How Did You Find Spiderweb?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: How Did You Find Spiderweb?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #25
I got a letter from Seattle with a registration code and key, and the suggestion to visit their interweb place. I never did that until I 1999, when I was quickly dismayed to find that the forum was full of people like Drakefyre who frowned upon the suggestion that shareware ought to be freeware. Fast forward a few years and I visited again, reading about Blades of Avernum, and then registered so I could start asking stupid questions and giving suspect advice.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Warrior
Member # 6923
Profile Homepage #26
Somehow I stumbled on to Avernum 1. It hurt.
I just haven't bothered getting up since then.

--------------------
"There are no turtles anywhere" Ponder Stibbons
One, Two, Three, Pfhor, Five…
Avernum 2 AM Status
- Maps - Tomb of Dahris-Bok
- Annotation - Fort Draco/Ganrick Spider/Areana Caves
I lick this mage
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #27
I found Exile 3 on a rather dodgy shareware disk that happened to appear in my house - I swear nobody knows how it appeared.

Anyway, I played the demo to death, went back to the said dodgy CD, and also found the demo of Nethergate. So I played the demo for that for about a month before I pointed my browser to this site, and bought E3.

I didn't come to the forums for a while after that, but I registered on my first day of visiting.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #28
When I bought my first computer (I think 1998, but I'm not sure anymore), I also bought a CD with a bunch of shareware games on it. Two of these were BoE and E3. I first installed BoE (the first one I found) and played the "Valley of Dying Things" scenario until I had it nearly memorized. Later that year, I went back to the CD and installed E3, then played it until I could do just about everything in the demo by around day 30.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Warrior
Member # 6096
Profile Homepage #29
I downloaded the first Exile games from Mac software Hyperarchive, and with them came an advertisement about the website. It was around 1997-8. I think.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #30
I had found Exile II while looking for shareware RPGs (on AOL games, if I remember correctly). Later I also found Exile III and BoE, then lost sight of the company for some time, until I was bored at work in the summer of 2001 and found that Spidweb now had forums, full of entertaining things like "Exile, News at 11" thread, and Drakey and TM giving each other Black Marks.

PS Finding these boards in 1998 or 99 is a miraculous accomplishment, considering that Spidweb didn't have official boards until spring 2001. :P

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #31
Found E2 on a shareware disk.
Finally played it several years later.
Fell in love with it.
Played it to death.
Got an internet connection at home two years later.
Went online to find out the rest of the story.
Discovered Spiderweb homepage.
Discovered Exile Trilogy and BoE. Downloaded demos. Played them to death. Began to save up to buy them.
Randomly checked Spiderweb homepage again. Discovered Geneforge. Wasn't too interested. Discovered Avernum Trilogy. Downloaded and played to death.
Went back, to check prices. Discovered the recent Mac release of BoA.
Fast-forward to following September. Finally geting broadband, bought Avernum trilogy and BoA.
Discovered forums while researching which custom scenarios to get.
Experimented with BoA Editor. Younger brother and I thought we might be able to write a scenario or two. We joined the forums some time later, after coming up with a few concepts.
Life has since caught up with both of us. :)
But somehow, I'm still here.
Go figure.
E/A2 is still my favorite.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin figures.
Now go.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #32
A random Sharewear disk had Exile and Exile II on it. I took to Exile II like flys to take to dung and soon then after found Spidweb and Exile III. In that time it was the older forms with avatars and what not.

--------------------
Rahhar...
Apprentice
Member # 7374
Profile #33
I, too, found Exile 1/2 on one of those 1000 games CDs. Were the only games on the CD worth playing lol. :cool:
Warrior
Member # 961
Profile #34
AOL. Macgames roleplaying area. Along with Fantasoft. Realmz. Many many years ago. In a galaxy far far away. ;) Ok...like about ten years ago. Which is many many years ago.

--------------------
Hey, where are we going? And what's with the handbasket?
Shock Trooper
Member # 1829
Profile #35
The word was brought unto me by a so called "Demo Disk" presumably unaware of it's divine contents, for from within it shone out to me with the actually rather disappointing light of luminous cave fungi! Thus the word of Exile (and through it Spiderweb) became known to this humble poultry. Alas I was but a chick in those days, and my memory was best described as non-existent, so the word was promptly forgotten for the upcoming years.

Some years later as I became a Gallus Gallus Telecomnicus, I remembered the word, and visited it's holy ground, and registered for worship. Since that time I have been behaving much like any chicken would, mostly I peck and scratch and don't do much, unless my pecking and scratching finds a particularly juicy worm.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #36
Found Exile 3 on a sharewere disk. Played it, died a lot. Got better at it, pestered for permission to get the full version (was only 11 at the time) and got it. Lost it again for a while then found it again. Bought the disk for BoE and got the demos of most of the other games with it. Repeat until today.

--------------------
First person to call me a mercenary gets necromatized.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #37
I swung a pendulum over the internet, and just followed the line of its swing until I got here. It worked for Professor Calculus, and it worked for me.

If I had happened to go in the opposite direction, where would I be? What is the internet antipodes of Spiderweb?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

What is the internet antipodes of Spiderweb?
Um... duh.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #39
*Retch*

[/Spiderweb fanboy]

[ Wednesday, September 19, 2007 13:37: Message edited by: Thoughts in Chaos ]

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written by Thoughts in Chaos:

*Retch*

[/Spiderweb fanboy]

"Fanboy" is never a good thing to be termed, even if it is by yourself...
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #41
*Sigh*

Joking, Nioca, joking.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #42
...Maybe I could somehow exploit the inexplicable confusion my moniker creates. I mean, since certain members keep thinking other members are me, maybe I could use it to my own advantage.

The only question is: would it work in reverse?

IMAGE(http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/devil.gif)

[ Thursday, September 20, 2007 16:13: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #43
I stumbled unto Avernum 3 at macgamefiles.com, and guesing from the logo I found the website, and bought A3 then G1 A1 G2 A2 then the majestic, glorious G4!!!!

Ahem... I apologize for that outburst.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #44
Originally by Nioca:

quote:
Why oh why would you want to be mistaken for Nikki? :P

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
BANNED
Member # 10021
Profile #45
I found Geneforge 1 and 2 on Realarcade. Some point int time my girlfriend metioned something about spiweb.com and realizing Realarcade was giving me viruses I went to spidweb.com and insanely regained my sanity.

--------------------
When I close my eyes at night I see David Bowie.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Originally by Nioca:

quote:
Why oh why would you want to be mistaken for Nikki? :P

Dikiyoba.

Not just Nikki. Nicothodes, Nalyd, and I think someone confused me for another 'N' name once. But think of the possibilities! I could post something, and have everyone react to the wrong person!

Of course, it would have a massive tendency to backfire, and most people would figure out the ruse fairly quickly.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Apprentice
Member # 8411
Profile #47
I found the exile demo trilogy on a Games 1000 demo disk that I got packaged with an old civil war game during the mid 90's.
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #48
I can't remember the details but I think it was when I got Exile from a CD with a bunch of Fantasoft games on it. Didn't Fantasoft and Spiderweb used to one company? Whatever happened to Fantasoft anyway?
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #49
I remeber fantasoft! I was such a big Realmz fan. I remember it was always funner to kill the orcs with the town army then to go after to goblins in a suicide run. Besides, the orcs seemed hard. I just wish that my guys could have fought on horse back.

--------------------
Rahhar...

Pages