How Did You Find Spiderweb?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: How Did You Find Spiderweb?
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #0
We all found this company, it's boards, and the games some how or another, so what's your story? How did you stumble upon Spiderweb Software, it's wonderous gifts, and this den of insanity?

Personally, I found Geneforge I and II via Real Arcade. I noticed the name of the company on the screen, and eventually decided to check it out. From there, I continued on to play the Avernum games, Geneforge III, Avernum IV, and Geneforge IV. It's been a good, fun time.

--------------------
I don't need no stinking signature.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #1
I got a Nethergate demo with an issue of PC Gamer back in 1999. It wasn't til 2 years 3 years later that I went to Spiderweb's site and found the Avernum series. In the fall of 2005, I was replaying Nethergate and got stuck. While searching for hints I found this board, and the rest is history.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #2
Someone had installed the Avernum 2 demo on the school computers at primary school and I happened to stumble across it while avioding work. I was imediatly sucked into it and have been a big fan of spiderweb ever since.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
I found it in one of those 1000 game demo CD-ROMs. It took some work to get the games to load and install, but that's the disk's problem.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #4
I was around 6-8 years old when I looked at this CD with a lot of demos.

I found Exile III, and I played it. I saw the editor and maxed out my stats (I was very young. And stupid.)

I played through it, I don't remember much since I was too young, stupid, and with barely a memory.

A few years later (Year 2005 I think) I saw my brother looking at something called Avernum 3. He said that is was a remake of Exile III.

Since I was starting to become unstupid, I noticed the Spiderweb logo. One day I went to the website. I eventually clicked on the "forums" button (I think it was in January 2007). I got so exited. Then on Febuary 4th, I got an email address. I immediatly registerd.

I soon deposited my sanity and finally completely left my stupid self behind. Yay!

--------------------
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
I like this image
FYI, Iffy is short for Infernal Flamming Muffin.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
Trick question. You don't find Spiderweb, Spiderweb finds you.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
I found the Avernum 2 demo on a MacAddict CD, eventually registered it, and played it a squillion times. Eventually I bought G1, G2, and BoA.

Then, one day, while Dikiyoba was checking for any new scenario or game releases, Dikiyoba decided to look at the forums to see what people could possibly have to say about the games all the time. Well! It turns out that unsellable trowels were just the beginning.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #7
quote:
I found it in one of those 1000 game demo CD-ROMs. It took some work to get the games to load and install, but that's the disk's problem.
That is exactly what Nalyd did. Spooky.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Sarcasmon:

Trick question. You don't find Spiderweb, Spiderweb finds you.
So then, how exactly did Spiderweb find you?

[ Saturday, September 15, 2007 17:10: Message edited by: Billy Bob Joe with an Afroking ]

--------------------
I don't need no stinking signature.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
http://pied-piper.ermarian.net/topic/2/350

It's funny how this post shrinks every time I post it...

--------------------
The Noble and Most Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Warrior
Member # 577
Profile Homepage #10
In 1999, I bought a CD full of shareware games, one of them being Exile III. The rest is history. :D

--------------------
Please visit my website: http://geocities.com/dchia1010

my forums: http://freechat.tk
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #11
I first played Exile when I was 7 or 8. Then for boredoms sake I randomly guessed Spiderwebs web address.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #12
A fluffy turtle ate part of my sanity one day. I pursued it to get my sanity back, and it lead me here.

Actually, I got A3 from CNet and loved it. Purchased that game, then located the site, where they had the prequels and the upcoming game Blades of Avernum. Eventually, I decided to visit the forums, and watched it for a while before joining. Then, in late '06, I did.

I prefer the fictional version, though.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #13
Well..did you get your sanity back from the fluffy turtle?

I found this board when I typed insanity in Google Search..also..a shareware CD I had..has a Exile II demo..and the rest..shall I say..is history..

--------------------
Humans fight to enter insanity.
Are you Evil?
Apprentice
Member # 10041
Profile #14
I found Exile 3 on this Cd with a whole bunch of demos, and it turns out, it was the ONLY one worth play on that whole thing. Heh, that and this game where you're a clown and you have to avoid obstacles.

But overall, I enjoyed Exile 3 MUCH more because, to me, back then, it was an insanely long demo.

