Valley of Thunder RP

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Valley of Thunder RP
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #205
"He's right."

Chadussid whirled around, leveling the crossbow at the lump huddled in the corner. The lump stirred.

"He's right," Sadith said again, getting up and walking slowly towards Chadussid. "Get them out of the tunnel. That fool Law doesn't recognize me. I told them not to build tunnels. They didn't listen. Law is probably the only one of them still alive, and that proves only that there is a God."

Chadussid lowered the bow. "Who are you?"

"Not now. We are surrounded, grey one. It's suicidal to leave the bunker. It's suicidal to stay in the bunker. But if we go through those tunnels, we'll end up their sla-"

Sadith was cut off by a terrified scream. Another followed, then another, as figures began pouring out of the tunnel. "Attack!" "Demons!" "Oh gods, oh gods!"

"They've started already! Rey, get them the hell out of there!" Chadussid shouted, trying to be heard above the chaos. He didn't need help; those inside the tunnel felt exactly the same way. The last adventurer tripped and fell through the trap door, into the bunker, his left arm ripped off completely. A bolt was shot through the door, back at the demons, and a shrill cry made Sadith cringe. So close, so close, oh God, oh God... the tide of black was returning, he could see nothing, nothing, just darkness...

"RUN!" Sadith screamed, grabbing the fallen adventurer's sword. Chadussid led the party through the shattered entrance, out into the hostile woods; Sadith tried to follow, swinging the sword wildly behind him at the rush of demons. Eferas saw him and grabbed him, summoning his strength for a flash of white fire; Sadith's vision cleared in time to see several demons writhing on the ground. They ran together, chasing the main body of adventurers as fast as possible, stopping sporadically to cut down any demons that got too close. Then Chadussid was by their side, firing potions into the oncoming masses, as the party hacked its way through the thinning demon seige. A bomb exploded close by, cutting a swath through the demon horde and hurling the three backwards; they hit the ground and rolled, and Chadussid helped the other two up. A glint of white flowed through his body, then faded into the grey once more. Taking one last look backwards, Sadith hurled a rock and ran. "To Selger! To Selger!"

EDIT: Spelling.

[ Saturday, June 19, 2004 19:32: Message edited by: Lady Davida ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #206
"I can't run!" Hispar cried. Akhtar silently swept him up. Despite his thick robes, the shaman was surprisingly light.

"This is very, very bad," Hispar muttered during the nightmarish dash from the bunker. Spared from running, he had the breath to spare for commentary. "Some of us will die for this. We should have taken the tunnel."

Kenthred gave him a murderous look and yelled something unintelligible. Hispar appeared not to notice. "The demons will get the stone now. In fact... No!" his eyes widened. "They are there! They are all there, and they are here!" He bagan to convulse wildly, nearly squirming out of Akhtar's grip and causing the man to stumble.

"I will join the spirits!" Hispar babbled, beginning to froth at the mouth. Then his eyes rolled back in his head. Light flashed somewhere behind the fleeing group.

"What was that?" Sadith asked, panting for breath. Then, glancing behind, "The demons! They've slowed. Maybe the man cast a spell before having a fit."

"They didn't slow much," Akhtar grunted. "They're coming again. Keep running."

Chadussid stopped, shook his head, and pointed forward. "Actually, that is a bad idea. There are demons blocking the way as well. We are trapped in between. Do any of you gentlemen have ideas for how to get us out of this mess, that is entirely the fault of fools who do not know when to follow eminently sensible directions?

?Alorael, who thinks he could start a new trend: epilepsy mages. Cast a spell, have a seizure. Sure, it's not fun, but it works!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #207
IC: Oskoth manages to find the first hatch by the river and ironically, he finds that Akhtar is nowhere in sight.

Oskoth: "Damn, I wonder where he went..."

Oskoth then hears a huge explosion coming from the direction of the bunker.

Oskoth: "That definitely can't be good. I hope they are all right. If any of those people in the bunker have any sense, they will follow me eventually in the tunnels."

He then hears horrific screams coming from the direction of the Bunker. Unbeknownst to him, the demon horde had passed right under him while he had been in the hatch opening, and they were coming out of the trap door in the bunker. Unaware that this has happened, Oskoth goes back down into the tunnel. When he turns to walk towards Selger, he sees something hiding in the shadows.

Oskoth: "Now I wonder what that is."

He sees it move and gets nervous. He quickly casts a light spell in the tunnel and sees the figure of Daniel cowering from it.

Oskoth: "What the hell are you doing down here?"

Daniel: "I?m sorry. I was following you. I just wanted to get away from the bunker. Did you realize that a group of demons passed right under us while we...uh...you were up there looking through the hatch?"

Oskoth: "What demons?"

Daniel: "You remember those horrific screams? Those were the other adventurers running out of the bunker away from the demons. I heard them passing under us. I was ten feet below you on the ladder."

Oskoth: "By the gods, how did they manage to get in the tunnel?"

Daniel: "They probably found the trap door on the other end... Uh, what's that noise?"

