Suicide

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Suicide
Shock Trooper
Member # 4000
Profile Homepage #25
How are you being "tormented"? Insults, or physical harm?

Just wondering, you don't have to answer if you don't want to.

On the subject of school shootings, when did the last one happen? And how often do they happen?

Sorry for my lack of info, but I don't watch the news a lot.

[ Tuesday, March 09, 2004 18:57: Message edited by: Gremlin Chief ]

--------------------
♫ The truth is screaming BIG ♫
♫ A light so bright ♫
♫ Whether day or night ♫
It can't be hid

§ realitycorp@gmail.com §

►► Chance is back online! ◄◄
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #26
I've considered. I've also realized that everyone's considered, and I'm not the sort of person that does things based on everyone else doing it.

Then again, there's also the fact that I like to know pretty much everything beforehand. In other words, if I do off myself, it's probably going to be after the realization sets in that I have cancer, the big purple splotch in the center of my vision wasn't a floodlight, or the Red Army has broken through.

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
Misogynism is the wave of the future,
but it sure pisses the womenfolk off.

Shocking, isn't it?
Lifecrafter
Member # 233
Profile #27
quote:
Then again, there's also the fact that I like to know pretty much everything beforehand.
Ah yes. Not to bemorbid, but I always thought sleeping pills followed by a massive dose of poison would be the way to go. However I found strength in living for my family. They needed me and thats all that mattered. If you can find a reason to live for another day, take it. If not, I wish you the best of luck.

--------------------
I'm just too selfish to be Zen. I mean, once you lose yourself and reach total enlightenment you don't care what the answer was in the first place. Ultimately a few good friends and a bag of Doritos is a better investment.

There is no such thing as an over-active imagination.

Hmm... These games are addictive and quite possibly dangerous. I fear the FDA will start regulating RPGs.
Warrior
Member # 1229
Profile #28
A 12 year old friend of mine tried to commit suicide a while back. She announced her plans to me over MSN - I can't remember ever feeling so powerless as I tried to calm her down via text message.

As a teenager, once in a while I considered suicide, but never seriously. I've always thought the teenage suicide was a bit overrated anyway. I'm convinced that, whatever happens, almost no problem is worth taking my life for.

I'm sorry for your loss, Griffon. IMAGE(frown001.gif)

[ Tuesday, March 09, 2004 19:25: Message edited by: EatAChinchilla ]
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #29
Um. If we killed everyone who pissed us off, there would be no humans. It's not that you'd be dead - it's just that you'd never have been born. If you're serious, you should probably see some kind of psychiatrist. (EDIT: To the bullet guy.)

Anyway. Sauron (that's Griffon, right? Or is it Zephyr? So confused...), I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Remember, nobody wants another to commit suicide, or to have to commit suidide. OK, some do, but very few. Why do they do it? A better question would be, why not? When you think something cruel, as I'm sure you do sometimes, do you automatically think "I'd better not say that, someone might pop themself off because of it"? Most people do not. I get mocked and teased myself; most of it is friendly banter, almost all of it is, and some that is not could be taken as such. Some, I know, is hostile; sometimes it is said specifically to do me harm. This is getting more and more rare as I get older, but it happens. Now, really, do you think that the mockers and teasers say it in hopes that I'll jump off a bridge or shoot myself in the head? I don't. If anyone actually mocks and teases with that intent, they've probably got some pretty serious problems themselves, more serious than anything their target has. Remember that.

...Not that people are right to tease, but it's also not like they're murderers. The other members here have already given enough reasons for suicide.

[ Tuesday, March 09, 2004 19:34: Message edited by: iDavid ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4000
Profile Homepage #30
Ahh, another reason why a person would commit suicide, would be the music they're listening to.

It's true, almost all of the suicidal teenagers have or are listening to suicidal music. Some people did a survey about what the leading cause for suicide was, and I can't remember who exactly, but they said that the music was the main cause.

--------------------
♫ The truth is screaming BIG ♫
♫ A light so bright ♫
♫ Whether day or night ♫
It can't be hid

§ realitycorp@gmail.com §

►► Chance is back online! ◄◄
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #31
Saying that listening to music about suicide causes people to kill themselves is like saying that eating pesto causes people to become gay.

