Suicide

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Suicide
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #0
Yesterday, a boy that I knew took his own life, he was 15 years old. I only knew him for a year cause he left for a special school (drug and alcohol problems), but he still left a good impression on me even two years after. IMAGE(frown000.gif)
I just wonder, why do youths at the age of 15 take their own life, and in some cases, why the bloody hell do we mock people, tease them and ignore them so much that they don't wanna live?

It was rather hard to write this, so I hope you have some respect and don't spam this topic full of sheet.

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
for the holy town of gods
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Warrior
Member # 4034
Profile #1
(does not apply to everyone)
Because we are a cruel race, and we are stuborn none of use like being proved wrong.
We enjoy watching people get hurt. Thats why we have shows like Americas Funniest Home videos, or jackass. We also can't stand to see someone different then us so we tease and poke fun at Gays, Nerds, Geeks. Thats why we have in crowds and out crowds in school.
I had a friend that took his own life as well, he was 13 years old. I believe he took his own life because of the lack of care form his parents and brother.
I also new a kid who shot his own brother in the chest with a shotgun. Because they got into an arguement. the wielder of the gun was only 12 his brother was 8 or 9.

--------------------
"When one thinks to him or herself about who they really are, They usually come out of it empty handed for the question be -not who am i-, but -what have i acheived?-"

Experimental forum
Lifecrafter
Member # 233
Profile #2
Because deep down inside we are all suvivalists who have no other interests then success? All I know is pills are the answer to suicidal impulses. For me anyway. Some people are all "it's unnatural to take chemicals to regulate our behavior". O.K., maybe it is. But it's also unnatural to want to die because you're in to much pain to live. And thats all I have to say about that.

--------------------
I'm just too selfish to be Zen. I mean, once you lose yourself and reach total enlightenment you don't care what the answer was in the first place. Ultimately a few good friends and a bag of Doritos is a better investment.

There is no such thing as an over-active imagination.

Hmm... These games are addictive and quite possibly dangerous. I fear the FDA will start regulating RPGs.
Warrior
Member # 4034
Profile #3
Another reason why people take their own lives is because they are weak. They can't stand a single thing going wrong in their life. So they simply end it if something does go wrong. I need no pills to rid my suicidle tendencies. Not that I have had to many. But I believe myself a strong enough person to fight such things. Growing up in the Military helps

--------------------
"When one thinks to him or herself about who they really are, They usually come out of it empty handed for the question be -not who am i-, but -what have i acheived?-"

Experimental forum
Infiltrator
Member # 3776
Profile Homepage #4
Some people get shattered in to pieces with an insult.Leading to sucidal tendencies.

--------------------
Some stupid laws

If it is mine,it is mine.
If I had it a second ago,it is mine
If it looks like it is mine it is mine.
If it is your's and you keep it down,it becomes mine.
If I like something,it is mine
If I see something,then it is mine.

Please click here
Do not visit this Page

Want to visit the misc.boards-This is the only WAY

-Stinging Munster
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #5
Well, the guy I talked about was not the guy to be shatered by insults...

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
for the holy town of gods
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Apprentice
Member # 3936
Profile Homepage #6
I think it's natural to think about suicide at least once or twice during puberty; if you never did, you must have been having an extremely easy childhood and adolescence. People consider suicide either when they see no future for their life (after failing in some important test, for example), or as an accusation - along the lines of "This is your fault, you made me kill myself by treating me so badly!"

I have thought about it several times, but never seriously (and never because of serious problems). But I can imagine extreme situations in which I would strongly consider to end my life. It sounds unbelievable, but it's true.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #7
Among the people I have known to attempt to or succeed in kill(ing) themselves I would have identified three attitudes. At times I have experienced only the first two - fortunately - and there may be more:

1. Facing life and trying to show something to the world, to the friends or parents: Suicide is an ultimate means of forcimng the others to see something so they will be sorry.
If this results in death it is sometimes more of an accident because some prearranged opportunity to be found and rescued in time did not work out.
My impression is that the underlying cause is lack of communication and recognition by the surround. Family and friends can see ir coming and do something about it if they care.
I would not take it lightly and show respect for the person who is threatening to kill him/herself. Tell him/her that ultimately there is no way to force anybody to live - if have had similar thoughts in the past - and show some solidarity.

