MMMMM

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: MMMMM
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #376
If only we could find something that can stop viruses "completely". I know there is a method of doing just that but the term has left me. I do remember that it was far too costly to be practical.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #377
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

If only we could find something that can stop viruses "completely". I know there is a method of doing just that but the term has left me. I do remember that it was far too costly to be practical.
Mass eradication of virii? Or what do you mean?

[ Friday, September 30, 2005 00:44: Message edited by: Aran-something. ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #378
There really isn't a practical treatment that works against a wide variety of viruses once they've infected someone, nor do we expect that there ever will be. The trouble is that viruses are all very different from each other, so if you target something specific to a virus, it'll only affect one or two kinds of virus.

Also, "virii" is a completely ludicrous plural of "virus". The correct plural is "viruses".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural_of_virus

[ Friday, September 30, 2005 00:51: Message edited by: Inaction ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #379
IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/inaction.gif)

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #380
Wikipedia is perhaps unnecessarily mysterious in that "Plural of Virus" page. The plural in Latin (if it existed) would almost certainly have been "vira," which one can deduce from the genitive stem "vir-" and the gender of the noun (neuter).

I mean, unless they're going to postulate that it would be a heteroclite, but that seems somewhat absurd. Granted, the nominative case is a bit odd for a neuter noun, but still.

[ Friday, September 30, 2005 06:53: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #381
I thought 'virus' was a perfectly normal Latin word meaning 'poison'. The biological term 'virus' was originally short for 'filtrable virus', meaning dangerous stuff whose particles were so small that they passed through filters that could block bacteria.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #382
In usage, it's a perfectly normal Latin word: if you said "virus" to a Roman, he would've understood what you meant ("poison"). It's a bit odd in declension, however, as it is missing some of its parts, and the parts that it has are slightly irregular, although not horribly so.

And declension is the thing that matters when we're talking about what the plural is.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #383
I think quality is better than quantity for the last few stick figure drawings from Alex. The last one made me laugh much harder than all of the ones that he did right after coming back from his little vacation.

I would save all of these medical mishaps if it did not mean clicking through 16 pages... (congratulations for creating a thread that lasted a month and hundreds of posts!)

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #384
this make you think how funny is the fact that s topic about "A" ends being a topic about "Z"

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #385
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

A little pain never hurt anyone!
Love it.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #386
And now this topic can finally die. Or maybe not. But we still need to get it to 400 posts. And Alex is now banned from using normal text in his posts. And I just revived it.

Sorry, must be a little rusty on my posting structure. :P

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #387
I was thinking of interferons. It was a few years ago I read something in a text-book about their anti-viral abilities.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #388
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

I was thinking of interferons. It was a few years ago I read something in a text-book about their anti-viral abilities.
It's true that interferons stimulate the immune system, improving the effectiveness of the immune response against viral infections and some types of cancer. Unfortunately, they're not always effective, and they have fairly serious side effects. They also depend on the patient having a reasonably strong immune system; infants, the elderly, and patients who are already seriously ill tend not to benefit as much due to their weakened immune systems.

[ Tuesday, October 04, 2005 20:04: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #389
quote:
Originally written by chicho:

this make you think how funny is the fact that s topic about "A" ends being a topic about "Z"
How did it do so?

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #390
I'd imagine that he means that it started out about one thing, and ended up being about something entirely different.

EDIT: Typo.

[ Wednesday, October 05, 2005 00:19: Message edited by: Johnno ]

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #391
:) Um ... very belated congratulations to your 5M postcount, Thuryl, and to this enlightened thread. It took me over an hour to read through, but every page was worth it. Congratulations too to the illustrators Alex and Gizmo (I like your Mona Lisa).
Let's keep alive this topic a little bit ^_^

I wondered though why Thuryl mentioned laudanum, hemlock and atropine but let away skribbane. Was it intention?

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #392
My guess is that he just wanted existing things, and nit game-drugs.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #393
;) If you would open the link you could see that it did exist as a remedy (and still does).

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #394
Mary Jane isn't Skribbane.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #395
"Mary Jane" might be what spy meant. I don't know where the custom of substituting fictional names as a pseudonym for real drugs came from, especially since there appears to be nothing in the CoC about it. (There is something about "discussing illegal activities", but the name itself is not illegal).

--------------------

Pages