A Few Advance Notes On Geneforge 4

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A Few Advance Notes On Geneforge 4
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #25
It sounds like Geneforge 4 will be a worthy addition to the series.

Personally, if new creations are going to be added to the game, I hope that they won't be more powerful that drakons/eyebeasts/rotgroths.

The only technical 'error' in Geneforge was that distance did not effect missile accuracy. It would be good to see the mechanics of missile combat tweaked a little in Geneforge 4, so that your accuracy improves the closer you are to a target.

I'd also like to see the Glaahk unnerfed. In Geneforge 3, the Glaahk cost way too much essence, with very little payback.

[ Saturday, February 11, 2006 21:45: Message edited by: Waylander ]

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #26
It would be nice if the documentation of the skills and creations (specifically, that of the Clawbug) were finally fixed.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #27
It would be nice if there were minotaurs.
Apprentice
Member # 5925
Profile #28
I like the idea of spiders. They might be one of the stronger battle creations, but not as strong as rotgroths (did i spell that right?). they would be really cool, and im surprised they didn't put that as a creation before, seeing as its by SPIDERweb software.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

I've never been entirely happy with how mines and traps work, so I'm tinkering with that. I want to find a way for Tool Use heavy zones to be a more fun experience.
Agreed.

Honestly, if you have creatures that can be manipulated by tools like computers, you could have a lot more power with tool use rather than "you're allowed to take this alternate path since you have x of a certain skill".

For instance, if you have tool skill, perhaps you might be able to repair some types of broken batons, create magical crystals with living tools and the right type of crystal/gem, etc. Heck, maybe you could even create copies of keys without having to steal them from their owners.

I like the ideas. They might just provide a sense of innovation that a series of 3+ games ends up needing quite badly after a while.

EDIT: Ooh! Before I forget- if you have weather, you may want to give the party spells to control the weather. Imagine, creating gusts to foil ranged attackers, thunderstorms to zap armored foes, etc... For that matter- if you make weather effects, have each metal item the player wears increase the odds of the player's getting struck!

[ Sunday, February 12, 2006 14:55: Message edited by: Prometheus ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #30
Originally by YamiNoRyuu:

quote:
I like the idea of spiders. They might be one of the stronger battle creations, but not as strong as rotgroths (did i spell that right?). they would be really cool, and im surprised they didn't put that as a creation before, seeing as its by SPIDERweb software.
I can see it now: Arachnid Shaping. And, yes, I have put too much thought into it.

First, pull the clawbugs out of battle shaping and replace them with something like golems. Rename clawbugs giant scorpions.

Arachnid shaping should be expensive to level, but the essence cost should be reasonably low.

Tier 1:
Level 1: Giant mites-Small, hard to hit, weak melee attack. Very small change of diseasing enemy during melee attack.
Level 3: Giant ticks-Larger, better melee attack, fairly good chance to disease enemy during melee attack, easier to hit.

Tier 2:
Level 1: Giant scorpions-Bonus AP, strong melee attack.
Level 3: Venemous scorpions-Bonus AP, strong poisonous melee attack.

Tier 3:
Level 1: Giant spiders-Throws webs, strong melee attack. Occasionally tells you how cute you are.
Level 3: Giant tarantulas-Throws webs, strong acid melee attack. Ocasionally tells you how cute you are.

Tier 4:
Level 1: Giant vinegaroons-Bonus AP, spits acid, strong venemous melee attack, occasionally tells you how powerful you are.
Level 3: Stunning vinegaroons-Bonus AP, distance stun attack, stun melee attack, occasionally tells you how powerful you are.

Dikiyoba.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #31
I think that there should be 3rd faction shouldn't be elusive and a 4th one that is.

Factions

Shapers: You know what this faction is.
Rulers: Rahul, Shaper Council, Shaper leaders in G3 you tell your story to.