2. Fleeing life - retreating from some shame, some insult or pain. You do not really want to kill yourself but you get the feeling that you do not have the power to go on and the only way out is death. Taking a step back, sleep and some relaxation help a lot.

3. Taking control of one's own life. There may be many other ways to do this for most of us. But there are situations that make us feel utterly powerless - like e.g. tinnitus a constant ringing in the ears, or other debilitating possibly progressing diseases. Who am I to judge in such a case. Since I have seen a loved one battle cancer over a year, I do no longer fend off if someone starts talking about his/her own death. Instead I see it as a way of sharing some extremely personal
thoughts.

[ Tuesday, March 09, 2004 11:18: Message edited by: yet another procrastinator ]
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #8
Commiting Hari Kiri is a grave act. Unfortunately the instance of it has gone up fivefold in the last twenty years, world-wide. This society that has been created are apathetic, bored and frightened. Twenty years ago, if you saw injustice in the world you could go out and fight to stop it, people like Lennon and Luther King are examples of this - they saw the bad and fought against it. Nowadays we all seem to be growing up with the motto: "One man can't change the world." People are frustrated, they are trapped in whatever situation they happen to find themselves in. Rather than the complaint offered that they could not do anything about it, more true is that they refuse to break with the "social norm" and simply would not do anything.

We are a brainwashed society. Not as obvious as Mugabe's reign of terror and his "training facilities". Instead, it comes from the bottom up, it is present everywhere in our world. We are trained from birth to be subservient to everyone else. How, when faced with this and all of the problems of the world, like plague, war and complete miserable bordom, what would you do? There is really only three options:

1) Following in their footsteps. Personally speaking, I do not prefer this option.

2) Ignore it. Hope it goes away. Yeah, right(!) Such a good idea(!)

3) Break social norm. risk everything, just for the potential of breaking the endless monotony for possibly just an iota of time. Personally speaking, I prefer this, for it may only happen for but a moment, but for that moment you can throw off whatever life throws at you by doing the equivilent of "playing dirty". But for however long it may be, for that time you can truely say that you are free. That you have lived.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
Warrior
Member # 4034
Profile #9
Suicide is a battle of will. If you have a will to live you'll live. If not you'll die one way or another. Its sad to think that are friends or family may or may not have a will to live. I for one am glad that I was raised in a family that has very strong ties with one another. If one of us goes down the whole family does. I'm saying this because I beleive that your family ties are a mayor factor when considering suicide.

--------------------

Experimental forum
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #10
First of all, I must say I don't really feel wise enough to say something meaningsful. And this is only my opinion.

If you seriously think about commiting suicide something is wrong. The idea that my only reason to live is a pill isn't exactly what I would call an inspiring thought but, well, taking pills work. And they give you time. Time to reconsider.

I have never (luckily) understood why people take their own lives. Isn't life, how miserable it may be, better than not living, not feeling at all? Isn't the thought that it always can get better something to carry on for?

As Edith Södergran said, as I remember it:
Faraway perhaps, another land/
a warmer breeze under the palm tree/
But there is nothing more than snow on the branches of the pine/
We should love the moments of life/
as the short moments when the desert blooms.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #11
I, for one, wouldn't dare to speculate why people commit suicides. I don't know anything about them, or why they'd feel the need to die. I can only imagine why I would want to do so.

It's not about how life is so terribly sad and depressing, not how it's so unjustified, or not because I'm so lonely, because no one cares, because no one understands, because no one notices. As a matter of fact, my life's quite fine, all in all. Mostly everyone's is.

It's because life.. RL, so to say, just doesn't stand up to the life I can imagine. My dreams differ from truth quite a lot :/. I'm not dreaming about any sort of paradise, or simply a 'better world'.. no, as a fantasy lover, bookworm and a passionate story-admirer, the world in my dreams is much like it is in many good books. Well... so it doesn't include the wars and magic and conflicts, but it does have the fantasy in it.
I'd be happy to live like a peasant in a dreamworld, or something IMAGE(tongue00.gif) .

But it's not just that, not just my sinful imagination... it's the general angstiness I suffer from :/. Khoth certainly could agree with me on that, he knows me well enough.

Actually, if I tried explaining this any further, it'd get into religion, and.. well, you know what happens to topics about religion.

