MMMMM

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: MMMMM
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #301
Today's name, Atropine, was originally used more as a cosmetic than a medicine, but the line between the two isn't always clearly defined, especially in this case. A toxin derived from certain plants, particularly henbane and deadly nightshade, atropine was fashionable both in ancient times and during the Renaissance; women applied it to their eyes to dilate their pupils. Of course, this caused extreme sensitivity to light and would often temporarily render them almost blind, but evidently that was a small price to pay.

It's still used in controlled doses to dilate the pupils for ophthalmic examinations, in emergency treatment of some heart conditions, and as an antidote for insecticide or nerve gas poisoning, but using it just so you have pretty-looking eyes is generally discouraged.

EDIT: Woo, 300 posts. And still 5 days to go! Let's see if we can make it to 400!

[ Sunday, September 25, 2005 04:31: Message edited by: Atropine ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #302
gah. I have the best idea for a comic of that one. If only I had MS paint and an image host.

--------------------
Ignorwhat?
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #303
I doubt it will get to 400. Its possible, though.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #304
We need to either come up with a good discussion or start sqamming. Quick. Or do it after Thuryl is done.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #305
Yes, lets sqam to 400 posts.

--------------------
Polaris-- New location.
Babelicious
Member # 39
Profile Homepage #306
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Only Marathon 2 works for PCs.
M1A1 is a conversion of Marathon to Aleph One. My experience is that it's more or less complete.

Thuryl: DMPA shots for libido reduction?

[ Monday, September 26, 2005 00:03: Message edited by: Andrea ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #307
Today's name, Structured Water, is a catchall term for a spate of water-related medical hucksterism that began in earnest with the polywater debacle of the late 1960s.

A Soviet physicist during that time found that if water was passed through very narrow quartz tubes, it sometimes came out with unusual properties, including high viscosity and altered boiling and freezing points. Other researchers in the USSR, the UK and the USA found similar results, and for quite some time the generally accepted hypothesis was that this was because the water molecules in polywater had, of their own accord, stably arranged themselves in some unusual conformation.

Eventually, as electron microscopy and other techniques were used to analyse polywater more carefully, it was found that samples of "polywater" were invariably contaminated with small amounts of dissolved material and suspended solid particles, and that these accounted for its unusual properties. So there wasn't anything special about the water itself at all. D'oh.

As you might imagine, quacks jumped all over this and didn't particularly care when it was discredited. Sadly, there are still plenty of two-bit mail-order outfits all too happy to sell you clustered, unclustered, positively-charged, negatively-charged, ionised or oxygenated water, or machines using filters, magnets or ultrasound to produce the same.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #308
I read that a mass hysteria broke out when people believed that "polywater" would "restructure" any normal water it came into contact with. Who needed a nuclear weapon when he could turn the entire ocean into a glibbery mass of jelly with a small test tube? ^_^

I'm not sure about this however.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #309
Yeah, there were some suggestions along those lines. I wouldn't call it "mass hysteria", but it was enough to worry some scientists at the time. Kurt Vonnegut's novel Cat's Cradle was inspired by the idea. It's completely implausible, though; water is water, and associations between molecules are transient and constantly changing. There just aren't multiple different stable structures for liquid water.

[ Monday, September 26, 2005 04:45: Message edited by: Structured Water ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #310
Ionized water is a hoax?!? Then what am I gonna do with these 50 cases in my garage?

Seriously, I think I remember my parents buying some in my lifetime.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #311
Speaking of other forms of water... there is the 'high pressure' ice. Here is a cryonics site that recommends storing brains at 2000atm of pressure. High Pressure Cryonics?

I would really think that would squish the brain, but maybe not.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #312
Going back to Laudanum, some random surfing has left me with this:

quote:
Paracelsus [...] made the original Laudanum from [...] alcohol, opium, gold and crushed pearl -- "and many other expensive ingredients".
Incidentally, I've heard of gold leaf being taken as a medicine elsewhere - is that rubbish as well?

