What Kinds of Girls do you Like?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What Kinds of Girls do you Like?
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #50
Abstinence rings? Dear god. IMAGE(What Kinds of Girls do you Like (3)_files/tongue.gif)

I think the 'no sex before marriage' movement is terrible, personally. It denies an important part of a relationship, can drive a wedge between non-married couples, and often results in pants-marriages, which end once one party or another realizes that marrying into someone's pants isn't all that great.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #51
To each man his game.

I don't approve of it, though. It's not evil but very natural.
Lifecrafter
Member # 585
Profile Homepage #52
It is actually sort of silly, if I do say so myself. My girlfriend (At the time, no prize for guessing why that relationship didn't last) told me they cost $11. Yes, that's one rich fundie getting rich. If you're going to make that choice, why buy a ring to show it off?

[ Friday, February 13, 2004 11:58: Message edited by: Logalot^2 ]

--------------------
The many faces of Logalot
--------------------
Polaris Roleplaying and Debating Board- 'Nuf said
--------------------
Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.
George Bernard Shaw
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #53
quote:
Originally written by Full Frontal Nudity Custer:

Abstinence rings? Dear god. IMAGE(What Kinds of Girls do you Like (3)_files/tongue.gif)
?

quote:
I think the 'no sex before marriage' movement is terrible, personally. It denies an important part of a relationship...
Postpones, not denies. It just slows the whole process down a bit, and puts different priorities first.

quote:
...can drive a wedge between non-married couples...
It shouldn't. If both parties agree to no sex before marriage, and love each other for things other than proficiency beneath the covers, why should there be a wedge? And sex isn't the only way of physically expressing love.

quote:...and often results in pants-marriages, which end once one party or another realizes that marrying into someone's pants isn't all that great.[/quote]I think many 'no sex before marriage' people feel that their religion is keeping them from sex, which is wrong; if they disagree with their religion, why should they be part of it? I believe in no sex before marriage for reasons other than that the Pope doesn't want me to, or a preacher advises against it. If all 'no sex before marriage' people felt the same way about it, this would not be a problem.

Anyway, aside from that, why do you think that those who are against pre-marital sex would marry for the sex any more than thse who are experienced would? It seems to me that many divorces are caused by people marrying because their partner is good in bed; that fact obscures their vision, and they don't see their spouse clearly until later.

Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd really prefer to be a married father, not an unmarried one. Abstinence is the best way of preventing pregnancy. And STDs, for that matter.

EDIT: Logo: fundie? Not necessarily. Also, why wear a cross, or a Star of David? It's a matter of pride, I think. The money probably goes to some pro-abstinence program, too, so if you're pro-abstinence, it wouldn't be wasted money. Also, it could help to discourage people seeking a sexual partner, and might help you to meet new people who feel the same way abotu pre-marital sex.

That doesn't mean I'm going to buy one, though.

[ Friday, February 13, 2004 12:27: Message edited by: Sir David ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #54
Abstinence-only programs have been shown in several studies to have a failure rate of at least 60%. In addition, youth who went through abstinence-only programs and broke their pledge are substantially less likely to use protection -- if you've made a pledge that you're not going to have sex, you're not about to be carrying around a condom in your wallet.

Sex is an extremely important part of a relationship, and I think postponing sex until after marriage is foolhardy. People should only get married if they know each other completely, and that includes sexuality. To use a rather crass but apropos analogy, you don't buy the car without taking it for a test drive.

I believe abstinence is a primary cause of divorce, unhappy marriages, and domestic violence. In addition, abstinence-heavy sex ed programs result in ill-educated youth. Such programs should be excluded from public school teaching as soon as possible.

