MMMMM

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: MMMMM
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #351
For those who don't know, by the way, those commas are the European equivalent of decimal points. I mention this only because over here, 139,386 means 139386, or over one hundred thousand dollars, which clearly isn't what you meant.

EDIT: Oh, and the throat IS part of the pharynx.

quote:
Wikipedia sez:
The pharynx is the part of the digestive system of many animals immediately behind the mouth and in front of the esophagus. In mammals, it is where the digestive tract and the respiratory tract cross, commonly called the "throat" (which term may also include the larynx) The pharynx attaches to the larynx, which is the first element of the airways. The human pharynx is bent at a sharper angle than other mammal pharynges, enabling us to produce a wider variety of sounds, but also putting us in danger of choking.

The human pharynx is divided into three sections: the nasopharynx, lying behind the nasal cavity; the oropharynx, behind the oral cavity; and the laryngopharynx, posterior to the larynx.

[ Wednesday, September 28, 2005 11:39: Message edited by: Tonsillectomy ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #352
Off topic: What is the point of the appendix? I had mine removed, and I am fine.

EDIT:

quote:
From the Wiki:
In human anatomy, the vermiform appendix (or appendix) is a blind ended tube connected to the cecum. It develops embryologically from the cecum. In adults, the appendix averages 10 cm in length but can range from 2-20 cm. The diameter of the appendix is usually less than 7-8 mm. While the base of the appendix is at a fairly constant location, the location of the tip of the appendix can vary from being retrocaecal to being in the pelvis to being extraperitoneal. In most people, the appendix is located at the lower right quadrant of the abdomen. In people with situs inversus, the appendix may be located in the lower left side

[ Wednesday, September 28, 2005 17:23: Message edited by: Johnno ]

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #353
I don't know about the appendix.

But anyway, I had my tonsils out when I was five, and I'm still alive and kickin', eh?

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #354
In human evolution, people at one time ate a lot more vegetable matter. The appendix was also much larger and used to digest said matter. It has shrunk over time to its current size. But it still does digest a small amount of whatever makes its way in. Appendicitis results from an appendix that at its narrowest point has become twisted trapping food inside along with bacteria.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #355
quote:
Originally written by Johnno:

[b]Off topic: What is the point of the appendix? I had mine removed, and I am fine.
[/b]

The appendix protects the cecum from infections. And, just as the tonsills, they can fight the enemy with suicidal zeal.

I expect someone to correct me shortly, though. My words, it seems, barely can be veracious.

[ Wednesday, September 28, 2005 22:27: Message edited by: Inferior ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #356
Today's name, Antibiotics, is another example of a good treatment that's been horribly misused. You probably all know this story already: doctors prescribe antibiotics for colds to appease demanding patients, hospital floors are sprayed with antibiotic solutions instead of disinfectants, livestock are fed antibiotics even when healthy just to enhance their growth.

Result: the most strongly antibiotic-resistant bacteria survive and reproduce best, and an increasing number of bacterial infections are resistant to such a wide range of antibiotics that they can't be effectively treated at all. The misuse of antibiotics is one of the greatest medical catastrophes of our time, and the effects are only going to get worse. And everybody and nobody is to blame.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #357
I like the new possibilities opened up by the antibiotics post. No medical mistake or misuse is safe from your inspection.

It is early in the morning and I feel sick, so I am dead tired, but the first thing that came to my mind was MSRS, or resilient Staph. Discuss.

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #358
quote:
Originally written by Andrea:

How much is that in real money?
Ha ha ha ha. American dollars always remind me of some sort of toy money. The Euro is actually a rather handy currency to have. At least we, in Europe, don't have to change all the time from currency anymore. That's the point of it all.

Sorry, rather off topic.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #359
I'm back. Yay! I had lots of fun even though I was stuck with my family most of the time.

It took me an hour to catch up on everything I missed! 8 pics is going to take a bit to produce, but I plan to have them before Thuryl's posts his next new one.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #360
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

I'm back. Yay! I had lots of fun even though I was stuck with my family most of the time.
Isn't quality family time supposed to be a GOOD thing? Where else will you find people to send up in stick-figure form?