[ Monday, September 26, 2005 07:32: Message edited by: Aran-something. ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #313
I'm not sure what ionized water is. It's either water with impurities (mineral water?) or water that, like all water, contains some hydronium cations and hydroxide anions.

Deionized water is filtered to remove the aforementioned impurities. It's not the same as boiling and condensing water to distill it, but the result is similarly a purer water. It's used a fair amount in labs, and I suppose it's another kind of water to drink if you're a fan of extreme purification.

—Alorael, who should mention here that an interesting rough analysis in the New York Times concluded that if all the money spent on commercial bottled water were instead directed to water distribution, everyone in the world would have clean (unbottled) water to drink.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Babelicious
Member # 39
Profile Homepage #314
Drinking deionized water is a great idea if you hate yourself. It tastes awful and is somewhat corrosive.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #315
quote:
Originally written by Andrea:

Drinking deionized water is a great idea if you hate yourself. It tastes awful and is somewhat corrosive.
Just like sulferacid then. I have some of that stuff. Its really nice to see it burn away things.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #316
Taste bad, quite possibly. Corrosive? It's pure water. It has a pH of exactly 7, except it will almost immediately absorb carbon dioxide from the air and become very slightly acidic. It's significantly closer to neutral than your tapwater is likely to be.

Sulfuric acid is not "slightly corrosive." Sulfuric acid is a strong acid and very corrosive. I wouldn't recommend drinking it.

—Alorael, who also does not recommend consuming an equal number of moles of strong base after you realize that drinking strong acid was a mistake. It works much better on paper than in your stomach.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #317
Distilled water isn't particularly good for you, because it will have the effect of leeching minerals out of your system.

I doubt it would really be a problem, but normal water is a lot cheaper.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #318
Distilled water? Bad? C'mon, I drink that stuff sometimes. I found a bottle in the boot of my car, it tastes normal.

--------------------
Polaris-- New location.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #319
My family gets distilled water. Of course it takes normal, and tastes much better then tap water or some bottled water. I've never heard of it leaching minerals out of one's system, and assuming you have a relatively healthy diet I don't see why it would be that much of a problem.

[ Monday, September 26, 2005 15:30: Message edited by: Sunset ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #320
No, it's not particularly healthy to drink distilled water, but it's not going to kill you. It's certainly a far lower risk than drinking possibly contaminated water if you're in an area where that is a concern.

—Alorael, who would rank drinking distilled water as a health hazard somewhere near drinking soda. It's probably not good for you and it's not going to be a problem if you don't do it excessively.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #321
I'd be willing to argue that distilled water is much better for you than any kind of "soda". Our water has a way of turning the diswasher walls yellow, and we still drink it. Apparently it's pretty clean, as of last test.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #322
quote:
Originally written by WST ben:

Our water has a way of turning the diswasher walls yellow, and we still drink it.
Sounds like you have iron in the water. Does it also smell like sulphur in the late summer? There is a bacteria that eats the iron and exudes sulphur, resulting in unpleasantness no matter what.

*this message supports natural spring water*
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #323
quote:
Originally written by Khoth:

Distilled water isn't particularly good for you, because it will have the effect of leeching minerals out of your system.
Allegedly, it can also rupture cells due to osmotic pressure. But I'm not sure if that's true or an urban myth.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #324
Distilled water certainly does have the capacity to osmotically rupture cells if you inject it into your bloodstream. So don't do that. But drinking enough water to disrupt your body's osmotic balance is extremely difficult -- you'd have to drink more than 20 litres in a day. Water intoxication generally only occurs in unusual circumstances, such as when a dehydrated person drinks a very large volume of water in a short time.

[ Monday, September 26, 2005 21:27: Message edited by: Structured Water ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #325
Well, I don't think that a maximum of 100ml a day would be fatal. I daresay I'm safe.

ed:it ficksed tipos...

[ Monday, September 26, 2005 22:08: Message edited by: Johnno ]

--------------------
Polaris-- New location.

Pages