I don't think I'm at any real risk of committing suicide. Sure, I've been severely depressed and wished I could just die at times, but when I'm at that low an ebb I don't have the energy to do anything, even to end my life.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #32
YAP - My post was in no way directed at you. I was objecting to more the idea voiced that those "who want to live, will live". In my opinion, that viewpoint shows a blatant ignorance.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Warrior
Member # 3480
Profile Homepage #33
[ Wednesday, April 14, 2004 15:54: Message edited by: Timber-Wolf ]

--------------------
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
Posts: 169 | Registered: Wednesday, September 24 2003 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #34
There's a difference between mood swings and multiple personalities, you know. In genuine Dissociative Identity Disorder, some of the personalities are unaware of the existence of the others. The personalities are also generally more differentiated than your moods, often being of a different name, age and even ethnicity.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #35
Concerning adolescent suicide ideas:
I recall one 16-year old patient who had taken a huge overdose of some diazepam somewhere in a raised blind in the woods and slept for more than two days before he was found.
He had got bedsore and a palsy in the arm on which he had lain - talked about a mood swing he had had reading too much of Hermann Hesse.
Remarkably, he felt some sort of relief of doing it and surviving - in hindsight, like a Bungee-jumper.
I just thought of it because of the desperate lack of communication mentioned by Timber-wolf no2.
I find it easier to talk to people who have survived some sort of crisis.

So for any potential suicide candidate around here who feels desperate for lack of communication with friends - or worse for lack of friends at all:

Consider whether there is any other spectacular thing that you can do that is not as destructive
as taking your or somebody else's life. I respect that you do not value your own life your independance of the common will to live - it gives you room to put something else important in that place. Could be your family - could be something that you would really grant yourself some respect for. If nothing else helps, maybe start a new life.
Is there not something that you always wanted to do? It might help if you focus on that instead of on yourself. Give yourself another chance.

[ Wednesday, March 10, 2004 02:55: Message edited by: yet another procrastinator ]
Warrior
Member # 4034
Profile #36
This is a deep topic. But thats no reason for me to forget my manners.
Griffon, i'm sorry to hear about you friend. Unfortuantly I can't express my real fellings my typing them out. However I know what your going through.

antisocialdragon, I do know what i'm talking about here as I have lost a friend to suicide, and by saying people are weak I did not mean every person who has commited suicide was weak.
However there are a lot of people who are dragged down by soceity because they have no backbone. It may seem harsh to call someone weak. But its true. Thats why some kids look to their T.V. stars
or their favorite music artist as "gods". They try to act like them to the point of drugs, alcohol and sex. Then when they can't keep up with thier lives anymore, they take it. I know this because I am a kid of 16 years and I have seen it through my peirs.

--------------------
"When one thinks to him or herself about who they really are, They usually come out of it empty handed for the question be -not who am i-, but -what have i acheived?-"

Experimental forum
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #37
Chuck, I don't think I'm going to read your post too closely, because if I did, I might get angry. People get dragged down by society because they have no backbone? I believe it is that kind of thinking that makes suicidal people feel as though they can't talk with anyone about what they're feeling, because they'd be judged as "weak" or "spineless" or "crazy."

And not being able to talk with others about their problems is one of the major reasons that people commit suicide. How many times do we hear, "He never showed any signs of being depressed. We all thought he was just a happy, cheerful person. And then he killed himself. Someone might've been able to do something, if only anyone had known." You know why he didn't tell anyone?

Because he thought he would be judged.

Now, I'm not saying that you, Chuck, are specifically responsible for anyone's suicide. I'm just asking you to read up a little on the psychological texts before you start judging people.

To Timber-Wolf: do you have anyone you can talk to? Anyone you can tell about how much it bothers you when people torment you? It doesn't sound like it helps just to talk about it -- in fact it sounds pretty stupid until you try it -- but sometimes it really does help. I know school counselors are a pain and highly impersonal sometimes... if not one of them, then your parents, maybe, or a friend, or someone on this board, or something? Anyone that you trust will do.

yap's advice is also good, too.

[ Wednesday, March 10, 2004 15:00: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM, newly updated to v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4034
Profile #38
I understand what your saying Keladon.
I might be judging people to harshly. But if you where suicidle would you want someone to say it outright that you are being weak and selfish, or would you want someone to pity you and your problems. That would make me feels worse.
I wouldnt just leave them though. I mean I wouldnt tell them their weak and walk off. No, I would help them the best I could. I would be a strong person thayt they could rely on until they are strong enough to hold their own, but I would not baby them. I would tell it like it is.
I mean, a baby learns to walk by first holding its moms hand. The baby doesnt learn to walk by being carried all the time does it?

