Valley of Thunder RP

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Valley of Thunder RP
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #180
OOC: Eferas does fire, not rocks. Sorry, but that's a fairly important difference, because he can usually only use his magic to do severe harm (it's tricky to knock somebody out with a fireball without turning them into cinders). How about I throw a rock, or whack Sylvain with my staff?

[ Saturday, June 19, 2004 01:11: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Visit The Santharian Dream and its RP board. Or the Encyclopaedia Ermariana!
Got a brain? Go to Polaris!
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
To a conspiracy for downfall and desperance
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #181
"This is getting repetitive," grunted Garath. He rubbed as his shoulder as Eferas swiftly advanced the newest attacker.

"You wait ages for a survivor, and two come along at the same time..." said Eferas, who checked his staff for any damage. He wondered whether the staff was actually designed with this sort of use in mind, but it seemed generally fine.

"Looks like this one's a priest."

Garath turned his attention immediately to the new man. "He's the priest?"

By now, he had dropped the unconscious body he was dragging, and stepped forward towards the crouching figure.

"What's your name?"

The priest stared at him. "Sylvain."

"Right, Sylvain, we are here to help you. But you need to answer some questions."

Sylvain spat at him. "I won't tell you a thing."

Garath started to say something, but Eferas has interuppted, pointing to the body who still lay. They heard a soft moan, as the man move closer to awakening.

With Garath cursing, they proceeded to continue back to the bunker.

OOC: Might post later. Breaking the one-per-day rule, yes, but well...
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #182
Arriving back at the bunker, Garath called for some one to help him revive the two newcomers because they might have vital information. Not wanting to be caught by demons while he was still drained of magic, Alex decided it was time to use a couple of his small supply of potions. Alex studied the two to see what would be best to use on them. Fishing around in his pack and pulling out two small bottles, he told Garath to give this one to the priest and that one to the other.

"What are these?" Garath asked suspiciously. Thinking fast, Alex replied, "Uh, they're herbal healing remedies, all-natural, perfectly normal, nothing strange about them at all, anyone who had studied a little could make them."

Still slightly suspicious, Garath administered the potions and Alex sighed in relief as he saw them begin to take effect.

--------------------
Need a pet? Need cheap labor? Buy a Moose!

Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 78% 44% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #183
EDIT: Sorry, Alex, I typed this while you were posting. I kind of put yours into mine... anyway, if there are any inconsistencies, that's why.

IC:"Gods damnit, priest, just get in!" Garath shouted, finally losing his patience. The safety and protection of the bunker was mere inches away, but they couldn't just leave the resisting priest outside...

"I'll never give in! Never!"

"Sylvian, how fond are you of your consciousness? You could either walk into the bunker, or be dragged into the bunker. Which do you prefer?"

The priest snarled, looking back apprehensively at Eferas' staff. Finally he shook his head, ducked, and walked in, hand groping absently at his belt for the security of the mace. He found nothing, of course; Garath had made sure of that. Garath followed closely behind, keeping both eyes on Sylvian, while Eferas dragged the unconscious man in behind him and closed the bunker to the outside world.

"Stop. Don't come any closer."

"Oh, come on, Chadussid, you know who we are."

"I know who you were. I also know that demons are fond of controlling the minds of humans, and that some can take on other shapes. You will drop your weapons and step into this circle where we can see you. Any sudden moves will be justly rewarded. And since when do we find random adventurers wandering around in the woods? Which of you decided to bring these in?"

"That reminds me," Garath replied smugly. "Here's your priest. Sylvian."

"A priest with a broken arm? Wonderful. He can't even heal himself. And what is this?" The other man groaned again, stirring. "He must be the mage, right? Which is why he was running so fast?" Chadussid indicated the scratch marks covering the man's body.

What was this? he thought. He had seen only white since... since being struck... but here, here was something completely neutral. A man's shape, but a grey color. What was it doing in his vision?

He opened his eyes. "The demons... are they gone?... Where am I?"

"He's awake," Rey noted.

Chadussid snorted in contempt; Rey blushed. "Get them both tied up. You. What is your name?"

"Sadith," the man replied.

"The two of you I can handle," Chadussid said to Eferas and Garath, "as long as you don't bring any more unknkown elements into our refuge. Kenthred, check Oskoth and Daniel. I want all six of you in the center of this bunker, away from all exits. Raymond, keep those weapons safe."