Didn't have the internet either, and was playing it on a computer with 45 mb's of ram AND the sound didn't work on it.

:D

I stumbled across Avernum 2 on some website, came here, looks around, found Exile 3 again, played that, bought it.

;)
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Azuma:

Well..did you get your sanity back from the fluffy turtle?
Of course not! Once a turtle gets your sanity, you can't get it back. That, and giving said sanity to the fluffy turtles is a requirement upon entering these boards.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #16
We (my brother and I) were surfing the web about 11 or 12 years ago, on our awesome new Apple Centris 650, and were stunned by the glory of AOL 3.0
Back when AOL was cool, they had links to games that were not their own lame arcade crap things. We were intrigued by Exile 1 and spent a considerable amount of time downloading it on the old 14400 modem. Exile turned out to be cool, so we got Exile 2 later, and spent eventually spent hours downloading Exile 3 when it came out. Yay.

I don't remember why I came to the forums.

In other awesome news, I just got back from an MCFrontalot concert. Yay!

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #17
I listened to part of that concert. It sounded excellent. I especially liked how there was a lot of drunken swearing.

That was cool.

:D

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Apprentice
Member # 10435
Profile #18
I found Exile 1 on some demo CD, liked it(even though I died pretty often), a couple of years later I remembered some game called Exile, searched for it and found Spiderweb, then not so long ago I tried clicking on the button called forums.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Wednesday, September 12 2007 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6714
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Iffy will bring you happiness.:

I was around 6-8 years old when I looked at this CD with a lot of demos.

I found Exile III, and I played it. I saw the editor and maxed out my stats (I was very young. And stupid.)

I played through it, I don't remember much since I was too young, stupid, and with barely a memory.

A few years later (Year 2005 I think) I saw my brother looking at something called Avernum 3. He said that is was a remake of Exile III.

Since I was starting to become unstupid, I noticed the Spiderweb logo. One day I went to the website. I eventually clicked on the "forums" button (I think it was in January 2007). I got so exited. Then on Febuary 4th, I got an email address. I immediatly registerd.

I soon deposited my sanity and finally completely left my stupid self behind. Yay!

You were not stupid, Iffy. You were just younger. Sheesh.

Anyway, I found Spiderweb Software first, as Iffy's story here can tell you.

--------------------
Well that signature was out of date, since I've not been here in forever.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
I heard about E1 from an acquaintance. A month or two later I also found Exile on a CD packed with demos and bad shareware.

—Alorael, who really thinks Aran didn't quite pick the right link this time. It's interesting, but it's also irrelevant spam. This is an official warning.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #21
When I was about 6 or 7 and the internet was still a new thing to me, AOL had a "Kid's Only" sort of web channel. The channel had a link to hundreds of freeware/shareware games you could download from Platformers to RPGs. I remember downloading Exile 1 and 2 and loving both of them (they actually had the original cave graphics.) In 1998, I begged my dad to register Exile 2 for me and he eventually buckled and ordered the registration code. I found the forums a few months later and stuck around the Hints board.

EDIT:
I remember using the Shyguy avatar.

[ Sunday, September 16, 2007 09:56: Message edited by: Enraged Slith ]

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website

Look out, there's a three-headed monkey behind you!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #22
Long long ago, when the world was a much better place, I ate a piece of cake, but that's got nothing to do with this thread.

So anyway, I used to look around on these websites that got all these links to demos of Mac shareware games and game demos, and amongst these I found Avernum 3. I started playing it, and, like you all probably did, I clicked the "register" button to try and see if I could enter the right registration code (I failed), when I noticed the long story about how to purchase the game. Amongst these methods I saw the spiderweb URL, so i checked that out. I downloaded the other demos, including BoA. Then I started designing a bit. However, as I was a complete failure at that, I asked Jeff for some help, who referred me to the boards.

That's it, I guess. Now you'll have to put up with me.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

I found the Avernum 2 demo on a MacAddict CD,
Yup. Same here... begged parents to register it, and eventually they caved. I was absolutely desperate to get back out of vahnatai lands and resume my many quests.

Then A3 came out, and I might've just outright bought it... can't remember. Either way, I can't find my first post, because the PPP archives don't have anything from the most ancient A3 forum.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #24
I found it through some Mac shareware discs and followed it in a while later.

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone

Pages