--------------------
You are my precious thing
Thing of speed and beauty,
As long as you remain beneath me
-- Big Black
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #55
quote:
Originally written by Sir David:

quote:Originally written by Full Frontal Nudity Custer:

?
The concept distresses me.

quote:I think the 'no sex before marriage' movement is terrible, personally. It denies an important part of a relationship...[/quote]Postpones, not denies. It just slows the whole process down a bit, and puts different priorities first.
I could see this kind of nonchalance used towards things like shared bank accounts, but sex is a hardwired thing. Some would say it's the motivating force for all human behavior at some level, and I'm inclined to agree. To extend the car analogy more than it deserves, people who worry more about flat tires than broken brakes don't come out of things too happy.

quote:...can drive a wedge between non-married couples...[/quote]It shouldn't. If both parties agree to no sex before marriage, and love each other for things other than proficiency beneath the covers, why should there be a wedge? And sex isn't the only way of physically expressing love.
Fair, but I'm talking about a situation in which one partner or the other doesn't want to rush into things w.r.t. marriage, but would be perfectly fine with sex beforehand. I'd consider someone who forced abstinence on someone else for 'moral' reasons to be a heel, no two ways about it. (And as for the 'she/he can always walk away if she/he doesn't like it' card, I would remind the reader as to the concept of love, on which much of western society is ostensibly built.)

quote:...and often results in pants-marriages, which end once one party or another realizes that marrying into someone's pants isn't all that great.[/quote]I think many 'no sex before marriage' people feel that their religion is keeping them from sex, which is wrong; if they disagree with their religion, why should they be part of it? I believe in no sex before marriage for reasons other than that the Pope doesn't want me to, or a preacher advises against it. If all 'no sex before marriage' people felt the same way about it, this would not be a problem.
I suppose not, but think about it: if you're using lack of sex as an incentive to get married, aren't you more likely to get married, even if not only for the sake of getting into bed with someone, at least before having thought *everything* through? When and if I commit to a permanent relationship, I don't want to divorce her after a few months or spend years living a lie because I married for the wrong reason, or because I didn't think everything through.

Anyway, aside from that, why do you think that those who are against pre-marital sex would marry for the sex any more than thse who are experienced would? It seems to me that many divorces are caused by people marrying because their partner is good in bed; that fact obscures their vision, and they don't see their spouse clearly until later.

Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd really prefer to be a married father, not an unmarried one. Abstinence is the best way of preventing pregnancy. And STDs, for that matter.

I doubt I'll ever get married, even if I do settle down with someone. I don't want to leap through legal hoops to break off a relationship if it doesn't work any more. The only time at which I would get married is whenever I'm absolutely sure nothing is going to go wrong with the relationship.

EDIT: Logo: fundie? Not necessarily. Also, why wear a cross, or a Star of David? It's a matter of pride, I think. The money probably goes to some pro-abstinence program, too, so if you're pro-abstinence, it wouldn't be wasted money. Also, it could help to discourage people seeking a sexual partner, and might help you to meet new people who feel the same way abotu pre-marital sex.
That doesn't mean I'm going to buy one, though.

Bully for you IMAGE(What Kinds of Girls do you Like (3)_files/tongue.gif)

I find abstinence-ed horribly irresponsible, BTW. You don't tell someone, "Never, ever do this, ever." You tell them, "This is what will happen if you do do it, this is why you shouldn't do it yet, when you feel like this you shouldn't do it, and when and if you do decide to do it, this will mitigate any damage that happens." States that provide only the former tend to have much higher rates of teen pregnancy, teen STDs, and teen AIDS than the states which principally rely on the latter.
[/quote]

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #56
I'd agree with Djur. If your parents or religion want to tell you that you might like to abstain from sex before marriage, that's fine. But a government should, whilst pointing out some of the risks involved in pre-marital sex, tell you the best way to go about it should you make that choice.

Since a condom is nearly as good as abstinence (provided it's put on properly) and requires less in the way of willpower, people ought to be educated in how to use them first and foremost.

I wouldn't personally go for unprotected pre-marital sex, however. Getting a kid whilst you're still in full-time education is not going to do you any favours and I've got serious concerns about the wisdom of handing on my genes to a child.

I find it interesting that a good sense of humour is a near universal requirement. Many adolescent males will admit if you talk to them in groups of other adolescent males that that tends to come second to physical attractiveness (although that's where lust is concerned, whereas you can't really love somebody properly without knowing their personality, love at first sight just being a recommendation from the genitals.) That's not what interests me. It's natural to want to hide your semi-barbaric viewpoint, particularly if you think it'll improve your chances. What I find interesting is the definition of a good sense of humour. It's such a malleable term that you can apply it to most people and if you psyche works like mine, apply it to them in an attempt to convince yourself you're their perfect partner.

