Avernum 5 Early, Early Notes

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 5 Early, Early Notes
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #175
Sounds great! You know, I think the lack of outdoors wouldn't have bothered me at all if it were entirely new areas. It was the strangeness of having Silvar and Cotra ony a few city-sizes apart that made Avernum feel cramped. A game area that was technically the same size but that was supposed to represent a smaller area would have been fine.

—Alorael, who now has to keep hoping that A5 will take place primarily somewhere new. Remaking Avernum proper has to be getting boring by now!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #176
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

I will, however, keep the roamer icon as a clawbug, though, because I think it looks cool.
I know you used the roamer icon as the hellhound and the clawbug as the chitrach, but what do you mean by using the 'roamer icon as a clawbug?'

--------------------
You lose.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #177
The chitrach icon was, thank god, replaced with a new one someone on the boards designed in the later (I want to say 1.02, but I think I'm making that number up) releases of A4. Chitrachs were bad enough without looking like clawbugs.

Hallelujah to a number of Jeff's comments, especially the one about no pylons. And I agree with Alorael about the seamless world. If it's a new area, it wouldn't be so bad; the caves of Exile simply weren't designed for those kind of maps and don't lend themselves to them well. To pick one example from the games, Upper Exile would work okay, I think.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #178
Upper Avernum wouldn't work that well either. However a series of caves where we don't have pre-existing expectations about scale would be fine for a seamless world.

I know most of you hated them, but I liked the multi-level Honeycomb. That would be quite believable for a new area type.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #179
I didn't mind the Honeycomb either, but I, probably like you, grew up on old-skool dungeon crawlers, of the kind that nobody who didn't grow up on them can tolerate.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #180
quote:
Slarty:
And I agree with Alorael about the seamless world. If it's a new area, it wouldn't be so bad; the caves of Exile simply weren't designed for those kind of maps and don't lend themselves to them well.
I totally said that before Alorael. Or are you just afraid to say you agreed with something Emperor Tullegolar said?

Pylons: I'm glad there won't be an army of them anywhere. I probably wouldn't have minded one or two guarding some kind of mysterious vahnatai treasure, though.

Elevation: I'm pretty sure there isn't a single person out there who is thinking "Elevations are coming back? Damn it!"

Honeycomb: I think the Avernum 5 honeycomb was the most accurate representation of a cave in the whole series. In real life, caves aren't all on the same plane like Avernum is, they go up and down and all around and whatnot.

Personal Note: Still no official word saying Rentar is dead. I am, of course, not saying she should be a major character, but I still want her to be alive and with a cameo! I still love you, Rentar!

--------------------
You lose.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #181
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Elevation: I'm pretty sure there isn't a single person out there who is thinking "Elevations are coming back? Damn it!"
One proviso: elevation is a fine thing as long as the way things are displayed is tweaked so that being behind a hill doesn't mean you can't see a damn thing around you.

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #182
Moving to a new area, and with a fresh plot, should work well with the new engine. I think a fair number of A4's limitations came, directly or indirectly, from using an engine that had received a lot of development through the Geneforge series, to pick up a plot and setting that were leftover from the old engine. A lot of things kind of got modulated into a weird key, so to speak. Not just the scale; even the heavy emphasis on combat was, I think, a matter of a suddenly much-upgraded combat engine burning a hole in the pocket of the plot.

But in fact I really liked A4, doubtless because I was almost entirely new to Avernum when I played it, so I'm really looking forward to A5. Adding height would be the coolest factor, I think. And then maybe that can be translated over to G5 when its turn comes.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #183
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:
Originally written by Me:

One proviso: elevation is a fine thing as long as the way things are displayed is tweaked so that being behind a hill doesn't mean you can't see a damn thing around you.
I should have known Thuryl would find a way to complain.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #184
The other problem with the old elevation system was that sometimes adjacent enemies couldn't be selected. You could key in one target to be added and have one that was already selected become removed. This seemed only to happen when both were on a slope.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #185
quote:
viii. I plan to include full keyboard support. You'll be able to target and do talking with the keyboard.

My favorite upgrade.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #186
Wow... just, wow. Thank you Jeff!

Elevations, keyboard support, elimination of all things Geneforge, shiny new graphics... this is sincerely a good day!

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #187
quote:

Honeycomb: I think the Avernum 5 honeycomb was the most accurate representation of a cave in the whole series. In real life, caves aren't all on the same plane like Avernum is, they go up and down and all around and whatnot.
No -- the most accurate representation of caves was back in Exile and Exile II, when the combination of frequent written descriptions with undetailed gaphics meant you had to use your imagination.

Anyway, like Thuryl and Randomizer, I grew up on those old school dungeon crawlers, but I never liked that element of them. Regular 2-D mazes are one thing, but including lots of ups and downs just turns navigation into a headache without actually making it any more interesting. It's just taxing.

