MMMMM

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: MMMMM
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #326
quote:
Originally written by Counterrevolutionary Monikerist:

Sulfuric acid is not "slightly corrosive." Sulfuric acid is a strong acid and very corrosive. I wouldn't recommend drinking it.

—Alorael, who also does not recommend consuming an equal number of moles of strong base after you realize that drinking strong acid was a mistake. It works much better on paper than in your stomach.

I know that. Otherwise I wouldn't have it to experiment with. I like its effects, although sometimes it does dissappoint me a bit.

Distilled water really isn't healthy to drink. One nice hint for this, is the sign "NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION" written in big red letters on the side of the flask I bought it in.

What Thuryl mentioned earlier, about the blood and all, I yesterday finally managed to understand the basic principal behind it. Indeed, puttin distilled water into your blood is about the stupidest thing to do, I guess (Actually, drinking sulphuric acid is even worse).

There is one big thing I REALLy don't recommend doing: putting water (distilled or tab water, doesn't matter) with sulphuric acid will result in a fountain of boiling water, caused by the chemical reaction of water and sulphuric acid. You'll get away with heavy burns and the like. Something else which will produce one of the most corrosive acids on earth, is mixing sulphuric acid with hydrochloric acid. In Dutch its called "Kings water." I don't know how you call it in English.

[ Tuesday, September 27, 2005 03:38: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #327
Or even better, just boil it off.. breathing it will be fun! And now back to waiting in suspense (Oh the agony!) for Thuryl to reveal his next name.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #328
quote:
Something else which will produce one of the most corrosive acids on earth, is mixing sulphuric acid with hydrochloric acid. In Dutch its called "Kings water." I don't know how you call it in English.
You're probably thinking of "aqua regia", which is actually made by mixing nitric and hydrochloric acid. I don't know whether you could make something similar from sulfuric and hydrochloric acid; it's been too long since I did chemistry.

Anyway, today's name, Salisbury Steak, is a kind of ground beef steak recommended by the late-19th-century physician James Salisbury. Dr Atkins had nothing on this guy; Salisbury believed all vegetables, fruits and starchy foods were harmful to the health and should be limited to a small fraction of the diet. His dietary recommendations included meat, meat, and meat, especially beef, with plenty of water and some coffee for variety. His recommendation for a meat-based diet didn't catch on, but Salisbury steak remains a part of our language, and a popular and tasty dish... in moderation.

(Whew. 12 minutes to spare.)

[ Tuesday, September 27, 2005 04:53: Message edited by: Salisbury Steak ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #329
quote:
Originally written by Salisbury Steak:

quote:
Something else which will produce one of the most corrosive acids on earth, is mixing sulphuric acid with hydrochloric acid. In Dutch its called "Kings water." I don't know how you call it in English.
You're probably thinking of "aqua regia", which is actually made by mixing nitric and hydrochloric acid. I don't know whether you could make something similar from sulfuric and hydrochloric acid; it's been too long since I did chemistry.

Was it nitric acid? My English is not that good that I know all these names. I probably mixed the two up somehow. Anyway, yes, its aqua regia what I'm talking about. Maybe, some day I'm going to make it. But not now.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #330
"Cheer up, children - it's Salisbury steak day!" IMAGE(http://www.classiccomics.net/apparel/SouthParkSalsburyShirta.JPG)

[ Tuesday, September 27, 2005 05:41: Message edited by: Drew ]
Babelicious
Member # 39
Profile Homepage #331
Aqua regia is beautiful, toxic, and highly corrosive.

And you can make it with sulfuric acid, since the combination of sodium chloride and sulfuric acid produces hydrochloric acid.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #332
quote:
Originally written by Andrea:

And you can make it with sulfuric acid, since the combination of sodium chloride and sulfuric acid produces hydrochloric acid.

That's good to know (not that it otherwise would be a problem, cause I've got sll these acids in my experimenting room. sulfuric, hydrochloric and nitric acid. I've got it all, and I'm damn proud of it :)

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #333
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

quote:

That's good to know (not that it otherwise would be a problem, cause I've got sll these acids in my experimenting room. sulfuric, hydrochloric and nitric acid. I've got it all, and I'm damn proud of it :)

Are you studying chemistry, or is it a hobby?

So the sulphuric acid is actually rather a substitute for the hydrochloric acid (adding some table salt)? I'm not sure how much sense that would make, because from what I remember in Chemistry class, Hydrochloric acid should be more readily available than the former, since it is used more often. But of course it's always good to have a substitute handy if you run out of materials at some point.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Babelicious
Member # 39
Profile Homepage #334
Hydrochloric acid was first synthesized by the process I outlined in 800 AD or so by the usual suspects (alchemists).

Also, about ten times as much sulfuric acid is produced in the US as hydrochloric. (~40 million tons vs. ~4 million tons.) It's much more common.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #335
Since the other topic got locked I'll just mention it here.

quote:

...Gizmysto...
Me likes, but you spelled it wrong. Myst is so overused.

Mmmm... mint chocolate is my favorite. Oh great, now I have a craving with none in sight. :(

Guess a snickers will have to do. ;)

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #336
quote:
Originally written by Jewels:

quote:

...Gizmysto...

