Wow (G4)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Wow (G4)
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #0
It looks great!

The Kyshakk looks like a 3rd tier fire creation, kind of like an upgrade of the roamer. A very deadly upgrade.

I think Jeff decided to use the Shaper G3 ending because it says that the Shapers are winning the war.

Is the hunched over PC in the first 2 shots a servile. The serviles will have a whole new look if thats one. It seems to be a guardian type PC that uses melee.

In the 3rd shot the PC appears to be some kind of Agent character, an Agent that uses shaping instead of melee, or acaracter that is well rounded and doesn't specialize in anything.

Is the monster in the 3rd shot, ahead of the glahk a golem? A battle alpha? Or, a new creation.
Warrior
Member # 7223
Profile Homepage #1
Looks awesome.

--------------------
Polaris

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
- H.P. Lovecraft
Apprentice
Member # 7162
Profile Homepage #2
what does?
what are talking about?

--------------------
Dikiyoba is a god.
Warrior
Member # 7223
Profile Homepage #3
Right here.

The new creation looks good, it seems like we have a new graphics for the classes, and the plot sounds good.

EDIT: And it looks like the AI is getting better to. Notice the "Creation ignores you and goes for your leader" text?

EDIT2: I have many speculations. I'll post after the conversation starts up.

[ Thursday, June 22, 2006 11:55: Message edited by: Elijah ]

--------------------
Polaris

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
- H.P. Lovecraft
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Bobby Pendragon:

The Kyshakk looks like a 3rd tier fire creation, kind of like an upgrade of the roamer. A very deadly upgrade.
It's obviously not a 3rd tier creation because the PC runs into one for the first time at level 8. Also, in the second picture, the PC has exactly 100 coins, indicating that it is so early in the game that the PC hasn't even had a chance to pick up or spend any money.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #5
The creation has a multi-hit 90 damage attack. Thats better than a drayk. Its very possible that the other fighters take care of the creature and you do nothing.

EDIT: Nevermind, I don't think it has a multi-hit attack, but I have a suspition that striking it at close range damages you.

[ Thursday, June 22, 2006 12:14: Message edited by: Bobby Pendragon ]
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
Originally by The][Editbreaker:

quote:
It's obviously not a 3rd tier creation because the PC runs into one for the first time at level 8. Also, in the second picture, the PC has exactly 100 coins, indicating that it is so early in the game that the PC hasn't even had a chance to pick up or spend any money.
How did you get that the PC is at level 8?

It looks like the game will cost $3 more than normal, but that's easily worth it if the gameplay holds up to the promise.

Though I'm fairly sure that the Enemy Kyshakk should be described as "a huge, stocky reptile," and not as "a huge, stucky reptile."

Dikiyoba will have more to say after Dikiyoba manages to completely ponder the news.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #7
The message box tells you leveled to level 8 in Shot 1.

[ Thursday, June 22, 2006 12:30: Message edited by: Bobby Pendragon ]
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #8
EDIT: Beaten to it...

Hmm, looks like we need a new features summary. Heres what i've spotted:

- New creation! The Kyshakk, which presumably shoots electricity from its teeth, is greenish in a different form (see Rivergate Keep shot), and is a shaper creation.
- New PC's, like the two shown in the Screenshots, possibly Melee and Mage?
- New frame around the page (which was to be expected)
- Avernum style "?" marks on the Mini-map, to easily locate shops, etc...
- Some creation animations are updated, like the golems.
- New health metre? Bars next to the PC are different. So is the potion symbol + Question mark.
- Trees show up as green on the minimap
- Two places where text appears now, in the box, and over the map.

PS: Why is the human shown as the PC on the Rivergate Keep shot, but the Shaper is selected instead? And what was that crystal rod was at the bottom of the Rivergate Keep box? A healing rod?

[ Thursday, June 22, 2006 12:40: Message edited by: Inthrall ]

--------------------
"When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Inthrall:

PS: Why is the human shown as the PC on the Rivergate Keep shot, but the Shaper is selected instead?
I suspect that the human's graphics aren't done yet and so Jeff is using a Shaper graphic in the meantime.
quote:
Originally written by Inthrall:

And what was that crystal rod was at the bottom of the Rivergate Keep box? A healing rod?
I think it's a healing wand also.

--------------------
quote:

BANNED
Member # 7248
Profile #10
dude guys these are DEBUG PICS!!!!!! numbres and stuff should not be taken is if rela numbers!!!!!

--------------------
EDIT except for my sig.!
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #11
Sorry, but could you clean that up a bit, I can't understand you.

--------------------
Pass the sauerkraut and chips please.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Ghost of Starman:

dude guys these are DEBUG PICS!!!!!! numbres and stuff should not be taken is if rela numbers!!!!!
They're very early screenshots. However, there's a lot of things that we can tell will probably make it into the game right now. For example, the Kyshakk wil probably be a new creation that can be made. We can see what kind of graphics the new PCs will have.

It doesn't matter how early we get the graphics. You might as well ask us why we speculate at all.

--------------------
quote:

Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #13
Early pics often have unpleasant stuff that will be fixed later. I will try to redo those later to be closer to reality as I get more art.

The automap will also look nicer.

