Official Election Final Round Voting

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Official Election Final Round Voting
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #275
quote:
Originally written by Lady Davida:

Stuggie, I'd say it's an extremely watered-down Western accent. Not extremely remarkable, but it's there. Also, I can understand the "half" part, but the way you say "Stug" sounds more like "Stayg", "Stag", or "Steg".
Western? I suppose it isn't too odd, as I am a Midwesterner. As for the pronunciation of "Stug" in the recording, it's not quite how I usually pronounce it. I noticed immediately after I recorded it that I'd mangled it a bit, but didn't want to re-record. Ordinarily, I do pronounce it quite phonetically.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #276
Kel, thank you for offering to host these files. I've just e-mailed you two files. One is a boring example of stereotypical Russian accent. Another, is my attempt to produce a more fun accent sameple, while making this post relevant to the original topic of this thread by allowing people to truly appreciate EVOL Zeviz's speeches, by reading a part of one of them with the appropriate accent. I just think "my comrades" sounds much better when pronounced by a Russian. :) (Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish that piece with a straight face.)

EDIT This modem is very slow. My e-mail is still being sent.

[ Monday, July 25, 2005 20:55: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #277
Stughalf's voice does not really sound Indian. No offence intended, but last time I talked to an Indian their accent different. Oh well. Maybe its because you have lived in America most of your life?

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #278
Zeviz Accent
Zeviz EVOL

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #279
quote:
Originally written by Stugri-La:

What's the nature of this supposed accent I possess? I wasn't aware that I had any at all...
quote:
Originally written by Sarachim:

I quite literally do not have an accent, unless "American" counts.
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I've never understood what people meant by not having an accent. You speak a language, right? And you speak it with the particular pronunciation of a region or country, right? That's a dialect and therefore an accent.
The American accent counts, and is quite strong and distinctive. Trust me.

EDIT: But not as strong or distinctive as Zeviz's! Wow, do you actually talk like that or were you exaggerating it?

[ Monday, July 25, 2005 21:17: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #280
Zeviz's accent is very normal for a Russian — Russian kills one's pronunciation of all other languages about as badly as English does. At what age did you come to America, Zeviz?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #281
Zeviz does have a very stronger Russian accent. And I also thought that it was pronounced Zeviz as it is written, with the 'e' sound instead of the 'i' sound.

EDIT: Kel, you have a PM.

[ Monday, July 25, 2005 21:24: Message edited by: Spring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #282
The EVOL speech sounds great with the accent, especially the "my comrades".

Also, I've been slightly mispronouncing Zeviz, too.

[ Monday, July 25, 2005 21:30: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #283
I came to US at 13, but I am not very good with languages. Also, my accents fluctuates based on whom I regularly talk to. I currently have many Russian coworkers, so my accent has gotten worse than it was when I was in college.

As for pronounciation of Zeviz, the first vovel is a Russian sound half way between "e" in "pet" and "i" in "pit". I guess it might sound like "i" sound to you, but it's actually one of the sounds that makes my accent sound so weird. Just pronounce that sound as an "e" in "pet" to get as close as you can get to my pronounciation without making your entire speech sound like mine. :)

[ Monday, July 25, 2005 21:43: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #284
Not that anyone asked me to share, but as I grew up in Boston, and lived for several years in Maine, Texas, California, and now Oregon, and having spent many summers in Ontario (Canada), I have the most neutral American accent. Of course after visiting a place for a few weeks I do start assuming the local dialect as my own.

Examples -
About = aboot (Minnesota and Canada)
Car = Cah or cahr (Boston)
Yes = Ayuh (Maine)
You look so pretty = May I go fishing all weekend? (Here and now)

*this message sponsored by google dialect - the next zany invention*
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #285
quote:
I know this. I was mainly speaking for the benefit of my fellow Americans, who recognize a whole slew of regional "American" accents. If I can be an ugly American for a moment, I can't understand how anyone could call Bostonian the same as, say, Minnesotan.

Marlenny: Brooklyn sounds pretty similar to the rest of New York, now that I think about it. I guess accents here have more to do with ethnicity than what borrough you live in.

[ Monday, July 25, 2005 21:51: Message edited by: Scorched Earth Sarachim ]
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #286
quote:
Originally written by Scorched Earth Sarachim:

quote:
I know this. I was mainly speaking for the benefit of my fellow Americans, who recognize a whole slew of regional "American" accents. If I can be an ugly American for a moment, I can't understand how anyone could call Bostonian the same as, say, Minnesotan.

Marlenny: Brooklyn sounds pretty similar to the rest of New York, now that I think about it. I guess accents here have more to do with ethnicity than what borrough you live in.

Actually, people always talk about how different the Long Island accent is, which if you pay close attention you may notice. but i get what you are saying.

To Zeviz: I loved your clip, very funny indeed. And as everyone else I mispronounced your name and still do.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #287
Zeviz: usually the age of 10 is the cut-off point. Your accent is not bad for the age at which you arrived.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #288
How do you make a clip a Wav or MP3? The only software I have that will record audio is IMovie, and it wants to save/play as a .mov using QuickTime.

[ Monday, July 25, 2005 22:13: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #289
Try Audacity.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #290
Thank you, Aran, that worked perfectly.

--------------------
Nena
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #291
You'll need LAME if you want to export the project as an .mp3 file.

(Is "a" or "an" the correct article in that sentence? The former sounds wrong, the latter looks wrong.)

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #292
Looks wrong, is wrong, sounds right because mp3 is pronounced with a starter vowel (e).

*this message sponsored by the repatriate Nicole Kidman fund - please take her back now*
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #293
What I think Salmon is trying to say is that the N in "an" is dropped before a consonant in the next word, so if mp3 were pronounced "mmpthree," the correct article would be "a," whereas since it is normally pronounced "em pee three," the correct article is normally "an."

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #294
".mp3" is read letter by letter rather than as a whole word, so saying "a .mp3" sounds like ".amp3", so I tend to say "an .mp3".

Edit: Hope that makes sense.

[ Monday, July 25, 2005 23:16: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #295
Actually, I was just hoping Ash had some pull in the industry and could get Nicole extradited.

*this message sponsored by the articles of introduction*
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #296
I missed something. What does Nicole Kidman have to do with anything?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #297
Wow, this thread has turned from a turbulent election to one concerning the vast intricacies of language. Well, okay, perhaps discussing accents isn't exactly an intricacy, but this is still very fun for me.

"For the record":
Thuryl sounds quite British to me, though I have no reason to doubt his Aussie-ness
Ash sounds like an Aussie
Stug does indeed have a slight midwestern American accent
Zevis's Russian accent is well, very Russian. Replacing "th" with a "z" ("like zis") reminds me very much of the way Germans speak English, due to the absence of the "th" sound. I imagine this is a similar case in Russian.

I think my accent is very much an American one, but I'm interested to discover how everyone will judge it. As such, I'll be recording myself very soon.

[ Tuesday, July 26, 2005 00:40: Message edited by: Slp006 ]

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #298
I love the Minnesotan/Fargo accent. And the Southern accent. And the Russian accent. And the Ukrainian accent. And the British accent. And the Australian accent. And the old Jewish man from NYC accent.

Personally, I have a bit of a Maryland accent mixed with a touch of ebonics.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #299
And now you can hear that for yourselves:

track.mp3 - in which I discuss my afternoon plans (12 sec)
beyonce.mp3 - in which I sing along to "Daddy," by Beyoncé (8 sec)
groovy.mp3 - in which Simon and Garfunkel and Thompson perform an instant classic (15 sec)

[ Tuesday, July 26, 2005 06:22: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00

Pages