The two of them hear a series of growling sounds coming from the direction of the bunker.

Daniel: "Uh oh. Apparently, not all of them went out through the Bunker end. We better make a run for it up and out of the emergency hatch!!"

Oskoth: "Never mind the shaft! We don't have time! Make a run for Selger! I will try to hold them off here!"

Daniel: (Visibly stunned and shaken) "With what?!!! A sword and some stones?!! You can't fend them off with that!!!"

Oskoth: "Sylvain told me that this tunnel was hewn out of a natural cave system and that the walls are extremely solid. However, that isn't true. In a cave system, many of the walls may look solid, but they are made mostly of limestone. A very soft rock. Not only that but they are perforated with holes and other undiscovered caves. Sylvain said it would take a hell of a lot of magic to bring down the support beams and cave in any given section of the it..."

Daniel: "Yeah, and..."

Oskoth: "And I happen to have a hell of a lot of magic. I don't like showing off my skill because I killed someone by accident once and was jailed for it. I vowed I would never use magic and get anyone killed again. However, it only takes an emergency to bring those skills back. And... For Pete's sake!!! Get out of here now!!!"

Daniel gives Oskoth a salute and takes a second magical torch that Oskoth hurriedly made for him. Oskoth sticks his torch in a crevice and starts concentrating hard. Suddenly he starts hearing the growls off in the distance in front of him drawing closer.

Oskoth: "By the gods, there must be dozens of them. I better work fast."

He conjures up a Firestorm spell and throws it down the tunnel. It suddenly impacts on something in midair and he hears a horrific screech. In the flames, he can see several demons running around on fire in agony. As the flames begin to die down, he can see over a dozen demons headed for him. He concentrates again and begins chanting. He thinks of a powerful spell that a wizard once taught him and the words come alive with an eerie echo in the tunnel. The Shockwave spell, he figures, will deal a good amount of damage to the demons, and help start to collapse the tunnel.

Oskoth: "Exfelia aldonte sur kel tormente!!!!"

He then hits the cave walls with his open hands and a blue pulse is sent out down the tunnel in either direction. Luckily for Daniel, he has just stepped out of range and the pulse stops just behind him. Nevertheless, all the support beams are cracked in the process and the demons caught in the pulse are ravaged by it. Several of the demons fall and lie writhing on the ground, while others are unharmed and simply walk over the bodies of the fallen ones.

Oskoth begins to feel light-headed, but his work isn't finished. He tries for one last spell he learned from a mining mage. He starts chanting the words to the Shatter spell, and knows that he might not be able to escape its wrath in time to save himself. But at least Daniel would survive to get to Selger. Daniel turns around and watches Oskoth off in the distance. He recognizes the spell from the chanting and yells to Oskoth.

Daniel: "Are you nuts, Oskoth, you are going to cave the tunnel in!!!"

Oskoth shoots him a smug look and he thinks to himself.

Daniel: "Oh, god! That's what he wants to do!!!" (Back to Oskoth) "Get out of there you fool!! It's not worth the risk!!"

Oskoth ignores him and finishes the chanting.

Oskoth: "Kallimar triskovey exferes!!!!"

He drives his hands into the cave floor just as a group of the demons comes within ten feet of him. A shockwave of energy is sent out through the ground and walls and the support beams for 75 feet in both direction shatter. The demons are thrown to the ground and Daniel runs to escape the shockwave approaching him. The cave ceiling above the demons is the first to start collapsing. Oskoth sees his opportunity in the demons' confusion and takes off running towards Daniel.

The demons try to follow, but the ceiling above them collapses and they are instantly crushed under tons of rock. The cave ceiling starts collapsing a few feet behind Oskoth and a section in front of him. He dives through it and a boulder hits his leg, and it cracks a bone. Oskoth gets up through the pain and keeps on hobbling along down the tunnel, avoiding rocks falling here and there from shattered sections of ceiling.

As he reaches the edge of the collapsing part of tunnel, a section of wall gives way and he is buried underneath it. Before disappearing from consciousness, Oskoth calls out.

Oskoth: "Daniel!!! Help!! AHHHHHHH....."

OOC: No, he isn't dead. He is buried in the rubble with his head and one arm sticking out on the ground, with his back up against an intact section of cave wall. The rest of him is buried.

IC: Above ground, the adventurers are sandwiched in between a group of demons. Unexpectedly the ground begins to shake from a mild tremor. Then all is quiet. The demons begin to advance further towards them and a second, immensely violent tremor shakes the earth. Suddenly the ground that the group of demons behind them is standing on collapses underneath them. They disappear into a long straight sinkhole that extends towards the bunker and horrific screeching is heard from the dying demons.

Chadussid: "What the hell just happened?!!"

Sylvain: "The tunnel, someone has blown it up and collapsed a section of it. But who?"

Eferas: "I can think of only one person we no longer have with us... Oskoth."

Chadussid: "That weak little nitwit? Since when was he a mage?"

Eferas: "He confessed it to me. It's something from his hidden past."

