What music (if any) are you listening to...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What music (if any) are you listening to...
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #525
Arcblade, you listen to classical!? Yay yay yay! Happy Hanukkah everyone! Yay! I got a CD player woo woo!

I'm listening to a Bach Organ Fantasy in G! :eek: :P

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #526
Happy Hanukkah, Motrax!

I broke the rule and opened up iTunes to listen to music right after clicking this topic. Oh well. "The Scientist" by Coldplay, just because it's relaxing. I don't really like it that much.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #527
She's Leaving by teh Beatles!

Why is it that mediocre words and a mediocre melody can be combined into a really good song (as She's Leaving)?

Bad poem + music = much better poem. Strange.

Try to read the text to any song without listening to the music. Many texts are instantly turned to crap. Not all, of course, but music really makes you forgive a lot of bad texts...
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #528
Stronger - Skillet (Alien Youth)

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #529
Bomfunk MCs, Super Electric (Fu-Tourist Remix)

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #530
Expletives are just plain crude, no matter where they are fit in. Noisy music is no excuse.

I'll go have some tea and crumpets now while I listen to the string quartet my butler hired. :P

(Fugue No. 7 from WTC 2, by Bach)

--------------------
Polaris
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #531
Motrax - Disagree. While most expletives do not sound very good in music at all, "hell" is a clear exception to this, in my opinion.
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #532
"Dishwasher," by "My House"

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #533
KST.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #534
"Silence", by "Nobody Else Being Home",

I think expletives don't ruin music as long as they're not being used specifically to make that song sound "better"... for instance, "Rockin' the Suburbs" by ben Folds Five is a pretty good song in my opinion, but could certainly be improved by taking the focus off cursing in the end of the song. However, several of Third Eye Blind's songs have expletives in them; their newest album is Parental Advisory. I think it's ridiculous that they'd make one of their albums Parental Advisory when it would be much easier not to, but the cursing doesn't ruin the songs at all, really.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #535
I have the exact same opinion on cursing in music as I do on cursing in normal speech: there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, unless it's grossly overused or employed as a weapon to belittle others. Curse words are best used as a method of emphasizing a particular point or phrase. When used in such a manner, they can lend a good deal of color and force to otherwise bland pronouncements. I find Ben Folds Five's use of curse words to be quite original and whimsical. To deny that curse words have their rightful place in language is to be a snobbish prig.

And I'm listening to "Live and Let Die," by Paul McCartney.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #536
I try not to repeat songs that I already mentioned, but sometimes people forget.

Right now I am listening to 4 full albums of Lorrie Morgan.

That's 58 songs total. :P :D

--------------------
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two Corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #537
KST.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #538
I just don't see the point in cursing. It's lost all its sting from very excessive overuse. I see it along the same level as typing "LOL OMG HOW R U!>!?" instead writing "Hey, it's been a while, how're things?" Pointless degredation when other words would suffice.

...If that makes any sense.

(Dvorak's 9th Symphony second movement)

--------------------
Polaris
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #539
Time is... - dc Talk (Free At Last)

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #540
"Wonderwall" by Oasis.

--------------------
The Club of All
Chance Forums
I was once member #2475, but then my account was deleted because of a bug.
Post count=406+whatever it says below.
Apprentice
Member # 3806
Profile #541
Minority, by Greenday

--------------------
Love is what we are born with, fear is what we learned here
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #542
Happy Christmas, The War Is Over - John Lennon

Simply one of the best Christmas songs ever!
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #543
I am currently listening to Khachaturian's Cello Concerto, third movement, being played by

RAPHAEL WALLFISCH

EDIT: Dumb ubb coding errors...

[ Sunday, December 21, 2003 06:23: Message edited by: Sir Motrax of Exile ]

--------------------
Polaris
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #544
People curse under pressure. It's human nature. And music is intended to convey emotions. In certain cases cursing may not work, but in many cases, particularly towards the harder end of rock or in rap, it can be very effective. And provided it's not the focus of the song, I don't think you can say that swearing has no meaning. To say that overuse makes cursing meaningless is like saying that the word 'road' is now meaningless because there are many more than there once were.

Inertiac Esp - The Mars Volta
Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt - The Mars Volta

[ Sunday, December 21, 2003 07:11: Message edited by: Distantly Bemused ]

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #545
I only listen to swearing in music if it is hell or damn. I feel music would be better without the other words. :P :cool:

--------------------
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two Corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #546
quote:
Originally written by Sir Motrax of Exile:

I just don't see the point in cursing. It's lost all its sting from very excessive overuse.
I agree that in terms of insults and the like, conventional speech can often be far more wounding than curse words. For example, if I were to call you a stuffed shirt, or a frump, or a brainless, gutless, spineless jellyfish, it could quite possibly wound you more than calling you a <censored>head would. Conventional speech can also be far more descriptive than a vague curse word can.

However, as I said earlier, I never really use curse words to insult others. Their presence in my vocabulary is largely for the emphasis of certain points in debates or discussions, and for humor. Many forms of humor do utilize curse words quite effectively in garnering laughs.

One's attitude towards cursing in music seems to depend largely upon one's attitude towards cursing in normal speech. I pretty much use curse words when talking with anyone besides my parents and my professors.

And I'm listening to "I'm Only Sleeping," by the Beatles.

P.S. to Ironweed: I would agree that the lyrics to "She's Leaving Home" are not that great, and the melody is rather commonplace compared to some other Beatles songs. I like the song, although it's not one of my favorites. I tend to prefer Lennon's stuff to McCartney's, largely because although both were fine composers of melodies, Lennon's lyrical abilities were far superior to McCartney's. Listen to songs like "Across the Universe" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" and you'll see what I mean.

[ Sunday, December 21, 2003 13:38: Message edited by: Stughalf ]

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #547
Well, I can't honestly say I've listened to enough rap and heavy metal to pass judgement on the effect cursing has upon said genres. I guess swearing's just a pet peeve of mine.

Tchaikovsky's Waltz from Swan Lake, though it was Rach's 10th prelude Op. 23 when I began writing this.

--------------------
Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #548
Do you think any other topic other than possibly those mindless neverending RP's has this many posts? Am I amazing for making this topic? No? Oh well...
I once saw this site and it was a sort of "Make your own rap song" and it was like a fill-in-the-boxes page—it had fields like "Number of 'modda****a' per minute", "Number of brovvas", etc. Of course, it wasn't real, but it really funny.
I'm not listening to anything as I'm in the library again, which isn't very quiet: there's beeps from the checkout and hums from the automatic door which keeps opening and shutting, possibly because of the large Christmas tree just outside it. Well, it was. It's not now—I just checked.
And does anyone know how to post em dashes and o slashes on a PC? (pm me)

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #549
I tend to agree with Motrax on cursing. It has lost a lot of its effectiveness through overuse. And humour reliant on vulgar words never attracted me.

Sibelius' Symphony No 2, first movement, performed by the Berlin Philharmonic, conducted by Vladimir Ashkenazy. *swoon*

--------------------
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant fins the slumbering green.

Pages