Chadussid's orders were carried out and the two newcomers, both now fully conscious and partially healed, thanks to the potions, were positioned sitting on the floor, facing Chadussid.

"Right then. Eferas, you say you were out scouting when these two both just ran into you. And you knocked them out with your staff, I understand. Isn't that a little too convenient?"

Eferas shrugged. "They came running from the woods; we thought we were under attack. Would you rather that I had set them on fire? We were sent to look for survivors. Now we've found two. What is the problem with this?"

"What is the problem?" Chadussid replied, teeth clenched together. "The problem is that you brought two potential hostiles into our previously safe bunker. You know that we're under attack. Why would you be so careless?"

Sitting in the shadows, Kenthred spoke softly. "Maybe they're the traitors. Maybe Sadith or Sylvian is the murderer."

A sudden fearful hush fell over the bunker. Outside, the wind whistled softly through the leaves. A distant rumble shook the valley. Everyone clutched their weapons, drawing away slightly.

Sadith looked up at the grey man, surprised by the lack of hostility on the man's face. With such wild accusations, it was hard to feel safe anywhere, among anyone; even the white mage looked darker around the borders. But the grey man... nothing. And that frightened him even more than the growing darkness in the man above him, the one they called Garath.

"Right," Chadussid murmurred, breaking the silence reluctantly. "If any of them moves so much as a toe, impale them. Let Oskoth and Daniel speak; if they were possessed, we'd know. De- demons can be... tricky." With that, he moved to the entrance, his back turned, hiding his face as best as possible. "If one of them reveals himself as a demon... kill them all."

[ Saturday, June 19, 2004 06:32: Message edited by: Lady Davida ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Apprentice
Member # 76
Profile Homepage #184
-DELETED-

[ Sunday, June 20, 2004 02:47: Message edited by: Warslith ]

--------------------
If life were a video game, I'd use
the cheats.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #185
Daniel: "Again with this demon crap?! Does it ever stop?!" Hmmmph!"

Oskoth: "Yeah, I know. It's beginning to get rather annoying now, Daniel. Don't you ever stop worrying, Chadussid? Oh, yeah, that's right... You have to sleep sometime. You can't be so crazy when you are unconscious or do you do that in your dreams too?"

Chadussid turns around with a violent start and quickly walks towards him. He suddenly pulls out a knife and puts it to Oskoth's throat.

Chadussid: "You shut your filthy mouth and listen to me! I have no misgivings about killing you or anyone else here that I might conceive poses a threat to the rest of us. I am doing my best to keep us safe and you all just barge in here with a bunch of possible biohazards to rest of us. I should kill you all for just bothering to come back at all. Once you leave this bunker, you are designated as an instant health risk to the rest of us. As far as I am concerned, you can go and kill yourself once you leave here again... The next time you try to pull a stunt like this, I will kill you personally if you try to come back again."

(Pulls away from Oskoth and looks around at everyone else) "That goes for all of you! As far as I am concerned, you are all expendable! You either stay together with me or you die apart!"

With that, he turns and starts walking back to the doorway. Oskoth's anger finally reaches its breaking point and he can't hold back any longer. He runs at Chadussid, who turns around at the sudden sound of footsteps. Oskoth jumps at him and knocks him to the ground.

--------------------
(Looks around in the Study)
Colonel Mustard: "Just checking."
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #186
OOC: WarSlith, if you would, well, use normal capitalization on those words, they would imho sound a lot better. I prefer Hellslayer to HellSlayer, even though I don't know how anyone else feels about that.

Also, this thing about instantly sensing people's allegiance sounds a bit too conclusive now. I'm certain that almost all of us want to keep the intentions/side of their characters secret for now. I know that I do, even though it seems pretty clear that Eferas is not possessed right now.

--------------------
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Apprentice
Member # 4398
Profile Homepage #187
OOC: I'm with him *points up*. If you need to have a character who unbalances the RP by instantly being able to sense motive/alignment/personality/demon influence, then I gotta say, you musn't have a lot to contibute in the way of actual RPing.

That having been said, if MSW approved all these, I'm guessing, psychic powers (reporting to your order by thinking about it ?) I guess they don't think it would create an expectation of power playing from you. I'm just saying.

