Hurricane Katrina

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Hurricane Katrina
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #0
A satellite image of Hurricane Katrina.

A Wikipedia-article concerning Hurricane Katrina.

I offer my condolences to all who is affected by the hurricane.

Amazingly, the Wikipedia-article was written already yesterday - only a few hours after the disaster begun.

[ Tuesday, August 30, 2005 09:13: Message edited by: Demeritorious ]
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by Demeritorious:

I offer my condolences to all who is affected by the hurricane.

Hmm. I hope no-one here loses their homes or family/friends.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #2
Wow. Wikipedia updates curent events pretty fast. I hear that well over 100 people have been killed by Hurricane Katrina and most likely that number would get much higher.

I also offer condolences to all those affected by the huuricane. I have a college friend who goes to Xavier in New Orleans and I hope to get a call back from her soon to see if she's okay.

Now, if Katrina were a Category 5 hurricane and it made a direct hit to New Orleans...don't even want to think how much worse that would be...

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #3
Sorry for the gallows humor, but [*deleted*]

(Not seriously. Forgive me. I'll delete it if anyone's offended.)

[ Wednesday, August 31, 2005 08:34: Message edited by: Chief Spider watching The Simpsons ]

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #4
I think that is rather offensive - New Orleans isn't all Bourbon Street, you know. That's like saying "I wouldn't mind if [where you live] got wiped off the map."
BANNED
Member # 6074
Profile #5
My condolences

--------------------
---------------------------------
Live long and prosper.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #6
It has hit New Orleans. Due to three breaches in the levee system 80% of the city are reported to be literally under water. Most of the shelters had to be evacuated. This could well be the worst catastrophe your nation has ever had to go through.

--------------------
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 37
Profile #7
Fortunately, we in central Tennessee were spared all save some 40-50mph winds early in the morning. No power out, no internet out. All's well.

My condolences, like many others, to those less fortunate.

--------------------
{Tempus} jack thompson? ppl actually admire that freak?
{@Fanateeq72802} Not everyone disagrees with him.
{+iris} Someone should send him a few of the more steamy Japanese dating sim games. His head would explode.
{@Fanateeq72802} And I'd laugh. Hard.
{Tempus} im on it. brb
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #8
Darn. No even aftereffects of the hurricane for us. Monatana is so safe.

It doesn't seem as we have had any members affected, however. Of course, they wouldn't be posting here, but I sure hope our whole Spiderweb community is safe.

Also, my condolences (traditional word by now I suppose) to everyone that was affected.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #9
My sister has a very close friend whose home was destroyed and has been forced to move to Texas.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #10
My thoughts are with anyone who has been affected.

--------------------
Everybody knows, but nobody understands.

Thus endeth this post.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #11
It seems to me (from all those pictures) it's more of a flood than an hurricane. In which part of the Gulf did it start?

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #12
The hurricane started (like all hurricanes) in that part of the gulf known as the Atlantic Ocean. Furthermore, the origins can be traced back to the monsoons which sweep from the Indian Ocean off the eastern African coast up to the northeast (india,malyasia, etc) and the resultant weather patterns over the African continent.

One major predictor used by the NWS for the general character of the hurricane season is the character of the monsoon season. In any case, this one travelled the width of the Atlantic before skipping across the tip of Florida and then into the Gulf.

Sea temperature plays a huge role in the strength (but not frequency) of hurricanes, which is one reason it went from a mild Category 1 while over the Atlantic to the awe inspiring Category 5 in its short time over the Gulf. Global warming/cooling doesn't seem to affect hurricane strength, and the jury is still out on how it affects frequency.

*this message sponsored by NOAA*
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #13
Actually, on NBC Nightly News, it said that the hurricane originated in the Bahamas area, and moved west through the gulf and finally up. Because of the slightly warmer-than-average water temperatures, it gained power very quickly. This contradicts the usual starting point which is near the equator near Africa.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #14
Well of course Something Awful's central servers had to lie right in the middle of New Orleans... Luckily they are on the ninth floor, so the data is preserved.

Now THAT'S empathy.

On a more serious note, sorry this had to happen to you guys, my condolences, and I truly hope that at least some of that beautiful city New Orleans is preserved, and that he estimated death rate is wrong.

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #15
Turns out Katrina is a creation of Bush and his Christian Coalition. Thanks, guys, for destroying New Orleans. Bush obviously wants anarchy among all those immigrants.

Seriously, I'd be sick to death of Germans if it weren't for the fact that the rhetoric here in America, or at least New York, is just as bad, just quieter. I won't turn horror into hatred, though; Katrina's victims have my deep sympathies, and my prayers. Maybe this disaster could have been averted, maybe not; maybe it was just waiting to happen, and they've simply been fortunate enough to dodge the bullet all these years. Please, though, let us mourn for the victims and help them rebuild before pointing fingers. I think the mother whose child was torn off the roof by the Herculean tide and the man whose entire family and his home, the lion's share of his life, were washed into the sea, I think they have more to worry about than the gas consumption of their former neighbor's family car.

