rather than the rule. It's when things frequently kill people even when used at therapeutic doses that you start to worry. :P

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #209
A bit of a twist on the formula today. Today's name, Puerperal Fever, isn't a treatment but a disease -- a disease mostly caused by doctors. It's a highly dangerous infection which occurred in many women who gave birth in hospitals in the 19th century.

A physician named Ignaz Semmelweis suggested that maybe fewer women would be infected if doctors would wash their hands after performing autopsies and before delivering babies. This suggestion drastically reduced the death rate from puerperal fever in his ward, but also made him very unpopular among his colleagues, who thought his ideas were ridiculous and didn't like being told what to do. Semmelweis was ostracised from the medical establishment and ended his days in an asylum. Today, of course, doctors routinely wash their hands before and after treating patients -- at least, most of the time.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #210
Just goes to show... great minds are rarely understood. :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #211
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

It's nice to have fans. :D I shall hopefully continue to amuse you all.
Don't forget your biggest fan Alex. I liked you before you were funny AND famous.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #212
IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/perpetualfever.gif)

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #213
Semmelweis didn't recommend washing with soap and water, though. He prescribed rinses with a rather caustic chlorinated lime solution. If I were one of his students, I would have protested that the man was crazy too.

The other interesting fact is that the hospital at which Semmelweis worked had two obstetrical clinics, one staffed mostly by the aforementioned medical students and one staffed by midwives. The midwives had a neonatal mortality rate that was something like 10% of that of the students'. Nobody ever questioned the need for doctors.

—Alorael, who wants to know the effects of chemically intriguing solutions on babies. Less than puerperal fever, yes, but all that great?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #214
You know, that's one of the more depressing ones on this thread... particularly since the solution doesn't really sound all that much better. Caustic chlorinated lime... sounds fun!

Alex, you're way too good at these. Seriously.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #215
Another medically intriguing problem of hospitals in the 1800's was the transmission of other diseases by doctors visiting multiple patients without "scrubbing" between visits. I would be curious to know how doctors in other cultures dealt with this issue, or if indeed they had already discovered that cleanliness was a boon to their patients.

*this message sponsored by ether*
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #216
Today's name, Mallets, is the first historically-recognised form of anaesthesia. In ancient times, when it was absolutely necessary to render someone unconscious for surgery, it was traditional to get them horribly drunk and/or beat them over the head with a mallet until they lost consciousness. Really.

... Okay, it's lame. But I'm tired and I've done 20 of these already. Give me a break.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #217
Since one of the primary purposes of anaesthesia was to stop the patient from feeling pain, the sense of this technique sounds questionable.

But then again, I suppose there is worse pain than a hammer to the skull. Also, surgeons can work more easily if they don't need to restrain a patient.

I am eager to see Alex's cartoon.

Because I am teh plagiator. Crudely drawn, bad text and overly unoriginal. As fan-art goes. :(

[ Tuesday, September 20, 2005 04:33: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #218
Don't be so hard for yourself! I actually like the thing. :)

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #219
Reminds me of a scene in "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." (The new one with Jim Carrey.)

"Max! Bring me my sedative!"
The dog brings a mallet.
*Clunk!*

[ Tuesday, September 20, 2005 05:47: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #220
IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/mallets.gif)

[ Tuesday, September 20, 2005 06:25: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #221
How can you expect anyone to object to one of these, Thuryl? Seriously, I can't think of many people that would've taken it this far, and you've got Alex to back you up with illustrations now.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #222
And still 10 more to go.

Anyway, I'd rather take a single wallop with a huge mallot than being beat multiple times. Less, pain, you know, before anyway.

I meant if I had to. Put down those mallets! :P

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #223
What about a massive wallop, then after you're unconscious many smaller ones.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #224
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

I would be curious to know how doctors in other cultures dealt with this issue, or if indeed they had already discovered that cleanliness was a boon to their patients.
How about past cultures? I just happen to be reading through Leviticus for fun (no really it is fun) and the culture recognized bodily fluids, skin rashes, dead bodies, and mildew as unclean. The people are regularly told to wash after contact with something unclean and stay away from other people for the rest of the day.

Of course, having sex also made you unclean. From this I speculate a few things. One - sex in the morning was out of the question unless you planned on calling in sick to work anyway. Two - there were no such things as quickies. I mean if you're gonna get dirty anyway and have to scream 'Unclean!' at everyone else you saw that day, you might as well take your time, right? :P

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley

Pages