A Few Advance Notes On Geneforge 4

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A Few Advance Notes On Geneforge 4
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #150
quote:
Originally written by I_am_a_Minotaur:

...Drakons like Orious Blaze...
Who is him? You mean the greed-Drakon, one how the most simpa character in GF3 (he is like me and he THINK like me).

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #151
Yes, Orois Blaze. The greedy one south of Icy End who also gives you skills for thousands of coins each.

What I want to know is:
- Will the next game expand on the canisters?
- Will the next game incorporate the Sholai?
- Will the PC begin the next game outside Shaper rule?

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Warrior
Member # 4084
Profile #152
quote:

Hi

Please don’t spend the majority of the time working on “prettier graphics”. The reason for your fan base is the unique and wonderful storytelling and the immense game play, the multiple outcomes and freedom you give the player are a rarity in most games. While a few graphic tweaks are always appreciated, without the story there would be no real reason to play your games.

but both are not necessarily mutually exclusive

--------------------
"Military justice is to justice what military music is to music" -G.M.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #153
Really and truly. Loved those GF3 spinning particle effects. What I'd appreciate are people sitting down or lying down, when the game says they're doing so. It just looked a little weird when the sailors in Dhonal's Keep were standing at attention next to beds going "mmmm, just like that."

"Yummy shrooms."
-- Mushroom Cave servile

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5218
Profile #154
I'm kinda depressed by this. I WANT to be a Shaper, not a rebel. *sigh* oh, well.
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #155
You aren't (I hope) forced down the rebel path.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #156
An original question... Help someone, killing people without a purpose, stealing... Maybe these action can modify your person, like in Fable, Jade Empire or KOTOR. What do YOU think?

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #157
I'd find the introduction of a 'third party' to the series quite interesting. I seriously doubt that the Sholai are powerful enough to be a threat to Shaper rule.

I think that 'Echoes of the Lost Song' by David Gemmel introduces an interesting concept. Perhaps another race from far across the seas who have no knowledge of Shaping or magic, but who are technologically superior to the Shapers (pistols, muskets, cannon, etc.) The Rebellion would then be forced to choose between two evils.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Warrior
Member # 497
Profile #158
The Sholai are too far away to be a significant threat to Shapers. Without a base of supply, a Sholai would have to pick sides.

Anyway, the real reason for my post; to resurrect an idea from earlier, I don't think a pack ornk is all that bad an idea. Going from island to island in Geneforge 3, I had to make several trips for my Shaper Equipment, crafting items, Infiltrator items, etc. etc. I'd just make it, use it, and absorb it when I got where I was going, but some way to easily transport all of my myriad forms of delayed gratification in one trip would be quite nice.

As far as weaknesses, I think the ornk has plenty built in--too many, to tell the truth. First off, it's a traveling buddy, so that knocks you down to six slots for the more deadly incarnations of my Shaper's wrath. Second, ornks aren't noted for their melee ability. Loaded down with six hundred pounds of crap, their already hideous melee ability would decrease further, if they could attack at all--what would be a good weight cap for an ornk? Third, after making a full battle group of seven war-ornks in Geneforge 1, I noticed their critical weakness: these suckers are slow. In combat, they get where they need to go just fine, but that's turn-based. Out of combat, if I'm dealing with patrolling roamers or worse, I need my characters to be exposed for as little time as possible. My PC had no trouble . . . until he had to run back and save the ornks.

There are plenty of ways to work around or through these various issues, but if the ornk can be made into less of a joke creation, I'd not at all mind slapping an inventory on it. Maybe, like with horses in Avernum 3, you could even ride your ornks and double your traveling time!

--------------------
Evil comes in many forms. I am but one of them.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #159
quote:
Originally written by Waylander:

I'd find the introduction of a 'third party' to the series quite interesting. I seriously doubt that the Sholai are powerful enough to be a threat to Shaper rule.

I think that 'Echoes of the Lost Song' by David Gemmel introduces an interesting concept. Perhaps another race from far across the seas who have no knowledge of Shaping or magic, but who are technologically superior to the Shapers (pistols, muskets, cannon, etc.) The Rebellion would then be forced to choose between two evils.

Yes, but then the Sholai might take advantage of the situation to attack the Shapers, or they might work together, and the war would just get more complicated.

Oh well, just gotta wait a lot longer.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Warrior
Member # 6094
Profile #160
Well, I would suggest an Avernum 4 engine for a crossover (story-wise) of the Geneforge-Avernum universes. I would really like that. Oh, and make it so that you have 2 campaigns. and bring Erika back. (like, mabye a Geneforge-aiugmented person could Shape her again?) :)

--------------------
Darkest Day
Brightest Night
May all fear
My unknown might

(deep voice) There are some things in this world that humanity was never meant to possess (/deep voice)
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #161
EDIT: Double post

[ Saturday, April 08, 2006 11:09: Message edited by: Wonko The Sane ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #162
quote:
Originally written by Sahdrani:

Well, I would suggest an Avernum 4 engine for a crossover (story-wise) of the Geneforge-Avernum universes. I would really like that. Oh, and make it so that you have 2 campaigns. and bring Erika back. (like, mabye a Geneforge-aiugmented person could Shape her again?) :)
NOOOOOOOO.