Going further off-topic, I'm expecting my copy of Myst III to arrive tomorrow. :)

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #337
Thuryl already brought this up in passing, but almost any of these things can have a placebo effect, stimulating the production of the endogenous opioid thingys (very technical term I know, "thingy"). So in some ways, unless they were directly harmful (as many of these have been) they probably did more good then harm.

On the other note, I should check Myst III out, the other two were worth getting.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #338
Going even more off topic, can anyone provide be with some differences and similarities between AoE2 and Rise of Nations? I've been wondering about it for a while, and whether it's worth getting.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #339
quote:

Hydrochloric acid was first synthesized by the process I outlined in 800 AD or so by the usual suspects (alchemists).

Also, about ten times as much sulfuric acid is produced in the US as hydrochloric. (~40 million tons vs. ~4 million tons.) It's much more common.

In fact, sulfuric acid is the most important industrial chemical, in terms of sheer amount produced per year. It's mainly used in the manufacture of other products such as phosphate fertilisers, petroleum derivatives and various sulfate salts of metals.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #340
quote:
Originally written by WST ben:

Going even more off topic, can anyone provide be with some differences and similarities between AoE2 and Rise of Nations? I've been wondering about it for a while, and whether it's worth getting.
Rise of Nations is better in my opinion. They're quite alike apart from Rise of Nations is set up like risk, and when you choose the country you wish to attack you go into an age of empires type game. Also Rise of Nations goes through more ages.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #341
quote:
Originally written by Aran-something.:

quote:
Originally written by Jewels:

quote:

...Gizmysto...

Going further off-topic, I'm expecting my copy of Myst III to arrive tomorrow. :)

And tomorrow. And tomorrow. To the last syllables of recorded time... :rolleyes:

[ Wednesday, September 28, 2005 03:44: Message edited by: Aran-something. ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #342
Today's name, Tonsillectomy, may come as a bit of a surprise to forumgoers, since people still routinely have their tonsils taken out. And while I'm not necessarily going to suggest banning it, it's a controversial procedure within the medical community, and there's no doubt that it was widely overused in the past.

It's not all that long ago that a sore throat, especially in a child, was a good enough indication to take their tonsils out. And, like any operation, there were risks; occasionally, things went wrong and patients died. The clinical indications for performing a tonsillectomy have been sharply restricted in recent years, and some medical practitioners are seriously questioning whether tonsillectomy is ever indicated except in very rare cases. Nowadays, tonsils are only routinely removed if they are so swollen that a patient has difficulty breathing or swallowing.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #343
What are tonsils? Are they just really inconveniently placed lymph nodes, or what? I know those swell when I have an infection (I can feel them on the back of my neck then).
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #344
quote:
His dietary recommendations included meat, meat, and meat, especially beef, with plenty of water and some coffee for variety.
Sounds like my kind of diet!

quote:
And, like any operation, there were risks; occasionally, things went wrong and patients died.
People died from tonsillectomies? Makes me happy I never had to have my tonsills taken out.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #345
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

What are tonsils? Are they just really inconveniently placed lymph nodes, or what? I know those swell when I have an infection (I can feel them on the back of my neck then).
They defend the pharynx against infections.

[ Wednesday, September 28, 2005 04:40: Message edited by: Inferior ]
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #346
quote:
[b] Originally written by Aran-something.:
[quote=Thralni, emperor of Riverrod]

Are you studying chemistry, or is it a hobby?[/b][/quote]Its just a hobby, but I'm aiming for a university study. I think its damn funny to see something quite innocent, sudenly bubling and hissing when mixing it with something else less innocent. Take for example sulfuric acid or any other acid, as long as its as corosive or worse then nitric acid and mix it with Na2CO8 (I think you call it Sodium corbonate in English, but I'm not sure). It starts hissing and bubling, and the tube or flask you put it in, will get hot because of the chemical reaction. And of course I have a special laboratory outfit! :)

Thuryl: I didn't manage to quote it, so I'll say it like this. You said a few posts earlier that sulfuric acid is the most important chemical used. The price shows it. for 100ml you pay about 1,20 Euro. If you take an other thing I bought, say, iodine, you pay, for a 100g about 116,00 Euro! That's the only reason I bought only 5g.

[ Wednesday, September 28, 2005 05:25: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #347
quote:
Originally written by Inferior:

quote:
Originally written by Drew:

They defend the pharynx against infections.

The pharynx is a part of the throat? I don't remember the medical terms...

--------------------
"Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."
---Thomas Paine

Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #348
quote:
Originally written by Albus Dumbledore:

The pharynx is a part of the throat?
No, that's the larynx. The pharynx connects the mouth hollow with the nose hollow.
Babelicious
Member # 39
Profile Homepage #349
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

Thuryl: I didn't manage to quote it, so I'll say it like this. You said a few posts earlier that sulfuric acid is the most important chemical used. The price shows it. for 100ml you pay about 1,20 Euro. If you take an other thing I bought, say, iodine, you pay, for a 100g about 116,00 Euro! That's the only reason I bought only 5g.
How much is that in real money?
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #350
quote:

How much is that in real money?
1,2 euro is 1,442 American dollar. 116,00 euro is 139,386 American dollar.

Pages