What do YOU want to see in G4?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What do YOU want to see in G4?
Apprentice
Member # 5672
Profile #25
I was always quite puzzled of the following thing:
for many years a young shaper apprentice trains
hard, memorizes lots of spells, does lots of routinely shores, blah, blah and blah, and then we start playing the game and in several months this youngster reaches the power to beat up everyone else around. This does not look very realistic in my mind.

What I would have liked, although this seems impossible to implement, while producing the same
satisfaction out of the game, is to start with a completely strengthwise and knowledgewise
grown individual who needs to save the world by going around, talking to people, killing stuff when necessary and making
intelligent choices throughout (and, yes, he has
heard of spawners and can shape gazers in the very beginning). Something like a
shaper from the shapers' council who has an enlightment...

Or, continuing with the stream of absolutely nonsensical ideals, a human karate master/gladiator/king's son (always nice to introduce somebody with connections)
who retired from the wars/pubs/women/men and
came to a deserted island he/she knows nothing
about and one day finds her favourite banzai tree/
wooden stick/weed plantation burned by a gazer/drakon/fiora. Since this was a sole memoty of a longtime dead grandmother, this person wants to get revenge and first finds the creature
and its owner making the last one pay for the damages. While looking for the owner he gets
in the midst of war between shapers, rebels, takers, blood-hungry serviles, drakons and genetically modified ornks, and... the revenge
list keeps getting longer and longer.

Having said this, I hope I am kept at least 10 miles away from designing GF4, when does it come out anyways?
Apprentice
Member # 5712
Profile #26
one thing i would really like to see is cursor change when you are over a monser have the cursor change to a sword, and over yourself to a shield. something like that, or where the first time you click on a space you see a line/mark showing what you are going to do, so that you can change your mind (ie click on what you think is to attack a monster, and see if you are going to attack, or if you would just move to a new location). some way of seeing what the move you are going to do will actually do. i for one get tired of trying to attack a monster, and then accidentally moving next to the monster instead.
a icon shange for the cursor to a sword or spell icon or feet/legs for moving would really help.
Warrior
Member # 5701
Profile #27
Since I am a quest completist, I would like to see the available quests list revamped a bit.

Specifically, keep current/open quests in bold or colored font. And when a quest is completed, don't remove it from the list, but rather mark it completed or in a faded font.

I like completing the various quests, but it does get hard to keep track of which one's I've completed since they disappear completely from the quest log once you finish them.

[ Monday, April 18, 2005 06:47: Message edited by: MacProject ]
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #28
*) A second ring, at least.

#) Be able to equip both missile and melee weapons.

!) More creatures, different creatures. It seems that this world is either bereft of nasty critters (outside of creations and shades, which some have been illegally shaped).

() It makes sense that we begin as a human, or servile. That way Jeff can keep up his leitmotiv of being amazed by the things we see (look a spawner, look a drakon!).

-) Not as much better dialogues (they're alright but could be improved), but make sure that we have dialogue choices according to our actions. An example: If I kill the Serviles in Stonespire, why can't I tell this to Agatha? Instead she goes hell bent on killing them all and the game acts as if she did. Other examples of this type exist in all three games.

%) It seems we're going back to a continent, but if we aren't and we'll have the same structure as GF3, then an easier way to retrace our steps to previous areas.

$) Shops where you can buy back what you sold.

^) More creations.

@) This is a pipe dream and will never, ever happen: be able to export characters to the next game.

)) Another pipe dream: be able to carry our plotline to the next game.

+) And yet another pipe dream: be able to start the game with a party of adventurers.

~) Ignore the last three.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #29
I want to see a new faction that has no incredible respect for Shapers, but is neutral towards them. Most human towns in GF2 and 3 were awed at Shapers, and expected them to solve anything in the blink of an eye. This new faction would say hi and treat you like anyone. But they would assume that they could solve all their problems without Shapers and just solve them. Because of this, they would flourish. They wouldn't trust you if you told them something along the lines of,"I am a Shaper, and you shall respect me and obey me for that." It wouldn't be like the Awakened, because the Awakened are convinced that they are equal to Shapers, but are unsure about Shaper thoughts on it. This faction would try to act equal, and not give a dang about what Shapers think about it, but be unsure if this is the way to go.

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
Apprentice
Member # 5667
Profile #30
Jeff worked hard on GF3 to create a scenario whereby nothing that the player did would have a huge impact on the next game, but I would like the results of this game to be carried over to the next, either way it was played. Perhaps somewhere near the beginning of the next installment, the player can choose how they wanted GF3 to turn out, perhaps just in the course of conversation. This will add a more significnt backstory, rather tahn just "well, some foggy stuff happened and here we are." I hope that makes sense!

