What music (if any) are you listening to...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What music (if any) are you listening to...
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #400
tlc today

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #401
"Spiders", System of a Down.

--------------------
Professor Frost gives me ideas.
Professor Frost has many an eye.
Professor Frost always foils my plans.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #402
Various classical pieces. I'm moody.

--------------------
Ah! My Homepage - In Finnish and English
Geneforge - The Maps
My Elfwood Gallery - Stories I've written in english
The WALL - Forums in Finnish
Waiting for medication. I could really use some.
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #403
"Revolution" by P.O.D.

--------------------
The Club of All
Chance Forums
I was once member #2475, but then my account was deleted because of a bug.
Post count=406+whatever it says below.
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #404
I've come to the conclusion that people listen for different things in music (duh...). You can't listen to rap the same way you listen to classical, just as you can't listen to 60's rock like you listen to metal.

To truly experience what classical music is about, you have to be willing to let the music take over your emotions. When the music is sad, you become sad. When the music is exultant, you too become overjoyed. It's certainly not a pleasant experience sometimes - listening to some pieces can make you rather despairing, but it brings an acuteness and clarity of emotion that's rather unique to classical. It's not easy to get into this state of being "one with the music" but it's certainly worth it once you break past what you thought was the limit of raw feelings.

[/internet philosopher]

And of course, not every classical piece is any good. Like with any genre, there are quite a few terrible melodies to listen to, and a good share of awful composers.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #405
Never Let You Go by Third Eye Blind, my favorite band.

All I know is I can't listen to All Star, Never Let You Go, or Semi-Charmed Life without feeling really happy afterwards.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #406
Mahler's Symphony No. 3 in D minor.

quote:
Originally written by Sir Motrax of Exile:

Internet philosophizing
Which is perhaps why I like the Romantics so much - raw emotional sometimes-not-so-subtle manipulation. Movie soundtracks are also much the same in that respect. Classical, Modern, Baroque, etc all have their high points, as do the more modern mainstream musical styles, but it's the Romantics for me. Grieg, Mahler, Verdi, Tchaikovsky. No music evokes so much feeling in me as Sibelius' symphonies.

--------------------
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant fins the slumbering green.
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #407
The Beginning - Lifehouse

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Apprentice
Member # 1820
Profile #408
quote:
Originally written by Khoth:

And Riibu, are you undead or something? Feeling alive isn't a bad thing. :)
Thats certainly a subjective statement.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #409
quote:
Originally written by premonition:

Mahler's Symphony No. 3 in D minor.

quote:
Originally written by Sir Motrax of Exile:

Internet philosophizing
Which is perhaps why I like the Romantics so much - raw emotional sometimes-not-so-subtle manipulation. Movie soundtracks are also much the same in that respect. Classical, Modern, Baroque, etc all have their high points, as do the more modern mainstream musical styles, but it's the Romantics for me. Grieg, Mahler, Verdi, Tchaikovsky. No music evokes so much feeling in me as Sibelius' symphonies.

<3 <3 <3

I happen to despise baroque, tolerate classical, mutter at neo-classical, but love romantics.

At least that's when I'm looking for orchestrals, anyway. I have a soft spot for much rock :P

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #410
Heh. I just don't understand classical music the way some of you obviously do. Those pieces I've heard just don't affect my feelings in any way (well, not much anyway). I can imagine the composer must have had some deep feelings while composing the piece, but that's all. I just can't interpret them. It's a bit sad, really, if what you say is true. So much to experience...

Well, at least there are always many, many other good non-classical pieces. :)

EDIT: And of course many good books as Riibu(?) mentioned. That's a form of art that even I can understand and enjoy to the fullest.

[ Saturday, December 13, 2003 05:24: Message edited by: Ironweed ]
Warrior
Member # 1376
Profile #411
Is it just me, or is this the most useless, as well as the most popular, topic? :P

At the moment, Linkin Park, "Breaking the Habit"...
Getting ready for the LinkinPark/P.O.D./Hoobastank/Story of the Year Concert on January 16th!!!!!! Only 809 hrs, 42 minutes left!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! (rough estimate) :)

--------------------
"Never think twice about something if the first time you thought about it you thought you were thinking about it twice when really it was just once, and never think about something once unless there's money involved."
--The Mad Hatter's Deceaced Wife
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #412
Is it just me, or does no one really care?

'Psycho', SoaD.

--------------------
Professor Frost gives me ideas.
Professor Frost has many an eye.
Professor Frost always foils my plans.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #413
Motrax, your claim that people listening to classical music are listening for different things is daft.

Classical music and heavy metal can both change emotions and indeed they work on mostly the same principles. They may sound completely different, although that's not always the case, but they have a lot in common. Neither is better from the other, just a little different.

The Stone Roses, Tightrope

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #414
EDIT: (I began posting, ate lunch, finished posting, and didn't see BtI's post) Bob, I haven't said anything about other music, other than the fact that every genre is different. I didn't say other music can't affect your emotions. Do you really feel the need to insult me? Lighten up! Be happy!

Beethoven's 3rd Symphony, second movement.

Ironweed, I would defeinitely say Classical Music is an acquired taste, sort of like wine. I haven't always liked classical - at one point, I listened to Alternative. But I guess playing classical piano for 12 years sort of grew on me, and I began listening to classical more and more. Part of "understanding" classical is willing yourself to enjoy it, which was pretty tough for me at first.