As per the Ambrose Bierce quotation, cynicism has a slightly more romantic nature below it. I reckon I could fall in love with most women given time and like the vast majority enough to stomach some form of relationship with them. I'm not that judgemental on appearance (although I'm not that keen on bad acne,) as much through self-consciously low standards as general tolerance (since my appearance hovers between haggard and scruffy and my looks are forgettable at best.) When it comes to conversation, I'd consider that any woman sincerely talking on my (half sincere half affected) wavelength to be bordering on mentally ill and a frightening person and I'm a great believer in the power of ulterior motive.

To summarise, I'm what you'd class as desperate if I was bothering to look.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #57
Those who promote pre-marital abstinence should never label masturbation a sin. That is all.

[ Friday, February 13, 2004 15:35: Message edited by: A Stughalfian Principle ]

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #58
quote:
Originally written by Full Frontal Nudity Custer:

quote:Originally written by dareva:
I like tall men, as I'm tall myself. I like average to big guys, though I rarely end up with them. Well-groomed appearance is always a plus, but a little bit of scruffiness isn't bad. He definitely should not be obsessed with his own looks. I prefer dark-haired men. I like intelligent men with decent senses of humor. A guy who is good at something and likes to teach other people about it definitely can be attractive. He should be fairly serious, but willing to cut loose and be silly every now and then.

*starts to raise eyebrow, but breaks into convulsive giggling halfway through*[/quote]Well, then...how tall are you? IMAGE(What Kinds of Girls do you Like (3)_files/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
But I have never known or heard of anyone in real life who has said, "Yes! My goal in life is to be a brainless follower of obnoxious people!"
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #59
Six foot eight... IMAGE(What Kinds of Girls do you Like (3)_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #60
Ooooooh.

--------------------
But I have never known or heard of anyone in real life who has said, "Yes! My goal in life is to be a brainless follower of obnoxious people!"
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #61
To be fair, I'm quite a bit pudgy, my hair is brown, and the first word that comes to mind to describe my personality is 'strident'. But hey, I'm tall. IMAGE(What Kinds of Girls do you Like (3)_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #62
At times, tall, strident, pudgy, brown-haired guys can be in high demand.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #63
I'm rather partial to Rumanian looks. Dark hair, grey eyes, muscled but not bulging. (Having said that, my boyfriend is about as far from this physical ideal as it's possible to get, and I wouldn't change him for the world.) At least as intelligent as I am, able to put up with my idiosyncrasies - because if he isn't, he's likely to run screaming from me within the week. Other than and including that, it's all about personality. And that is too complicated a thing for me to describe.

quote:
Full Frontal Nudity Custer:

The only time at which I would get married is whenever I'm absolutely sure nothing is going to go wrong with the relationship.

That is an unrealistic expectation. People change, feelings fluctuate, tempers rise. Even the most perfect of soulmates can have a serious argument.

[ Friday, February 13, 2004 21:00: Message edited by: premonition ]

--------------------
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant fins the slumbering green.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #64
premonition: I'm pretty sure that was Alec's point. :-p

--------------------
Thing of speed and beauty,
As long as you remain beneath me
-- Big Black
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #65
About marriages to get into someone's pants: There is evidence (found by fundamentalist Christians, incidentally) that fundamentalist Christians are more likely to get divorced than the average person.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #66
What's Chick's position on date rape drugs?

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Warrior
Member # 3897
Profile Homepage #67
quote:
Your mother. That's who I'm after.
HA HA HA HA HA! Why is it that that sort of thing makes me laugh.

Oh dam. I spent so much time reading most of this stuff that I forgot what I was going to say.

Stop talking about sex before marriage though. It's a completely different subject. We were talking about what sort of girls people like.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I remember what I was going to say. The reason that there are all these people not in relationships is because most of the girls think they're too good for everyone else and most of the blokes (myself included) are UGLY! UGLY! I bet I've offended everyone now, but that's what I wanted to say. I think. I'll shut up now.

--------------------
The most pointless site in the world!

Why did the chicken cross the road?

George Bush's answer:
We don't really care why the chicken crossed the road. We just want to know if the chicken is on our side of the road or not. The chicken is either with us or it is against us. There is no middle ground here.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #68
quote:
Originally written by You know who this is:

Stop talking about sex before marriage though. It's a completely different subject. We were talking about what sort of girls people like.