-------
Sry Kelandon IMAGE(biggrin0.gif)
-------

[ Thursday, March 11, 2004 05:17: Message edited by: Chuck ]

--------------------
"When one thinks to him or herself about who they really are, They usually come out of it empty handed for the question be -not who am i-, but -what have i acheived?-"

Experimental forum
Infiltrator
Member # 737
Profile #39
New word (?) invented for this post: Suicidalist = Person who commits suicide.

When I was very young, my parents divorsed (sp?). My mother found a new man some years later and me and my mother moved to him (I lived, and live, with both my mother and my father). We lived there for about 4 years, and were relatively happy. One morning we found him dead in the garage. He had hanged himself. We had no idea why he did such a thing (we still don't have). I was very sad, of course, and I still am. But maybe the biggest problem for me isn't the sadness and the fact that I miss him a lot; it's the effect his suicide had on my mind. Whenever I see a depressed or sad person, I immediently think "I hope he doesn't kill himself!". I know that the person most likely won't commit suicide, but that doesn't remove my thoughts. It can be extreamly hard to get rid of such thoughts when you get them. Part of the reasons for these thoughts is probably the fact that I am terrified that someone of my friends or someone of my relatives will commit suicide.

My point is: Suicide is not only bad for the person who commits it, it can (and will) also greatly harm the friends and relatives of the suicider.

When I'm really, really depressed, I concider suicide, but only for maybe half a minute. Then the 'smart' part of my brain kicks in and I realize that even if life sucks right now, it is far better than death.

--------------------
Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #40
Somebody I knew tried to commit suicide when she was maybe 13. Many, many years later she said something like this: "Afterwards I thought of all the things I wouldn't experience or see if I ended my life."

I guess it was at least one important reason why she chose to live.

One who thinks about committing suicide can also become fascinated with the thought of death. It may give you a feeling of power, I think. Some people hurt themselves physically to get that feeling of power.

However, I don't care to speculate on that very much because I have never considered ending my own life.

I wouldn't consider suicidal people weak, anyway, any more than scitzophrenic people for example, or people who get paid less than other people. Depression can be an illness. I've heard it can prevent you very effectively from doing anything, if it's bad. People do not function like machines - everybody has their limits. OK, suicidal people need someone to talk to (and that's something we all need in life one way or another). Still, like we don't treat fever by jogging, I argue that suicidal people usually need more than someone to tell them to get a grip.

EDIT: And I really meant: They need something _other_ than being told to get a grip... like others have pointed out.

I also consider what Kelandon said very important.

[ Friday, March 12, 2004 04:07: Message edited by: Milu ]
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #41
Imagine that I put chains with heavy iron boulders on your feet and your wrists and then ask you to go and move as always and do everything as always. The inner paralysis of depression feels a bit like that, a heavy weight that you have to drag along with you. A depressive person may need all the discipline and mental strength he/she can muster to just get up and wash and dress. Imagine yourself doing that with iron weights, imagine how exhausted you'd be. Imagine you give everything you have not to let anyone notice that the weights slow you down. Then someone comes and tells you to hurry up and get a grip on yourself. Imagine that you do not want to kill that person, instead feel ashamed, because you are obviously week and not as good as they are.

--------------------
Polaris
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #42
Suicide...
The temptation plagues my life...
And I have REALLY hurt myself.
Every waking moment I am in pain...which does not help me. I sometimes hear an extremely irritating ringing, especially when I'm near machinery.
Overall, my life is a miserable heck-hole. So many bad things happen to me DAILY. If there weren't some things which make me happy, I would've commited suicide by now.

--------------------
Entertaining songs !Click here to get to the misc. boards!
Attack, icons, attack!THIS PAGE ROCKS!!
Vicious virus stalks the web, has already infected over 200 computers: read more!
"AH-CHOO!"
-George Washington
Warrior
Member # 3946
Profile Homepage #43
I'm 14, but i have no intention of suicide... i do get picked on, but i just take it, laugh at the morons, and call them pansies. Now i don't get picked on for their prides sake IMAGE(wink0000.gif)

--------------------
For a good time, play these free rpg's, http://www.R-fate.com and http://www.pristontale.com

I'M SPICY!!!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #44
Suicidal people do need pity. They do not need encouragement. They need genuine medical help. Giving them a slap on the back to get going won't do it.

