Avernum 5 Early, Early Notes

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 5 Early, Early Notes
Warrior
Member # 43
Profile #25
Hurrah!

Now--for a plot that doesn't squeeze you along like toothpaste in a tube?

I didn't mind the limits on where to go/what to do in Exile/Avernum 2's first chapters, but from the return to the ToM on, it was very open. The first game was completely open (except for the whole 'go here too soon, you get whomped' aspect), and there was a sense of wide-openness in game three, even if there were certain lines that had to be drawn straight. A4, OTOH, felt so constrained 'do not deviate from plot, straight lines only'.

Being more free to wander around in squiggly lines w/o getting one's nose whacked with a paper for being a bad puppy (so to speak) ... that's probably my top wish.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #26
You know, I've sometimes wondered why there are never any Vahnatai PCs. I figured that by BoA we'd probably have them available to play as characters, but it didn't turn out that way.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Nemesis:

You know, I've sometimes wondered why there are never any Vahnatai PCs. I figured that by BoA we'd probably have them available to play as characters, but it didn't turn out that way.
According to Jeff, "the Vahnatai will never be PCs because they're supposed to be alien and incomprehensible to humans."

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #28
Yay boats!

quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

"Now all that's missing is secret passages. Wall bumping plz!"

Nope.

Okay, fine. As long as there are secret passages in some form... Nature/Cave Lore triggers, or maybe just Luck. They definitely added to the atmosphere of previous Avernums in an amazing way.

quote:

One of the nice things about setting a game is the underworld is, dude, there are always more caves. :-)
Yay! That's what I had been hoping for.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #29
quote:

"Now all that's missing is secret passages. Wall bumping plz!"

Nope.

The new area is up a certain remote river (visited in early games but not Avernum 4). The obstructions in it were cleared by workers sent by the king to reach new areas for Avernum's growing population. There are predictable problems arising from this, but they aren't the main focus of the plot.

One of the nice things about setting a game is the underworld is, dude, there are always more caves. :-)

- Jeff Vogel

Hmm now where could that be?
;)

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #30
But... but... I didn't kill Rentar, I let her go!
quote:
Vahnatai will never be PCs because they're supposed to be alien and incomprehensible to humans.
This is exactly why they would make great PCs. It would be a whole new game, right?

Edit: I hated secret passages. It pains me to think of how much content I may or may not have missed just because I didn't run face first into every single wall in the game.

[ Friday, December 08, 2006 16:23: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #31
Sometimes death is the best thing for a character's development. Let them become history.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #32
Stop saying that! It's not official, and I will not believe it until it is. By the way, Rentar was legendary before Erika was even born!

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #33
quote:
Originally written by *i:

Sometimes death is the best thing for a character's development. Let them become history.
I wonder if this would work for ET?

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #34
quote:

The new area is up a certain remote river (visited in early games but not Avernum 4). The obstructions in it were cleared by workers sent by the king to reach new areas for Avernum's growing population.
Good! This is what I was hoping for. I'm glad.
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Here's something Dikiyoba is wondering. Dark Waters of A2 and Exodus both follow a river full of waterfalls downstream. How do people ever travel upstream?
Exodus also has a bunch of land routes for backtracking, which you do a fair bit in the scenario (going from Nakhtha back to the first Camp by land, for instance). Presumably merchants during the height of the slith empire would have gone overland bypassed the waterfalls both ways, since going down a waterfall is fine and good for adventurers, but it's not as good for someone laden down with goods for sale and money.

Still, the difficulty of passing helps to explain how the cities lost touch with each other and became independent as the empire collapsed. It's not so easy to get from Thassaka to Vasskolis that it would be inconceivable that the two cities could lose contact.

I assumed in Dark Waters that people didn't travel upstream all that much. It seemed a pretty isolated and difficult passage, and I don't remember if there was any reason to believe that people had ever gone down or up it very frequently.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Synergy:
I wonder if this would work for ET?
quote:
Randomizer:
ET - you'll probably fade away into obscurity and be lost for all time when Jeff purges the board to make space for Geneforge X and Avernum 11.
Apparently not.

Besides, that would make me a martyr, and there can only be one, true martyr...

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #36
ET - you can die and be forgotten without becoming a martyr (except in your own mind).

