Hurricane Katrina

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Hurricane Katrina
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #50
This is another link on the subject of hurricanes. There is some supposition that hurricanse are picking up in intensity because of warmer water-- the global warming thing. Not more hurricanes but more damaging hurricanes. They talked about this with Hurrican Ivan earlier in the Caribbean. So, it seems that future hurricanes are going to be much more devastating.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/science/20050901-1408-katrina-warming.html

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #51
Oh you poor Americans, your petrol prices have risen to almost half of what they are here. How dreadful.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #52
Pay attention and take this seriously. FEMA is ultimately responsible for messing this up. They knew this could happen a long time ago and were unprepared.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=00060286-CB58-1315-8B5883414B7F0000

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
BANNED
Member # 6074
Profile #53
Us Americans all hate bush for causing america death and destruction.

--------------------
---------------------------------
Live long and prosper.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #54
Why didn't the government respond quicker to this whole mess? Is it because the people down there are of a lower social class? Is it because of race? Who knows.

I just finished watching a NBC Dateline special report on Hurricane Katrina and there's this theory that the government would of responded quicker if the majority of those affected were Caucasian people instead of African Americans. I have no idea if this is true or not, but judging by how it took 3-4 days for those people to get any kind of major relief, that could be true.

For example, if the President were to be under attack or were to survive a major disaster, surely the help would come immediately without any question or hesitation. The media believes that it was a matter of importance that the people had towards American society. More important people do tend to get pampered a lot more than poor people do.

It's just a theory that the media has recently popped in these news specials. I just want to see other people's opinions on this matter.

Edit: I also do understand that it does take time to get through such a disaster area if a lot of roads and bridges are destroyed and floods are as far as the eye can see. The views expressed in this post are not of my own, but from what I've seen presented in recent news reports.

[ Monday, September 05, 2005 17:06: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #55
While it certainly is the case that the flood does make some of the relief efforts difficult, it doesn't change the fact that a large portion of the people suffering and dying were in the Superdome, which has been accessible from land.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #56
I may have been reading the wrong book, but where does it say that "in case of major natural disaster, act like a cry baby if the federal government acts out of character and speedily delivers every human comfort to any corner of the country?"

Have we as humans forgotten how to be self-sufficient? Why are the people in N.O. complaining and not doing? No food? Go break into a grocery (if you can find one that doesn't already have an open door) and take some canned goods. Then eat. No water? Build a fire and boil some water for drinking. I recommend letting it cool a bit before drinking.

The government isn't the answer to the problems of the country, it is only a reflection of the answer. The real answer happens from all the people in the country acting and doing certain things. This disaster may mean that most people need a bigger government in order to live. That is pitiful.

I've lived through some pretty good disasters, and never once have I or my family asked for or recieved help from the federal government. In fact, we usually start the process of getting help to others that truly need it. That is what made America a great nation. This whining and "why me"ing just turns my stomach.

*this message sponsored by the acme soapbox company*
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #57
Do you really think that thousands are dying because they are weak-willed and stupid?

Unless you lived through the 1906 earthquake in San Francisco, it's unlikely you've seen a disaster of this magnitude.

[ Monday, September 05, 2005 20:44: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #58
Can't see as how I said those things, more that people shouldn't expect the bailout. If one person on the block knows how to procur food and water, they should be working hard to keep fellow residents in food and water.

As far as disasters, I've not been in one of that magnitude, because I've not been in a hurricane. I'll list 'em for you.
1 - Blizzard of '78 Coastal Massachusetts- 4 day blizzard knocked out power and left >4' of snow, combined with gale force winds and high tides that caused flooding in parts of my hometown.
2 - The Perfect Storm Coastal Maine - 2 days spent without heat or power, assisted with clearing downed trees and transporting stranded people out of low areas.
3 - Flood of '96 NW Oregon - 8 days spent without power or roads or access out of town due to roadslides and flooding.
4 - Blizzard of '97 Coastal Massachusetts- 5' of snow, no power/telephone for 3 days.

Maybe I'm a disaster magnet.

*this message sponsored by john hancock*
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #59
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

No food? Go break into a grocery (if you can find one that doesn't already have an open door) and take some canned goods.
You're aware that the National Guard is under orders to shoot people who do that, right?

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #60
See what happens when you ask the feds for help?

*este mensaje es hablado sin sinceriad*
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #61
No, this is what happens when you don't pay for services. Industry does not pay to build roads, schools, and basic services like fire, police, and emergency services. These are government jobs. So is the national guard. Don't blame government for failing when you refuse to pay for it. If you shut down the fire department because you've decided it costs too much and there is a fire your house burns down.

This is a very similar situation. The Bush government does not believe in paying for infrastructure-- roads, schools, and basic services. It costs us too much to have services. Buy an SUV if the roads are going is the attitude which we are getting.

Most of the necessary infrastructure for the flood and hurricane was cut because it cost too much. When the flood came, the services to deal with it probably were severely underfunded. Because the people there were poor-- couldn't give pork to the politicians, they were left to die until people spoke up. The initial reaction was industry will pay to help clean up the flood.