To continue your metaphor, it would be like making a paraplegic baby stand up and walk on his own. Not everyone is capable. Find a pair of crutches and the baby may eventually be able to move himself. Provide words and you're only adding to the problem.

?Alorael, who would again like to point out the fact that somehow mental problems are considered failures while physical problems are considered unfortunate coincidences. Why is it that amputation of every limb is considered a tragedy but amputation of the will to use them is considered shameful?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3801
Profile Homepage #45
I don't think anyone should have to commit suicide. Even if your life is a fate worse than death, suicide is still the coward's way out. The only way forward is through, you should just suck it up and try to get through it. If you think it's the only way out, just talk to people and get help. There are things in life that you can live for. Everything happens for a reason, nothing is a lost cause. Suffering either makes you or breaks you.

--------------------
Only the insane equate pain with success.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #46
I wrote a rather long response to this topic, but just as it was nearly finished, my computer crashed. I suppose I'll summarize:

When an individual cannot stand up to the pressures of the society which he inhabits, why must we blame such an individual for his spinelessness and lack of resiliency? The fact that one must be a sort of steel-skinned, driven, ambitious juggernaut in order to thrive in many first world societies is a black mark on these societies themselves. The cause of progress, which animates societies to instruct their members to work, work hard, and work for the majority of their lives, is in truth the cause of the destruction of the human race and the world. I won't detail the many pitfalls of the progress ideal here, as they're rather evident to any who wish to see them at all. If society as a whole were merely to eliminate all of its misguided goals and aims, and concentrate on the few aims which are actually reasonable and worthy, each of us could do far more good in the world, while working far less.

In terms of suicide and euthanasia, I did express my views on these subjects very early in my time here, and some of them were rather controversial. No point in not throwing them out again, though. I suppose I'll quote a few times from some of my earlier posts, rather than reiterating. These are all in order, by the way, but as they've been taken out of context, they might not make a whole lot of sense.

quote:
I've always thought of poison as being the most sensible way of killing oneself, as one can, by this method, end his life without excessive pain or destruction of outward appearance. Going by the theory of Agatha Christie that "murder is a habit," requesting someone else to put you out of your misery would be a bad idea. The individual carrying out such a request would risk being transformed irrevocably into a homicidal monster.
quote:
There are several rights which we as humans have, or ought to have. The most important of these rights, in my opinion, is the right to live. In fact, I believe in the rights of all organisms to live, but I'll leave my animal rights rhetoric and vegetarianism out of this.
When one kills another human being, one has weakened the quintessential right of all humans to live. It does not matter if the killing is on purpose or an accident. It does not matter if the person deserves to die. It does not matter if it is in self defense. It does not matter if the dead person wished to die. Whenever a human being takes the life of another human being, no matter the circumstances, the value of human life is lowered, ever so slightly. The principle of the sanctity of human life crumbles, little by little.
Many killings are unavoidable. Accidents happen and will always happen. Killing in self defense is excusable. Homicides are terrible occurrences, but are often unpreventable. Suicides can sometimes only be prevented by the suicidal individuals themselves. Vigilante killings are very undesirable, but are occasionally helpful in order to take care of murderers before they can kill many more times. However, whenever possible we should keep the aforementioned principle in mind. Capital punishment is one instance in which there are alternatives available that will not hurt the principle. Euthanasia is another such instance. Though it may seem cruel to say so, those who want others to kill them, for whatever reason, must never be helped. This applies to those unsatisfied with life, those who have become vegetables and had wished to be killed once they reached such a state, and all others as well. In the first assistance, the person asked by the other to kill him/her should always attempt to convince the other to the best of their abilities to seek out medical help for his/her problems. In the second instance, the person should only be killed if recovery is impossible and death is an unavoidable eventuality.
quote:
I admit I am talking in the abstract, but my point is that there is a greater good which is more important that individual suffering. While euthanasia may relieve the pain of the individual, the principle of the value of human life is incontrovertibly damaged as a result. This is not to say that if I personally was in such a situation, I would be able to avoid taking the easy way out. It's just saying that it would be the right thing to do.

