Something I never understood

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Something I never understood
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #0
Here you have an Empire which possesses the fantastic ability to Shape. Wingbolts, Kyshakks, and Rotgroths.

Yet the Shapers WALK EVERYWHERE.

Why has Jeff neglected to put mounted troops in the game? I mean, seriously, you'd think a Shaping empire would be able to create half-decent mounts...

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
Because such a creation could easily be absorbed right out from under the shaper. Or hit with a discipline wand. Besides, horses are mentioned in GF4.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #2
I didn't think Shapers could absorb other Shaper's creations. Isn't this why they have trouble with Drakons in the first place?

Well, in the Geneforge 1 you begin the game by riding on a Drayk Boat thing.

[ Sunday, March 25, 2007 14:58: Message edited by: Enraged Slith ]
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #3
Shaper goes to absorb random battle alpha gone rouge.
Crunch.

[ Sunday, March 25, 2007 15:00: Message edited by: Infernal Flamming Muffin ]

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

My brother tried to type something here. I just erased it.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #4
Well, if the Shaper can get close enough to the bloody creature whithout getting stomped/whomped/chomped/crashed/hashed/bashed to absorb it...

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:

I didn't think Shapers could absorb other Shaper's creations. Isn't this why they have trouble with Drakons in the first place?
The creation has to submit in order for you to absorb it. In Geneforge 3, Master Hodge left an artila in the creation pen and the innkeeper asks you to kill it. With some leadership skill, you can convince it to let you absorb it.

As for mounts, I always figured shapers stay in their fortresses all the time, guardians are man to man fighters, and agents need to move around inconspicuously. As for heavy loads that need to be carried, serviles seem to do fine (caravan in Geneforge 4).

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #6
Shapers make creations to use as boats, which is what you are on at the start of GF1. Since wingbolts are the first true flying creations and are suspect for rogue tendencies, it is too early for Shapers to go airborne.
Warrior
Member # 1250
Profile #7
I think that the real issue here isn't whether or not a creation mount can be absorbed (although it is important).

The issue is that it's probably as easy to Shape a mount for a soldier as it is to Shape a creature that's better than a soldier riding something else.

Edit: typo fixed

[ Sunday, March 25, 2007 19:11: Message edited by: Guardian of Eternity ]
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #8
None of the explainations here really make much sense. It's pretty much a well known concept that cavalry have an advantage over infantry (unless said infantry are armed with pikes/spears). There's no reason whatsoever to justify an absence of unmounted guardians/soldiers (or even Shapers/Agents).

Personally, I think it just comes down to laziness on Jeff's part.

I find it really hard to take an army seriously, if it lacks light and heavy cavalry.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Cartographer
Member # 995
Profile #9
the tactical advantages of cavalry over infantry only hold in pre-gunpowder armies. since then, guerilla warfare has ruled whenever applied. think of shaping as gunpowder.

(edit: before someone jumps on me: to be fair, I left out years of gunpowder armies which included major cavalry divisions... but those armies were using guns as fancy crossbows and trying to keep the old style. until the American revolution showed them up so badly... and on the other side of history, I left out that before the the invention of the stirrup, cavalry weren't particularly useful - the roman army used cavalry for mop up and show, but the phalanx was tremendously more powerful. the history of warfare is rather more complex than I am putting in this post, and I shall have to suffice to say that cavalry had its moment, but wasn't always superior to infantry, and didn't remain superior to infantry forever).

(edit 2: the shapers aren't joking when they say "a single shaper IS an army". just look at how much the player destroys over the course of a game. put my opponents on horseback, and they'll just die faster because they'll get closer to me sooner. in range of my fyoras and daze spells, or my drayks and essence orbs, or my wingbolts and aura of flames (depending on the chapter :) )).

[ Sunday, March 25, 2007 23:44: Message edited by: -silver- ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
When creations can be controlled safely and precisely from afar by shapers and fight more effectively than all but the best of human soldiers, the rider becomes somewhat redundant.

quote:
Originally written by Suspicious Vlish:

Personally, I think it just comes down to laziness on Jeff's part.
"Laziness" is perhaps overly harsh; implementing a mounted soldier convincingly is not an easy task. Think for a while on how you'd do it, and then think on the disadvantages of whatever approaches you might consider. Game design isn't easy.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 3828
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Shapers make creations to use as boats, which is what you are on at the start of GF1. Since wingbolts are the first true flying creations and are suspect for rogue tendencies, it is too early for Shapers to go airborne.
Actually when we still had the Awakened around, their final ending definitely had flying creatures.

