Avernum 5 Early, Early Notes

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 5 Early, Early Notes
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #200
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

Just a minor point, but what exactly is an "epic" battle?
I think that's why I brought up unique enemies. Since I cheat, the only way I can distinguish battles from one another is by who I'm fighting. An epic battle for me is not one against a powerful monster, but one against an actual character, even something as simple as a name will do. The better I know them, the more of a pleasure it is to destroy them. That's epic for me.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #201
As much as I dislike agreeing with Lego, well... I kind of do. There were enough seemingly-random monsters in A4 that I found myself wanting to know what their stories were... like the jewel-encrusted spiders and the ice demon near the Tower of Magi (not the one under Patrick's Tower).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd like their stories. :P

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #202
I actually liked having unexplained enemies. A few of them seemed like they needed slightly more justification than they got, but Avernum should be a place full of inexplicable creatures, and not all of them should eventually get any explication.

—Alorael, who thinks that works better with animals and shades and such than with humanoids and demons. Anything with intelligence and an obvious ability to communicate should do so enough to make their existence intelligible.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #203
Oh, that reminds me. Please don't make any fights that involve a difficult boss splitting into four difficult bosses, where you have to find the real one. *shutters slightly at the thought of the Spire Fortress Fight*

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #204
Nyah, next time make it more. Just because that bandit did it as well and the Vlish in Geneforge 4.

It beats the monsters that change form and completely reheal so you have to start over again with a different damage type.
Apprentice
Member # 8158
Profile #205
I am suprised having read this thred that with JV havig said that the PC in A5 are going to be complety difertet no one has mentioned this:

slsahDot

articale.

--------------------
For those wonderig about the login it's because I have been reading the bords off & on for 5 years.
I'd tell you why I didn't register soner but then I'd have to kill your computer.~Serously
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #206
Actually, that article has been brought up not once but twice.

[Edit: Tags need to be properly] formatted

—Alorael, who didn't get the sense that Jeff will be changing anything in A5. He just thinks that Jeff wouldn't necessarily want to play A5 if it were made by someone else. On the other hand, he has also enjoyed the Spiderweb stat setup and doesn't have any objections to killing more goblins/bandits/nephilim/sliths/plagues/vahnatai to gain more levels to be more awesome.

[ Friday, February 23, 2007 10:13: Message edited by: Lolling About ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 8176
Profile #207
quote:
Originally written by KnowledgeBrew:I want to be able to buy a house to store all the quest items and recipe ingredients.
Is the best feature of A3.I hope than JV use it again.I use the Hawke Manse and the House on a hill lots of times it makes the game funnier a lot.

--------------------
The revenge is only a wild way of justice.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #208
It was quite funny, but not enough developed yet, I think that Alchemy should come back, instead of paying someone to make potions for us. Also, what happened with Skribbane?
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #209
Now, now newbishness will only go so far as a bad English excuse. If your native language isn't English, then you're in the clear. Same with Dyslexia. You might try faking those.

The houses were excellent. The Sims 2 Expansion: The JV Chronicles.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #210
quote:
Originally written by Dr. Strange:

Now, now newbishness will only go so far as a bad English excuse. If your native language isn't English, then you're in the clear. Same with Dyslexia. You might try faking those.

The houses were excellent. The Sims 2 Expansion: The JV Chronicles.

Exactly who are you addressing? I understood all the posts made in this thread recently. Okay, having perfect spelling and grammar is nice, but don't jump anybody not dotting i's and crossing t's properly, please!

In fact, Nalyd, I think when you are about to post, you should look at what you just typed, and if it's nothing more than saying "Write in perfect English or die", then you probably shouldn't post it.

Right. I don't want to see any more crafting in Avernum. I hate it in GF, mainly because I think I'm missing out on something...

Also, bring back houses! I loved this in E/A3, although given the setting for A5 it may be difficult...

And I must be the only person who couldn't care about alchemy. All I ever use are energy elixirs anyway, and I don't care whether or not I make them or buy them.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #211
Originally by Nikki:

quote:
And I must be the only person who couldn't care about alchemy. All I ever use are energy elixirs anyway, and I don't care whether or not I make them or buy them.
Same here. All Dikiyoba ever used the skill for was for an occasional graymold salve.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #212
I like the Avernum 4 alchemy system. After all, why should your adventureres be able to do everything on their own? Sages are already going out of business now that items identify themselves, lets not screw over the alchemists too.
quote:
Originally written by Nikki:

I hate it in GF, mainly because I think I'm missing out on something...
Are you a secret doors advocate? Because those make me feel like I'm missing out on something. At least you can always cheat and find recipes in the hintbook or on these boards.

--------------------
You lose.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #213
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Originally by Nikki:

quote:
Same here. All Dikiyoba ever used the skill for was for an occasional graymold salve.

Same here, and I find it ironic that Dikiyoba agrees, given her alchemocentric role in the scripts.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #214
Actually, I do love hidden doors. I'm replaying Nethergate at the moment, and still finding new things (Well, actually one new thing. :P ). I think losing them was one of Jeff's biggest mistakes.

The crafting thing just seems, a bit pointless. In fairness it's a bit like Tully's argument about alchemy. It's a bit daft to expect that from a list of four things a totally inexperienced NPC could make a shiny belt or something. I mean, could you make me a rocking chair if I said you needed wood, nails, a hammer and a saw?

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #215
But do you think that rocking chair will be a powerful weapon or a useful boon?
Using herbs to make potions are good idea when giant demon looks hungrily at you.
Swords and arrows too, would help you a lot .

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #216
Usually the instructions are a bit more detailed than that. Artifact instructions tend to say things like 'prepare this ingredient by grinding it up andmixing it with this one, then apply it to the final one.' I think they make sense, and they're fun, too. If you'd prefer it were like the other Geneforeges and you'd have to take the items to and expert, I'd be fine with that, too.

But nothing is fun about secret doors. I don't understand why you say you don't like missing things when it comes to crafting but you're fine with secret doors, at least one of which you haven't found until just now. Imagine all the other things you may have missed, and may never find.

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #217
I see your point. And so it can't totally be about missing things, because then you'd be right.

I don't know.

Maybe it's 'cus secret doors were a part of the games when I started playing? And usually they make lots of sense, like the faery in the Hollow Hills in Nethergate, who wants privacy.

The recipes just seem, I don't know. Like the were tacked on...

And for somebody who is supposedly good with words, I'm having difficulty explaining this. Maybe I just don't like them, and don't have a good reason? Let me get back to ya. :P

Oh, and upon mars should be uncanned for the above post. Just because he actually amde me giggle :P

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Pages