Hurricane Katrina

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Hurricane Katrina
Warrior
Member # 6268
Profile #25
Except Baton Rouge/New Orleans (Unless you count the streetcar Desire ).

--------------------
Un ronron ronchonne, un ronfleur ronfle.
Un rongeur ronge, un roi règne, une orange roule.
Ça c'est la réalité.
Mais si le ronchon ronge, le ronfleur ronchonne,
Le roi roule, le rongeur règne
Et l'orange ronfle,
Ça c'est une autre histoire.
Warrior
Member # 5531
Profile #26
Was anyone hit by Katrina? If so, where were you?

--------------------
~the all consuming oni of chaos~
Warrior
Member # 5531
Profile #27
And Lord, I am in La too. It sucked for me. How about you?

[ Saturday, September 03, 2005 12:45: Message edited by: Oni of Chaos ]

--------------------
~the all consuming oni of chaos~
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #28
I, too, have read that some people didn't have any means to leave, no car etc.

Some news neglect to mention this, for one reason or another. You easily get the picture that they chose not to leave, which is misleading.

The Asians didn't have time to prepare for their tsunami. The US and New Orleans had time to prepare for Katrina but I'm amazed at how little preparations they seem to have done.

Canada and Russia both have a working mass-transit system, as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), and they are pretty big countries.

If there were no trains, buses could have been brought to evacuate people already before the hurricane. Instead, everyone was on their own and those who couldn't leave were just directed to a stadium.

I hope not many more people die before all are evacuated.

And zero tolerance on _any_ looting when people are starving? That doesn't sound very bright.
Apprentice
Member # 3004
Profile #29
In regards to people not leaving during the mandatory evacuation: how did you expect everyone to leave? It hit at the very end of the month. The poorest people live from paycheck to paycheck, which typically comes at the beginning of the month. At the end of the month, many people are flat broke. This means no money for a bus ticket, for gas, or for any other way.

With regard to the leeves, they were only build with anti-erosion material on the lake side for cost reasons, so when the water spilled over, the leeves eroded from the other side until the anti-erosion material just toppled over.

Also, has anyone seen any overhead images of southern Louisiana after Katrina? Seems to me that area would have lost a lot of land, furthering the previous sinking problem already present.

--------------------
Sandwichs and Apples.
Warrior
Member # 6268
Profile #30
Point of Fact: In New Orleans they DID have buses that people could take to leave. Also i'm mostly talking about people on the coast where 20% of the people refused to leave. The coast of Louisiana does not have many cities. Where there are no cities, everyone has cars. I am sure there are many people who didn't leave because they couldn't but there were also those who were like the villagers in the "boy who cried wolf."

--------------------
Ça c'est la réalité.
Et l'orange ronfle,
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #31
There were buses, sure, but there weren't nearly enough to evacuate a city in any reasonable span of time.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #32
I am so out of the loop... :( My prayers for all in New Orleans, and my hopes that they will decide not to rebuild, at least not in "the bowl". If everyone has to start over, a better, safer, investment may be to rebuild on a little bit higher ground.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #33
There are pieces missing from the news about Mississippi and Louisiana. I'm assuming that all the shipping that was near the path of the hurricane was destroyed. This includes most of the boats and ports in or around Mississippi and Lousiana. I am assuming it killed a lot of people who lived near the sea. I found this to be a very interesting piece of news not being reported in the United States very much. This will have a devastating impact on the United States. New Orleans is a major grain transshipment point and a lot of oil is refined there.
http://sify.com/news/international/fullstory.php?id=13929961

[ Sunday, September 04, 2005 09:08: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #34
Would that explain the surging increase of gasoline prices at the pump, or is the government using Katrina as an excuse for people "price gouging" gas? I've heard different opinions on both sides of this argument.

Well, I think some of those oil rigs should be up and running soon. (those that suffered minor damage) I've heard that President Bush gave the order to use emergency oil reserves in order to accomadate price drops for gas which could be the reason that pump prices have dropped about 20-30 cents a gallon these past few days. The national average is like $2.85 or something now.

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #35
Internationally other countries have agreed to released around 60 million barrels of crude oil from their strategic reserves, the U.S. has agreed to release 30 million barrels of it's own supply. This is intended to help quell the rising gas prices; however, this crisis has been a long time coming and this will only put it off...

EDIT: And I believe the average of 2.85 was before the Hurricane. It's gotta be over $3 now.

[ Sunday, September 04, 2005 14:14: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #36
$2.97 is the national average in the United States right now. That's bound to change in the next few days.

I also would of thought the national price average of gas would be over $3, but many of the gas prices I've read, seen and heard of all appear to be between $2.95-$3.39.

Prices vary between cities and states.

Of course, like Lt. Sullust said, using oil reserves is only a temporary solution and if a permanent one is not found, (alternative fuel sources and the such) the US economy is just going to get worse. I would not be surprised if gas were to cost close to $4 near the major holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc...) or maybe even sooner...

Edit: Believe it or not, the average price before Katrina was a lot less than $2.85 ($2.56 to be exact) as prices surged about 30 to 60 cents (probably price gouging) a gallon overnight and over the course of a few days too. The average price was actually $3.13 at one point, but has since dropped because of the reserved oil being used at the moment.

