Religion

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Religion
Shock Trooper
Member # 3801
Profile Homepage #0
Sorry if this topic offends anyone, it is kinda political, but I'm just curious to hear what people have to say. What religion (if any) are you? I know a lot of people are christian or aethiest, but please share your thoughts on this. I myself am a Buddhist.

--------------------
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Take a chance at the Chance Forums!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #1
Atheist. Kinda like Buddhism, though. I would be a Buddhist if they didn't believe in reincarnation & souls & such. Other than that, seems like a good way to lead one's life.

--------------------
"... and approximately one sea turtle."
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #2
I am a self-proclaimed christian, Presbyterian, if you want to be specific.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #3
Atheist, though Taoism/Buddhism have their virtues...
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #4
Agnostic. No beliefs whatsoever, in terms of gods and souls and the afterlife. I don't know if they exist, and I probably never will. If I ever get proof of something (for instance, the stars rearranging themselves so that they say "SATAN IS YOUR SAVIOR" in the sky or something like that), then I'll believe it. Until then, no point worrying about it.

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
An absurdly fun Flash game- Refridgerator Raid!
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #5
Everyone knows which religion I'm part of. IMAGE(Religion_files/tongue.gif)

Oh, by the way, while we are still on this topic, who believes in an afterlife? If you do, what do you believe that you need to do to get there?

[ Saturday, January 31, 2004 14:14: Message edited by: The Flying Jellybean ]

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
I'm Jewish, but only barely. I also find much to be admired in apathetic agnosticism. And I go to about the same number of Quaker meetings as services in synagogue.

—Alorael, who has no idea whether there is an afterlife or not, and couldn't conceive of it if there is one. He'll leave that up to God and go on with his life.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #7
I'm sort of a Christian, but I have a lot of beliefs that don't fit in with that religion.

I believe in some kind of afterlife, but what kind I think it is varies with how I feel about this life.

[ Saturday, January 31, 2004 15:08: Message edited by: dareva ]

--------------------
But I have never known or heard of anyone in real life who has said, "Yes! My goal in life is to be a brainless follower of obnoxious people!"
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #8
I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Though we are commonly known as the Mormons.

I do beleive in an after-life and could go into great and confusing detail if you want me to.

[ Saturday, January 31, 2004 15:14: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Need a pet? Need cheap labor? Buy a Moose!

Take the Personality Test! INTJ 78% 33% 44% 22%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #9
I'm a Quaker; I am also lazy, so I am not an official Quaker.

I think a more important question might be: who here is a different religion than he/she was born into, and why? It's easy enough to inherit a faith, but the crucible of belief tends to lie in choosing it for yourself.

[ Saturday, January 31, 2004 15:15: Message edited by: The Custer And The Fury ]

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Shock Trooper
Member # 3801
Profile Homepage #10
Buddhists believe in rebirth, which sounds the same as reincarnation but is quite different. Reincarnation is when your soul enters the body of another form (not always human) and rebirth is your "soul" entering the body of another human. Buddhists, unlike Hindus, do not believe in an existing soul. Buddhism says that everything is constantly changing and nothing is permanent, that which we call a soul is nothing but changing emotions and feelings and senses all thrown together. If you actually take it apart and look at each one individually, there just insignificant pieces of life. Hinduism is different in that they believe in Atman, the unchanging, innermost being of every man and animal on earth, i.e. a soul. Buddhism is different also because they do not follow a caste system like in Hinduism, and they don't agree with the concept of a spiritual leader. Inner peace and enlightenment is in all of us, we just have to uncover it.

If there is an afterlife, which I think there is, no one will ever be here to describe it.

--------------------
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Take a chance at the Chance Forums!
Apprentice
Member # 3916
Profile #11
I always liked the notion of the "Church of the Second Chance" heh heh heh.

Seriously, though -- agnostic, since there is no proof either way of the existence or nonexistence of the supernatural stuff.

