MMMMM

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: MMMMM
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #276
quote:
Originally written by Wise Man:

If you pay me enough and the whip has sharp studs I'll whip you.
You'll have to wait in line behind those that are ready and willing to do it for free. :P

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #277
Yea, but it's insurance money!

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #278
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

I wasn't sure about the electric chair, but the idea that executions are done by hanging in the US sounds very weird. It's most certainly cruel and unusual.
Unusual, yes. Cruel... well, if the inmate chooses to go that way, I'm not sure I'd call it cruel. I can see it now - robbing cars on the highway, murdering the odd passenger, being charged with banditry, murder, and being a gen'ral rascal, proudly pleading (no, proclaiming) guilty to all charges, and ending at the wrong end of a rope, spurs dangling, ten gallon hat bobbing, the face of death subduing an otherwise exuberant crowd...

Honestly, unless people with such dreams of being old-school outlaws exist, I'm not sure why anyone would choose hanging. It must be more painful that way.

Speaking of pain, it's hard to take flagellation seriously with rows of Monty Python monks trudging through my mind...

This topic feels so empty with Alex.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #279
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

Is the sig mistake accidental or deliberate, Alorale?
Never seen it done that particular way. Well, if Alooloolal jumbles up his name, he does it in an original way. Nothing with Aloreal and such rubbish. :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #280
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

quote:
Originally written by Spring:

Is the sig mistake accidental or deliberate, Alorale?
Did you join the mistake police while on vacation?

*this message sponsored by the Blademaster*

He originally spelt his name in his sig 'Alorale'. I was making an attempt at a joke by copying him.

[ Thursday, September 22, 2005 21:58: Message edited by: Spring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #281
quote:
Originally written by Lady Davida:

quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

I wasn't sure about the electric chair, but the idea that executions are done by hanging in the US sounds very weird. It's most certainly cruel and unusual.
Unusual, yes. Cruel... well, if the inmate chooses to go that way, I'm not sure I'd call it cruel. ... the face of death subduing an otherwise exuberant crowd...

My impression is that folks that clamor for the death penalty in a particular case rarely expect that the death they prescribe is violent. Retention of methods such as hanging and firing squad may be attempts by the state to remind jurors, families, and prosecutors that applying the death penalty is not something to take lightly.

It would be a far, far easier thing to do if all one had to do is flip a switch. I'm not sure I want to be around when it comes to that.

*this message sponsored by the number 13*
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #282
Today's name, Theriac, was an elaborate mixture of various ingredients first used in ancient times, and once believed to be effective as a universal antidote to poison. During the first century AD, an ancient Roman doctor developed a standard recipe for theriac, involving 64 ingredients, including such interesting treats as viper's flesh and ground-up pearls, antlers and coral. Preparations of theriac were still popular in some places until the 18th century.

Interestingly, the modern word "treacle" derives from theriac, apparently because theriac looked rather like molasses and was prepared using honey as a base.

[ Friday, September 23, 2005 04:51: Message edited by: Theriac ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #283
Did it have ill effects? I guess that probably depended on the composure in any given instance. I suppose it might be related to words like 'therapy'. It would be interesting to have to find an antidote to the universal antidote. If you ended up feeling ill after taking this, the doctor could just dose you with more....

[ Friday, September 23, 2005 05:46: Message edited by: AxB ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #284
Well, supposedly, it was considered absolutely essential to mix theriac in a marble vessel and not a metal one. If theriac was mixed in a metal container, metal could dissolve into it, with harmful results for the patient. (Considering how widely lead alloys were used in ancient times, this belief may have been well-founded.)

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #285
Gonna work in mummia, or did I miss it?

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #286
I... wasn't aware of that particular remedy. Having just found out what it is, I must agree that it's certainly weird and unsettling enough to warrant a mention. I shall keep it in mind.

[ Friday, September 23, 2005 06:28: Message edited by: Theriac ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #287
I know I'll never live up to Alex's standard but I just had to fill the void with something.

IMAGE(http://www.geocities.com/jewelsoftheforest/stick1.GIF)

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #288
Hm... not quite the same caliber. We'll have to wait and see what Alex thinks when he returns.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 5699
Profile #289
Is Alex banned?
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #290
No, he's just left for a few days. I think he'll be back on Thursday.

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #291
quote:
Originally written by Theriac:

...and once believed to be effective as a universal antidote to poison.
"Just shove a Beozar down their throats."

Sorry, long story.

Are you just going to do his for the month of September, and then go back to be good old Thuryl?

EDIT: The wording of that picture was pretty good. I prefer Alex's imagery, however.

[ Friday, September 23, 2005 16:15: Message edited by: Spring ]

--------------------

Polaris
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #292
Ah, finally a true cure-all remedy. :P

Hmmm, what does STY'-RING mean? :P

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #293
Today's name is Malaria, and it is being mentioned in its capacity as a treatment, not a disease. Before antibiotics, one experimental treatment for syphilis was to deliberately infect the patient with malaria, in the hope that the high fever produced by malaria would kill the bacteria that cause syphilis. Even today, some self-styled medical practitioners are infecting patients with malaria in an attempt to cure Lyme disease. There's no evidence that this has any effect on the course of either disease, and it has the obvious disadvantage that the patient ends up with two life-threatening diseases instead of one.

[ Saturday, September 24, 2005 03:11: Message edited by: Malaria ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #294
*another attempt to fill the void*

IMAGE(http://www.geocities.com/jewelsoftheforest/stick2.GIF)

--------------------

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #295
I'll bet Alex makes a cartoon for all the ones he missed when he gets back.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #296
quote:
Originally written by WST ben:

I'll bet Alex makes a cartoon for all the ones he missed when he gets back.
I dearly hope so. No offence, but Alex is kinda like Spiderweb's answer to a H-bomb explosion. There's only ever gonna be one that we know about...

Unless Drakey has a bunker of sorts.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #297
That is just stupid. It would be like trying to break someones other arm in an attempt to kill the pain of the first broken bone.

Gizmo — I like the way you write the cartoons, but I prefer Alex's drawings. Good try, though.

--------------------

Polaris
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #298
I know. Originals are always better. Everything else is just a crude imitation. Recreating the mona lisa is not an easy task.

IMAGE(http://www.geocities.com/jewelsoftheforest/mona.jpg)

See what I mean.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #299
I never have tried. Well, I have once, but no one believed that I drew it.

--------------------

Polaris
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #300
Its hard to immitate works of somebody else. When composing I sometimes try to immitate, but it always sounds very ugly when I listen to it.

Oh well :rolleyes:

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!

Pages