Rebels: You know what this faction is.
Rulers:Ghaldring, 3 Drakon Lords

Servile, Human, Drakon and Shaper Awakened: Awakened with Shapers and Drakons
Rulers: Khryk, Sharon, Giant kind Drakon, Orios Blaze

I don't have an idea for the 4th faction except that its elusive. (elusive is a stolen idea)

You are a young Drakon that was training until the Drakon Training School(Rebel) was shut down. Now, only having just started training, you are left alone to decide what to do.

3 classes:
Warrior Drakon:
Str: 4
Dex: 3
Int: 2
End: 4

Battle Skills

Melee: 4
Breath(B M): 2
M M: 1
Bl M: 2

Shaping:

B Shaping: 1
F Shaping: 1
M Shaping: 0
Form Shaping(changing someones attributes): 0
Magical Healing(healing with magic): 2

General Skills:

Mechanics: 3
Leadership: 3
Luck: 1
Herb Lore(Knowlegde of herbs): 3
Shaping Lore(Knowlegde of Shaping): 3
Herb Healing(Healing using herbs): 3

Wizard Drakon

Str: 2
Dex: 3
Int: 4
End: 2

Battle Skills

Melee: 2
Breath(B M): 4
M M: 3
Bl M: 4

Shaping:

B Shaping: 1
F Shaping: 1
M Shaping: 1
Form Shaping(changing someones attributes): 1
Magical Healing(healing with magic): 4

General Skills:

Mechanics: 2
Leadership: 2
Herb Lore(Knowlegde of herbs): 2
Herb Healing(Healing using herbs): 2

Shaper Drakon

Str: 2
Dex: 2
Int: 5
End: 2

Battle Skills

Melee: 1
Breath(B M): 3
M M: 2
Bl M: 3

Shaping:

B Shaping: 2
F Shaping: 2
M Shaping: 2
Form Shaping(changing someones attributes): 1
Magical Healing(healing with magic): 4

General Skills:

Mechanics: 2
Leadership: 2
Herb Lore(Knowlegde of herbs): 2
Herb Healing(Healing using herbs): 2

Any thoughts?

[ Sunday, February 12, 2006 15:14: Message edited by: I_am_a_Minotaur ]
Apprentice
Member # 3371
Profile #32
I have a few things to say.
Please do not have it take place on an island(heck it could be a pennusila(sp) or something but I am getting quite sick of the idea of another game on an island(or series of islands)
weather.... that sounds intresting. but it could IMO mess up the game, and please, oh please and elevation to the game(PLEASE!!!)

and yea i also thing that their should be spiders(e.g. very fast w/ weak meele and very bad poison(acid at higher lvls) and a chance of paralization(sp) per every hit(after all they are spiders and such)

[ Sunday, February 12, 2006 16:06: Message edited by: shadolupin ]

--------------------
Row!!!
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #33
Continuation of my earlier post.

Each Drakon Lord will be building a Geneforge while Ghaldring is guarding the closest to made one as the Drakon makinng it was killed.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #34
I'd have edited this into my earlier post, but then I wouldn't be a filth spammer (and some people might also miss my incredibly important message).

Since the Geneforge Series is so much more focused on combat, maybe we could have a place to respond to enemy attacks. For example, there could be counterspells to nullify magic attacks and blocks to stop weapons.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Apprentice
Member # 5232
Profile #35
i think if you are a drakon or other kind of creation you should be able to reshape and augment yourself (wiht appropriate amounts of essence and/or objects) could be learned from books teachers but not canisters

--------------------
Dying tickles
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #36
Did you read the topic? You're not a drakon.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #37
I am glad it is Jeff making this game... And that is pretty much all I can say.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #38
Dikiyoba:
quote:

Tier 3:
Level 1: Giant spiders-Throws webs, strong melee attack. Occasionally tells you how cute you are.
Level 3: Giant tarantulas-Throws webs, strong acid melee attack. Ocasionally tells you how cute you are.

I actually like this idea. It sure would be a neat Easter Egg if you could shape the legendary GIFTS. Ooooh, I can see it now. A horde of eight GIFTS following you around, cheeping "You're neat!", "You're cute!", and singing silly poems about flies.
It would be like having 8 Xian skulls yammering away at once.