Doug
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #12
I'm a Christian. The rest of my family is too, but I think even if they weren't I'd still be a Christian.

--------------------
The Club of All
Chance Forums
I was once member #2475, but then my account was deleted because of a bug.
Post count=406+whatever it says below.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #13
Atheist, leaning towards Post-Modernist, aka "Autotheism".

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #14
Christian, mainly because of my upbringing. Otherwise I don't know what I'd call myself... probably just "religious". I think most Christians are a bit too obsessed with the Bible and with Jesus, God's human form, and not with God himself.

I believe in the afterlife, yes; heaven or hell, depending mainly upon actions and motives, and also partially upon belief in God or lack thereof. For instance, a moral, well-behaved atheist would be able to get into heaven, while a Christian terrorist and adulterer would not. Also, an active Satanist who loves little kitties and saves the trees will just have to get used to fire and brimstone.

I also believe in forgiveness and mercy, which is one of the reasons I call myself Christian. And, as an optimist, I believe that even those who end up in hell can be forgiven and go to heaven. But still, that should not be used as a justification for sin.

EDIT: Even though I think it's ridiculous to have to say so, that's all just my opinion. Somehow, putting the phrase "It's my opinion that..." before any belief seems to make it less fundamental. Whatever.

[ Saturday, January 31, 2004 18:01: Message edited by: Sir David ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #15
I'm a rather devout Catholic, but I also have Buddhist and Zoroastrian tendencies.
I also consider myself a Jedi, and I am a member of the Anama.

[ Saturday, January 31, 2004 18:15: Message edited by: Smugglers' Alliance, Chief of the ]

--------------------
-WildKarrdeSmuggler

-----------------------------------
Visit the Smuggler's Alliance
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #16
Far too many of you poor souls here are going to end up in Hell.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #17
Already been there. Have the postcard to prove it.

--------------------
-WildKarrdeSmuggler

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #18
Welcome to the discount Christian outlet.

You save NOTHING- only Jesus saves!

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #19
Wouldn't have it any other way. Besides, I hate shopping.

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #20
Atheist. And like Alorael I go to Quaker meetings as often as I go to synagogues. IMAGE(Religion_files/tongue.gif)

And for Alec, I have one Christian parent and one atheist parent. I used to be Christian, but stopped any years ago.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #21
JESUS SAVES, when he shops at Wal-Mart.

I'm a Christian, for two reasons. My family, and the chance that God might excist. That way, I lose nothing by being part of a group that actually doesn't demand stuff from me.

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #22
I'm an involved Reform Jew.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #23
Christian - or Lutheran to be exact. I find my church suits me quite well as we put faith in many of the same virtues.

I believe in God, or at least I try to. Most of my prayers I direct to Jesus, however, as he seems easier to approach. God is so...huge.

The above doesn't mean I go to church all the time, however. It's more like a personal relationship.

I just realized this is the most honest post I've ever posted. I should probably erase it.

Why am I still writing this?

Stop reading already!

Stop it, I said!

Nothing more to see, move along.

Alright then, I'll stop writing! HaHA! Try to continue reading now!

EDIT: Sorry, couldn't help it. A serious post always needs a little spam to lighten up the atmosphere. It's like they say: a post without a little spam is like France without sweet sinners.

[ Sunday, February 01, 2004 02:02: Message edited by: Ironweed ]
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #24
To ???:
I think you are missing the boat. It is not your faith that determines your eternity. It is the love with which you live your life. A good, caring atheist has a better chance of reaching heaven than a self-righteous Christian, who goes around telling people that they are going to go to hell. In my experience, those people who tell everyone that they are going to hell are the same people that are the most afraid that they will end up there themselves. The best way of preaching the Good News of Jesus Christ is by example. To quote St. Paul, "Faith without love is worthless....And so these three remain: Faith Hope and Love, and the Greatest of these is Love."
Faith is important, but not paramount in salvation.

--------------------
-WildKarrdeSmuggler

Pages