--------------------
Whatever happens, happens.
Warrior
Member # 3746
Profile #31
Personally, I'd bet on the outsider human as the next main char.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #32
I could see being an outsider human, but they have said they are unable to create life the way the Shapers can.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #33
More enemys. More items. A bigger game. More early training in creations, like in GF2, unlike in GF3.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
CSM RIFQ
Neopets Do join, it's fun. Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #34
i woudn't mind being an apprentice again if they had new classes like...

Mage Strong at magic ok at shaping ang horrible at fighting (wouldn't go along with me. I play as a guardian but increase my shaping skill big time)

Palidin Strong at fighting ok in magic bad at shaping
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #35
quote:

I could see being an outsider human, but they have said they are unable to create life the way the Shapers can.

Really?

I know that the Sholai can use magic, and it is actually very similiar to shaper magic. I'm not sure about Shaping, though... I don't see why they couldn't. They are humans, and hence have no restrictions placed on them (like the Serviles have, who have been purposely created so that they couldn't shape/use magic. But even that failed).

[ Tuesday, April 26, 2005 04:20: Message edited by: Waylander ]

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Warrior
Member # 2607
Profile #36
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin:

Didn't they create the spawners and turrets in geneforge 1? Weren't the turrets supposed to be difficult to make?

I should go play that again, actually...

As for improvements to GF4: How far can you 'improve' a game before it becomes a completely different game?

I really just hope that it is like the other Geneforge games, and runs on my clunky old computer.

EDIT: Isn't this question just a bit premature? Geneforge 3 isn't even out for windows yet.
And if anyone tells me to get a mac, they'd better be willing to pay for it.

[ Tuesday, April 26, 2005 05:06: Message edited by: Faizah ]

--------------------
1. Forge my Genes, will you!? (attack!)
2. That's all for now. Thanks.
Apprentice
Member # 5667
Profile #37
quote:
Originally written by Waylander:

quote:

Really?

I know that the Sholai can use magic, and it is actually very similiar to shaper magic. I'm not sure about Shaping, though... I don't see why they couldn't. They are humans, and hence have no restrictions placed on them (like the Serviles have, who have been purposely created so that they couldn't shape/use magic. But even that failed).

It's not that the Sholai can't shape, it's that they can't do it legally. You know how jealous the Shaper's are in protecting their secret's; the Sholai in GF1 got the ability to shape by stealing Shaper secrets.

--------------------
Whatever happens, happens.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #38
I wish I could say where I got that from, but I don't know, probably GF1.

In GF1 the Sholai were hiding in a cave where there were turrets, not the cave to the far east. Part of the dialogue was “you are living here with rouges.” They responded, “We don't bother them, and they don't bother us.” Keep in mind this was a Shaper island. The existing creations may or may not have been there before the Sholai arrived. They may have just tamed some of the more docile creations.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #39
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin:

I wish I could say where I got that from, but I don't know, probably GF1.

In GF1 the Sholai were hiding in a cave where there were turrets, not the cave to the far east. Part of the dialogue was “you are living here with rouges.” They responded, “We don't bother them, and they don't bother us.” Keep in mind this was a Shaper island. The existing creations may or may not have been there before the Sholai arrived. They may have just tamed some of the more docile creations.

The first time you see mines and turrets in GF1, I'm pretty sure you get a message saying they look like they were created recently.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #40
More polish. GF3 did some really cool things. But perhaps not enough times. I want real cut scenes not just a walk up to some creature. Less stupid inventory system. Do I really have to click a letter to pick that up? More ways that a guardian could increase shaping skills for money. I usually don't shape but towards the end game that's because I have like level one in all shaping skills. I really like the cold isolated atmosphere of the isle of spears. Some Replication in GF4 would be cool. Portals, a new shaper creation would be sweet, perhaps between major cities. I now if the area is green that's basically what happens. But if you could take a portal far into unexplored lands it it would add an element of extreme exploration to the game.
G OUT.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #41
What problem do you have with the inventory system? I like it a lot, and what would you have instead of a letter to add an item to your inventory? We don't always want to pick up everything on the ground.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #42
The Shaper and the Guardian got a makeover, while the Agent, the most powerful godlike character in the game, got shafted. Same old same old.

That's what I want in G4. A better looking Agent.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #43
Drakefyre-
as mentioned previously (I think in this thread, possibly in another) the complaints about inventory management are mostly about the *complete* lack of keyboard management *except* for picking up items. Given that GF3 pretty much encourages you to carry around various infiltrator items, etc., to switch on and off, it becomes a huge hassle to click move click, click move click five times before and after every door I want to jimmy. That said, for picking up items, once you get up to I and J it's hard to remember which key is which box and I've mistaken the j label for an i an awful lot of times. Click move click is very slow.