I used to detest opera. Now I'm listening to Act 2 of Wagner's Siegfried and enjoying it. I've also grown much more tolerant of post-romantic music. Khachaturian's Cello Concerto is one of my favorite pieces now, but I would probably have thrown a brick at my speakers had it been playing last year.

For the most part, I cannot stand "noisy" music. Some of Tchaikovky's composition falls under that category, most notably "Mazurka" and "Wedding Dance" from Swan Lake. Most of what they play at www.classical1035.com also falls under this category (not to mention the fact that they have more commercials than music, interrupt their music to say "this is classical 103.5!!!!!", play only the worst of the best, the best of the worst, and the worst of the worst, have terrible announcers (one of whom compares Debussy to a hamburger), and and and...).

I also dislike contemporary music for the most part (Arcana, by Varese, is a prime example of what I absolutely despise).

www.wbjc.com generally plays the kind of music I enjoy. Unfortunately, they don't catch as well as other stations.

As for Baroque music, you do have to listen to it differently than Romantic. It certainly isn't nearly as emotional as the subsequent periods, but it does have it's charms. It's very easy to sing along to, because chord progressions are always at their most basic form. That's what I listen to when I work, for the most part, because it doesn't require the sort of intent rapture that makes other Classical a real joy for me to listen to.

[ Saturday, December 13, 2003 11:02: Message edited by: Sir Motrax of Exile ]

--------------------
Polaris
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #415
Classical music has never really drawn me in, although I've been exposed to a good deal of it. My older sister is a long-time violin player, and throughout my childhood I was exposed to her constant practicing in the house, as well as the numberless concerts of hers that I was dragged off to. Unfortunately, I was never truly able to enjoy or appreciate any of it. One of my closest friends is a fine piano player and a connossieur of classical music, so I still listen to it regularly. However, I've just never been able to pay attention to it or absorb it at all, as my pitiful abilities of concentration fail me every time. I can only recall two pieces that I was able to pay attention to long enough for them to appeal to me: "Mars" and Khachaturian's "Sabre Dance."

Although I have nothing against classical music itself, as it's at least pleasant background music most of the time, I do somewhat despise some of its fans, especially the older ones. They are horribly elitist, get infuriated at the slightest noises at their precious concerts, and shout out "Bravo" as a form of applause instead of the far more natural high-pitched screaming found in many other concerts. For many of the same reasons, I have a mild dislike for those who frequent art museums. Unspeakably elitist folk, many of them. The majority of art in museums is horrendously overrated, in my opinion, which is why I vastly prefer natural history museums and zoos. But then again, I'm a biology person, not an art person, so I guess it makes sense.

And I'm listening to "I'm So Tired" by the Beatles.

[ Saturday, December 13, 2003 12:11: Message edited by: Stughalf ]

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #416
Eh, you have a point over baroque. My biggest pet peeve is people singing along to music, though, and the repetitive, simplistic nature of baroque tends to intensely annoy me.

Riot Gear, Five Iron Frenzy.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #417
I have nothing against classical music, except opera, which annoys me for reasons I can't fathom.

And since I'm not fantastically keen on instrumentals, that means I tend only to listen to classical when it's on the radio when my mother gives me a lift to school. Plus, I'd say there's a lot to be said for if not noisy, then chaotic music. Each to their own, I suppose.

The Gunner's Dream, Pink Floyd.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #418
I can't stand noisy or chaotic music... I hate all the screaming and heavy chords in heavy metal, and I detest that classical music that seems to be a bunch of random notes thrown together and lamely ended off with some kind of long note... oh well. The only emotion those inspire in me is anger, and that's anger at whoever wrote the song, not the world or whatever.

EDIT: Listening to Seven Nation Army, just because I was wondering what it was and why it's on my computer.

[ Saturday, December 13, 2003 14:13: Message edited by: Sir David ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #419
Its over - Audio Adrenaline

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3073
Profile Homepage #420
We Want Fun, Andrew W.K.

--------------------
"It's cool to be a robot." Scud

"Half human, half robot, all Sicilian." Tony Tastey

"|||| ||| |||| ||| ||| |||||?!? Drywall

"I'm calm.....GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME." Don Vito
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #421
D'yer Mak'er, Zep. Then Not Now John, PF. Good times.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #422
I sing only when I'm alone. My voice is pretty terrible (but getting better, I hope!), but I enjoy singing when it doesn't bug others.

Brahms' second piano concerto, 4th movement.

--------------------
Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #423
Berlioz, Benvenuto Cellini, Act 1 Scene 13.

quote:
Originally written by Stughalf:

Although I have nothing against classical music itself, as it's at least pleasant background music most of the time, I do somewhat despise some of its fans, especially the older ones. They are horribly elitist, get infuriated at the slightest noises at their precious concerts, and shout out "Bravo" as a form of applause instead of the far more natural high-pitched screaming found in many other concerts.
Heh. Everyone's there to listen to the music, not to hear others talk. There was one concert I went to, where they were playing something by Peter Sculthorpe (contemporary Aussie composer, one of the better ones) that was very atmospheric. There is a very very quiet bit, where the violin bows just whisper over the strings, the sound shimmers in the air with crystalline delicacy, the slightest breath can be heard... and some lady drops her handbag! You have no idea how loud that bang was - it echoed throughout the entire concert hall. Woke everyone up :D .

--------------------
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant fins the slumbering green.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #424
All the more reason not to make such ridiculously fragile music. If classical composers were architects, half of them would be out of a job... although given the state of "modern" architecture, I'm not even so sure about that any more.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington

Pages