quote:
I do not support an actual, real-life law banning euthanasia. My opinions on the subject do not include "forcing" suffering people to live through hours of pain until they can die naturally. If you read my first post on the subject, you will see that I expressly stated that if someone is terminally ill and recovery is impossible, that person should indeed be euthanized. I simply do not support assisted suicide or euthanasia when the situation can possibly be resolved or improved by other means.
In fact, I do indeed believe in choice in the issue. The patient should have the right to choose between a natural death and euthanasia. Rather than enforcing laws to ban euthanasia, I believe in convincing individuals in these positions to choose to die naturally. A person should never be forced either way.
In terms of the principle of the sanctity of human life, that is something that I believe in very strongly. In the real world however, that principle is already on its last legs. A few euthanasias admittedly can do little more to weaken a principle that has already nearly been smashed to bits by the sheer number of lives taken in the many worthless conflicts our world endured last century and continues to endure. But euthanasia does indeed have an effect on the principle, though this effect is largely symbolic. My point is not to make it impossible or illegal for the terminally ill to be euthanized. My sole purpose with these posts is to convey the danger involved in making such decisions based solely on one's individual pain and suffering. No one wants to see a world where a human life is worth no more than the ground he walks on.

--------------------
Stughalf

"The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others."- Theodore Roosevelt, 1903.
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #47
I've probably spent a lot more time thinking about this than is healthy, but the idea that one should endure through pain, even terminal illness, because of some abstract "sanctity of life" is based on some flawed assumptions. For one thing, every person's life is their own. If it has value, that value is theirs to measure. If someone decides they really can't go on, and want out, isn't it cruel to prevent them? Talking them out of it is probably for everyone's best in most cases, but pressuring them into choosing life by telling them that their desire to stop suffering is "wrong" is not.

On a similar note, why is death necessarily an evil? The worst case scenario, and the one that I believe in, is that death is just the end of sensation, like a deep, dreamless sleep. It's neither good nor bad. My life is more good than bad, so I don't want to die just yet, but there's no reason for me not to change my mind if the balance ever shifts to favor unhappiness. If, as most people seem to believe, there is some sort of life after death, then that only makes death better in comparison.

--------------------
It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #48
EDIT: Chuck, for crying out loud, at least spell my name right. IMAGE(tongue01.gif)

Milu, "illness" is exactly the right word in English. Depression falls under the heading of "mental illnesses," which, for those who haven't ever thought about that term before, directs attention to the similarities between physical illnesses and mental illnesses. Anyone can catch a cold, and while certain environmental factors may put one person more at risk than another person, anyone can still get one. Likewise, anyone can become a victim of depression. (Think about that other common phrase. We don't blame victims of murder for their own murder, but we blame victims of depression for their own depression.) And while certain environmental factors may make a person more likely to suffer from depression, anyone can still have it.

Also, Alorael's right about the strange double standard between physical problems and mental problems. And moreover, as neuroscience and psychiatry improve, we're starting to discover that mental problems ARE physical problems... this is why medication can help. Taking Prozac (for example) isn't like drinking alcohol; it actually rebalances chemicals that normally are balanced, rather than dulling the mind and senses for a brief period of elation like most illegal drugs. Taking medications isn't shameful. The reason that antidepressants work is that certain chemicals in the brain of a depressed person, such as serotonin, are not at the same levels as in other people's brains.

Should we really call someone "weak" or "a coward" because their brain doesn't make enough serotonin?

[ Wednesday, March 10, 2004 15:19: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM, newly updated to v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #49
quote:
from Invisible Noob: "This is your fault, you made me kill myself by treating me so badly!"
points to the main reason, why I once attempted suicide, when I was much younger and horribly brokenhearted. As you can see, I failed, and I'm glad about. Would be somehow stupid and cowardly, to miss a whole life according to a silly mood.
There is another argument: You can't escape. If life gives you some special tortures, it means, that you must learn something and go through that depression (or whatever). Because I believe in rebirth, I think, you would have the same mess again and again. Just kill yourself might give you a break - but in your next life, you will come exactly to the point, where you have been already. No escape.
Of course there should be no ethic condemnation on suiciders. You can't say nothing against the wish of old and suffering people for an earlier death than natural. You can't even convict people, who are - not only in a temper - deeply bored by their lifes. I lost several friends by suicide, and I respect their desicion. But it's sad to hear from young people, fleeing life no sooner it began. Most of them don't know what they do. And most of teenage-suicides were not meant so. Probable.

--------------------
^ö^ Vegetarians are sexy.
Solar power is the wave of the future.

Pages