Thuryl:
quote:

You expect n00bs to read the topic in depth before hitting the reply button? Wow, your standards are rather high, doncha think?. :rolleyes:

[ Monday, February 13, 2006 01:16: Message edited by: Waylander ]

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #39
Yeh. Fraid I concur with DV.

A spider creation wouldn't be unreasonable, since shaping of arthropods is well established. And although Glaahks are cool because they look more like Escher's rollbugs than any actual arthropod I've ever heard of, Clawbugs are pretty standard scorpion-like things. So I wouldn't necessarily object to spiders.
One zone with some experimental creations that closely resembled GIFTs would be a fun easter egg. That's as far as it had better go, though.

Somehow I actually don't like the idea of weather control magic. It doesn't fit the established themes of shaper magic; it doesn't feel like something shapers would do. It could be interesting as a new Sholai magic, I suppose. But maybe more just elemental-themed magic, with a sort of 'protection from missiles' spell that is supposed to involve a small personal wind shield.

Actually controlling the zone-scale weather, as TM seems to have in mind, strikes me as too big an effect with too little practical consequence. Conjuring a rainstorm should take a lot more magical power than a Kill spell, but all it does is get the enemy wet. Maybe Call Lightning could be cool, but unless the game is ridiculously full of thunderstorms, it would be too rarely useful to be worthwhile as a spell. An item, or a scripted storyline where you clear an impregnable strongpoint by bringing about a lot of magically-assisted lightning strikes; these could be good. So while it would be cool for weather to have important effects at least a few times in the game, and possible to have some magical control over the weather feature in the story, I'd say skip the part about weather-controlling spells as such.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #40
Student of Trinity:
quote:

One zone with some experimental creations that closely resembled GIFTs would be a fun easter egg. That's as far as it had better go, though.

BOO HISS! Off with ye, fiend! We want to be able to shape GIFTS! *pelts SoT with rotten eggs* :D

quote:

Maybe Call Lightning could be cool,

Call Lightning PWNS in Baldur's Gate...

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #41
quote:

quote:
Thuryl:
quote:

You expect n00bs to read the topic in depth before hitting the reply button? Wow, your standards are rather high, doncha think?.

You guys seem to be the ones who haven't read the forum.... though it says that you won't be a Shaper it also says that ALL OF THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE .

[ Monday, February 13, 2006 03:45: Message edited by: I_am_a_Minotaur ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #42
I hate to disappoint you, but it's not going to be subject to that much change.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #43
Fortunately. Geneforge has been criticized for its plots, but I do hope Jeff does not fall to the level where he makes a game in which you you run around as a mutant dinosaur. :rolleyes:

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #44
For that, there's Battalion. It's not a very good game any more. Not just because standards have advanced: it runs too fast now. OK, it was only ever good in a sort of kooky way. But still.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #45
What do you have agaist drakons? Is there a reason you don't like them?
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #46
As cool as Drakons might be, if I start up G4 and see a Drakon as a playable race, I am going to quit the game and toss it in my desktop trashcan.

Wouldn't be much of a game. Unless of course the first area was populated by Reaper Turrents, and upper level hostile creations by the swarm.

That said, I do believe that if done properly, playing as some sort of rebel creation of some sort would be nice. Perhaps a hatchling Dryak. But even that might be iffy.

All things considered though, Dryaks can have their genes forged to become Drakons. And for this one reason alone, this is a bad idea.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #47
What about born Drakons? Not all are created. Some start out as babies.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #48
"As cool as Drakons might be, if I start up G4 and see a Drakon as a playable race, I am going to quit the game and toss it in my desktop trashcan."

Don't worry. I am sure I could find a thoroughly contrived way to bust your drakon down to a level 1 character. :-)

But no, you will play a mammalian humanoid. I'm not sure I have the guts to design a game where you play something else. I think it would be a tough road to convince a lot of gamers that they want their avatar to be something different.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #49
I guess that rules out ghosts then. Oh well.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4

Pages