IC
Jay was sitting on a crate, attempting to light his pipe when Oskoth rushed at Chadussid. He had seen some unruly behaviour in his time, mostly young guys trying to prove how tough they were. It usually didn't last, and sometimes led to a deeper understanding of themselves.

He didn't think that was the case here.

Oskoth reached Chadussid in a blink, practically jumping on top of him in rage. Chadussid grappled with him, reaching for his knife. He didn't have enough leverage though, Oskoths weight helping to keep the corpsman down. When Oskoth lifted his right arm to strike, Jay decided it might be a good thing if someone intervened. He dashed towards the pair, grabbed Oskoth by his shoulders and hauled him off his feet. Chadussid lept up, knife in hand.

"I'm going to cut out your heart !" Chadussid growled, advancing on the still struggling Oskoth. Jay dropped him down, placing his left leg behind Oskoths right and pushing backwards across his chest. Oskoth stumbled backwards, but kept his balance. Jay was in the middle now, and yelled at them to stop. He held out both hands one to each of them palm up. Both men stopped, but continued to eye each other dangerously.

"This is juvenile. You want to kill each other ? Go outside. You want to tear each other apart, I'm not going to get in your way again. Thats all I've got to say."

He set his hands down by his side and slowly moved away. He returned to the crate and sat down, stuggling to stay calm and light his pipe.

--------------------
Part of a shot contest is knowing when to say "Yeah, I'm done", and not yelling "Frrreeedom !" like William Wallace instead.
Warrior
Member # 3351
Profile #188
IC :
Akhtar was finnaly relieved. He immediately started working on the idea he had during his guard.

After working a long time he looked through a loophole and saw the sky was turning purple, the red moon was standing out over the pale colors like a cyclopean eye watching and mocking him and his simple ideas.

He quickly termined modifying his backpack. It was now ready to transport a wounded. He installed Hispar as softly as he could and tried to move around a little. Everyone in this part of the bunker was sleeping, he finished testing his new backpack then took it off. He started looking for Eferas.

He finally found him, Akhtar would have liked to have more time to explain himself but he kept his message short :

"Hispar said we should not leave the way we came and so pointed to the tunnels but the way you went in should also be practicable, I am heading for Selger as this is where the tunnels would have led us. If we could make a small enough group, it shouldn't be too dangerous. I will wait a bit at the river so that anyone who wants to can come along. "

Having said that he went back to were he left the backpack and readied himself then he went out.

Stupid guards, checking what comes in is important but it is also important to know who is out.

Bah. Rey is eyeing me, better look straight ahead so that he don't ask any question.

Out, at last; let's get going.

OOC : Sorry Alorael, this is not exactly what was planned but it would have not happened before a possibly long time. Akhtar saw the survivor in good shape after they took the potions.

[ Saturday, June 19, 2004 10:28: Message edited by: So Incredibly Sad ]

--------------------
/Seawinds are calling
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #189
IC:

"That is all you're going to say?" Eferas snorted even as he stood up. "You're going to let them cut each other apart for the demons' amusement?"

His face darkened as if a thundercloud had suddenly moved over it - he had been practicing this particular expression in a mirror for several years, and it had paid off wonderfully. He looked for all the world like a wrathful wizard, and everyone who has ever seen one will agree that it can make a lasting expression. His staff was lifted appropriately, and he was even able to make his eyes glow with a fearsome fire.

"You are going to stop this nonsense right now! I will pulverize the next person to show any sign of trouble!" That last one might not be entirely true, since he did have enormous qualms about frying fellow party members, even Chadussid, but he managed to pull it off convincingly enough.

When Oskoth and Chadussid reluctantly sat down again, Eferas was quite relieved. Xarl was right. The work of a wizard is two parts magic to eight parts show.

"And now we have to turn to more urgent concerns," Eferas said aloud again. "You are spouting nonsense, Chadussid. This is not a military undertaking, so you have no authority besides that which is granted you through your combat skills and experience. I, at least, can assure you that I am not currently possessed by demons. Firstly, I have undergone that more than once in my life, so I know how it feels. Secondly, even if I were, I could blast you into the nether, as well as anyone else who tried to confine me. You will just have to be satisfied with my word."