Getting to explore an adjacent area will allow for starting characters to build up before getting into trouble. Of course this ruins my idea that we start off as surface tourists with no really useful skills going off the beaten track.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Then she must have been crushed during the cave-in. Or another band of adventurers followed right behind you and killed her. :P

quote:

Stop saying that! It's not official, and I will not believe it until it is.
Tullegolar... She's gone. She's gone, Tullegolar, and there's nothing you can do to help her. I'm sorry for your loss. Here's to hoping you find love again someday.

This touching message is sponsored by: :P

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #38
quote:
Originally written by Mysterious Man:

Hey Jeff, will you put me in your next game? I'd love the recognition. The name is Ty.
Now there's no more mystery. Time to change your nick.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #39
Originally by Nioca:
quote:
quote:

Then she must have been crushed during the cave-in. Or another band of adventurers followed right behind you and killed her. :P
It was the GIFTS. They were afraid they were going to lose their status as the most loved and despised creatures in Avernum, so they killed her.

quote:
quote:

Stop saying that! It's not official, and I will not believe it until it is.
Tullegolar... She's gone. She's gone, Tullegolar, and there's nothing you can do to help her. I'm sorry for your loss. Here's to hoping you find love again someday.

This touching message is sponsored by: :P
Dikiyoba sees the board has finally converted you to our snide ways.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #40
Can I get a quick re cap for the ending in Avernum 4? I didn't register it.

I know Rentar did it, and these Darkside Loyalists are bad, but is there anything else important?

[ Friday, December 08, 2006 19:33: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #41
The main quest, you have the choice as to whether to kill Rentar, let her escape, or convince her to go back to her people for judgment. Canon seems to be that Rentar dies at the end.

The Darkside Loyalist leader, the optional side quest, escapes.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #42
quote:
Originally written by *i:

Canon seems to be that Rentar dies at the end.
What makes you say that? Until Jeff uses the word 'dead' she could just as easily be alive in the Vahnatai lands. Just because she is not making an appearance in the next game proves nothing.

--------------------
You lose.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #43
Towards the end of beta testing, I mentioned that I was glad that Rentar was gone, because she had been a problem in Blades scenarios (people bringing her back to have her final revenge, but the scenarios really sucked). Jeff had this to say: "In canon, she is dead. DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD. In Avernum 5, people will talk about how seriously, seriously dead she is."

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #44
I don't believe you.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #45
I was kind of hoping for Geneforge-esque multiple-ending vagueness.

"Nobody has heard from Rentar-Ihrno for a while. Not since she made a mess of Avernum a few years back. Hank says a bunch of adventurers killed her, but I heard from Fred that they handed her over to some other vahnatai for justice. I'm just glad she's not here anymore."

—Alorael, who can live with DEAD DEAD DEAD too. Now Avernum has a huge power vacuum, though. Without Garzahd, Erika, or Rentar, all the major players are lacking in stupendous mages. Solberg is nice and all, but he isn't the kind to move mountains.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #46
One question about boats: are we talking Avernum style boats (yay), or Geneforge 3 style boats, which have to be one of the few Spiderweb inventions I completely and totally despise?

quote:

By the way, Rentar was legendary before Erika was even born!
Technically, Rentar was only asleep before Erika was born. But seriously, the implication of what the Olgai Council and other Vahnatai say in E/A 2 is that Rentar was not legendary -- she wasn't even the most powerful Vahnatai mage extant.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #47
quote:

Tough. I deliberately beat her without Erika's help to avoid killing off Erika. Canon still has her dead. :(

Besides, the "judged by her people" has its own implications.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #48
I always got the impression that Rentar-Ihrno was merely a tolerated presence put into good use by the Council, and that she only rose to power in the vacuum that would have occurred after Glantris-Bok died.

Hmm...
Boats = :)
Elevation = :)
No wall bumping = :(

Would it be too much to ask for an expansion to the spell library? I mean, it's a little underwhelming when you end the game with powerful arch-wizards and fighter-priests who only know twenty spells apiece.
And while discussing spells, what's wrong with a few novelty spells? Who doesn't like using Sticks to Snakes just because they can?

Let's see... as for actual speculation....
A4 brought back area of effect spells.
Now... will A5 bring back field and wall spells?

--------------------
The Silent Assassin wonders if there will poison again.
Specifically, rat poison; as one of his food grenades misfired in the lab last night and has brought the neighborhood's rodent population to our back door.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #49
I think simplicity is a virtue with the spell library. Although I would like to see a greater number of scripted monster special spells.

--------------------

Pages