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #361
Toy money? I don't think the USD is pretty enough to be toy money.

Re the antibiotic issue: wouldn't it just be a matter of time before bacteria became uber-fied anyway? Judicious and sparing use may slow down the immunity mutations, but the strains eventually would evolve. The trick is to find the sweet spot where we can beat most of the bacteria with relatively weak antibiotics, and isolate the really bad stuff.

University health centers distributing antibiotics for the common cold though definitely aren't helping things.

[ Thursday, September 29, 2005 09:36: Message edited by: Drew ]
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #362
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

Isn't quality family time supposed to be a GOOD thing? Where else will you find people to send up in stick-figure form?
Draw my family as stick figures? My parents have a tendency to be insanely, fanatically conservative. If my mother were to look at the drawings I have posted in this thread she would be beyond scandalized. They don't even know that I make drawings.

Time with the family being a "good" thing depends upon whether or not you consider it to be a "good" thing to be forced against your will to remain in the presence of your over-protective, emotionally opressive, needy, possesive, parents who consider you less than a person and continually villify you for being less than their ideal of perfect.

Of course, my parents are unable to accept that our family might imaginably be less than their ideal, so we are never allowed to express any negative feelings and, since I am less than a person, my suggestions and comments are dissmissed as meaningless and pointless grumblings. Since I only recently have anything at all to compare it to, after 20 years of them them deluding themselves and forcing me to accept ther delusion, I can sometimes forget how extremely distant they are from me, sublimate my emotions and have a passably ok time with them.

[/emotional venting]

Sorry about the above, it feels good to express it now and then.

--------------------
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #363
-Today's name, Flagellation (that is to say, whipping), may not seem like much of a medical treatment but it did find favour during one particular epidemic of disease. When bubonic plague was rampant in Europe, many people believed the disease was a punishment for their sins, and therefore whipped themselves in an attempt to atone and thereby avoid the plague.

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/flagellation.gif)

--------------------
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #364
-Today's name, Theriac, was an elaborate mixture of various ingredients first used in ancient times, and once believed to be effective as a universal antidote to poison. During the first century AD, an ancient Roman doctor developed a standard recipe for theriac, involving 64 ingredients, including such interesting treats as viper's flesh and ground-up pearls, antlers and coral. Preparations of theriac were still popular in some places until the 18th century.

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/theriac.gif)

--------------------
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #365
-Today's name is Malaria, and it is being mentioned in its capacity as a treatment, not a disease. Before antibiotics, one experimental treatment for syphilis was to deliberately infect the patient with malaria, in the hope that the high fever produced by malaria would kill the bacteria that cause syphilis. Even today, some self-styled medical practitioners are infecting patients with malaria in an attempt to cure Lyme disease. There's no evidence that this has any effect on the course of either disease, and it has the obvious disadvantage that the patient ends up with two life-threatening diseases instead of one.

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/malaria.gif)

--------------------
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #366
-Today's name, Atropine, was originally used more as a cosmetic than a medicine, but the line between the two isn't always clearly defined, especially in this case. A toxin derived from certain plants, particularly henbane and deadly nightshade, atropine was fashionable both in ancient times and during the Renaissance; women applied it to their eyes to dilate their pupils. Of course, this caused extreme sensitivity to light and would often temporarily render them almost blind, but evidently that was a small price to pay.

It's still used in controlled doses to dilate the pupils for ophthalmic examinations, in emergency treatment of some heart conditions, and as an antidote for insecticide or nerve gas poisoning, but using it just so you have pretty-looking eyes is generally discouraged.

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/atropine.gif)

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #367
All is right with the world again... the artist has returned.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #368
-Today's name, Structured Water, is a catchall term for a spate of water-related medical hucksterism that began in earnest with the polywater debacle of the late 1960s.