Mother Nature's a bitch sometimes, and we can only hope to avoid her wrath. If anything good can come of this, let it be a practical lesson for the future. If such a tragedy occurs again, as it inevitably will, may the bloated bodies and splintered wood of the summer of 2005 lead us to better methods of building, stronger precautions, more effective evacuation techniques. Nature has taken its toll, but, God willing, the toll will never again be so high.

[ Thursday, September 01, 2005 13:35: Message edited by: Lady Davida ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #16
I really don't think they'll be planning on trying to rebuilt New Orleans, as it was below sea level and all. That city had a lot of tradition and it's sad to see it literally become just a faded memory in the sands of time...

I was planning on going to New Orleans too during spring break (for obvious reasons that would be too inappropriate to mention here). Oh well. Time to plan ahead to another vacation spot.

[ Thursday, September 01, 2005 13:37: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #17
It is extremely disturbing how quickly it is falling apart down there...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #18
I also offer my condolences to any affected by the hurricane. Nobody deserves to receive that much of nature's wrath.

I'm just glad that nothing made it even close to my college. Yay for Missouri...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #19
I would like to redirect you all to the rather touching piece of writing by one of the SomethingAwful.com aministrators.

http://www.somethingawful.com/

quote:
The heroes are the men and women on the scene doing their utmost to help those in need. Coast Guard rescue workers plucking people to safety and Red Cross workers feeding people from emergency kitchens are heroes. The man who commandeered a bus and got people out of New Orleans when the government was woefully impotent is a hero. The woman who smashed the glass on a convenience store to loot bottled water for fifteen kids who should have been absolutely inundated with supplies by then is a hero. The doctors and nurses hand-bagging ventilator patients 24 hours a day in dark hospitals are heroes.
This man speaks the truth.

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #20
Though people are looting food and water, they really shouldn't be arrested for it. I know it's a crime to do such things, but those people have nothing to eat and drink and they're just doing whatever they can to just keep their families alive. It's sort of a mixed feeling.

I have read so many articles on this whole disaster and just about every news channel I turn on, it talks about how fast it's falling apart near the New Orleans area and surrounding areas affected by Katrina. It's sad to see so many people suffer from a disaster that they're not responsible for. The Superdome has stenches of human urine and feces that becomes unbearable for anyone. There are dead people outside of the dome and babies sleeping on human urine. People can't use any power or any kind of indoor plumbing whatsoever. They are forced to live uncivilized, like animals. It truly is the greatest disaster that the United States has faced since 9/11.

Although 9/11 was terrible in its own right, Hurricane Katrina affected a greater amount of damage. Not only did people lose their homes, they have forever lost their way of life as well.

May God be with them...

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6268
Profile #21
I'm probably the only person here from Louisiana. From a small town called Baton Rouge. Ever heard of it? It's only the capital. Well anyway, in Baton Rouge it was very quiet. We've had worse thunderstorms thatn that (maybe with less wind though). The problem for New Orleans is that it happens to be below the level of the sea. Or the lake it's next to for that matter. So actually the trouble came right after the Hurricane when all the water started pouring into "the bowl."
I sympathise with many of the families who have lost their homes and such, but there is one thing I DISLIKE: in some parishes (i.e. counties) near the coast, about one fifth of the population refused to leave. Also, in New Orleans, although there was a mandatory evacuation, some people didn't leave. This is not only endangering your own life, but the lives of the rescue workers.
Finally, they will rebuild New Orleans. It's only the Jazz Capital of the World and one of the biggest ports and tourist centers in the US.

--------------------
Un ronron ronchonne, un ronfleur ronfle.
Un rongeur ronge, un roi règne, une orange roule.
Ça c'est la réalité.
Mais si le ronchon ronge, le ronfleur ronchonne,
Le roi roule, le rongeur règne
Et l'orange ronfle,
Ça c'est une autre histoire.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #22
I think people should know Baton Rogue as it's one of the towns that news channels around the country have been consistently mentioning about like every half hour. :)

Speaking of "the bowl", the leeves were only meant to withstand a Category 3 hurricane and since New Orleans was below sea level, it was obvious that the city was going to go down with Katrina.

People should of taken Katrina more seriously and I'm surprised that it took about 4 days before any significant help arrived.

Of course, many of the citizens of New Orleans didn't have the proper transportation to get out of the city in the first place.

This goes to show you that the United States really needs to work on a mass transit system. England has a big one, and so does France. Why not the United States?

Edit: Minor typos

[ Saturday, September 03, 2005 10:15: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6268
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Jeros:

I think people should know Baton Rogue as it's one of the towns that news channels around the country have been consistently mentioning about like every half hour. :)

Yeah, but that's after a disaster struck us.

--------------------
Un ronron ronchonne, un ronfleur ronfle.
Un rongeur ronge, un roi règne, une orange roule.
Ça c'est la réalité.
Mais si le ronchon ronge, le ronfleur ronchonne,
Le roi roule, le rongeur règne
Et l'orange ronfle,
Ça c'est une autre histoire.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #24
We don't have a mass-transit system because our country is massive. France is roughly the size of Texas. We do have Amtrak, and almost all cities have their own mass-transit systems that connect to the downtown and suburb areas.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00

Pages