Chadussid: "Great, another mage to worry about."

Sylvain: "No, mage can't be right. No ordinary mage can cast a Shatter spell. He has to be a wizard."

Chadussid: "Who cares? If he ever gets possessed, he will become a very powerful enemy either way. Now let's concentrate on this other group of demons. We can thank Oskoth later for getting rid of the ones behind us."

--------------------
(Looks around in the Study)
Colonel Mustard: "Just checking."
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #208
Sylvain stiffened and stood up angrily. "These demons are not important. Can't you see that? That man, Garath - he's already making his way there!" He began to walk away from the group, holding his mace defensively. "If nobody else will save the temple, then I will do it myself, even if I have to die to do it." He stormed off angrily, spitting and muttering prayers to Hiram while stroking his healed arm.

Eferas furrowed his brow. "We're here to close the portal in the southeast. We should also try to protect the Stone of Thunder - if it falls into demonic hands, the demons will spread far beyond this valley. Any demons we come across between the two of them will only slow us down if we try to systematically eliminate them." The others in the group looked less than enthusiastic.

[ Sunday, June 20, 2004 00:38: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #209
OOC: MSW, 'mage' and 'wizard' are interchangeable terms afaik. Eferas is a mage, even though you would classify his powers as those of a wizard, following the above logic.

Drakey, I'm with you. IMAGE(wink0002.gif)

IC:

"I assume that this Stone of Thunder is what caused the earthquakes that the survivor told about before we went on this journey. That would mean it is an artifact with powers over the Earth, and thus tremendously valuable to the demons, who could use it as an additional focus with which to summon more of their ilk here, and for other purposes." He stopped, then creased his brow again, while speaking. He seemed oblivious to the immediate danger around them, and he ignored the exasperated glances some of them shot him as he spoke on.

"On the other hand, the portal is currently the only thing allowing the demons to remain here. They cannot stay on this plane by their own power for long, and once the bridge they came through is gone, they too must vanish. So whatever focus there is in the temple, once we destroy it, the greatest problem is solved. Only," he suddenly became nervous, "if they get the Stone before then, they don't need the portal."

"Which means what?", Chadussid asked, barely able to contain his impatience.

"Which means we have to hurry like hell. Literally."

With that, he turned, drew his robe about him, and began to run as quickly as he could after Sylvain. He stopped briefly, and faced the group.

"Keep them away from the bunker as long as you can. And, uh... fly, you fools!"

OOC: Just couldn't resist that last one. IMAGE(tongue02.gif)

[ Sunday, June 20, 2004 01:34: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Visit The Santharian Dream and its RP board. Or the Encyclopaedia Ermariana!
Got a brain? Go to Polaris!
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
To a conspiracy for downfall and desperance
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #210
"That's all very well, but long term plans aren't much use here. First order of the day is not dying."

"That means you lot need to get well away from here. Selger might be the right place to regroup, demons don't need to inhabit the town per se. But I don't care. Just get away and use your initiative."

Kenthred beckons Chadussid over.

"You and I aren't going with them. The two of us in the dark can cause more damage than a large group of wounded, bumbling and arguing fools. Besides, it'll make you marginally less likely to have to deal with a dagger in the back."

As the rest of the group move off, squabbling as quietly as possible about eventual aims, Chadussid and Kenthred stride through the forest the other way.

About 300 yards further on, both stop at once. An inhuman grunt is heard, swiftly followed by strange high-pitched giggling. The pair begin to flank the location.

Kenthred gets a clear view first. The creature is as large as a Shetland pony, with a huge black mane, legs with an unfeasible amount of bony protuberances above the hooves, burning red eyes and row upon row of teeth.

Behind it half a dozen kobolds dance about like maniacs, presumably with some small item of loot.

Kenthred's gaze returns to the creature. Whilst the rest of its body is blacker than the darkest night sky, its teeth are a shining white. He counts two rows of teeth, a mixture of incisors and oversized canines.

Briefly, he glances to his side and notices Chadussid has very nearly enveloped the kobolds. He turns back to the creature.

It's name, he recalls, is a Nightmare. This thing is not even half grown. They have six rows of teeth, he recalls.

Suddenly, he steps out into the clearing and slams the butt of his spear into the ground.

The Nighmare notices him and unleashes a barbarous roar. As its mouth opens wide, Kenthred observes the third and fourth rows of teeth. He takes a step forward.

The Nightmare charges. No mortal beast could reach such a great speed so quickly. In little more than a second, it is upon him. As it leaps, Kenthred spots the fifth row of teeth, full of premolars. He adjusts the angle of his spear slightly.

And as the spear enters the Nightmare's brain through the roof of its mouth, the end in his hands snapping off as this happens, he sees the sixth row of teeth. Then draws his sword and in the same smooth movement, ends the creatures writhings.

The entire affair was over within three seconds. As the startled kobolds rush forward, Chadussid somersaults through the air. Two of the kobolds collapse with blades in their backs.