A Soviet physicist during that time found that if water was passed through very narrow quartz tubes, it sometimes came out with unusual properties, including high viscosity and altered boiling and freezing points. Other researchers in the USSR, the UK and the USA found similar results, and for quite some time the generally accepted hypothesis was that this was because the water molecules in polywater had, of their own accord, stably arranged themselves in some unusual conformation.

Eventually, as electron microscopy and other techniques were used to analyse polywater more carefully, it was found that samples of "polywater" were invariably contaminated with small amounts of dissolved material and suspended solid particles, and that these accounted for its unusual properties. So there wasn't anything special about the water itself at all. D'oh.

As you might imagine, quacks jumped all over this and didn't particularly care when it was discredited. Sadly, there are still plenty of two-bit mail-order outfits all too happy to sell you clustered, unclustered, positively-charged, negatively-charged, ionised or oxygenated water, or machines using filters, magnets or ultrasound to produce the same.

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/structuredwater.gif)

--------------------
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #369
-Anyway, today's name, Salisbury Steak, is a kind of ground beef steak recommended by the late-19th-century physician James Salisbury. Dr Atkins had nothing on this guy; Salisbury believed all vegetables, fruits and starchy foods were harmful to the health and should be limited to a small fraction of the diet. His dietary recommendations included meat, meat, and meat, especially beef, with plenty of water and some coffee for variety. His recommendation for a meat-based diet didn't catch on, but Salisbury steak remains a part of our language, and a popular and tasty dish... in moderation.

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/salisburysteak.gif)

--------------------
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #370
-Today's name, Tonsillectomy, may come as a bit of a surprise to forumgoers, since people still routinely have their tonsils taken out. And while I'm not necessarily going to suggest banning it, it's a controversial procedure within the medical community, and there's no doubt that it was widely overused in the past.

It's not all that long ago that a sore throat, especially in a child, was a good enough indication to take their tonsils out. And, like any operation, there were risks; occasionally, things went wrong and patients died. The clinical indications for performing a tonsillectomy have been sharply restricted in recent years, and some medical practitioners are seriously questioning whether tonsillectomy is ever indicated except in very rare cases. Nowadays, tonsils are only routinely removed if they are so swollen that a patient has difficulty breathing or swallowing.

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/tonsillectomy.gif)

--------------------
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #371
-Today's name, Antibiotics, is another example of a good treatment that's been horribly misused. You probably all know this story already: doctors prescribe antibiotics for colds to appease demanding patients, hospital floors are sprayed with antibiotic solutions instead of disinfectants, livestock are fed antibiotics even when healthy just to enhance their growth.

Result: the most strongly antibiotic-resistant bacteria survive and reproduce best, and an increasing number of bacterial infections are resistant to such a wide range of antibiotics that they can't be effectively treated at all. The misuse of antibiotics is one of the greatest medical catastrophes of our time, and the effects are only going to get worse. And everybody and nobody is to blame.

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/antibiotics.gif)

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #372
Hooray! Welcome back. Gizmo tried a couple, and while they were good, nothing beats the original. Nice pictures!

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #373
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

quote:
Originally written by Andrea:

How much is that in real money?
Ha ha ha ha. American dollars always remind me of some sort of toy money.

Given the present economic trend, I wouldn't be surprised if soon, it were just that.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #374
Nothing looks more like toy money than New Zealand money. Its multicoloured and is made of plastic. It looks waaaay to much like monopoly money.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #375
Well, the time has come for the last name of the month to be unveiled, before I return to being boring old Thuryl. After spending a month savaging doctors and various other people who claim to be able to improve human health, justice demands that I point out that they're not all bad.

In that spirit, today's name is Inaction. Throughout history, misguided or unscrupulous medical practitioners have caused death and suffering to their patients, sometimes on an enormous scale. But many people have died of curable diseases because they were unable or unwilling to access the best possible medical diagnosis and treatment, whether through financial hardship, distrust of the medical profession or fear of being diagnosed with a serious illness.

It must be remembered that human life expectancy has improved dramatically with the rise of medicine and public health in the past two centuries. Most of the time, medicine does more good than harm.

[ Friday, September 30, 2005 00:10: Message edited by: Inaction ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!

Pages