Avernum 5 Early, Early Notes

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 5 Early, Early Notes
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #75
It's all a matter of which tower we visit, Aydin's or Erika's. I'd be excited to see either one.

—Alorael, who would like to know what happened to Aydin. Most of the powerful mages from earlier Avernums are explained in A4, but Aydin has only an answering machine in A2 and nothing after that.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #76
Aydin? Do you mean Aimee?

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #77
Both. Aimee was in the east, and Aydin was in the west.

But Aimee didn't have a tower, I think, and she may have been mentioned in a later Avernum and therefore is accounted for.

[ Monday, December 11, 2006 15:09: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #78
Aimee leaves something for you in Avernum 2 and gets some mentions, but doesn't appear after A1.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #79
I was confusing the two. I remember Aydin's Tower, but I also have a false memory of talking to Aimee there and then getting her message and gift in A2 there.

—Alorael, who now can't remember if Aydin ever reappears or gets any recognition. An A2 mention would be logical, at least.
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #80
Aydin's Tower was in the west part of the Northern Islands, Aimee's was in the east. Aimee's tower wasn't a town you could enter, just a special. Aydin's tower was COMPLETELY destroyed when the Empire invaded and Aimee's was demolished to make way for the Hall of Records. Both Aydin and Aimee are present or mentioned in A2 but not after. :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #81
Originally by Alorael:

quote:
—Alorael, who now can't remember if Aydin ever reappears or gets any recognition. An A2 mention would be logical, at least.
In A2, he and Josie are imprisoned in the Empire Archives.

Dikiyoba thinks that learning the fate of these mages is a good reason to vote for A5's new setting to be in the Northern Islands area.

Edit: Typo.

[ Monday, December 11, 2006 18:36: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #82
I had this thought some time ago, but it wasn't until I went through my notes recently that I now bring it up. Now bear with me.

With a space as big as the surface, who's to say that there was only ONE PORTAL! They gathered all the people to be sent down all into one portal? That's nonsense! There must've been at least 2 per continent, AT LEAST. With that in mind, could there be other places people were sent? Places inhabited that we have not seen or heard about? :confused:

What do y'all think about this in relation to the upcoming Avernum 5? :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #83
quote:
Originally written by Arch-Mage Solberg:

With a space as big as the surface, who's to say that there was only ONE PORTAL! They gathered all the people to be sent down all into one portal? That's nonsense! There must've been at least 2 per continent, AT LEAST. With that in mind, could there be other places people were sent? Places inhabited that we have not seen or heard about? :confused:

Actually, they would probably only need three, if that was the case. I don't think Valorim would have had a portal yet, since it was only just settled in the time frame of A3, and the teleporting stopped shortly after A1.

However, it's a definite possibility.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #84
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

quote:
Originally written by Arch-Mage Solberg:

Actually, they would probably only need three, if that was the case. I don't think Valorim would have had a portal yet, since it was only just settled in the time frame of A3, and the teleporting stopped shortly after A1.

However, it's a definite possibility.

Valorim was probably settled near the time the portals were shut down. I do agree with you on the number of portals though! That would make two portals going to other places than the Avernum as we know it.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #85
I find the whole "wild frontier" aspect of Valorim overdone. It's got large cities and plenty of towns. It has roads everywhere. It has ancient ruins! I think people have been there for a century at least, and there's definitely no way everything from Delis to Blackcrag could have been settled in the few years between the Empire War and A3.

I agree that there must have been many portals into Avernum, but they probably all dumped into the same terminus. Finding more than one exit would take more work, not less, and the Empire isn't keen on the comfort of its rejects.

—Alorael, who now can't remember what, if anything, came of the various mentions of the nephilim having a separate portal into Avernum in A1. This is just his day for not remembering.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #86
quote:
Originally written by High on HEX:

I find the whole "wild frontier" aspect of Valorim overdone. It's got large cities and plenty of towns. It has roads everywhere. It has ancient ruins! I think people have been there for a century at least, and there's definitely no way everything from Delis to Blackcrag could have been settled in the few years between the Empire War and A3.
Alorael, this is the Empire you're talking about here. Besides, the portals were shut down before the Empire War. Also, I'm not sure if you noticed the lack of grand citadels and fortresses. Blackcrag had nothing on The Castle. Finally, how long did it take them to build a gigantic, nearly impenetrable wall around most of Footracer? A month? If they can pull that type of feat off on fairly short notice, I think they had the capability to settle Valorim in a fairly short timespan. Don't forget, there were only a few cities that could be considered major in Valorim. Most of them were small villages or trading posts.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #87
quote:

I agree that there must have been many portals into Avernum, but they probably all dumped into the same terminus. Finding more than one exit would take more work, not less, and the Empire isn't keen on the comfort of its rejects.

—Alorael, who now can't remember what, if anything, came of the various mentions of the nephilim having a separate portal into Avernum in A1. This is just his day for not remembering.

Ah, yes the cute little kitties. I do remember something about them having a portal.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #88
Actually with the power requirements to reach that far underground their were only two portals. The prisoner one to Fort Avernum and the military one that led to the base near the Abyss. Now surface portals between the continents were probably more common and not just by Ernest. However because of the military applications to transport armies they were probably kept under wraps.
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #89
I meant what I said to be thought in relation to the upcoming release of A5! Let's just say that there are two portals carrying people to the caves. The FIVE get sent down one portal and help maintain order, while the other one gets noone and everyone ends up being like bandits (like the Cult of the Sacred Item). It would be like Avernum but in reverse. In Avernum, the good live in cities and towns while in the bandits hide. In the other place the bandits rule and the good are hiding! :cool:

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #90
For some reason, the idea that Valorim was considered settled with the defeat of the Ratbane clan.