No offense, but that's an even worse idea than more evil vahahtai. Geneforge is Geneforge, and Avernum is Avernum. A4 only melded the engines, and look at the response it got.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #163
quote:
Originally written by Sahdrani:

People have joked about this happening as something to frighten people (like Homeland).

This actually happening would spell disaster for Jeff Vogel (form this community at least).

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #164
We apologizes in advancement for the multiple quote-makingness.

quote:
Originally written by MagmaDragoon:

An original question... Help someone, killing people without a purpose, stealing... Maybe these action can modify your person, like in Fable, Jade Empire or KOTOR. What do YOU think?
Oooh. I like that. If you have party members like Alwan or Greta I hope they judge you. I recall an old Zelda game ... "Shame on you! Leave that poor hen alone!"

quote:
Originally written by Waylander:

The Sholai could be powerful. They seemed great in number, anyway. Your idea: brilliant. However, that could sort of bring the series abruptly to an end, much like the Aztec, Mayan, and Incan civilations decimated by the Spanish conquistadores ...

quote:
Originally written by Tom:

Anyway, the real reason for my post; to resurrect an idea from earlier, I don't think a pack ornk is all that bad an idea. Going from island to island in Geneforge 3, I had to make several trips for my Shaper Equipment, crafting items, Infiltrator items, etc. etc. I'd just make it, use it, and absorb it when I got where I was going, but some way to easily transport all of my myriad forms of delayed gratification in one trip would be quite nice.

As far as weaknesses, I think the ornk has plenty built in--too many, to tell the truth. First off, it's a traveling buddy, so that knocks you down to six slots for the more deadly incarnations of my Shaper's wrath. Second, ornks aren't noted for their melee ability. Loaded down with six hundred pounds of crap, their already hideous melee ability would decrease further, if they could attack at all--what would be a good weight cap for an ornk? Third, after making a full battle group of seven war-ornks in Geneforge 1, I noticed their critical weakness: these suckers are slow. In combat, they get where they need to go just fine, but that's turn-based. Out of combat, if I'm dealing with patrolling roamers or worse, I need my characters to be exposed for as little time as possible. My PC had no trouble . . . until he had to run back and save the ornks.

There are plenty of ways to work around or through these various issues, but if the ornk can be made into less of a joke creation, I'd not at all mind slapping an inventory on it. Maybe, like with horses in Avernum 3, you could even ride your ornks and double your traveling time!

First: shouldn't "War Ornks" just be called "Wornks?"
Second: I can't remember who presented that idea, but I submit(ted(?)) that very thing in a hopeful and extensive email to Jeff Vogel about a week ago. I said that Ornks should not take a creation slot or get a turn in battle (they would just run away), and as opposed to getting the regular stats (Dexterity, Intelligence, Endurance, Strength) they would only get Strength, which would directly affect the amount they could carry (base 50 lbs, +10 lbs per Strength point).

Checking back, it was actually me who brought up the Ornks in that ludicrously long post.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 7017
Profile #165
well u know what this game lacks is a bit of romance ;) yea, something like the character developing different types of relationships throughout his/her journey that can help him or injure him depending on what he/she does.The character can have some sort of background story that could definately make the plot more interesting. Just a thought ;)
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #166
And just about any back story that JV makes up would fail to please most people. It's better to just make up your own back story and leave it at that.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #167
The Wornks have finally convinced me. There has been an Easter egg 'Create Ornk' canister in every Geneforge game. The next one should also give you Create Ornk, but once you have it, there should be possibilities (possibly activated by a cheat code) to upgrade this to Pack Ornk and War Ornk. And a War Ornk should be a joke creation that is far stronger than anything else in the game.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #168
Just how strong would "Wornks" be?
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #169
They would be powerful enough to tear down walls and melt enemies.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #170
quote:
Originally written by Nick Ringer:

They would be powerful enough to tear down walls and melt enemies.
Whoa, destructible environments in Geneforge 4? That would be really cool.

Edit: Wait, how about the ability to make "fading creations" (see geneforge 3). You could make a fading creation during combat of any creation you could normally make outside combat mode. They only last a couple turns, though.

[ Sunday, April 16, 2006 07:01: Message edited by: The Ripper ]

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Jerking at Spiderweb since 1999
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #171
I had, in fact, previously suggested both of these things. As punishment for repetition, read every thread less than a week old.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5118
Profile #172
...... web page

--------------------
This apple? no. That apple? no. What about that orange? no. "What DO YOU WANT!!!!" 'Wink' "I want the apple you are eating."
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #173
Knock it off.

Dikiyoba doesn't have anything else to add.

Edit: Typo.

[ Sunday, April 16, 2006 19:35: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #174
I was looking at the original post again. I noticed that it said there will 3 new creations and 8 new spells. That probably means that there will be a new creation for each type of shaping, and the 4 types of spells will each get 2 new spells.
I also noticed the most important line in the post: All of this is subject to change.

[ Sunday, April 16, 2006 21:01: Message edited by: Mr.Bookworm ]

--------------------
Polaris

Pages