The remaining four pause, unsure where to turn. And through hesitation, they are lost. Kenthred lunges towards the nearest, the point of his sword going straight through its fragile brain casing. Chadussid abandons his blades and breaks a kobold's neck with his hands. Kenthred knocks a kobold off its feet with a huge downward smash from a shield and as he goes to finish him off, the last kobold attempts to make a break.

He goes two steps before Chadussid delivers the grave gauche.

"That wasn't too hard. Pity it didn't achieve anything."

Chadussid shakes his head as he bends over to retrieve his weapons. "Rubbish. That Nightmare's roar was pretty loud. Every demonspawn within half a mile is going to come investigate. I'd call that a pretty good lure."

"Then we'll have to do this quickly." A look of confusion momentarily crosses Chadussid's face, almost instantaneously replaced by Kenthred's boot.

Kenthred drags him into a nearby thicket, shoves him up against a tree and as he frisks him for weapons, begins to speak.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to kill you out of pique or ambition. I'm only going to kill you if I think you're making things more dangerous for me. OK?"

Chadussid nods, a small discrete movement intended to look nothing like a potential hostile act.

"Now, I have some questions for you. Lets start with this. What are you doing here? You aren't just here because you wanted adventure. You said yourself that the Corps sent a representative. They knew a Corpsman was in Selger. They knew there was great potential for danger.

"Yet they sent a young Master Sergeant. The Corps fetishises youth, but even taking that into account you've risen quickly.

"And you aren't an officer. I recognise your accent. Educated at a top school, scion of a provincial gentry family, the sort which always fills the regular military.

"That you went into the Corps isn't too surprising. That you didn't become an officer is. In fact, it stinks. It suggests the Corps had better uses for you.

"In fact, I don't believe you're as ignorant as you pretend. I think the Corps has a better idea of what's going on out here than the crown. I think the Corps knew one of their men was still alive.

"I think you've been tasked to either kill him or bring him back. And I think their must be a reason they chose you.

"So what is he? Uncle? Older brother? Tell me, and make your lie convincing. The sooner I know why you're here and can therefore work out why the rest of us were allowed to tag along, the sooner I can give you back your weapons and we can show Garath how you really do a blood eagle."

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #211
Dark voices moved amongst the shadows of the forest, amidst the rasping of scales and the clatter of claws on dry bark. In the centre of a small clearing knelt a man, before an orb of flashing light. Black veins moved across the surface of the orb.

"Garath Norben, you have failed."

"I have not, master."

"You dare argue with me?"

The man remained silent.

"You were tasked to remain within the group, to aid in their self-destruction, to give me information they can provide, and to deliver demonslayer into my hands. Instead, your cover has been blown within days. The punishment for failure is death."

Rumblings grew within the woods around him. Garath stood, a blade in his hand.

"No, sir. I have found out their intentions, and I have shattered them. Even now, my scouts find that they have broken, and disunited, they will surely fall. The corpsman, Chadussid, had wasted his time fighting shadows and illusions, while our forces have guaged his strengths. They are weakened, and they have run out of their clever tricks."

The orb dimmed for a moment, as though in consideration.

"Then you will go to Selgar, where you say they are headed. You will take command of the humans there which I have perverted to my side, and you will take the town, and destroy the mission."

"Yes, master."

"And Garath, I see mysteries in your mind. Why are you so interested in this priest, Sylvain? And in this temple? Are there things you have not tol.."

Instantly, Garath threw himself at the orb. Caught off balance, the magical field suspending it fluttered wildly, and the small sphere spun through the air to a nearby tree, where it shattered into a dozen pieces.

"An accident." He mumbled.

A small imp approached, bowing gracelessly.

"What orders?"

"Send half of our forces to Selgar. Inform the locals. Is Chadussid going through the forest?"

"Yes, sir."

"Then torch the forest. That should slow him down, until he gets to open ground."

"What of the main force?"

"Keep them in reserve. Our enemies haven't slept properly for days. Keep raiding them, don't let them have a moment's rest."

"And you?"

"I am going to the temple. Send a snatch-squad to find the priest, and bring him to me."
Shock Trooper
Member # 3238
Profile #212
Daniel slowly came to as the dust cleared from around the tunnel. The cave in had ended, and he was thrown off by one of the falling boulders, knocking him out cold. For how long, he couldn't tell. His blurred vision couldn't see much ahead, other than the magical torch, still lit even after the cave in. "Man, isn't is amazing that we lived?" He said, his mind in disarray, not even knowing that Oskoth was buried within the rocks. "Well, isn't... it?" Daniel questioned. He turned his head slowly, his vision finally clearing up, to see the rocks completely blocking his view. He scrambled back up, praying to multiple gods for help. He picked up the torch hurridly and looked at the cave in. Nothing but rocks. He frantically looked about, seeing nothing. Oskoth... is he...?

