Hurricane Katrina

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Hurricane Katrina
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #75
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

quote:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

I'm not so sure that the founding fathers meant relief from natural disasters within the domestic tranquility clause. I read that as the responsibility to maintain interstate harmony. How have the courts interpreted it?
If you had instead emboldened the general Welfare phrase, I think you make a better case. I admit the welfare of the the affected states has trended downwards over the past week, but my initial statements on self-sufficency and self reliance still stand.

*this message sponsored by wesco boot company*
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #76
quote:
Go break into a grocery (if you can find one that doesn't already have an open door) and take some canned goods. Then eat. No water? Build a fire and boil some water for drinking. I recommend letting it cool a bit before drinking.
I somehow doubt my ability to swim around and dive for provisions, not saying that I wouldn't try. I wouldn't recommend boiling water, not in a flooded city with industry. Sure you get rid of some germs, but considering the mixture of chemicals, of household and industrial waste in the water, you might just as easily make things worse, not better.

--------------------
Polaris
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #77
Corruption is another big factor in this mess. From what I understand, Bush appointed a failed horse farmer to run FEMA. A man with no emergency management experience at all except for his political connections.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #78
quote:
Originally written by I'll Steal Your Toast:

Corruption is another big factor in this mess. From what I understand, Bush appointed a failed horse farmer to run FEMA. A man with no emergency management experience at all except for his political connections.
In other words, a fitting representative of all the administration stands for. <_<

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #79
Article
Read this article. So this clown, this unimaginable clown had all the rescue teams there, able and willing to start their work right away, but he needed a 1000 more employees for matters of coordination and PR. These employees could not arrive before late Wednesday, because they first had to undergo a special training to enable them to work in desaster zones. What is that guy supposed to lead? A zoo?

And that is why everbody else who offered help was stopped from going in to save and rescue. Mr.Brown, though with deep regrets, had to wait for the arrival of his clerks.

--------------------
Polaris
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #80
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

If you had instead emboldened the general Welfare phrase, I think you make a better case. I admit the welfare of the the affected states has trended downwards over the past week, but my initial statements on self-sufficency and self reliance still stand.

*this message sponsored by wesco boot company*

So I emboldened the wrong portion of the quote, but the message still stands.

Self-sufficiency is great if you have the resources to be self-sufficient - obviously this isn't a problem for you. I think a pretty easy case can be made though that the victims in this circumstance don't have those same sorts of resources - otherwise, they wouldn't have stayed and died. Note that all the rich white people got out of town fast, because they were able.

And Ben, where does the buck stop? If the President is going to pass on assuming responsibility for poorly-made political appointments to vital agencies, as well as policies that undercut the effectiveness of said agencies, then where does that leave us, and far more importantly, the victims?

Bush has to be one of the least competent presidents ever, if not the absolute least.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #81
I would of thought Calvin Coolridge and Harding were the least competent.

Of course, President Bush is probably the least competent and perhaps ignorant (maybe that's pushing it a little too far) leader for the 21st century. Least competent of all time? That's debatable.

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #82
I read something on the internet that I didn't believe, so I went to check the FEMA website, and now I find it's true. If you want to apply for desaster assistance you have to register either by phone or online. By phone is close to hopeless, too many callers, online registration requires IE 6.0 or higher. Now you can use Opera that will pass for any browser you ask it to pass for. And some people are posting workaround codes on Katrina blogs for Macintosh and Linux users with different browsers. Nevertheless it does strengthen the impression that this agency has lost touch with reality somewhere, somewhen.

--------------------
Polaris
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #83
Maybe sometime in 2001? ;)

Pages