The kyshakk is one of the three new creation types in Geneforge 4. I have also revamped the secondary creations types to hopefully make them more interesting. For example, some creations will be unstable. They're much stronger, but they rapidly decay after they are created.

I'm working on the 31st area today, btw. It's coming along.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #14
Can you give hints as to what the other new creations are? :)
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #15
Interesting. BTW does G4 take place inland like G2 or is it more like G3 with all the islands? Oh and I assume G4 is also set in a more inhabited region of the world, major cities and such.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #16
From the description text it appears to be mainland like GF2. With the plague of monsters it might have elements of Avernum 3 *shudder* (recycled plot).

It looks like you will be a rebel guardian or agent at the start. There should be some shaping ability later on in the game.

Jeff implies that since you are a rebel operating in Shaper territory that more stealth is needed or get used to having several saves over different areas. You get the choice of switching to the Shaper loyalist side and there is the other path he mentioned in earlier posts.

Yes! Intelligent targetting by the AI. No more counting on the meatshields to suck up damage for you.

[ Thursday, June 22, 2006 21:03: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
BANNED
Member # 7248
Profile #17
but then byebye battleeeeee creationisms

--------------------
EDIT except for my sig.!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #18
Kyshakks look sexy. I wonder if they're shapable.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Bobby Pendragon:

The message box tells you leveled to level 8 in Shot 1.
If you are talking about "Debug: Tyrol alert level up to 8", that has nothing to do with your character level. It's a debugging message that probably has something to do with creature scripts or towns, depending on whether "Tyrol" is an NPC or an area name.

quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

... I have also revamped the secondary creations types to hopefully make them more interesting. For example, some creations will be unstable. They're much stronger, but they rapidly decay after they are created.

I'm working on the 31st area today, btw. It's coming along.

- Jeff Vogel

Unstable creations sound like a fun new mechanic. Does "working on 31st area" mean that the game is more than 1/3 done?

[ Friday, June 23, 2006 09:13: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #20
I remember Jeff saying there would be fewer areas so 31 might be closer to half done.

Unstable creations means that you can get a boost in attacking ability, but the creation will only be around for a few areas before they will need to be replaced. No more keeping it around to level up throughout the game. It will require more planning on how to take advantage of the tradeoff.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #21
This is looking good.

Is the res up? The screenshots are 1024 by 768, and to me the sprites look a bit leaner, which is good.

The premise that the Shapers are winning, but you start as a Rebel, is not at all what I was expecting. I rather thought that the Shapers would be on the run, and that if you weren't playing a Shaper, you'd start as some sort of neutral, a Servile or a Sholai or something. But this idea of Jeff now seems brilliant to me. The basic idea of the apprentice Shaper encountering the rascally rebels was indeed getting old, but turning it around interests me again. Now I really want to see what the rebels look like from first level; before you were always 20th or so by the time you really met them.

And the other cool thing is that it's really the Shapers that are the most interesting part of the world; they have the history and culture and the unknown number of tricks up their sleeves. The Rebels have had a partially built Geneforge, and that's really it. So making the Shapers the enemy, at least by initial default, means that you're heading into Shaper territory, and finding out more about Shapers. Since discovering Shaper culture was one of the most interesting parts of the game for me, anyway, even when I supposedly was a Shaper, I think this should work very well.

The indication that monsters will have a variety of tactical programs, such as hunting leaders, looks very interesting. So does the cryptic reference to "alert level 8". It sounds as though Jeff is building a system whereby guards, etc., can gradually become more suspicious of you, depending on what you do. Maybe alert level 0 is the 'dopey guard' ignoring you completely, and alert level 10 is actively hunting you down, like those nasty Servile hit teams in Benerii-Uss. So perhaps there will be a substantial strategy involved in stealth, as opposed to just pumping Mechanics and Leadership.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #22
"The basic idea of the apprentice Shaper encountering the rascally rebels was indeed getting old,"

That is a very kind way to put it. About a month into Geneforge 3, I slapped my forehead and went, "Wait! I'm doing this AGAIN!?!?" It's one of the disadvantages of designing mostly alone.

A lot of stuff in Geneforge 4 is changed around.

"So does the cryptic reference to "alert level 8". It sounds as though Jeff is building a system whereby guards, etc., can gradually become more suspicious of you, depending on what you do."

Another debug thing I forgot to take out. In Geneforge 4, a creature notices you when you are close enough to it for long enough. Creatures have different thresholds for when they "see" you. It should make stealth work a lot better.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #23
Kyshakks, decaying creations, stealth; most interesting post by Jeff there; GF4 is sounding better by the minute.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

That is a very kind way to put it. About a month into Geneforge 3, I slapped my forehead and went, "Wait! I'm doing this AGAIN!?!?"
Whoa. I'm sure Terror's Martyr would love those lines.

Anyway, Geneforge 4 looks very promising, to say the least. By the way, would you mind making the very-high-level creations (eyebeasts and such) available a bit earlier in the game, so that they would actually be useful? (other than for clearing the two über-hard areas there are in each Geneforge game, I mean.)

[ Sunday, June 25, 2006 05:26: Message edited by: The Lurker ]
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00

Pages