"Uugh..." A voice mumbled from the distance. Daniel cautiously walked closer to the mound of rock, drawing his mace out as well, and approached the source of the voice. "Uuugh..." It voiced again. Something in the corner moved, and daniel lept on it, swinging his mace down near the area. He missed completely, smashing a nearby rock and causing the figure to jolt back, as much as it could. Daniel looked at it again, and finally noticed who exactly it was. "Oskoth!? Oskoth, thank the gods above that your alive!" Daniel shouted, jumping about. "Just stay there, I'll help you out of there!" Daniel began hefting some rocks out of the way.

"Uugh..." Oskoth replied.

OOC: Not good quality, but I actually posted. =P

--------------------
"Friendship is two things: Trust, and sharing. I personally see it as a business opportunity."
-Random Quote

Newage3 - Insanitatious Fun in a Browser!
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #213
Rey was somehow seperated from the group. He wandered through the forest aimlessly. The only thing protecting his head was the demon skull he found. It fell off when his helmet was ruined(Which he left behind.). He heard rustling in the bushes. Then he heard two creatures speaking a language he couldn't understand.(Translated) "Could he be the one?" One demon said. "No, he can't be the one. The one has mighty horns sprouting from his head, is so powerful the forest itself bows down to him at his approach, and weilds the Demonslayer. The sword he weilds is NOT the Demonslayer...it's just a longsword. A nice one, at that." (end translation.)

Rey walked on for a few minutes, and he came upon an abandoned stump. He tried to pull the demon skull off. "It won't budge! Perhaps the words on the back describe a spell that removes the skull. Or...I hope it doesn't...fuse the skull to my head and...(He gulps)...make me a demon. I'll just have to take that chance. I doubt there's a spell that turns someone into a demon." He gets back up, and readies his shield and sword.

He goes back the way he came to the stump and finds a clearing. The clearing where he was seperated from the group. He sees some human footprints and follows them, hoping he'll find someonewho can read the words on the back of the demon skull.

OOC: If someone does read the words on the back of the skull, I would like to post what happens. Though you could post something like "it started to glow wildly and vibrate."

--------------------
Entertaining songs !Click here to get to the misc. boards!
Attack, icons, attack!THIS PAGE ROCKS!!
Vicious virus stalks the web, has already infected over 200 computers: read more!
"Did you know that the human is the only animal that preys upon itself?"
-The Squire of Gothos
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #214
OOC: Okay, let's try to get this right

IC: Walking into the shattered bunker, Terril was looking around for something. Two or three dead bodies lay among the debris. He didn't care though. They were dead. No-one can help them now.

Ever since he woke up he had be feeling odd. Stronger almost. Everything seemed to have a clarity of sorts about it. In a bare few hours his wounds had healed - not even a scar remained.

He still didn't know what that thing was, or what had happened after he fell over. What happened to me? He pushed it out of his mind, it didn't matter right now. He was looking for something. He wasn't sure what it was, he just knew it was here in the bunker. Somewhere.

There. He started to dig at the rubble. It took him almost an hour to dig it out. But it still gleamed, even after being buried, even in the pre-dawn it... glowed. Demonslayer.

Terril strode out into the dawn, the sword firmly grasped in his hand. What now? Selger? The temple? Far in the distance he thought he could see some demons moving through the forest.

It's a start

OOC: He's heading roughly ESE. Roughly towards the last bridge over the big river that Selger is next to. Two things: one, MSW, how about a map update so we know where everyone is, it's starting to get a little fragmented. Two, considering the size of the valley and potential of the story, it is probably concluding a little too quickly. In addition, anyone heading for the Stone will be there before the end of the day, if the portal is to be at the underground cavern enterance (assumption I know, but judging from the ICs correct) at the far south of the valley, it would take about three days hard march, more if fighting, from the present position. Probably a good idea to sort out the details before going and doing this.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #215
Rey became bored and decided to head back to the bunker. He managed to find his way back. Once he nearded the bunker, he saw Terril. "The Demonslayer! I know that sword is good at slaying demons!" Rey walks up to Terril. "Can you read the demon language? And another thing...are you planning on keeping the Demonslayer?" Rey eyed Terril, which made him slightly nervous. Rey lifted his sword...as if he was willing to fight for it!

--------------------
Vicious virus stalks the web, has already infected over 200 computers: read more!
-The Squire of Gothos
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #216
Raymond looked around, seeing that the group is in a state of confusion. Sylvain and Eferas were obviously running for the Temple. Though he felt that his own survival is a top priority, the priest was the only one who would know what happend while he was trapped in the demon world.

"Dammit, Sylvain, wait!" Raymond shouted, and ran after them...

EDIT: oops.

[ Sunday, June 20, 2004 06:39: Message edited by: Wise Man ]

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #217
OOC:Rey is currently with Terril.

--------------------
-The Squire of Gothos
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #218
Terril drew his other sword. He wasn't used to wielding two blades at once, and Demonslayer was more of a two-handed weapon but he managed it.

"You have four options; one, you fight me for it and you will lose," Rey started to open is mouth in protest but was cut off; "no arguments; you're still not up to proper fighting fitness. Two, give me a damn good reason why I should and I might. Three, leave it and go away. Or four, leave it and follow me. I don't know where the others are, I don't know what happened here or even what's going on now. I'm not having a terribly good day and unless you can tell me something of any interest or suggest something else, I'm going to fight some demons."