--------------------
Morbo is pleased but sticky...
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #12
Just use the same script as the one used to make worms spawn from the infested drake!

A rider/steed picture, rider/steed picture dies, spawn script activates rider spawns!

How hard can that be?

--------------------
The force is with ME! I'm not so sure about YOU!

Trust me, you do not want to click this link
Apprentice
Member # 8380
Profile #13
Yeah! I want to ride an ornk! Yeehaw! moo :D

--------------------
forgot mah old pass ;(
Cartographer
Member # 995
Profile #14
I just have to giggle whenever I see people write, or hear people say, "how hard can it be?"

Small changes to code are never as straightforward as one thinks they should be - subtle new interactions crop up all over the place (just ONE example, purely off the top of my head: does your new script now perhaps allow people to skip encounters by killing their steed in the right place and re-spawning outside the rectange? well, gotta test for it to make sure...)

Small changes to game balance are never as straightforward as one thinks they should be, either (just ONE example, not definitive, not complete. refuting it doesn't "win" anything. all the really good examples wouldn't be discovered until beta testing after its implemented, anyway, but: do steeds give the player more AP? if not, then how are they "faster"? if they do, then haven't you just made the player into a minor demigod?)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
The biggest problem is probably size. A horse and rider should take up more than one tile. Actually, so should dragons, but a shrunken horse and rider made to fit in one tile would look bizarre. Then again, Jeff managed in A3, so it's possible. I think he's just used to thinking about guys on foot, and that works for me.

—Alorael, who doesn't see why anything hostile would spawn from a killed rider. Many attacks could just as easily kill the rider first, or both.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #16
Also, a stead type creation could take up valuable essence and concentration to control.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Apprentice
Member # 8390
Profile #17
I always thought Glaahks were supposed to double as mounts. They look ridable to me.
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #18
I think they have no mounted creatures because they would be easy to cast terror on to. If a shaper was in the middle of casting a killer spell, all the enemy would have to do is scare his mount. It probably takes a lot of concentration to cast spells and ride horse-like creatures effectively. I thin it would be ineffective to mount guardians just because all the enemy would have to do is get a battle alpha/beta and punch them off their mount.

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Sir Spiff:

I always thought Glaahks were supposed to double as mounts. They look ridable to me.
But think of their attack routine.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #20
The blow of a battle alpha should send any man sprawling but my guardian happliy took on 5 battle GAMMA'S in the geneforge room.

The blast from a Ur-Drakon should INCINERATE an enemy not just make them "flinch" and take 125 damage! They'er supposed to be able to take out an entire city by themselfs AND fly to boot in G3!

Now do you see the error in your reasoning?

--------------------
The force is with ME! I'm not so sure about YOU!

Trust me, you do not want to click this link
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #21
Since we're in a nitpicking thread...

...why are there no bows in Geneforge? Did Batons make Bows (and crossbows, for the matter) obosolete?

As for horses, this never really bothered me... Now that you mention it, perhaps Shapers sometimes simply use their existing creations when they get tired of walking? Sure, this isn't present in the game but I can always tell my Battle Alpha to carry me for a while while I rest. And their scorpion-like tail thingy aside the Glaahk look like they were made to be ridden...

Talking about "riding", a very perverted thought occurs to me.

We know there are female shapers (or male if that's what boils your pot), so has there been any precedent, any rules or such about coitus between shaper and creation? I begin to wonder if this is a problem of any sort and how it's viewed in Shaper society or outside of Shaper society. Are there creations made only for pleasure? I remember that creations are not given the ability to reproduce, but considering that actually shaping other creations (as the Drakons do) means that just parodies of human sexual organs could be made?

Thoughts? :eek:
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #22
Originally by Eugi:

quote:
...why are there no bows in Geneforge? Did Batons make Bows (and crossbows, for the matter) obosolete?
Or thorn batons work so well that bows were never invented. I mean, it's probably a lot easier to carry thorns and a baton than a bow and arrows (although the batons seem to have grown larger in G4). Easier to make? Probably not the batons, but the thorns aren't much of a problem.

Dikiyoba.
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #23
No one in Avernum uses mounts either. Even the Empire troops in Avernum 3 didn't have mounts even though we know that they use horses.
Apprentice
Member # 8390
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

quote:
Originally written by Sir Spiff:

But think of their attack routine.

You needn't ride them in battle. You'd just have to get off during the fight. Or duck.

Pages