A Few Advance Notes On Geneforge 4

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A Few Advance Notes On Geneforge 4
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #0
I've been spending a lot of time of late, when not debugging Avernum 4 for Windows, sketching out the plot and world for Geneforge 4 and designing some interface stuff. Here's a little advance info, for general interest.

All of this is subject to change. Of course.

I want the Mac version to be out this year. It will, like Avernum 4, run at 1024 x 768 resolution. The days of our 800 x 600 games are gone forever.

I am focusing heavily on improved animations and spell effects. There will be a greater variety of effects, and they will be prettier.

Since the end of Geneforge 3, the rebellion against the Shapers has begun. You will play rebels, not Shapers, though you will develop shaping abilities early in the game. Without shaping, it's not Geneforge.

At this point, your character can be a human or a servile. There will be three character classes that take the role of Shaper/Agent/Guardian. I really like how that set works.

The skill list will stay the same, most likely, as I think it works very well. There will probably be 3 new creations and 8 new spells.

There will be three overall factions/sets of endings, but one of them is more hidden than the others.

A number of characters from Geneforge 3 will return.

I want the game to have many more scripted events and big battles. It's a war, and I want you to be mixed up in it.

I've never been entirely happy with how mines and traps work, so I'm tinkering with that. I want to find a way for Tool Use heavy zones to be a more fun experience.

I want to rework stealth so it's clearer what's going on and when a creature can see you.

I want to implement weather. It won't affect play so much, but it'll be pretty.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Several things about this make me happy:

* New creations and new spells — in this case, more is almost certain to be better

* Big battles — one of my favorite combats of all SW games is the attack on the Ziggurat in A2

* Weather? Strange, but it sounds good

I look forward to seeing what ends up coming out of this.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #2
Yay!

Dikiyoba's reaction subject to change.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #3
Yes!

I wonder what the new creations will be....... do any of you have any ideas? I haven't come up with one.

EDIT: What if the Shapers try to make minotaurs(with a different name) tto fight the drakons but they rebel and have a huge Empire built. They are sort of like the Drayks because they are to smart but they rebel because they don't like to be slaves.

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Maybe you are a rebel Minotaur!

EDIT 2: Don't threaten me with an un-sellable trowel or i'll threaten you with an un-sellable brick.

Can someone explain to me why minotaurs are such a bad idea? Nobody's told me yet.

[ Tuesday, February 07, 2006 16:48: Message edited by: Shapers_doom ]
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
It's not about the Minotaurs at Spiderweb Software. It's about the giant spiders. Too bad there haven't been any in the Geneforge series. At least, not yet.

Dikiyoba.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #5
I'd rather have Minotaurs than Giant Spiders.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #6
"It's not about the Minotaurs at Spiderweb Software. It's about the giant spiders. Too bad there haven't been any in the Geneforge series. At least, not yet."

In my very very early conceptions of Geneforge, the serviles were actually going to be whole huge tribes of Exile-style spiders.

This idea was eventually discarded, as it was mind-bogglingly terrible.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #7
Refreshing to hear several new ideas. I hope the new creations are not just new high level things, but some lower level ones as well. Above all, I hope it allows for more interesting tactical decisions on the part of the player.

It might be nice if weather did impact combat somewhat. For instance, wind would make batons and javelins less accurate and rain would weaken the firebolt spell.

Also, I'm glad to hear the line of sight and stealth issues will be revamped as the those algorithms in eariler games was not all that great.

Anyway, hope for a good game.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #8
I was never too much into the battles or even the creations. I loved the storyline, the whole mystery that GF1 had. Which is what I liked this "I want the game to have many more scripted events and big battles. It's a war, and I want you to be mixed up in it." I can't wait to see how this is going to work out. I like the idea of playing a servile, of defending your race which was slaved for generations.
I'm glad the mines are getting improved, and somehow I'm all excited about the weather.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #9
Sounds good to me too. I really like the idea of a third faction being elusive - something I might not find the first time through the game. I think it would be nice to connect somehow with the Awakened. I thought it was already clear in G2 that the Awakened were not really going to be the pure good guys after all, since the dilemma of power was hitting them hard. Maybe this issue could be related to their elusiveness: they could be not so much hidden as tricky to bring into existence.

It would be nice if weather included things like the 'damaging atmospheres' that are a GF tradition. It would be cool to have to walk through evil green fog while taking that acid damage, then see it clear away once I repaired the machines.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #10
Sounds awesome! I've always been slightly annoyed at the later Geneforges because there was supposed to be a major war going on, but you hardly ever fought the opposing side, at least in the beginning.
A2, however, captured the idea that there was a war very well, which is why I liked A2. I want to see stuff like two opposing forts: one Loyalist, one Rebel. The captains of each of the forts give missions to take out the other fort.
Perhaps some towns could fall to the opposing side if the party takes too much time, like in A3, or does a mission for the opposite side.

P.S: Out this year? Wow, Jeff is fast.

[ Wednesday, February 08, 2006 02:09: Message edited by: WonkoTheSane ]

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #11
All the Jeff's ideas sounds good to me. I want to say only that, because I don't know enough English to describe how I feel now.

(2 posts from the member 1, the news of GF4 and all the other replies makes me REALLY happy, though.)

I have to wait only one year? That sound simply :cool: !!!

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #12
Maybe the hidden faction will be Awakened under Khryk! He will work for the Shapers in the Mainland where he runs a city but this city and a couple surrounding it are Awakened but the Shapers don't know this.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #13
I like the sound of this. Basically it'll have the familiar elements (fighter/mage/shaper), returning characters, augmented by some fun or pretty things to look at (new spell effects, weather). Can't argue with that. Especially because the promises are modest and therefore achievable. If you promise 3 new creations, that's deliverable. While if you promise an entirely new engine, well people are bound to have high expectations.