"Well?"

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #219
OOC: I am normally on your side Zephyr, but I suggest that you don't even try this plot twist or I will boot your a$$ out of the RP. IMAGE(mad00000.gif) We are going to defeat this enemy the old-fashioned way, not by you leading the demons to their own deaths. No one in this RP in his or her right minds will agree to your idea.

--------------------
(Looks around in the Study)
Colonel Mustard: "Just checking."
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #220
Eferas was gasping by now. Several hours had past since he and Sylvain had separated from the main group. He was not used to long marches in the best of times, and certainly not after running this fast. Fortunately, Sylvain was not too far ahead of him. Only after Eferas completely caught up, he realized this was because Sylvain had stopped. He was casting his gaze about, looking among the trees.

"There is mischief about here."

"I feel it too. I can sense demons not far off." Eferas grew nervous. There shouldn't be any demons here. They were more than a mile away from the others now.

"Do you think there may be an..." Sylvain didn't finish, because at that moment, there was a fearsome racket in the woods around them. At least a dozen imps sprang out between the trees and attacked immediately.

Eferas was able to cast a shower of flame lances almost reflexively, several demons fell to the ground scorched. One of the imps approached him from behind, but he lay about with his staff, and that attacker, too, was felled. Sylvain quickly joined in with a demon-repelling ritual, which killed several more.

The battle continued in this vein for some time, the two magic-users felling the weak demons like wheat-stalks. But there were far too many, and magical energy is limited. Before long, the two were tired by their spell-casting.

I wonder where this force came from. It is as if it had been specifically sent to target us. Eferas thought, but was interrupted by a club to the head. His last thought was Why don't they kill us? Then he knew no more.

--------------------
Visit The Santharian Dream and its RP board. Or the Encyclopaedia Ermariana!
Got a brain? Go to Polaris!
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
To a conspiracy for downfall and desperance
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #221
OOC: I'm not entirely certain as to what Zephyr is planning, IMAGE(confusee.gif) but the way he's going about it is certainly not right. And if I do get the gist, I'm certainly not going to take any part in that as to the effect of my large OOC two posts ago. :rolleyes:

If you continue in that plan, despite MSW's warnings, I believe that I may have to escort your character to a rather pointy ending (or two in this case). Get the point? IMAGE(smile001.gif)

[ Sunday, June 20, 2004 07:23: Message edited by: FatBatMonkey ]

--------------------

Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #222
Curses! Raymond shouted. I am too late.

An imp attempted to tackle the blademen, but found his head smashed in by the hard iron butt of his spear launcher - that part IS meant for smashing heads. Shooting an actual spear at near point-blank range felled a lesser demon from his left. Seeing that he would not have time to reload the weapon, he replaced it in favour of the katana.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw something drag Eferas around. Sylvain was, unsurprisingly, nowhere to be found. Bah, the old priest can take care of himself, Ray figured. A second imp charged at him, but didn't last more than a couple seconds.

A bolt came whizzing by from Eferas' direction, and would have pierced Raymond's skull had he not bent down to evade a demon claw. Instead, the demon was shot in the wrist, and left itself wide open for a beheading. Knowing the corpsman was there, he approached the soldier, using the bushes to hide himself from the demons. Knowing that Raymond could shoot just as far as he could (but not knowing he lacked the accuracy), the corpsman did the same, leaving Eferas on the ground.

After a very long five minutes of trying to evade each other, Ray managed to approach the corpsman from behind, and sliced down in a powerful arc. However, the soldier managed to block the attack, losing only his crossbow instead of his life. He drew his own sword, and began to attack Ray with great fury, not allowing anyone from the party to see him and live to tell the tale.

Forced into a highly defensive stance, Raymond parried at least fifty or so strokes before he found a chance to dive to the right and let the corpsman lunge by and get tangled inside the thick bushes. The bladesman looked where Eferas was supposed to be - and found that he was gone. Cursing at himself for getting distracted, he made a run back to the party, making sure to shread off a piece of the corpsman's clothing and to retrieve the broken crossbow as proof that the corpsman won't be shooting at the party for a while...

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #223
Rey mumbled to himself as he followed Terril, decideing that his own longsword should be sufficient enough to slaughter demons. He felt the back of the demon skull to see if the demon writing was still there. It wasn't. He checked the forehead. No writing. He pulled the demon skull off his head. "It finally came off!" He threw it up in the air and struck it with his sword. It fell to the ground. No visible damage. "I guess I can use it as a helmet until I find a new one." He put it back on and continued to follow Terril.

A little later, there was still nothing happening. Rey decided to find another path to travel at his own pace. He ran(very quickly) to another part of the forest and continued to run in the direction that he followed Terril. In just a few seconds he found something: a sword carved from bone. There was a word carved into the handle in some foreign language Rey couldn't read. He picked it up. I wonder why these demons are leaving bones lying around. Then he saw some human footprints. The same ones that he followed before. He followed them hoping to re-find the group.