--------------------
"It won't do any good, Garion. I had you once, and I can take you again any time I want to. You're not strong enough to refuse me." - Asharak the murgo (Pawn of Prophecy, by Eddings)

My Homepage - Geneforge - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #12
I'd like to add loss of hope to your list, procrastinator.

--------------------
Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #13
Loss of hope applies to all three items listed so far -and probably to those that I did not list too.

Did not dare to list suicide bombers...
Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #14
Suicide bombers should be called homicide bombers or, better, murder bombers (that being more visceral). They may come about through a loss of hope, but are too stupid to use a more effective protest.

As an opposite version of the suicider, the paranoid: Nobody loves me, Everyone hates me, and I'm going to do as I've always done in order to make them kill me.

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate except for the fact that they refer to my clone.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #15
I'd just like to show my feeling of moral repugnance for those on this thread who have simply dismissed suicide as a sign of weakness.

We are all different, and so different stimuli affect us in different ways. Some people are so different, that they commit suicide in response to certain stimuli that you or I would think little of. Just because you do not feel this way does not mean other people do not. You are not the benchmark of humanity.

I find it utterly offensive that people will throw around insults of weakness when someone is at the lowest of their lives (an experience, I hasten to add, that you yourselves do not know how you would react to).

I have never seriously thought of committing suicide myself, but I know people who have thought, and one who has indeed done it. I think few on this thread can begin to imagine the despair that these people feel about their lives, and it is not anyone's place to judge them.

[ Tuesday, March 09, 2004 12:00: Message edited by: Morgan ]

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Lifecrafter
Member # 233
Profile #16
quote:
Another reason why people take their own lives is because they are weak.
Wow. I can't even think of any reasonable way to reply to this without using several obscenities. All I can say is how dare you offer that opinion when you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Also, telling people who are severely depressed to "cheer up" is one of the most ridiculus things you can do.

--------------------
I'm just too selfish to be Zen. I mean, once you lose yourself and reach total enlightenment you don't care what the answer was in the first place. Ultimately a few good friends and a bag of Doritos is a better investment.

There is no such thing as an over-active imagination.

Hmm... These games are addictive and quite possibly dangerous. I fear the FDA will start regulating RPGs.
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #17
The husband of an old friend of mine killed himself last year. It was and still is very shocking.
I felt very angry about it to begin with, and have rationalised it by saying he had an illness that killed him, something like cancer.
Anyway, it's a subject around which there is a lot of raw emotion, so please be sensitive in what you post.

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
Shock Trooper
Member # 3801
Profile Homepage #18
A close friend of my neighbor killed himself a few days ago. I live on an island so everyone knows everything about everyone and it's not exactly hard to not keep a secret. It was sad too because he was the one who designed the skate park for the kids who live here. It was without warning too.... no anger or any starnge behavior. It always just pops up like that. If only they would communicate their feelings with other people then they could get help.

--------------------
Only the insane equate pain with success.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Morgan wrote:
You are not the benchmark of humanity.

I have not read any post in this thread in which I could remotely recognize a any claim to the benchmark of humanity.
Are we not trying to help each other understand suicide by exchanging different points of view and experiences as far as we can face past experience, and insights into our own nature.
There is no doubt in my mind that this well help us to avoid rather than promote suicides.
Let me apologize for us all in case anybody has offended anybody else - up to now I am sure that is nobodies intention.

I do not understand what Morgan means by "weakness" - aside from the moral repugnance that is a personal reaction which we may try to understand in a second step.

Take the statement:
"Suicide as a sign of weakness"
What meaning does this have without context.
Weakness can mean all kind of things, and maybe there are contexts where moral repugnance may be a remedy. I know none. Tell me.

The statement reminds me in its categorical nature of "We are all sinners." in that it says more about the speaker's own frame of mind and system of values than about anything outside the speaker.

The context that comes to my mind is the memory of a loved one of mine who was weakened by her disease and felt too overwhelmed to carry on with her life. She felt forgotten by her God and doomed to live on far beyond ninety. She begged her children to kill her.
If she had taken some lethal overdose, would that have been out of weakness? I think so.
Would it have been humane to tell her: "That is morally repugnant!" I do not think so.

Please help me to understand!