And that has only partly solved the problem. Because someone here is indeed being possessed. If only I knew who. He cast his magical sense around, searching, but the presence was well-cloaked, and he could not trace it down to any particular person. He was slowly growing uneasy. The worst thing about possession was the surprise effect, anything else could be dealt with. As long as he did not know who to watch, the demons had the advantage.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #190
Rey was sitting where he was before, and he was bandaging his hand. He put his right metal glove back on, and made a fist with his right hand. Good. It doesn't hurt too much to move it. he thought. He went back to his guard post and looked out for any trouble.

He looked up at the red moon. Then he heard some rustling. He looked over at the bush where it came from. A squirrel jumped out of it and climbed up a nearby tree. Only a squirrel. Isn't ANYTHING going to happen tonight? This is boring.

Then he looked at the bush. There was a skull by it. He walked over to it and picked it up. There were words carved on the forehead. It read "Ha! Ha! We know where you are and we are coming for you!". The writing was terrible. Rey could barely read it. Then he examined the skull further. It wasn't a human skull. It had a pair of horns and sharp teeth. "Uh oh." Rey said. "What if this is from the demons? They sure are terrible at writing english. It's as if they only got a couple of glances at the human alphabet." He looked on the back and saw some writing. It was in another language. He took it back inside to start looking for someone who could read it.

--------------------
Entertaining songs !Click here to get to the misc. boards!
Attack, icons, attack!THIS PAGE ROCKS!!
Vicious virus stalks the web, has already infected over 200 computers: read more!
"Did you know that the human is the only animal that preys upon itself?"
-The Squire of Gothos
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #191
"Hey, give me a hand while I check to make sure that the tunnel leads," Raymond said as he opened the hatch. "I think this is actually the tunnel that leads to the fringes of the farmland. However, that still puts us out of danger until we reach Selger, unless the demons already took over the town."

"And just HOW can I trust you, Law?" Chadussid asked, still angry about having a spear launcher pointed at his heart. It would have been quite embarrassing for an experienced soldier to have his charge broken by someone who looked like a civilian, Raymond figured.

"Well, for one thing, everybody else does! And it's already proven that attempting murder against a fellow party member is not an option, genius."

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #192
Chadussid stares at Law angrily.

"That tunnel is not safe whether or not you are trustworthy. We have gone over this before. If you encourage people to enter it, you are circumventing not my 'authority' but the safety of this entire Goddamn group. I'm not giving you an order here, Law, I'm telling you plain and simple that you are going to leave the tunnels alone or you are going to grow eyes in the back of your head, because one or the other will keep you very safe from having your neck snapped."

He made another movement to the spear launcher. "You don't frighten me, corpsman. In fact, I don't think you frighten anyone."

In a moment, Chadussid was on top of Law, and in another moment, he was two yards away and Law and the spear launcher had fallen to the ground separately. The former writhed around, mouth open as if to scream but apparently incapable of making the sound.

"That, for those of you uneducated in the fine art of hand-to-hand combat, was the main grave gauche; the fatal left hand. It is taught to the Corps in order to disable physical threats at close range before delivering a killing blow. That obviously won't be necessary here. In five minutes he'll be conscious, an hour he'll be on his feet and in twenty-four hours the pain will be mostly gone. If anyone feels like they can take that and worse, any one of you can try to call my bluff again. Go on. Who feels like a leader here? Who feels like trying to defeat me with great personal and group exertion and commit what amounds to leading an auroch bull through a glass factory? Any takers?"

Silence. Kenthred opens his mouth. "The soldier? You don't scare me. You know full well that if I'm dead, you're never going to get home to whatever the hell you left behind, or the cash that the government promised you. So far as I'm concerned, you're a tier lower threat than the rest of these people. Yes, you could kill me if you wanted to, but you're not likely to. You're not stupid."

He leveled his gaze at Oskoth and said, with frightening calmness, "Learn to walk perpendicular. You wasted the one strike this group had, and so far as I'm concerned, if you approach my person to a range of four yards or less for any reason, you are a direct threat to my life and this group's survival."

No one else talked. "Now, the best thing I could think of doing would be to hold this position until tomorrow morning. We'll need as much daylight as we can if we're going to get to Selger by foot."

"That's insane! What about the shaman's predictions, and the demon, and the corpsman..."

"Listen to me. We are well-fortified sitting ducks here. Yes, we're vulnerable to demons or the corpsman attacking if we move by the outdoors. If they do, we might lose half the group by the time we end up in town. But if we move underground, one attack will kill all of us. Between a situation in which our wits might keep some of us alive and a situation in which physics guarantees all of us will die at once, I greatly prefer the former.

