Homeland : The Stone of Night is now officially a freeware game

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Homeland : The Stone of Night is now officially a freeware game
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #50
Because the Administration only wants you to think he's a mod.

(Read: I need more caffeine in the morning.)

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #51
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

quote:
Originally written by The Lurker:

Imban : ... You're a moderator, Imban - and I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to troll in the forum you moderate.
Erm... Imban isn't a moderator anymore. He's just an ordinary oldbie.

As ADoS said, he's still listed as a mod.

Even if he weren't anymore, it'd still be pretty bad style on his part - especially after reproaching others for similar trolling.

EDIT : Hey, we posted at almost the same time. I wonder if it means that General is getting more traffic. :P

[ Wednesday, January 30, 2008 07:06: Message edited by: The Lurker ]
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #52
It's his opinion on a game that is no longer associated with this site. What's wrong with him expressing his opinion? He's equally free, as far as I'm concerned, to disparage movies that came out this year, for example, or the Beatles, as has been done in other threads. Further, Imban expressing that he doesn't think the game is worth waiting ten minutes to download != "this game is suXX0rz, and anyone who plays it is dumb." So don't get bent out of shape! You seem to be taking the criticism personally. Don't.

[ Wednesday, January 30, 2008 09:31: Message edited by: Drew ]
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #53
quote:
Originally written by Frobozz:

quote:

RAR is "better" than ZIP
And 7-zip (technically called LZMA) is "better" than RAR. 7-zip also can uncompress RAR files for those who are still stuck with that dinosaur called WinZip.

I prefer ZipGenius, which, I think, actually supports more file types. And I agree, there are programs that are much better than archaic WinZip.

[ Wednesday, January 30, 2008 12:13: Message edited by: The Mystic ]

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #54
Fact #1 : Some people like Homeland.
Fact #2 : Imban doesn't.
Fact #3 : Saying that "Homeland isn't worth playing unless you're really bored" is *not* "expressing your opinion". He was basically saying "Nobody should even try Homeland, and those who pretend to like it -because it's clearly not possible- are subhuman cretins and should be ignored". That's inflammatory, to say the least.

One of the biggest problems with the Spiderweb community in that many members seem to have an endlessly inflatable ego, that causes them to constantly ignore (or worse, flame) those who disagree with them.

Things like Imban's bad behavior happen a lot, and this is especially obvious in the Lyceum reviews, full of contempt and mediocre sarcasm.

I can hardly blame Imban for being like most Spidwebbers, but that doesn't mean I have to like this fact. Fact that has caused so many flame wars, bans, and angry "I'm leaving" posts. If you're going to bash something, at least make it funny, like Archmage Alex.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #55
Homeland, much like GC, is an average or maybe below average game that has become a widely renowned horror for comic effect. I can understand enjoying it, but people enjoy many things I don't. I personally found it to be utterly uncaptivating and somewhat irritating.

—Alorael, who vaguely recalls finding the rate of walking to be entirely unacceptable.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #56
See everyone? Now that's a nicely phrased post. :)

"Walking" is actually "sneaking", by the way. One of the manual's many mistakes. To walk, you have to hold shift, then move around. To run, you have to right-click on the map. To run *really* fast, you have to right-click on the map while holding shift.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #57
quote:
Originally written by Janitorial Closet:

I tried downloading the stupid file, and guess what? My computer said the download would take 10 minutes! And it was still rising. Like I would download that. :D

Seriously is it good enough to download as a 10 minute wait?

You kids are spoiled. At dial-up speeds, downloading would take about 16 hours. Talk about wanting instant gratification.

You probably missed The Simpsons episode last Sunday parodying the 90s. Milhouse's father was downloading a photograph in 6 hours using an acoustical modem. For those of you that have never seen or used them, they have a phone handset resting on an acoustical connection cradle of the modem to transmit the signal by converting electrical impulses to sound waves. Really slow transmission and it breaks if the phone is moved.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #58
Nalyd sincerely hopes that you were kidding, JC.

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #59
quote:

Fact #1 : Some people like Homeland.
Fact #2 : Imban doesn't.
Fact #3 : Saying that "Homeland isn't worth playing unless you're really bored" is *not* "expressing your opinion". He was basically saying "Nobody should even try Homeland, and those who pretend to like it -because it's clearly not possible- are subhuman cretins and should be ignored". That's inflammatory, to say the least.

One of the biggest problems with the Spiderweb community in that many members seem to have an endlessly inflatable ego, that causes them to constantly ignore (or worse, flame) those who disagree with them.