--------------------
-The Squire of Gothos
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #224
Running again, running from the demons. Sadith found it hard to remember ever doing anything else. The sword banged against his shin as he ran, panting, through the dark forest. An imp sprang up and he knocked it down; mining made one strong very quickly.

He heard a voice and he stopped. That fool, that goddamned fool Raymond, he though. What was he doing here? Shouldn't he be back with Chadussid? So should I, he though, but the demons... looking over his shoulder once more, he ran in the direction of Raymond's voice.

"Raymond! It's Sadith! Where are you?"

The crashing stopped. "Sadith? Who?"

"The miner! Raymond, you fool, where are you?"

The spearman exploded out of the bushes, spear launcher pointed straight at his heart. Seeing Sadith's face, Raymond's mouth opened and he pulled back.

"You! I thought you were dead!"

"You're lucky not to be, yourself. Are you alone?"

Raymond fingered the launcher nervously. "Why?"

"Because we're in the middle of dark, hostile woods, surrounded by demons!" Sadith shouted. "You're stupid, but you're on the right side. I can see that. Where's Chadussid? Where's the wizard?"

"Oh, Eferas? He's... I don't know, actually. He was unconscious, and now he's gone. The corpsman might have him."

"Chadussid?"

"The other one." Raymond waved the bit of cloth.

"Another corpsman? Why did they send more than-"

An explosion cut him off. Both men ducked instinctively as shards of glass flew over their heads. Sadith turned towards the flash of grey; it quickly disappeared back into the bushes.

"What was-"

"That's why! Damnit, I forgot about the bombs!"

"He has Eferas?" Sadith shouted.

"Let's go!" Raymond hefted the launcher and Sadith drew his sword, and they ran off into the bushes after the wounded corpsman.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #225
Sylvain watched the two of them from under the bushes, gripping his mace tightly. As much as it was regrettable that Eferas had been dragged off by the corpsman, there was no time to spare in going to the temple. He had no intention of going after Raymond and Sadith. Now he knew that Garath knew he was coming, and now he could approach more carefully.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #226
EDIT: Misread.

VWM, your post is extremely ill-advised for the following reasons:

1. Getting into hand-to-hand combat with a corps officer is a piss-poor idea. They spend years training in hand-to-hand combat, and what Chadussid pulled on Law he would almost definitely follow before Law could so much as draw his weapon -- at worst, he'd get cut up a bit. And then, unlike Chadussid, he'd finish it by tearing Law's spine out through his neck.

2. Eferas does NOT want to be in the Corpsman's custody -- the Corps doesn't normally take prisoners or hostages (part of the whole 'blood cult' thing they have going on), and the corpsman is clearly under the impression we are possessed by or in cahoots with the demon army. This means that if the Corpsman captured him, he would either overpower Eferas and the next we would see of him would be his head suspended from a tree by his intestines or a mangled corpse a few yards from the body of the Lieutenant.

Generally, getting captured and interrogated by demons is a far more pleasant idea.

[ Monday, June 21, 2004 02:51: Message edited by: George A. Custer Declares You To Be ]

--------------------
They want to have a war to keep their factories
They want to have a war to keep us on our knees
They want to have a war to stop us buying Japanese
They want to have a war to stop industrial disease
They're pointing out the enemy to keep you deaf and blind
They want to suck your energy, incarcerate your mind
Give you Rule Brittania, gassy beer, page three
Two weeks in Hispania and sunday striptease
Meanwhile, the first Jesus says, "I'll cure it soon
Abolish Monday mornings and Friday afternoons"
The other one's out on hunger strike, he's dying by degrees
How come Jesus gets industrial disease?

Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #227
OOC: Time to clear up. This nonsense has been going on for long enough. IC follows in edit, I just want to secure the post position.

IC:

Bump.

This was the third time he had hit his head in this weird tunnel. He was running along - no, crawling - and repeatedly banging his head on the ceiling. It must be a mess of lumps by now, but he could not stop. The corpsman was behind him. No, the demons. He heard hissing, as from grossly misshapen mouths and forked tongues, and the tramp of clawed feet on rock. He did not know for how long he had been running like this, and it did not matter. He did not even remember who he was, exactly. He just had to get away from these creatures, then find a way to get back to open air again. But he was starting to tire out, he was bruising his hands and knees on the rough floor, and his head was slowly starting to spin, a giant ball filled with ice-cold, scalding fire. Another bump on the ceiling, a deep sound as if from an iron gong, and he passed out...
and woke up.

Eferas. That was his name. How could he ever forget that?

He had been captured by imps. Pesky, weak little creatures. What an indignity for a wizard like him. His first thought was, strangely enough, of annoyance, not fear. For what could happen to him? He still had his magic, hadn't he? It never occured to him that his magic, powerful as it was, still had not helped him against these demons. His head felt even worse than it had in his dream. Eferas decided that a solid club to the head was one of the less fun things that you wanted to experience.

