MMMMM

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: MMMMM
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #251
Capitalism offers choices to the consumer.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #252
We had a "How would you like to die" thread once, didn't we?

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #253
Do you want your children to have the shameful memory that their pappy died from a major drug overdose? No! Far from it! You want them to know that you died a 'peaceful' death while sitting down in a chair. Choose the chair today!
[/add for the E chair}

Are those the only two options? It seems like there must be other practical methods to kill someone painlessly. (If you consider electrocution painless.)
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #254
Let's have another election. At least this one would be decisive.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #255
Some death-penalty states still offer hanging and firing squads as methods of execution too. Not sure if there are any other methods still in use in the USA.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #256
I wasn't sure about the electric chair, but the idea that executions are done by hanging in the US sounds very weird. It's most certainly cruel and unusual.

But let's not let this degrade into another discussion on Death Penalty (or did we ever have one?). :P

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #257
Hanging, done right, snaps the neck rather than strangling. I doubt it would be much worse than the electric chair.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #258
Modes of execution in the US:

Lethal Injection (37 states and Federal Gov't)
Electrocution (10 states)
Lethal Gas (4 states)
Hanging (3 states)
Firing Squad (3 states)

quote:
Idaho - Lethal injection. If impractical due to lack of “technical assistance,” then firing squad.
quote:
Illinois - Lethal Injection. If lethal injection held unconstitutional, then electrocution.
quote:
New Hampshire - Lethal Injection. If “impractical, then hanging.
quote:
Delaware - Lethal Injection. If lethal injection held unconstitutional, then hanging.
quote:
Oklahoma - If lethal injection held unconstitutional, then electrocution. If electrocution held unconstitutional, then firing squad.
quote:
Utah - Lethal injection. If court holds that defendant has right to firing squad choice under prior law, then firing squad. If lethal injection held unconstitutional, then firing squad.
quote:
Washington - Lethal injection, unless inmate elects hanging.
quote:
Wyoming - If lethal injection held unconstitutional, then lethal gas.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #259
Today's name, Flagellation (that is to say, whipping), may not seem like much of a medical treatment but it did find favour during one particular epidemic of disease. When bubonic plague was rampant in Europe, many people believed the disease was a punishment for their sins, and therefore whipped themselves in an attempt to atone and thereby avoid the plague.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #260
It also made the plague seem better in comparison.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #261
My, this thread has become rather morbid of a sudden. :P

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #262
I guess that the failure to safely and effectively treat diseases can't always be hilarious.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #263
Apparently some people like flagellation. I guess this Bud's for them.

On a happier note, though, aren't the flagella of micro-organisms cool? The fluid mechanics alone of the process is remarkable. They're neat little micro-machines. Anyone (and by 'anyone', let's face it, I mean Thuryl) know anything about how they work?

[ Thursday, September 22, 2005 07:51: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #264
Wikipedia has a pretty good explanation.

[ Thursday, September 22, 2005 08:10: Message edited by: Sunset ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #265
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

Obviously ECT is not widely considered to be the most humane or free of side effects method, but it has been proven to have some success.
Actually, it is widely, but not uncontestedly, considered free of major negative side effects in the medical profession. The popular view is inaccurate. I don't think anyone likes the procedure, but there's nothing wrong with it. It is perfectly humane, although certainly a treatment to be chosen only when others fail.

quote:
The electric chair and its characteristic convulsions might make this therapy seem much more dangerous than it is. Of course, no one with heart problems and depression should seek this therapy.
Defibrillators, ECT, and the electric chair have nothing in common besides running current through a human. I don't know if enough current reaches the heart, or enough current-induced signalling, to cause problems. Do seizures commonly cause death in those with heart conditions?

quote:
I know that in the past ECT had to be done to the extent of causing involuntary muscle spasms, but I do not know whether that is still thought to be necessary today. ECT, like any other non-lethal electrical or physical shock, does not consistently remove long term memories, but it does interrupt short term memory. Brain cells do die, but being shocked into happiness is certainly an fascinating at the very least.
ECT causes grand mal seizure, which causes muscle spasms. Today paralytics are given to prevent actual convulsion, as they could cause injury in the patient and have absolutely no benefit. It isn't shocked into happiness, either. Why it works isn't known, but it definitely alleviates depression and a few other conditions, mostly in the short term.

—Alorael, who enjoys riding his pro-ECT hobbyhorse. Prove that it's harmful and he'll give it up.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #266
You would suppose my post to be against ECT? Maybe I over neutralized my statements too much. Even though it might not be as dangerous as some potent mind altering drugs, I am irked at the thought of how this method was discovered. Maybe the way in which this started was nice and painless, but I need to look that up when I have some time.

Flagellation used to be a common practice in exceptionally devout monasteries, convents, and some religious schools, but I never knew that it was "prescribed" as a medical preventative for anything. I am hoping for some disfigured stick figures for this one.

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #267
quote:
Originally written by Friend of Electroconvulsive Therapy:

Defibrillators, ECT, and the electric chair have nothing in common besides running current through a human. I don't know if enough current reaches the heart, or enough current-induced signalling, to cause problems. Do seizures commonly cause death in those with heart conditions?
Seizures commonly cause death, but not necessarily from heart failure. Some forms of epilepsy can be surprisingly lethal. If a seizure continues for more than a few minutes, it can start to cause permanent damage to neurons.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #268
If seizures don't cause heart problems, electrically induced seizures probably don't either. Strong enough convulsions can also cause fractures too, which pose their own problems.

ECT didn't start painlessly. In fact, it started horrifically in a way that puts most of Thuryl's pseudomedicine to shame. It was probably most effective as a threat: don't act psychotic in the ward or you'll be sent into grotesque convulsions as they fry your brains, and you might break some bones too!

The difference is that most of the negatives can be controlled, and there actually is a benefit.

[Edit: Look, if you typed out a sig almsot ten thuosand times, youd' make a few mistakes to.]

—Alorael, who would like to point out that the Surgeon General does not recommend causing epilepsy to limit schizophrenia. Just, you know, in case you were wondering.

[ Thursday, September 22, 2005 16:48: Message edited by: Question Most Authority ]
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #269
Is the sig mistake accidental or deliberate, Alorale?

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #270
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

Is the sig mistake accidental or deliberate, Alorale?
Did you join the mistake police while on vacation?

*this message sponsored by the Blademaster*
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #271
I don't see how some one could effectively whip themselves, however. Except for maybe on their legs and feet.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #272
Easy. Over the shoulder.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #273
Did they stop teaching self-flagellation technique? In my day we all had to learn how to make ourselves scream for mercy and then not give it.

—Alorael, who blames such extreme measures for his occasional signaturial lapses.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #274
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Easy. Over the shoulder.
*experiments with an imaginary whip*

Hmmm, I suppose you could get a couple of good ones that way. But not near as much as having someone do it for you.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #275
If you pay me enough and the whip has sharp studs I'll whip you.

[ Thursday, September 22, 2005 17:08: Message edited by: Wise Man ]

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Pages