What I would envision might be a highlighted item box, which you move around with the arrow keys, and a small command set - d to drop, e to equip, and so on. It certainly wouldn't have to replace the clunky mouse movement, for those who appreciate it.

Of course, this is all nitpicking.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5734
Profile #44
they should make a geneforge online. where players can play with each other

--------------------
need cheat codes or hints visit my webpage. http://www.webspawner.com/users/mikkyo/index.html
Warrior
Member # 5523
Profile #45
i really really really want to play a servile

--------------------
“Medicine, Law, Business, Engineering - These are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But Poetry, Beauty, Romance, Love-These are what we alive stay for.”
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #46
quote:
Originally written by Mikkyo:

they should make a geneforge online. where players can play with each other
Never going to happen. SW doesn't go there.

t Leonard the inability to shape would make the game mind-numbingly boring, I think. The ability to form a creation army is pretty much the only major element that distinguishes Geneforge from Exile/Avernum.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Warrior
Member # 5731
Profile #47
It seems like all of you who want to play a servile or drakon or human instead of a human are missing the best excuse for doing so -- there's a war on people. GF1 and GF2 were both fairly isolated happenings. Sure, if you lived in the area or were part of the shaper council you heard about it, but otherwise?

But now we have an entire continent in flames! Everyone knows at least two things:
1) Shapers ARE NOT omnipotent. There are forces out there that can kick shaper-butt, or at least fight them at an equal level.
2) Creations can exceed the power of the shapers, think for themselves and create new creations. Indeed, the drakons can out-shape the shapers. (though not everyone knows that part).

So now we have a world where instead of growing up in fear/awe/respect of the shapers and their power, you grow up thinking, "eh, they're ok, but I really like those drakon fellas -- they're the top dogs (ornks?) as far as I'm concerned."

Now, as a human, you can go up to the drakons and say, "the shapers killed my parents! I want revenge! Make me your weapon!"
(or to the shaper council and say, "the drakons.... i want revenge and they'll never suspect me! give me some power and i'll take them out")

As a drakon, you can either just join your side and try to pacify the rest of the continent that hasn't been taken over yet, or you can see that the drakons have become just like the shapers and now it's time to change that and get rid of both sides and let people rule themselves (and drakons rule themselves, and shapers... etc) and everyone tries to get along.

(of course, just trying to write the dialogue for this would be amusing when you, as a drakon, walk into a shop to do a little trading --
drakon: "human, give me a GOOD price on that essence pod!"
human: "uggh..." *thunk* passes out.
drakon: "ok, i'll just take this, and this and ...."

I'd actually like to start out as a shaper apprentice in occupied lands. Your mission is now to get to freedom by fighting back to "free territory" or overthrow the local Drakon lord OR make friends (the rebel line) with the local Drakon and help it to overthrow the Drakon lord on his border and become an assassin to try to take out the shaper council.

So now you can actually finish the war. You could either wipe out the shaper leadership and bring down the society from the top, or you could bring down the drakon ruler from where you start and then go after Ghaldring and wipe him out.

(and of course, GF5 can always have an new mighty drakon who was over on the Sholai continent which is, according to the one you meet in Rahul's place, a "long, dangerous journey away" across the sea.

Wow, I'm good. I just laid out the plot not for GF4, but for GF5 as well! :cool:
Jeff, if you need more help, just let me know. :P

[ Thursday, April 28, 2005 05:30: Message edited by: mok ]
Apprentice
Member # 5672
Profile #48
In reply to Moc's idea of GF5 series, I propose the new project called "Geneforge Infinity". For a long time in the history of human race, an alien fleet from a galaxy far away for awaiting the final order to colonize the planet and to populate it with toxic-breeding plant forms, very valuable on inter-galactic trading market. When a human starship Voyager from a parallel universe crushes into the planet, the order finally comes. The geophysical cataclysisms due to the crash and to the initial stages of alien colonization produces hordes of mutations, in humans, shapers and dragons alike. And in the midst of all this crisis and chaos, a university student (I recommend myself as a prototype) needs to obtain his diploma and to get a job at the local shoe-polishing company. His dreams starts coming to life when one of seventeen survivors of Voyager offers him his protection and preparation material for the aerodynamics exam in exchange for the dangerous scouting mission deep into the enemy territory.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #49
I just want an inventory system that allows a single click to pick an item up. That along with the current letter system would be great.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.

Pages