Any questions?"

--------------------
They want to have a war to keep their factories
They want to have a war to keep us on our knees
They want to have a war to stop us buying Japanese
They want to have a war to stop industrial disease
They're pointing out the enemy to keep you deaf and blind
They want to suck your energy, incarcerate your mind
Give you Rule Brittania, gassy beer, page three
Two weeks in Hispania and sunday striptease
Meanwhile, the first Jesus says, "I'll cure it soon
Abolish Monday mornings and Friday afternoons"
The other one's out on hunger strike, he's dying by degrees
How come Jesus gets industrial disease?

This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #193
(OOC: My last post is relevant, except for a few lines.

Kenthred wasn't just saying Rey should not use the demonslayer, he was saying he shouldn't use a sword. And if he wasn't using it, somebody else should have been.)

Eferas raised his hands. Though unsure it was a good idea to actually kill somebody, he did not want his threat to be shown to be so empty nor to allow Chadussid to browbeat the rest of the group into following him. Merely to stun him slightly as he had to Law would seem sufficient. A pulse of anger went through him. Perhaps Chadussid did deserve to die. It might at least remove a source of dissension. For a fraction of a second, he considered.

And collapsed, having been kicked hard in the backs of the knees.

"You might be powerful, old man, but you're too slow and conflicted. He could probably have taken you whilst you pondered whether he deserved to die. Leave the rashness and stupidity to those of us with more practice in those arts."

Kenthred then extended his hand to help Eferas back up and addressed the group as a whole.

"Well, it doesn't seem likely that anything's going to stop these fights. I'm not going to lecture you or make another threat. But whilst you were brawling, I learnt something."

"The demons didn't attack. If any of the group who just came in were possessed, they'd have chosen that moment to attack and so would their buddies out there."

"However, we still can't leave until we're properly organised. Law, Sadith and Sylvain are going to have to tell their stories."

"Then at some point, at least some of us are going to have to visit Selger and try to find out what happened. If there are any other survivors, we'll want some kind of beacon here so they can get closer."

"And I say we forget about that temple. We just need to get out of here. We or somebody else can come back at a later time when we're properly prepared."

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #194
Garath ignored all this. He stood, his body taut, his eyes fixed on Sylvain beneath him. That fool Chadussid - he considered this one to be just another priest. How wrong he was.

"I told you before. I'm not going to tell you a thing."

Sylvain was trying to look away, but there was something in Garath's glare which held him, sapped his strength.

"We have ways of making you talk. Powerful ways."

The priest squeezed his mouth shut. Garath decided on a different tact.

"Look around you. We are not demons here. We are simply people here to help. Now, tell me about the temple."

"You will not defile it!"

Garath spoke even more softly, moved closer so the others would not hear.

"My... allies have no time to waste defiling your pitiful temple. We wish only the knowledge that is sealed within. Now, I shall ask you gently, what are the seals?"

Sylvain shook with fear, his eyes trying to look past to the others. But he didn't cry out, as they seemed too caught up in their own arguments to notice. And perhaps they were enemies, too.

And then he felt the edge of a sword press into him. Looking down, he seemed to recognise the blade.

"What are the seals?"

Suddenly, a figure stepped up behind them. In an instant Garath whirled around, sword readied in his hand. The rest quickly turned to look at him.

OOC: minus demonslayer

[ Saturday, June 19, 2004 14:27: Message edited by: FZ ]
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #195
OOC: When did Garath get the Demonslayer?

--------------------
Vicious virus stalks the web, has already infected over 200 computers: read more!
-The Squire of Gothos
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #196
Eferas stood up again with only marginal difficulty. He considered, angrily, but decided against a reaction. There would be time to deal with this fool later. For now, he had to undo the damage that had already been done.

Flexing his fingers, he walked over to the prone body of Law. His skills did not extend to healing, but shocked nerves could be easily revived with certain spells. It wasn't pleasant, but they couldn't afford to have Chadussid's damnfoolery incapaciting any of their fighters right now.

