Official Election Final Round Voting

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Official Election Final Round Voting
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #250
It sounds like "how's it going" to me, too.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #251
It was "How's it going", definitely. I had no idea that it was even a uniquely Australian turn of phrase. Unlike, say, spitting the dummy.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #252
'Spittin' the dummy' is a good one. Another good one is 'spewin' and 'spittin' chips', a rough translation being 'bugger.'

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #253
Actually, that reminds me of the time I was listening to a Bill Cosby tape and he said something like "I went outside and spit on the goon." Spit, not spat. I'm still confused. Am I wrong or was he? Or does the word only get the dignity of a past tense outside of America? Or what?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #254
Here, spit and spat are both acceptable past tense forms of to spit.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 5802
Profile #255
i vote for Thuryl

--------------------
polaris c'mon you know you want to
Avernum4 Averforge
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #256
Glad to hear it, but the voting ended four days ago. Thuryl had the most votes.

[ Monday, July 25, 2005 07:22: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #257
*finally gets time to download a couple clips*

Wow, I pronounced Thuryl right. Yay!

Isn't is awful though that a 4-second .wav file is as large as a 30-second .mp3 file?

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #258
I guess I'll record a couple accent samples in the evening. Can somebody host them for me?

PS And after I post them, nobody should be embarrassed of posting their accent. :)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #259
I can host anyone's attempt at spoken language.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #260
I've just sent you a brief clip of my voice, Kel. Thank you in advance for hosting it.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #261
Stughalf's attempt.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #262
Your accent is only slightly sharper than I expected. Sounds pretty standard to me, though, of course. The pronunciation of your name kind of caught me off guard, though... I've always thought it was STUGH-ahlf (like Rudolph except the first syllable rhymes with hug).

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #263
I pronounced your name sooooo wrong that I couldn't even begin to explain how bad I said it. oh well, I would do my recording, but I don't even have a mic nor any idea on how to do it ,so I guess you all are lucky enough to not hear my weird deep voice.
Warrior
Member # 5802
Profile #264
exactly what is this election about anyways? :confused:

--------------------
polaris c'mon you know you want to
Avernum4 Averforge
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #265
Deciding who has the best accent, obviously.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #266
quote:
Originally written by Grape slime:

Damn, you are late. The first election was to elect our member of preference to have an opportunity of becoming a Mod, if Drakey agrees to it of course. Anyways, the winner of the election was Thuryl, and it is still unknown whether he will be a Mod or not and what exactly he will Mod. Nevertheless, we are all very exited about it.
The second one is still undecided,and as Ash said is to elect the best accent of course.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #267
quote:
Originally written by Grape slime:

You voted for someone without knowing what you were voting for?
----------------------------------------------------

I've also been mispronouncing Stughalf's name…

Stugie, you have a bit of an accent :)
I'll see what I can do about a sound clip, but no promises.

--------------------
Nena
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #268
I've never understood what people meant by not having an accent. You speak a language, right? And you speak it with the particular pronunciation of a region or country, right? That's a dialect and therefore an accent. It may be close to Standard American or the British equivalent (Received Pronunciation, I think?), but a standard American is still an American accent to a Brit, and a standard Brit is still an English accent to an American. Have I done this rant before?

Oh, and you know what would really spice up the next election? Ostracism. I'm serious. The runner-up could be banned for the year that the winner was in office. That would cut down on the non-serious candidates.

Well, maybe not. But it would raise the stakes.

--------------------

Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #269
Lol Kel: I seriously doubt that it would ever happen, but it would def be fun to see. I think many people would run just for the sake of it.

Dolphin: does he voting for something he doesn't know really surprises you? It was bound to happen sooner or later.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #270
I haven't found a single person yet who hasn't mispronounced the name after seeing it in print. I think it's because the name seems somewhat German in nature at first sight, so it inspires a Germanic-sounding pronunciation. If the name is split in half, however, treating "Stug" and "Half" as separate words, the correct pronunciation becomes more apparent.

What's the nature of this supposed accent I possess? I wasn't aware that I had any at all, but as representatives from both American coasts have noticed one, I suppose it must exist. :P

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #271
I quite literally do not have an accent, unless "American" counts. Even then, it's pretty weak. I can do a pretty good Brooklyn accent when I try, not that anyone wants to hear that.

[ Monday, July 25, 2005 20:25: Message edited by: Scorched Earth Sarachim ]
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #272
quote:
Originally written by Scorched Earth Sarachim:

I quite literally do not have an accent, unless "American" counts. I can do a pretty good Brooklyn accent when I try, not that anyone wants to hear that.
Maybe it is because I live in the Bronx, but I seriously do not notice the Brooklyn that much (to not say at all). It is really not that thick, but I guess one doesn't really noticed one's accent because we are used to hearing it. For example, I really don't think new yorkers have any accents, but I def think Europeans do. People say I have an accent, but I can’t really tell. I don’t quite have the Hispanic accent or the American one.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #273
I don't think Grape Slime is intentionally satirizing the election, but he might as well be. =]

Stuggie, I'd say it's an extremely watered-down Western accent. Not extremely remarkable, but it's there. Also, I can understand the "half" part, but the way you say "Stug" sounds more like "Stayg", "Stag", or "Steg".

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #274
quote:
Originally written by Marlenny:

Dolphin: does he voting for something he doesn't know really surprises you? It was bound to happen sooner or later.
No, not surprised, but If he's not Ice Drake they must be related.

--------------------
Nena

Pages