Aha: "You find an interesting book: The Early History of Valorim, Vol. 1, by Zaft. When the Empire turned its mighty eye to the continent of Valorim, it was settled only by fierce, mindless nephilim and similar monsters. The tale of the Empire's taming of this savage continent is a long and exciting one! The first settlement in Valorim was Blackcrag Fortress, a mighty fortress at the north end. The early building of this fort, which provided a safe place for settlers and a supply depot, was the key to the destruction of the nephilim tribes. From this stronghold, settlers were able to establish the Keep of Tinraya, the largest and mightiest city in Valorim. The Keep's mighty walls and limited access makes it the Empire city safest from attack. From the Keep, lightning raids by Empire Dervishes were able to devastate the mighty Ratbane clan of nephilim. This cleared the way to the founding of Gale and Lorelei. The tale of the taming of the southern half of the continent will follow in Volume 2, coming soon."

This tell us nothing about when it happened, though. But we know that Valorim already had a fair number of cities for a while before it was considered "settled."

[ Monday, December 11, 2006 20:52: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #91
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Actually with the power requirements to reach that far underground their were only two portals. The prisoner one to Fort Avernum and the military one that led to the base near the Abyss.
Those are two exits (plus one more for the nephilim), but who knows how many entrances there are? On the other hand, there may be one big central portal down to Fort Avernum with many smaller portals from all over the Empire that go send prisoners to the banishment portal.

There was a two year gap between the portal's closing and the Empire War and then 12 more years until A3. That's not enough time to settle Valorim! The Empire might use magic to build its major forts, but I think even province capitals are likely to be plain old stone. There's no indication that the construction is unusual in the games, and there's no uniform style (Lorelei stands out!) to indicate a common origin. Even Krizsan, presumably the last city to be setled because of its location, is fairly large and bustling. Even with magical help, it would take decades for settlement to reach that far south unless every town started with only one family.

—Alorael, who checked the Encyclopedia Ermariana and discovered that Valorim is home to about 10 million humans, most of whom are second and third generation settlers. That indicates somewhere between 50 and 75 years of settlement, and to him personally it reinforces his lack of faith in the EE.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #92
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

There was a two year gap between the portal's closing and the Empire War and then 12 more years until A3. That's not enough time to settle Valorim!
Why not? Avernum was settled in approximately 10 years (767 IE for the first people, 777 IE when Avernum was established), and it's probably only slightly smaller than Valorim.

quote:
More by Alorael:
The Empire might use magic to build its major forts, but I think even province capitals are likely to be plain old stone. There's no indication that the construction is unusual in the games, and there's no uniform style (Lorelei stands out!) to indicate a common origin. Even Krizsan, presumably the last city to be setled because of its location, is fairly large and bustling. Even with magical help, it would take decades for settlement to reach that far south unless every town started with only one family.
How is that so unfeasible? There's a good chance that multiple expeditions were made to Valorim. Otherwise, even if they were settled for 75 years, there's probably a low chance that it would be at it's level of development that is present in A3.

quote:
Alorael's Gimmick:
—Alorael, who checked the Encyclopedia Ermariana and discovered that Valorim is home to about 10 million humans, most of whom are second and third generation settlers. That indicates somewhere between 50 and 75 years of settlement, and to him personally it reinforces his lack of faith in the EE.
Either that, or the Valorim settlers breed like erotomaniac bunnies.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #93
It is stated in the game in various places that Southern Valorim (a.k.a. Krizsan) was settled fairly recently. I don't have the references here. I settled on approximately 813 for the EE timeline date, and I know I relied purely on solid canon for that number.

One of the amusing things about that is that it means Silvar in Exile was founded earlier than Silvar in Krizsan Province.

"Why not? Avernum was settled in approximately 10 years (767 IE for the first people, 777 IE when Avernum was established), and it's probably only slightly smaller than Valorim."

Um, Avernum was not SETTLED in ten years. The date the Kingdom was founded probably has more to do with either rallying Avernite troops to fight, or the effects of early military victories against Grah-Hoth and the sliths.

[ Tuesday, December 12, 2006 08:58: Message edited by: Everything Remains To Be Done ]

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #94
Kel:

quote:
Wow. I'm actually excited about Spidweb games again. I was mostly sticking around for BoA, but GF4 has gotten such good comments on the boards, and Nethergate 2.0 sounds like enough of a good thing, and A5 sounds so promising, that I'm genuinely looking forward to playing these games. It was getting kinda depressing in there around GF3 and A4, but I like the way things are turning now.

You know, I've never actually played any of the GF games. Perhaps I should. I did do the Nethergate demo, but didn't buy the game (and regretted it enuf to almost do so, but now I will wait for the new version). Yaa for BoA.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #95
Avernum is much smaller than Valorim, much less densely settled, and much more wildernessy. And since Avernum-Silvar is supposedly named after surface Silvar, I think the timeline can once again be put down to Jeff not thinking too hard about it.

—Alorael, who can live with loose timelines. It makes the EE a little messier, though.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #96
quote:

And since Avernum-Silvar is supposedly named after surface Silvar, I think the timeline can once again be put down to Jeff not thinking too hard about it.
Do we actually know that for a fact? The passage I recall about that was just the party speculating about the possibility. It's possible they're both named after some famous person or something.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #97
Long John Silvarrr!

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #98
Or there's a Silvar on another continent and both of the ones mentioned were named by people from the other Silvar! :cool:

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #99
The only line connecting the Silvars in the games is this one:

"You enter the village of Silvar. Coincidentally, Silvar is the name of one of the largest cities in Exile. Who knows? Perhaps it was founded by a homesick person from here."

The timeline is fairly solid on these points, so I think it is safe to conclude that Silvar the Avernite city was not named after Silvar the surface village.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00

Pages