I mean, who truly enjoyed the 32 x 32 x 10 labyrinths of the old Wizardry games?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #188
The most accurate representation of a cave wouldn't consist entirely of huge galleries. Most of the time you'd be on your hands and knees in damp muck. That's fun in person and not so much fun as a game.

—Alorael, who liked the old Honeycomb's plethora of secret passages. He thought the new Honeycomb was okay, but it's really not that hard to navigate. Making it have even more levels, none of which have any sensible relationship to each other, would truly make it a Honeycomb to be remembered and feared. Then again, the Brigand's Madhouse wasn't all that popular.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #189
In Dynasty Warriors V, there were some levels in which the mini-map would not appear to make things more confusing for the player. It was most effective. That would be an interesting element that Jeff could add.

--------------------
You lose.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #190
Originally by Alorael:

quote:
Most of the time you'd be on your hands and knees in damp muck. That's fun in person and not so much fun as a game.
Really? The caves I am most familiar with usually involve scrambling up or down piles of wet or icy rocks while keeping my head low with a flickering flashlight.

Flashlights and headlamps often fail in Dikiyoba's hands. No one is yet sure why.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #191
quote:

In Dynasty Warriors V, there were some levels in which the mini-map would not appear to make things more confusing for the player. It was most effective. That would be an interesting element that Jeff could add.
Nethergate had mazes in which the automap was unavailable, and so did the Exile series. Most of the time they were a nuisance; the Hedge Prison was pretty much the worst part of Nethergate.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #192
The trick to get around no automap was to use the cursor to shift the screen around. I like the mapping in Wizardry. In the original Might and Magic game I made dozens of colored maps for the outdoor areas and dungeons. Those were much worse than anything in Spiderweb Games.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #193
quote:
Originally written by Cryptozoology:

Nethergate had mazes in which the automap was unavailable, and so did the Exile series. Most of the time they were a nuisance; the Hedge Prison was pretty much the worst part of Nethergate.
How could I forget the hedge maze?!? I don't remember that happening in Exile, though. Maybe it's been too long. Either way, I'm suprised to see you calling such a thing a "nuisance." I'd expect that kind of talk from me, but your the sick freak that likes to challenge himself to playing Geneforge without magic or creations.

--------------------
You lose.
Apprentice
Member # 7064
Profile #194
Get rid of herb lore and arcane lore. Unless there continues to be advantages for ever higher levels.

They make you want to wait for the walkthrough to know how to optimally play for the game same with trainers.

What was really fun in Avernum 4 was doing all the stages out of order. You could totally skip entire areas.

Less small encounters. More epic battles.

More stealing, stealth. Murder of innocent civilians.

Basically what I would want is lots of towns to steal and talk and do stealth missions.

One epic battle per area. No millions of chitrachs!

I want to be able to buy a house to store all the quest items and recipe ingredients.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #195
I want arrows back. The ability to mix-and-match different arrows and bows was nice. You could really do it sort of like the thorn batons in Geneforge. Heck, you could even include occasionally reloading your quiver.

Also, how about superweapons for fighters, ones that make up the deficit between melee and missile/spell users. You could have them so that they didn't do much physical damage, but did a plethora of damage in fire/ice/acid/poison/etc. Or maybe have some sort innate ability built-into them that takes affect every swing (radiates an element, doing damage to all nearby creatures, etc.), making them generally more effective. Or just build them so that they have very high level bonuses but do a low base damage, making them very powerful in the hands of one trained to use those weapons, but otherwise useless when used by anyone else.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #196
I think the thing I liked most about Avernum 4 was that there were lots of unique bosses. I love named enemies, there should be lots of them in future games. Expecially ones that don't have a quest that goes with them, like that one nephil with the spear early in the game. Sort of like optional bosses, and they can drop special items. That would be cool.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #197
Just a minor point, but what exactly is an "epic" battle? Epic has become a term of general overuse without any specific meaning anymore. I, for one, consider the small band of heroes triumphing over the endless insectile hordes fairly epic.

Do you want more battles against fewer but more powerful enemies, or plot-related battles, or what?

—Alorael, who can't say he really enjoyed the chitrachs. That was mostly because they chew through any party that isn't painfully optimized by the time they reach the Eastern Gallery and the way they parry and riposte so much that combat is a headache. The concept of fighting a huge swarm of fairly minor but relentless enemies worked just fine.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #198
Originally by Nioca:

quote:
I want arrows back. The ability to mix-and-match different arrows and bows was nice. You could really do it sort of like the thorn batons in Geneforge. Heck, you could even include occasionally reloading your quiver.
Except that each kind of thorn only loads into one kind of baton.

To be honest, the only thing Dikiyoba wants from A5 at the moment is for it to run on Dikiyoba's computer with minimal hassle.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #199
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

To be honest, the only thing Dikiyoba wants from A5 at the moment is for it to run on Dikiyoba's computer with minimal hassle.
Apply for beta testing since Jeff is really interested in getting the games to run on all the systems before general release.

Pages