Placing his fingers just below the base of Raymond's skull, he mumbled. "Fer'Pha'kyl. Daen Kai'Ferpha." His fingers seemed to glow briefly, and Ray winced as he felt a scalding heat travelling down his spine. There was a brief shudder going through his whole torso as the spell reanimated the stunned nerves, and then Raymond sat up.

"I advise you to cease this sort of thing." Eferas was looking at Chadussid, but it was clear it was directed at Kenthred equally. "There are many around who may feel that only a demon-possessed traitor would see an advantage right now in putting our own people out of action."

--------------------
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #197
"Ugh," Raymond grunted. "I needed that, Eferas."

The longer I stay here, the more troublesome this will be for me, he thought. It should be wise to get some rest, then head through the underground tunnel. Sadith and Sylvain should understand - and these fools bicker far too much.

Without a word, Raymond retrieved the spear launcher, and went off to the side, sleeping on his backpack. With closed-minded soldiers like Chadussid, it was easier NOT to argue and pretend to be inferior.

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #198
Oskoth decides to himself that he stands a better chance of surviving and being listened to if he were to work with Raymond, Dave, Eferas, and Sylvain.

He goes over to where Raymond is, but he is already falling asleep, so he lets him alone. Eferas wears the mark of a bad mood on his face, so he passes him by as well. Dave has fallen asleep as well, and deserves it because of his ordeal, so Oskoth moves on towards Sylvain. He finds Garath crouched over him with something in his hands.

Just as Oskoth figures out what it is, Garath turns around and points the Demonslayer at him.

Garath: "Keep back, or I won't hesitate to use this!!!"

Oskoth: "Put the sword down, Garath. We have enough problems without you causing more."

Oskoth tries to move around Garath to get to Sylvain, but Garath takes it as a threat and thrusts the sword at Oskoth. Oskoth narrowly parries it and realizes that he has to put him down before anyone gets hurt.

Oskoth: "Oh no you don't!!"

He grabs the arm that Garath is holding the sword in and twists it behind his back. Garath cries out in pain as his arm is bent nearly to the breaking point. Oskoth quickly removes the sword from Garath's now quivering hand and tosses it to Kenthred, who reflexively catches it. He grabs Garath's other arm and does the same with it. Eferas hurries back to help when he hears the scuffle and with a piece of rope, they tie Garath's hands securely behind him. Chadussid comes over to find out what the entire ruckus was about.

Chadussid: "What the hell is going on here?!!"

Oskoth: "It appears that Garath here somehow got a hold of the Demonslayer and was threatening Sylvain with it."

Chadussid: "Why should that concern me? It would be one less risk to worry about. You should have left Garath kill him."

Oskoth: "Don't you ever give it a rest? If Sylvain dies, his knowledge of the valley and its dangers goes with him. We can't afford to lose that extra knowledge. Not to mention he knows where all the traps are."

Chadussid: "True, but he is still a security risk. However, now that you brought it up, we will have to assess from him where the other traps are so that we can avoid them."

Daniel: (Walking up to them) "Uh, if you don't mind... Oskoth and I were busy mapping out some of those traps. If you want, we can give Sylvain the map to plot out the rest of them."

Chadussid: "Very well. You do that. But for the moment we need to speak with our new prisoner about his conduct in the group."

With that, they drag a kicking Garath off to a dark corner to interrogate him. Oskoth takes the opportunity to speak to Sylvain.

Oskoth: "Are you alright? He didn't injure you did he?"

Sylvain: "No, but he somehow drained all my power from me and I couldn't fight him off. It was almost as if he had me in a trance."

Oskoth: "He has an nullity field around him at all times. He doesn't believe in magic and it somehow nulls all magical items and people around him."

Sylvain: "Ah. I see now. But why did he want to know about the temple I wonder... Especially the seals..."

Oskoth: "What seals do you speak of?"

Sylvain: "Uh.... Nothing. I was talking aloud to myself. It's not important."

Oskoth: (Starts whispering) "Oh. Well, I have an idea. Now that Chadussid and Kenthred are distracted, I am going to sneak off down the tunnel. I hope to make it to Selger by morning. Is there anything unusual about the tunnel that I should know about?"

