A Few Advance Notes On Geneforge 4

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A Few Advance Notes On Geneforge 4
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
But no, you will play a mammalian humanoid. I'm not sure I have the guts to design a game where you play something else. I think it would be a tough road to convince a lot of gamers that they want their avatar to be something different.

- Jeff Vogel
Wait...slithzerikai are mammals?

Dikiyoba doesn't particularily like drakons. Or even drayks. Fyoras and cyoras are fine though.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #51
Nobody has answered me yet. I know you don't like Drakons but what exactly is wrong with them?
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #52
Dikiyoba speaks just for Dikiyoba but:

1. They're too powerful for an avatar.
2. They're arrogant.
3. The idea has been done to death around here.
4. They're not creative or impressive, just powerful.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #53
5. Drakons are just slightly too big for most buildings. So unless you want to stay outside the whole game, it's not a good idea.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Apprentice
Member # 4231
Profile #54
I, for what my opinion's worth, am still waiting for a Geneforge boat that makes me happy. It's a small thing, but I think that a Drayk-boat a la GF1 intro is wicked cool, whereas a stretched Avernum boat is a jarring experience that completely clashes with the rest of the game. Plus, it'd be nice to be able to click a boat to use it, a la trapdoor. (Was this in GF3? I haven't bought it yet.)

--------------------
Lifetime Spiderweb Gamer
and Fan of Classic Style Graphics
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #55
Hey, good point. All those boats should have heads. And why, if I can learn to make Drayks out of thin air, couldn't I have gotten a canister of Create Boat-creature, and sailed away from Sucia Island the easy way? Maybe you just can't make Boat-creatures that way?

This reminds that I would really like to see Jeff clarify the relationship between creations that are born like serviles and some Drayks, creations that are grown in vats, creations that are made out of personal essence on the spot like the PC's, temporary creations like those that feature once or twice in G2 and G3, and shades. I can think of decent rationalizations of all this, which might even suggest some interesting plot points. But I don't mind much how it gets done; I'd just like to see it done somehow.

[ Tuesday, February 14, 2006 01:24: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #56
quote:
Origanilly written by Dikiyoba:

1. They're too powerful for an avatar.
2. They're arrogant.
3. The idea has been done to death around here.
4. They're not creative or impressive, just powerful.

1. As I have said before, a young, growing Drakon. Like a Teenager Drakon.
2. The ones that are Shaped are...what about the ones that aren't?
3. So?
4. Have you seen a humonoid dragon in any other game?

quote:
Origanilly written by VCH:

5. Drakons are just slightly too big for most buildings.
5. Teenager Drakon = about 8 feet tall, 1 foot taller than Rahul.

[ Tuesday, February 14, 2006 03:38: Message edited by: I_am_a_Minotaur ]
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #57
I'm just starting to HATE Drakons... :D

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #58
Thank you Jeff... Thank you so very much.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #59
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

quote:
But no, you will play a mammalian humanoid. I'm not sure I have the guts to design a game where you play something else. I think it would be a tough road to convince a lot of gamers that they want their avatar to be something different.

- Jeff Vogel
Wait...slithzerikai are mammals?

Dikiyoba doesn't particularily like drakons. Or even drayks. Fyoras and cyoras are fine though.

They definitely aren't, game-wise - there are hatching pools in the city of Lost Bahssikava in Avernum.

I've always felt that rhetorical questions should be answered when possible. :P

Edit: The slithzerikai, naturally. Not the fyoras and cryoras.

[ Tuesday, February 14, 2006 05:40: Message edited by: Arancaytar the Grey ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #60
I keep thinking about it.

Teenage Drakon? :rolleyes:

That has to be the most insipid mind numbing idea I have ever encountered.

Really.

"It's like, omigod, like, you know, I have to go out and change the world and stuff. Like, you know? But I got this pimple and my girlfriend dumped me because she said I was like, you know, some whiny emo loser. And I was like, so are like so totally like wrong and stuff. And it's like I have all this peer pressure and my body keeps changing and like my voice keeps cracking. Like, omigod and stuff. It's like so hard to be like a teenager right now. And I so gotta go and work my shift at the food court at the mall. It's like, life sucks you know. If only I could rebel and be different just like everybody else and stuff, and change the world. Omigod."