As he woke up more fully, he realized he was tied down, and lying on a rather uncomfortable stone floor that was only marginally cushioned by a thin layer of straw. His eyes were still misty, and he could make out little of his immediate surroundings. But he slowly became aware of a figure standing before him. He blearily stared at the creature. A human, not a demon.

"You have taken long enough to wake, old man. Get a move on." The voice was familiar. Eferas' eyes cleared a little more, and he recognized the man's face.

Garath.

Eferas clenched his fists. "Garath! I'll..."

"You will do nothing, wizard. You will only speak, for now."

Eferas clenched his mouth tightly.

OOC: FZ, your turn.

[ Monday, June 21, 2004 03:17: Message edited by: Aran ]
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #228
"I've been in the Corps for some years, and I've had to do things that no decent man would normally acquiesce to to get as far as I have among the enlisted men. I can tell you that the Corps doesn't fetishize youth any more than the Army fetishizes sheep."

"That, however, is not the point, or if it is, it's only so in an oblique way. The point is that I joined the Corps because I saw the writing on the wall. I saw that my children would not retain their titles if the absurd resistance to Cartouchian rule by the local nobility continued. So at the age of sixteen, I hopped the fence. At an age I'm sure you spent abusing yourself to the thought of the local blacksmith's daughter -- or, were you many of your associates, I should say the blacksmith's products -- I spent my days growing well-accustomed to the perverse beauty of silent and righteous death."

"Of course, first had to come the loyalty test. The standard test involved raising a boar from infancy and slaughtering it. That would not be enough for the son of a local gentry. I spent a year and a half touring the world. They call them women-and-children assignments, the ones I started out on, because most assignments just involve killing men. But no. The groups I was put in were mostly men of high non-official rank, men who had passed up their chance to become mavericks and were now languishing in an entirely loyal way. Even they, who would probably kill their own families given the order from the higher echelons, were rather indignant at my having been assigned to w-and-c missions. I completed them, every last one. Then, for whatever reason, I was given a position three pay grades below what I currently have and sent to the province of Aijos."

"Aijos. The province of your birth."

"Damned clever man to distinguish accents so well. I think sometime soon I shall have to interrogate you as to your past, and find out why the hell someone who thinks for themselves ended up in the army. Anyway, my assignment in Aijos was imaginably simple: put down the rebelling local rebels and establish complete order. I did both to the best of my ability: my connections set up all of the necessary killings, and a partner of mine and a brigade of his men carried them out. By the time people caught on, it was too late. For show, I paraded at the head of a column of Corps agents with the head of my maternal grandfather on a pike. Aijos has since experienced little rebellion."

Kenthred says nothing.

"And that particular partner was working here when the demonic attack occurred. Cartouche, you see, has enough problems to worry about already without its people feeling the Gods are against it -- demonic wrath tends to do that sort of thing. So we got the word on it first -- the only man in Selger with a quick communicator being the Lieutenant who now bedevils us. We made a quick decision: our next call would either be to the clergy or to the Lieutenant.

The clergy, as can be clearly seen, would not act for some weeks. The Lieutenant acted right away. Selger would resist for as long as possible. Messengers would be released and gunned down -- anyone who would willingly enter any part of the valley past Selger after the invasion must have been evil or possessed."

"The order then became to eliminate everyone in the valley who leaves the Lieutenant's sight for any protracted amount of time. Easier to kill them all and let God sort them out than let one bad apple slip through."

"You are here to find survivors and leave. I am here to use you, and the entire group, as meat shields while I collect any artifact the demons are after, kill as many of them as possible, seal routes of entry if possible, and then call the Corps magi and hope that some of you get the hell out of the Valley before it gets torched."

"And by 'torched', I mean that this place will be set to firestorm, engulfed in antimagic strong enough to cause a man physical harm and to warp a mage's brain to a vegetative state, and then shot through with any particularly powerful magic we can get our hands on. Then, maybe, we'll spray holy water on the site, call any bodies buried by proper conventions, and forget the Valley of Thunder ever existed."

"What does the Stone of Thunder do?"

"I have not got the foggiest goddamn idea. All I know is that demons want it, and putting it in an isolated fortress far, far away from any human settlement and guarding it with the best antimages we have makes for a better state of things than leaving it here and hoping everything comes out for the best."

--------------------
How come Jesus gets industrial disease?

Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #229
"That doesn't answer my question, though. Why you? Why did they send you, a master sergeant of all ranks and people, to deal with the Valley problem?"

"Simple, simple. Because I spent years working with the Lieutenant. I had him kill my own father with cold blood and clean conscience. I know him like the back of my own hand, and he knows I do. A colonel of the Corps could not possibly threaten the Lieutnenant more in his own domain than I. He won't try and kill me if I don't try and kill him, and if it becomes necessary for me to face him, I'll readily put him down like the mad dog he is."

"A very interesting story, and only every other word a base lie. I think it, if not satisfactory, will at least do for the moment being."

--------------------