[ Tuesday, March 09, 2004 15:38: Message edited by: yet another procrastinator ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
It's no more weakness to die of suicide than to die of cancer. Societally we view psychological problems as somehow the fault of the one who is sick, while physical problems are clearly bad luck. That's idiocy, especially when so many of our mental illnesses are caused by physiological situations, hormone imbalances, and other problems clearly not purely mental in origin. Claiming someone is weak because they die of depression is like claiming someone is weak because they catch pneumonia. If they had stronger lungs, they wouldn't have, obviously!

Personally, I would categorize someone deciding to die after a long illness differently. That's not suicide from depression, that's suicide to avoid clear, irreparable physical pain. Depression can often be treated. Terminal illness in old age cannot. Choosing euthanasia is not weakness, nor do I view it as morally repugnant.

?Alorael, who looks at it this way. If someone has a festering, gangrenous, unsalvageable limb, it is amputated. Nobody claims that it is best to leave the limb on as long as possible. In a physically ruined, agonizing life, the same is true.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #21
So far, nobody that I know of has tried to or has commited suicide. That might be a good thing. Heck, what am I saying, that is a good thing! But I ask this question...who has never contemplated suicide or ever thought about doing it? Everyone has tough times, everyone WILL have tough times, some people are just not to willing to accept those tough times and battle them. Why? Do they not have any hope? Where does the hope come from? Who gives hope?

What's the whole point of life? To live, to die, and then what? You're going to die anyways, so why not just do it now and end the suffering a bit earlier?

I'm not going for suicide here, but I'm asking the typical questions that most people would ask.

Anyone know the answer?

Oh, and some lyrics by P.O.D. - Youth of the Nation:

Last day of the rest of my life
I wish I would've known
Cause I didn't kiss my mama goodbye

I didn't tell her that I loved her and how much I care
Or thank my pops for all the talks
And all the wisdom he shared

Unaware, I just did what I always do
Everyday, the same routine
Before I skate off to school

But who knew that this day wasn't like the rest
Instead of taking a test
I took two to the chest

Call me blind, but I didn't see it coming
Everybody was running
But I couldn't hear nothing

Except gun blasts, it happened so fast
I don't really know this kid
Even though I sit by him in class

Maybe this kid was reaching out for love
Or maybe for a moment
He forgot who he was
Or maybe this kid just wanted to be hugged
Whatever it was
I know it's because

[chorus:]
We are, We are, the youth of the nation

Little Suzy, she was only twelve
She was given the world
With every chance to excel

Hang with the boys and hear the stories they tell
She might act kind of proud
But no respect for herself

She finds love in all the wrong places
The same situations
Just different faces

Changed up her pace since her daddy left her
Too bad he never told her
She deserved much better

Johnny boy always played the fool
He broke all the rules
So you would think he was cool

He was never really one of the guys
No matter how hard he tried
Often thought of suicide

It's kind of hard when you ain't got no friends
He put his life to an end
They might remember him then

You cross the line and there's no turning back
Told the world how he felt
With the sound of a gat

[chorus]

Who's to blame for the lives that tragedies claim
No matter what you say
It don't take away the pain

That I feel inside, I'm tired of all the lies
Don't nobody know why
It's the blind leading the blind

I guess that's the way the story goes
Will it ever make sense
Somebody's got to know

There's got to be more to life than this
There's got to be more to everything
I thought exists

[chorus]

[ Tuesday, March 09, 2004 15:56: Message edited by: The Adept Erudite ]

--------------------
Chance Forums
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #22
On the other hand, I remember working night shifts in an internal medicine ICU and being faced with a woman in her thirties who had taken rat poison (Do not do this, ever!). It had been her third or fourth attempt and whenever she was awake, she would tell us that our efforts would be to no avail. It was her life and she wanted to take it. None of anybody else's business...

I remember angry feelings - being overstrict in changing infusions or measuring blood pressure in regular intervals during the night.
I feel ashamed of that now.
It was my own anxiety about questions which this patient forced me to face.
R.I.P.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #23
I agree with you, Alorael. Severe pain, be it physical or other, is terribly exhausting. If there's no relief, then sooner or later you reach a point where what strength you had is spent.

--------------------
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 3480
Profile Homepage #24
suicide

[ Wednesday, April 14, 2004 15:53: Message edited by: Timber-Wolf ]

--------------------
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
Posts: 169 | Registered: Wednesday, September 24 2003 07:00

Pages