[ Sunday, September 04, 2005 15:18: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #37
As far as the evacuation efforts, why? They are in a direct path of hurricanes every season, as just about every coastal area in the Eastern US. Are we to relegate these areas as seasonal only? Out of the 10 or so hurricanes that hit every year, are these people supposed to pick up their entire lives and leave each time? I live North of Raleigh, NC, we get in the path of landfall hurricanes about each year, I don't leave, no matter how bad it is. I've weathered these storms living in two different trailer houses, as well as a regular house. It's home, it's what I work for everyday, the comfortable spot I come home to after work. It's hard to leave.
Their entire lives, not a trip to the beach, or a vacation, they would leave their homes, jobs, everything. The last time New Orleans sunk was in the 60's (If I remember correctly), why on Earth would they leave now, 40 years later?
As far as the gas prices, it's gouging, plain and simple. The gas stations around here raised prices $0.50 or more overnight. They didn't get a new shipment, they got greedy. The fact that the pipeline that feeds much of Eastern US broke didn't affect the gas prices then, only in the future. It hurts those of us that rely on gas to perform our jobs (I'm a rural mail carrier, we supply our own vehicles/fuel). I for one will remember the shops that had the best prices the longest, and came down in price first.

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Warrior
Member # 6268
Profile #38
If you don't evacuate people living in dangerous places (i.e. New Orleans, coastlines), many many people die. Ergo, if you were in a trailer home near the coast, you wouldn't be writing that message, so Im assuming that you live away from the coast.

--------------------
Ça c'est la réalité.
Et l'orange ronfle,
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #39
Shoot. I remember on my trip to Oregon in July the gas was 2.58 in Hood River and we though it was expensive. And 3.39? Wow. I never hope to even see it that high.

I remember once when it was 99 cents. :)

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #40
$2.58 in July? That sounds about right. I've heard rumors of gas price highs at $3.39, but the highest I've seen in my area was about 10 cents lower than that... :P

The first time I've ever filled up gas in a car, it was like 89 cents a gallon. (and that wasn't too long ago)

My parents would tell me stories that they grew up filling up gas at a quarter a gallon and that you earned like $5 a day. My how times have changed.

Of course, if you add the inflation in those past times, it's probably equal or higher to prices we see today.

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #41
Last Thursday I was horrified to see gas at 2.89 a gallon in the morning. I drove back through town 8 hours later to refill, and it was 2.98/gal. It hasn't gone down though, and I need to buy gas again. I recommended to the station manager that he hire a mortgage officer to share his office space. Home equity line of credit for gas costs...

On another note, I heard a rumor that one or more states has rescinded gas taxes for the short term in order to keep the economy going. Anyone know anything more on that? I know I would stockpile gas if the price dropped 60 cents.

*this message fueled by the american dream*
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #42
Katrina, I've heard, was a level 2 hurricane. That it broke through level 3 levees is not very encouraging; I'm sure this is not an exclusive problem. I hope other communities at similar risk take heed before it's too late.

Let's also hope that recent gas prices will lead to an increase in the number of hybrids produced and purchased. There are different ways of taking advantage of such a situation; may the positive way prevail.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #43
From Washingtonpost.com:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/custom/2005/09/01/CU2005090101358.html
Its quite unbelievable really...

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #44
quote:
Originally written by Jeros:

Of course, if you add the inflation in those past times, it's probably equal or higher to prices we see today.
Considering we're close to, are passing or have already passed the Oil Peak, it's probably not.

quote:
Wikipedia:

After Hurricane Katrina, Saudi Arabia admitted that it simply could not increase production to make up for the loss of Gulf of Mexico oil rigs. This was widely believed, albeit speculatively, to be the beginning of a final oil crisis, in which there will be no choice but to radically curtail the use of oil.
It's not just gas, by the way. The majority of the power industry, and the metal industry, and the plastics industry are directly dependent on fossil fuels, and pretty much every major industry depends indirectly on it via these. The world is running on oil, and if it peaks, there will be more effects than high gas prices.

[ Monday, September 05, 2005 01:50: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #45
quote:
Originally written by Lady Davida:

Katrina, I've heard, was a level 2 hurricane. That it broke through level 3 levees is not very encouraging;
Katrina was category 4 when it made landfall, it didn't fall back to category two until a few hours later...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #46
After reading the Wikipedia link on Katrina, it appears that anything that has to do with energy is going to be affected in the long run. Gasoline prices are the most obvious ones, but things like natural gas (already noticed my gas bill went up by $95 last month alone) are going to take up more money out of our finances as well. (for those that actually pay bills)

This whole energy crisis thing the US is suffering through isn't anything new. Hurricane Katrina simply added fuel to the fire to expose our crisis further.

As for alternative ways of automobiles, SUV sales have deceased a lot since gas prices are going up. These days, the average fill up for a SUV is about $55-$110 to fill up a whole tank! Better start looking for cars with low gallons and high milage per gallon. (26-40 is about reasonable) I've heard that hybrid cars are expensive, but with these events unfolding as we speak, they could be the new wave of cars in the upcoming future.

[ Monday, September 05, 2005 07:35: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #47
Now is the time to start pumping out them hydrogen cars in mass production. Along with the fuel stations.

And if the prices stay as they are, hybrids might start to look like a good buy.

EDIT: On second thought, they should be able to make cars that use electrolosis or whatever to get hydrogen from water fuel, use, it and pump out exhaust of oxygen and water. Or does that take too much battery power?

[ Monday, September 05, 2005 09:49: Message edited by: Benny Boy ]

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #48
Hybrids already look like good buys. They could be made to look better though with tax incentives. Not that you'll see that coming out of this administration, but I'm hopeful for an impeachment. Can you say "gross incompetence?"
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #49
There already are tax incentives for owning a hybrid car...

[ Monday, September 05, 2005 11:53: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris

Pages