Mind you, talking spiders are overdue to make an appearance in the Geneforge 'verse!

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #14
**Head asplodes**

WEATHER!!!

I kept walking around the Isle of Spears and wishing and hoping for some snow flakes to fall.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #15
Well, the weather can be very annoying, like the acid atmosphere in the Purification Plant area in GF3...

Everything have a dark side... IMAGE(http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/angels/bat_angel.gif)

Anyway, I like the idea. Jeff Vogel is my personal god IMAGE(http://www.faccinebuffe.it/smile/omini/omini12.gif) !

Plase notice that I have a new signature for the GF4 news. IMAGE(http://www.faccinebuffe.it/smile/wink/wink11.gif)

This post is simply amazing, isn't it? :P

[ Thursday, February 09, 2006 11:10: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Warrior
Member # 3035
Profile Homepage #16
Hi

Please don’t spend the majority of the time working on “prettier graphics”. The reason for your fan base is the unique and wonderful storytelling and the immense game play, the multiple outcomes and freedom you give the player are a rarity in most games. While a few graphic tweaks are always appreciated, without the story there would be no real reason to play your games.

--------------------
Geneforge 3 Trainer for windows.
[NEWEST v.0.9 ~~ Trainer D/L Here (.zip, 103kb)
Apprentice
Member # 5916
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by *i:

It might be nice if weather did impact combat somewhat. For instance, wind would make batons and javelins less accurate and rain would weaken the firebolt spell.
Don't forget visibility. Or suffering minor damage over time due to exposure. Or being startled by a sudden bolt of lightning and having a spell fail...

I find myself obscurely pleased about the weather announcement. Games never seem to have occasional inconveniences like nighttime, gloaming, temperature, wind... I liked the old "Omega" roguelike's sudden storms that pushed you randomly off course and could keep going for several turns. "Due to inclement weather you have become lost." "Ah, now you know where you are." Minor inconveniences, but enough to keep things interesting.

You don't want inconveniences to be *too* inconvenient, but a little reality can be a good thing. Especially if it sometimes interferes with foes too. And it's *really* great if once in a blue moon it's a stroke of good luck for you.

Even if the weather just turns out to be for atmosphere, I think I'll like it. As I've slowly made my way through GF1 I've really enjoyed the atmosphere the text gives. It's also nice that it runs the gamut from unsubtle to quite subtle, since players have different sensitivities. I've noticed Geneforge is actually teaching me a bit about interacting with people. When someone "looks cagey" it originally sailed right past me. Now I notice more often and try to figure out what these things indicate or if it's just atmosphere.

[ Friday, February 10, 2006 06:21: Message edited by: Vespucci ]
Apprentice
Member # 6160
Profile #18
Yay, From what I can read, I'm very enthusad about it. I agree with the Weather effects, regardless if they effect you or not, it's awesome. And yes, The graphics while not necessary and the Storyline and plot is so much more important, the graphics are still quite welcome.

I'm enthused.

--------------------
Wife: Honey, what's that stuff on the showerhead?

Husband: Woah... Now that's range.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #19
I like the sound of it ... my screen must be pissed at me for all the resolution switching (takes longer every time, just to spite me?)

By weather, do you also mean the passing of time? Day and night would be a really good addition. Also, to affect gameplay, I think the PC should have to sleep and eat. It's unrealistic not to ... unless, of course, you're all augmented. Then, you're inhuman and may not need nourishment or rest. Adds to the depth of gameplay without affecting plot or user interface. Towns could have inns (there was a "decorative" one in GF2) that allow you to rest and eat. If you're fatigued/starving, you should have similar effects to being encumbered (lower action points, hit penalties). Maybe you can buy camping equipment to bed down in friendly areas?

Example:
1 min real time : 60 min game time
"Instant" travel across zones adds 30 min game time
Day (6am-8pm): Fewer rogues, more people, towns active for trade
Night (8pm-6am): More rogues of different types, townsfolk are at home asleep.
Hunger comes 2 times a day, fatigue hits daily. Sleeping at night is more beneficial.

Just spitballing.

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Nick Ringer:

I think the PC should have to sleep and eat.
Do you know how annoying that would get?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
If I may roughly paraphrase a roughly remembered Grumpy Gamer article Jeff wrote, having to micromanage characters' basic needs may be realistic but it isn't fun. Games are fun. Therefore having to carefully deal with basic needs is bad.

The food of the Exiles and Nethergate is about as close as I want to come to having to feed PCs. Sleep just isn't exciting. It means, what, clicking a button every so many minutes and enduring a few seconds of black screen?

—Alorael, who is excited about Geneforge 4. Maybe it will inspire him to play Geneforges 1-3!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #22
Fatigue (Revenge), Night/Day cycles (Shadow of the Stranger) and Hunger (Election) can all add a lot to a game. But the game has to be designed that way. You can't just slap them on top of some other formula and expect them to make things better.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #23
Yeah, like the way there's night and day in Avernum 3 but it doesn't make any difference to the game (no extra undead, no sleeping NPCs).

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 6788
Profile Homepage #24
G4?! YESSS! Looks like I can't call it a trilogy anymore...(sigh) Hey the weather and the big battles (especially the battles) sound COOL! :eek: Better graphics is neat as well :)
Jeff should also do better sounds :D , on another note, I wonder what kind of spells there could be...more mental spells I hope, I simply LOVE wreaking havoc among my enemies by taking control of them and having them fight each other! ;) Probably the best thing that's happened in a long time :)

--------------------
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!

Pages