MMMMM

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: MMMMM
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #75
quote:
Originally written by Fenfluramine:

Today's name, Bloodletting, is a real blast from the past. A widely-held theory in past centuries was that disease resulted from an imbalance of the bodily fluids. Fevers were believed to result from an excess of blood, and were therefore treated with extensive bloodletting. If the patient's condition worsened despite treatment, well, that was clear evidence that not enough blood was being taken.

Bloodletting was popular until the 19th century, when people finally started to suspect that the connection between massive blood loss and death was a causal one.

And there was absolutely no malady that could be actually cured by bloodletting? I heard it was used excessively and for many sicknesses that it had no effect on (or worsened), but not that it was utterly useless.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #76
Today, there's a grand total of about three conditions for which bloodletting is indicated. During the heyday of bloodletting, one of those conditions didn't exist and the other two hadn't been discovered.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #77
Ah. So it's not useless, but it was at the time it was being used. That clears it up. :)

Edit: George Washington allegedly died partly due to bloodletting.

[ Monday, September 05, 2005 00:34: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #78
quote:
Originally written by Fenfluramine:

Today's name, Bloodletting, is a real blast from the past. A widely-held theory in past centuries was that disease resulted from an imbalance of the bodily fluids. Fevers were believed to result from an excess of blood, and were therefore treated with extensive bloodletting. If the patient's condition worsened despite treatment, well, that was clear evidence that not enough blood was being taken.

Bloodletting was popular until the 19th century, when people finally started to suspect that the connection between massive blood loss and death was a causal one.

I learnt about that on a trip to Soverign Hill about 4 months ago. The guy said that they used to think there were too much of either blood, water, and another thing (IIRC he said it was bile). For the water, they would place a hot cup on the patients chest, and then pop the blister that would appear. I can't remember the other ones.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #79
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/fenfluramine.gif)
I'm sorely tempted to use an emoticion...

Oh, to heck with it! :D

This guy just keeps on getting better.

To Thuyrl: This comes from Hippocrates Theory of Four Humours right? An imbalance of elements weithin the body (Greek elements, i.e Wtaer, Fire, Air and Earth) caused all illness. So, if you had asthama, you didn't have enough air, so you had to breath in fresh mountain air. And, another way to cure fevers was to sit in cold baths, supposedly to get rid off extra heat.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #80
IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/bloodletting.gif)

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #81
quote:

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/bloodletting.gif)
*stares blankly for a minute then starts laughing hysterically, runs out of breath, and falls over dead*

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #82
I must fail to get it then.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #83
quote:
Originally written by Benny Boy:

I must fail to get it then.
Vampires perceive no pain.

Shouldn't the moon be fully illuminated, Alex?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #84
He's taking away her knee pain through bloodletting.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #85
My humor is not for the thick.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #86
quote:

I strongly agree that I am foolish and contemptible, but, though I disagree with Ben's philosophical and political views, I don't think he is unintelligent; intelligent people can be short-sighted.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #87
All right, my friends. Some of you have been keeping secrets. I want you all to go back to the door and leave the rest of your sanity there, okay? And don't come back until you do!

—Alorael, who will reiterate that he does not get a cut of the sanity. What would he do with it anyway? He's just looking out for the interests of the resident fluffy turtles.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #88
quote:
Originally written by Egregious:

quote:

I strongly agree that I am foolish and contemptible, but, though I disagree with Ben's philosophical and political views, I don't think he is unintelligent; intelligent people can be short-sighted.

Actually, this didn't come out quite as I meant it. I sort of combined the two things I meant to say by accident because I was running out the door and only had 4 seconds to post.

I was trying to say to Ben that my humor isn't for everyone and to you that you are, perhaps, not so quick on the uptake as it quite obvious bloodletting is the subject of the picture.

[ Monday, September 05, 2005 16:53: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #89
tDrakey: Whats with the title?

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #90
Title? Thuryl made the title of this thread. Some nonsense about Rome and such.

*this message sponsored by whichever drug Drakey was on when he went on his rampage*
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #91
Has anyone else gotten one besides Alex and Salmon?

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #92
I think all of Drakey's boyfriends got the nod.

ps. why all the name changes? going incognito?

*this message presupposes that Drakey went soft in the head*

[ Monday, September 05, 2005 22:19: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #93
Okay, this one isn't exactly a medical procedure, but it's certainly a famous medical blunder.

The Tuskegee Syphilis Study was, as the name suggests, a medical study into the effects of syphilis, conducted by the United States Public Health Service (a branch of the US government). In 1932, when the study was started, the only available treatments for syphilis were compounds of arsenic and heavy metals, which were only moderately effective and caused severe side effects up to and including death. Furthermore, many people who contracted syphilis never progressed to the terminal stage of the disease, even if untreated. So it seemed as if it'd be a good idea to follow the course of untreated syphilis and see whether the drugs were actually helping more patients than they killed.

So far, so good. Syphilis was common among poor black men in Alabama, so it was decided that the study group was to be selected from among that population. 400 syphilitic men were told they had "bad blood" (a folk term for the symptoms of syphilis) and offered free medical treatment. Over the next 40 years, the men were subjected to a variety of tests including painful and potentially dangerous lumbar punctures (spinal taps) under the guise of "special treatments". Once penicillin, a safe and effective treatment for syphilis, was widely available, the U.S. Public Health Service went to great lengths to prevent the participants from receiving information about it.

Unsurprisingly, many of the patients in the study eventually progressed to tertiary syphilis and died. If one good thing came out of the whole sorry business, it's that once the existence of the study was revealed to the public, it motivated the development of the modern requirement for informed consent in all medical treatment.

[ Monday, September 05, 2005 22:40: Message edited by: The Tuskegee Syphilis Study ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #94
Wait, what? Once they had a safe and effective treatment, they let these guys continue to go untreated? For what purpose?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #95
Good question, and there's no simple answer. Partly it was because after decades with syphilis, the damage had pretty much already been done -- even penicillin can't reverse organ damage if administered in the late stages of the disease, although in some cases it can halt the progression of damage. Partly, though, it was simply because the experimenters still wanted to know about the natural course of a syphilis infection in humans.

[ Tuesday, September 06, 2005 00:30: Message edited by: The Tuskegee Syphilis Study ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #96
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

I think all of Drakey's boyfriends got the nod.

ps. why all the name changes? going incognito?

*this message presupposes that Drakey went soft in the head*

There are five.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #97
I've seen Alex, Zorro, and Salmon... who else?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #98
Andrew. And Student of Trinity

Edit:

Andrew- "By Committee"
Alex- "Skip to my Lou"
Salmon- "1/2 man, 1/2 amazing" (can't do special characters)
Zorro- "Lack of Vision"
Student of Trinity- "Electric Sheep One"

Sorry for spoilers. :P

[ Tuesday, September 06, 2005 02:05: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #99
Okay, Trinity's is good. The others make no damn sense. But then, what did I expect?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.

Pages