Sylvain: "No, not that I can think of. I was only through it once completely. It's a well-constructed tunnel from what I saw. Built similar to some of the mines I had been in during my younger days. This talk of collapse is preposterous. With all the support beams in that tunnel, it being as deep underground as it is, and the way it is made from thick, solid rock, it would take one hell of a magical blast to destroy it. I was told that it was modified from a natural cave system. That's about all that I can... Wait a minute. I remember that a series of escape hatches were built along its length. In the unlikely event that any part of it were to collapse, escape could be made through one of those. I can only remember a few of them though. One was on the edge of the woods by the river bank."

Oskoth: "Very good. That reminds me, if Akhtar is down by the river with Hispar, I can probably get to him from that one hatch. Is there any chance that any of the hatches could have been discovered by the demons?"

Sylvain: "I doubt it. Each hatch is hidden perfectly by undergrowth and debris. I helped in their construction. No creature, not even humans or demons could find them from the surface without powerful scrying. And even then, they are hard to pinpoint. This valley has a lot of natural caves in it."

Oskoth: "Okay. I want you to get Dave, Eferas, and Raymond down there as soon as possible, as well as yourself. The arguing here is going to go on forever unless we act for ourselves."

Sylvain: "Very well, I will try my best."

Oskoth: "Until we meet again."

Oskoth grabs his things and tells Eferas of his intention to use the tunnel. Eferas agrees to cover for him and Oskoth slips away, unseen by both Chadussid and Kenthred, who are too busy yelling at Garath. The tunnel is dark, but Oskoth ignores it. He closes the hatch and slowly makes his way down a series of rock-hewn steps for at least thirty or forty feet. He then deems the distance from the bunker safe for creating light and makes himself a magical torch. The tunnel is indeed, well made. It's easy to see how parts of it were hewn out of a natural cave system. He looks down at the steps before him, which seem to stretch down into an endless abyss of darkness.

[ Saturday, June 19, 2004 19:33: Message edited by: Sherlock Holmes ]

--------------------
(Looks around in the Study)
Colonel Mustard: "Just checking."
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #199
Garath grinned manically, his eyes ablaze, staring upwards. Chadussid grabbed him by the collar, shook him as hard as he could, but the man would not stop looking outwards into the sky.

"Tell me, what the hell were you doing?"

Garath shook his head. Not long now.

"Who are you working for? Tell me, or I will give you pain!"

Seeing no response, the corpsman pulled back his fist and struck his prisoner across his chin. Garath only grinned, and Chadussid felt a sudden burning sensation as a bloody mark appeared not on Garath's face but his own.

The other man's grin widened as the rest stepped away. Garath's laughter ran hollow.

"To transform my gift into the transfer of life energies... that was the first gift."

"You... are working for the demons!"

"For now, yes. But I have no time for meaningless questions."

He rose, and the ropes fell off to the ground. Chadussid sprang forward, a knife in hand.

"Not a step! You can still die, can't you."

"Shame that I will have to break the seals the old fashioned way. We will, hopefully, not meet again."

Garath looked once more upwards. Then a flash of red light blinded them, when they looked again, he was gone.

Eferas shouted from the hatch.

"We have to take the tunnel, now! There are demons all around us. I can sense them now..."

Chadussid tightened his grip on his sword.

"How many? Ten? Twenty?"

Eferas paused for a moment, and looked back in terror.

"Over a hundred."
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #200
Magic... Demons! The same army that I had come across!

Immediately Raymond threw himself off the floor, and put on his backpack. Within a split second he had a hand on his spear launcher and the other on the handle of the katana - its sheath was strapped around the back of his waist.

Ray reached for a spear, and slid it inside the handles of the bunker doors. He grabbed two more, and jammed both into doors in 45 degree angles to their respectively closer walls. He then opened the hatch.

"A portion of the army is here, my friends," Raymond announced. "It's now or never - follow me." With that, he leapt down into the tunnel.

"I would agree with what he said," Eferas followed, and descended too.

OOC: sorry Aran, i had to do it. IMAGE(tongue02.gif)

--------------------
--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #201
Rey quickly put on the demon skull. It was big enough to fit over his head and helmet, and had the right proportions to allow him to see out it's eyeholes(And FYI, the mandible is not included.). "I am ready to go. I will stay at the rear to defend against any demons. I will protect us and get revenge on the demons." He squinted his eyes angrily and looked at the bunker doors in anger as he remembered how some demons killed his father. He readied his shield and sword.

--------------------
-The Squire of Gothos
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #202
Chadussid did a few mental calculations, then pulled a few vials out of his belt. "Demons. Goddamn excellent work, this."