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #61
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar the Grey:

They definitely aren't, game-wise - there are hatching pools in the city of Lost Bahssikava in Avernum.
Well, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. A few mammals are hatched from eggs. But does anyone remember a female slith having breasts (i.e. mammary glands -> mammal)? I can't, but that might just be because I wasn't paying attention.

And maybe in GF8 you should play a teenage mutant ninja drakon.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6795
Profile #62
quote:
But does anyone remember a female slith having breasts (i.e. mammary glands -> mammal)?
Strangely enough, the best defining characteristic of a mammal is that it has hair. All of the others are somewhat hard to check (sweat glands, baby teeth - damn, I must be a pretty poor ecology student if I can't remember more than that... :D ).
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #63
You won't really be a teenage drakon. You'll be in between hatchling and adult.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #64
Just as my annoyance was reaching threshold, I start to admire the persistence.

*chills*

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #65
Why not play a Vahanatai warrior? Maybe a giant bird or something.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #66
quote:
Origanilly written by SOT:
Just as my annoyance was reaching threshold, I start to admire the persistence.
I admire your ability to admire someone you find annoying.

quote:
Origanilly written by VCH:
Why not play a Vahanatai warrior? Maybe a giant bird or something.
Why not? I woudn't want to because I would consider it boring but otherwise I can't find anything wrong with that except that it would be hard to introduce flight into the game.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #67
Originally by Kelandon:

quote:
Well, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. A few mammals are hatched from eggs. But does anyone remember a female slith having breasts (i.e. mammary glands -> mammal)? I can't, but that might just be because I wasn't paying attention.
Sliths are indeed reptiles, since they are described as "lizard men" in the Za-Khazi Run.

As for female sliths, the only thing noticeably sets them apart is the fact that one slith character graphic in BoA wears pink and another one wears a purple "shirt." Even those aren't definitive.

Dikiyoba wonders how much it would take to manually replace a shaper/guardian/agent graphic with a drakon graphic, just to make I_am_a_Minotaur happy and be able to move on?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #68
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Sliths are indeed reptiles, since they are described as "lizard men" in the Za-Khazi Run.
Well, that's the question, isn't it? Are they men that resemble lizards (as the term "lizard men" would imply) or lizards that resemble men (less likely but also possible from "lizard men"). Men that resemble lizards could well be mammals — more men than lizard, if you will — but lizards that resemble men could be reptiles.

I'm inclined to think that they'd need four-chambered hearts and other internal structures not common in reptiles in order to function the way they appear to. I mean, a slith without a proper mammal-like cardiovascular system wouldn't stand a chance in a pitched battle against humans, but a slith with a more advanced cardiovascular system (like that of birds) would slaughter humans outright.

In other words, I think they're more like people that look like lizards than they are lizards that look like people. But seriously, do none of the slith females have breasts? I have to look this up now.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #69
quote:
Origanilly written by Dikiyoba:
Dikiyoba wonders how much it would take to manually replace a shaper/guardian/agent graphic with a drakon graphic, just to make I_am_a_Minotaur happy and be able to move on?

Its not just that.... I would like a story that interworks the fact that you are a drakon into the plot.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #70
Hmm. I can find no proof that sliths have breasts (that is, more than simply pectoral muscles), and all of the images of sliths conspicuously lack nipples (although they appear to be of male sliths).

So I can't find conclusive evidence either way.

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #71
Sliths are like dinosaurs. They're reptiles, except that they aren't quite reptiles. They're a little too advanced to be plain, ordinary reptiles. Thus, they can have an upright structure, a four-chambered heart, and great intelligence while still being reptiles.

There's no proof the nephil have nipples either, but the fur makes it pretty hard to tell.

Dikiyoba wonders why this conversation has to occur in the Geneforge section. It's a great discussion, but slightly misplaced.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #72
The Great Slith Nipple-Quest.

:eek:

Ladies and gentlemen, we are now witnessing board history in the making.

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #73
A mammalian origin of vlish is implied in G3...where would nipples be on vlish?

Dikiyoba.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #74
I think I would have noticed any mention of nipples in the game cannon. Sliths are also definitely cold-blooded. I say we take that and run with it.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Pages