Industry is not in the business of helping people. They are there essentially to sell a product. In a disaster, they will most likely help their own employees, then try to generate some goodwill in the community by helping out in the community, but not much more.

[ Tuesday, September 06, 2005 03:24: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #62
If the United States had a strong infrastructure in the first place, (if it was a top concern many years ago) maybe this current Gulf coast mess wouldn't be as bad as it is now. Though it seems impossible for the US to have top notch infrastructure, it's not. Lots of things in this country go undone and unaccounted for.

I say, if you want something done right, just do it yourself, in terms of sanity and consequences that is.

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #63
As Americans we find ourselves unable to complete anything, eventually we just get bored and let it go... :P

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #64
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

As Americans we find ourselves unable to complete anything, eventually we just get bored and let it go... :P
There's a four-letter country starting with i that really doesn't need to be mentioned, huh? :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #65
Salmon, relief is a large part of the reason the government exists. All you have to do is have a look-see at the ol' Preamble of the US Constitution to see that this is the case:

quote:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Emphasis added.

It's the government's job to provide relief for disasters, and this was a disaster beyond the scale of anything else in the last hundred years or so on our shores.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #66
Not too sure if this is true or not, but I've read in a law book one time that the states have to gain petition from the federal government before they receive any kind of aid. Obviously, New Orleans is not under the jurisdiction of the US government, but of the state of Louisana. Does the government assume that the states have enough resources to handle themselves or is this petition thing actually true (unless it's not)?

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #67
Just to clear this up to anyone who may have this mindset: George W. Bush is in no way the cause of the hurricane or any of it's effects. Glad you agree.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #68
quote:
Not too sure if this is true or not, but I've read in a law book one time that the states have to gain petition from the federal government before they receive any kind of aid.
The governor has to proclaim a major emergency to activate federal support. Such an emergency has been proclaimed by Louisiana's governor in advance of the hurricane's landfall (either Friday or Saturday, I don't remember right now), because of its predicted severity and path.

--------------------
Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #69
quote:
Originally written by Benny Boy:

Just to clear this up to anyone who may have this mindset: George W. Bush is in no way the cause of the hurricane or any of it's effects. Glad you agree.
Quite true indeed. The President is doing the best he can in these troubled times. Not only does he have this Gulf disaster to handle, but he has the nominate an Associate Justice to the Supreme Court really soon too. I hear that John Roberts is Senior Chief Justice now. Bush is currently under a watchful eye now, with this situation I mean.

When all of this is finally blown over, who's going to get the most blame? FEMA?

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #70
I don't know, Jeros. If a cat 5 threatens three states of my country, if one of those states declares a major emergency in advance, because the levees of one its cities can only withstand a cat 3, as everyone's known for decades, and if I'm leader of said country, you can bet that I won't be vacationing.

--------------------
Polaris
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #71
quote:
Originally written by Benny Boy:

Just to clear this up to anyone who may have this mindset: George W. Bush is in no way the cause of the hurricane
Agreed so far.
quote:
or any of it's effects.
You say this so casually, as if it were that easy. I'm not an expert on disaster management, but it's pretty clear that someone in the national government mucked up pretty badly here — we had several days advance warning on this, no? Yet thousands died — and I'd have to say that the fact that at least one local congressman wants to punch W's lights out is a pretty good indication that he blundered.

He didn't bring the winds or the flood, but he was probably part of the reason (although not the whole reason) that when the waters came, many people were still in harm's way. And if you don't want to classify that as an "effect" of the hurricane, I'd say you're playing semantic games.

FEMA is definitely in some serious trouble here, too, as Toast pointed out earlier. It's definitely not all Bush's fault, but I think it would be disingenuous to say that he shares none of the blame.

Eh, I don't mean to play politics here, but Ben's casual way with the truth gets to me.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #72
If my history is accuracte, Katrina should become the worst hurricane disaster (well, any US disaster for that matter) of all time, even worse than that other hurricane in the early 1900s. (I think the Hurricane of 1900 or the 1904 San Francisco earthquake, whichever one was worse)

The hurricane of 1900 brought upon about 8,000 deaths I believe. Katrina is expected to reach 10,000+ in the death tolls, well once all the water gets pumped out and there's hot and smelly decompossed dead bodies laying around.

I wonder though, didn't southeast Asia experience massive typhoons not too long ago? Were those typhoons worse or is Katrina worse?

In the end, I believe that many areas of government will be playing the blame game and that in due time, they will all share some fault in this.

--------------------
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #73
All that money and people thrown into Iraq would probably have been better spent on infrastructure.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #74
Earlier tonight I was talking with my Indian friend and he said that parts of southeast Asia (especially Bengladesh, which is virtually all flood plains) experience hurricanes with flooding like this on a routine basis. The government tells them to evacuate, and they do. Part of the problem with Katrina is that some people didn't leave even though there was a warning. To their credit, though, I bet that these countries are much more prepared for this kind of thing.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"

Pages