The spears quaked a little.

"We have about thirty seconds at that rate until they break through. And I'm not going in that tunnel for another sixty seconds; if Law feels like going out in a blaze of demonic glory, he isn't taking me with him."

He looked behind him. The greater majority of the group had already fallen into the tunnel.

One of the spears cracked a bit.

He continued to shout orders. He saw the quiet girl with the weapon.

"Give me that. Quickly, no time to waste."

She handed it over: a heavy crossbow, of fine make and manufacture. Loaded. After a moment's struggle with the weapon, he smashed the bolt angrily out of its carriage, breaking it and releasing the taut bowcord.
Chadussid yelped a little: the impact had cut his hand bad. No time to worry about that. He picked up the bolthead, calmly notched the cork in one of his potions, and tied another to it with twine.

One of the spears had cracked. Rey brandished his sword and shouted angry challenges at the demons. A couple of the members of the party were still there; the crossbowwoman, weaponless, had decided to take her chances with the tunnel.

The other spear was cracking, and minute holes were spreading in the torn-up, smoldering door. Chadussid yanked back the gear crank and stared angrily into the door.

"Take this!"

He shot a potion of detonation, small, through one of the larger holes in the main door, and it hit a demon foresquare in the chest. Glass shards went everywhere, tearing the demons apart. A few went back into the bunker, and one bounced a few times and hit Rey in the back of the head. He fell over, his helmet ruined, obviously cut. The angry howl said that he wasn't badly hurt. That was all that mattered at present.

The broken pieces of spear -- for that impact obliterated the barricade -- fell out gently, and the doors swung open. Holding the weapon with one hand, the corps sergeant pulled another vial from his belt and prepared for the last.

Forty-eight-one-thousand...

Just then, the world exploded. "Bastards! Demonic scum! Traitors! See what happens when you dare to defy the Double Empire!"

Bombs, shrapnel bombs, and flying bars ripped through the demonic hordes. "See your allies fall, treacherous scum! See them fall to the might of Cartouche and the Corps!"

He remembered that voice. "Lieutenant?"

An angry hiss and the scattering of rushes. Where once there stood dozens upon dozens of demons, there were now one or two alive and in fighting shape. Chadussid quietly notched another potion and leveled it at the demons.

"Demons. Horde devils, to be precise. And one simple fact about horde devils will make this far easier than it already is."

"What? What do you mean by that?"

"Worthless maggots! I, Saoczectiu Arfon Chadussid, have slain your pathetic commanders and I stand in complete dominion of your lives! Approach and I may yet forego the pleasure of taking them."

Something on Chadussid's neck glowed. The demons shambled towards him, head bowed.

"Where are the hordes headquartered?"

"The temple, almighty master."

"Why have you arrived here?"

"To take the Stone of Thunder, almighty master."

"And where is the Stone of Thunder?"

"In the caverns of Elisaviros beneath the earth. One entry to these caverns is in this fortress."

"Go forth and attack the temple with all possible force. As your master, I so command you."

"It shall be --" --past that, Chadussid understood no more. The charge on his amulet had worn out.

Rey stared at him quizzically.

"Those tunnels are actually manmade extensions of some sort of cavern system. Inside of that cavern system is an artifact of tremendous power which these demons are after. We are up against horde devils. This means that they favor the quarter-sides attack on any objective: four equal forces, one of which strikes a strong point, one of which strikes a weak point, one of which tries to slip in undetected, and another of which tries to use engineering tactics to achieve their objective."

"In plain language?"

"In plain language, the men in those tunnels shall soon, unless extracted from them, be up against one hundred twenty to two hundred and fifty demons of significant power, possibly accompanied by tunneler machines and employing rudimentary torpedoes."

"So..."

"So get that damn fool Law and the rest out of there at once or they're all hosed!"

--------------------
How come Jesus gets industrial disease?

Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #203
OOC: Rey is with the group traveling through the tunnel, and he is at the end of the line, so any demons who catch up will have to deal with Rey. And he is wearing a demon skull over his helmet.

[ Saturday, June 19, 2004 18:49: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
-The Squire of Gothos
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #204
OOC: The idea here is that the group took a while to file into the tunnel and Rey was among the last.

And also, there are far more defensible places to be in the event of demonic attack than a series of underground tunnels...

--------------------