Some members stated that they would be most interested in girls that were willing to abstain from sex until marriage. From this, a bit of a debate ensued. It's not all that off-topic, though, so there's no need to blow the whistle.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I remember what I was going to say. The reason that there are all these people not in relationships is because most of the girls think they're too good for everyone else and most of the blokes (myself included) are UGLY! UGLY! I bet I've offended everyone now, but that's what I wanted to say. I think. I'll shut up now.

Perhaps some of the girls here are snooty, and some of the guys are physically unattractive. But one's degree of effectiveness in attracting members of the opposite (or same) sex, as well as maintaining these relationships after they have been formed, is not merely dependent on such considerations. Other factors, such as charm, attitude, personal carriage, and intelligence, seem, for many girls, to be at least as important, cumulatively, as physical beauty in terms of what they look for in a man. In terms of what the majority of men look for in a woman, physical beauty is almost certainly at the top of the list. The other factors, however, are still of undeniable importance. In terms of maintaining an existing relationship, compatibility and flexibility are the most important attributes.

From my own experience, my lack of success at attracting girls has very little to do with my degree of physical attractiveness, and everything to do with certain traits of mine. Although I'm not conventionally handsome, don't shave nearly as often as I should, and am rather scrawny, most people I know find me to be rather good looking. Unfortunately, I lack the ambition and determination needed to break through my natural shyness around attractive women, and hold any more than a standard conversation with one. My inability to flirt, or to make the first move in asking a girl out, often seems to prevent me from making conquests one would think would be within my power to make. So, as you can see, you've hardly given the complicated nature of an all-too common situation the justice it deserves.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #69
Yes! If someone is shy, which is my problem, it's very difficult to acquire a significant other. Until someone discovers that it's possible to ask someone out by telepathy, people like me are just going to have to either live our lives in loneliness or get our courage up somehow.

There's also the stealth method of trying to insinuate yourself into the life of a crush, but that leads to embarrassment and possibly criminal charges. Or so I've heard.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3801
Profile Homepage #70
quote:
If someone is shy, which is my problem, it's very difficult to acquire a significant other.
And me also, I'm a very shy person. I hope someday I'll be able to scrape up the courage to ask someone.... (sigh)

[ Saturday, February 14, 2004 14:16: Message edited by: Syntyrael ]

--------------------
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Take a chance at the Chance Forums!
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #71
Shyness can look like snootiness most of the time, as well. I have found that a lot of people thought that I was sort of snooty until they got to know me.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #72
Well, most likely she would have to be blind .... and deaf ...... and have no sense of touch ..... possibly she could get away with a sense of smell .... and a sense of taste ..... so if she has all those qualities im in with a chance BOOYA!

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
Warrior
Member # 3897
Profile Homepage #73
quote:
Yes! If someone is shy, which is my problem, it's very difficult to acquire a significant other. Until someone discovers that it's possible to ask someone out by telepathy, people like me are just going to have to either live our lives in loneliness or get our courage up somehow.

There's also the stealth method of trying to insinuate yourself into the life of a crush, but that leads to embarrassment and possibly criminal charges. Or so I've heard.
Lol. IMAGE(What Kinds of Girls do you Like (3)_files/smile.gif)
All the girls I know are chavs. Or they're VERY strange, with slight phsychotic tendancies.

Besides, I'm generally looked upon as a fat ugly retard, so theres no hope for me IMAGE(What Kinds of Girls do you Like (3)_files/frown.gif)IMAGE(What Kinds of Girls do you Like (3)_files/frown.gif)

*foghorn*

EDIT: A Stughalfian Principle, how many pages did your comment take up? Couldn't you have written anything longer? lol

[ Sunday, February 15, 2004 07:00: Message edited by: You know who this is ]

--------------------
The most pointless site in the world!

Why did the chicken cross the road?

George Bush's answer:
We don't really care why the chicken crossed the road. We just want to know if the chicken is on our side of the road or not. The chicken is either with us or it is against us. There is no middle ground here.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #74
How come is 17 lines too much?

--------------------
- The Great Mister

Pages