Things like Imban's bad behavior happen a lot, and this is especially obvious in the Lyceum reviews, full of contempt and mediocre sarcasm.

I can hardly blame Imban for being like most Spidwebbers, but that doesn't mean I have to like this fact. Fact that has caused so many flame wars, bans, and angry "I'm leaving" posts. If you're going to bash something, at least make it funny, like Archmage Alex.

Oh dear sweet god. I'm not sure what's more frightening here: The hypocrisy or the fact that I could see my (hopefully past) self spouting the exact same nonsense.

Let's dissect your misconceptions one at a time, shall we?

quote:
First off, even if I were to think that Homeland was the work of Satan and all demons from the underworld and that the author needed to be exorcised, that still counts as an opinion. Take it. Leave it. But the people here have the First Amendment right to voice their opinions (within the CoC), whether you like them or not.

Second, I'd like to know how this:
quote:
Imban:
Homeland probably isn't worth a 10-minute wait unless you're really bored - heck, it's not really worth the time to play it unless you're really bored - but 10 minutes isn't a wait at all.
Got turned into this:
quote:
Your twisted interpretation:
Nobody should even try Homeland, and those who pretend to like it -because it's clearly not possible- are subhuman cretins and should be ignored
While the "Nobody should even try Homeland" is fairly accurate, you successfully took that and blew it into a massive rant about how Imban is an egotistical arse. Get a grip! Take a step back and look how you're acting. You're emulating the exact behavior you speak against.

quote:
Yeah, now you're doing a little something called generalization. Tell me, how many members can you actually name that do that on a regular basis. I say you can come up with 4 or 5, tops.

quote:
Emulating again? Regardless, did you honestly expect everyone to present roses to every little scenario (both good and crappy) that gets released? Some people will like a certain scenario. Others will despise it with a passion. Some will have strong opinions on a subject. Some won't. But singling out those that strongly voice an opinion you don't agree with for ridicule and scorn is, in every sense of the word, wrong. Made worse by your hypocrisy on this very issue!

quote:
The actual fact is this: It's not those that make derogatory or inflammatory comments that start flame wars. That just sets the stage for one. It's those that take offense at it and promptly pursue on a quest for verbal vengeance that start flame wars.

Fact is, there's going to be people who have a different opinion. There's going to be people who voice it in a way you don't agree with. There's going to be people trolling for a fight. But the best thing you can do about it (unless you're a mod/admin) is just stay out of the way. This is the internet; you have no control over other people or their behavior. But you do have control over yours.

That said, I've never played Homeland, and I don't think it's worth the download. But I'm also working on dial-up that requires about an hour just to get a 20 Megabyte file. So 320 Megabytes would require ~16 hours. So I'm just not interested.

AMEND: Nylad, that's no joke. And that assumes you can keep a stable and steady connection for 16 hours. Some dial-up companies will automatically terminate your connection if you're online beyond a certain limit of time.

[ Wednesday, January 30, 2008 17:04: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Apprentice
Member # 12516
Profile #60
quote:
Originally written by Agrajag:

Nalyd sincerely hopes that you were kidding, JC.
It really sort of WAS a joke. I have cable internet. Just the time thingey stating how long it was taking was acting up (apparently.) And I did download it. It was good(ish). I didn't get very far before I offended a smith and he attacked me. Then the entire town was after me! :D

--------------------
Man #1- "Now you gotta take this with a grain a' salt."
Man #2- "Okay, who are we taking said item from and why are we assaulting his grain?"

"why would some one in their right mind pee/poop on the geneforge?"- Safey
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #61
Nioca-
quote:
AMEND: Nylad, that's no joke. And that assumes you can keep a stable and steady connection for 16 hours. Some dial-up companies will automatically terminate your connection if you're online beyond a certain limit of time.
Nalyd was addressing Janitorial Closet.

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #62
quote:
Orginally written by Nioca:
blah blah blah
EDIT : On second thought, this isn't really worth my typing anything at all. You're right - no need to make things worse that they are, even if you misunderstood my posts.

[ Wednesday, January 30, 2008 23:27: Message edited by: The Lurker ]
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #63
You actually don't have a first amendment right to free speech on this forum - the first amendment only protects your speech from the government's interference, and this is a private forum - but I thought your points were good, Nioca.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #64
Just so you know, this whole fiasco is being dealt with privately, so as to avoid more off-topic posts.

[ Thursday, January 31, 2008 06:36: Message edited by: The Lurker ]
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #65
Right - I just wanted to address a common misconception concerning the First Amendment. :)
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #66
I downloaded the painless file size of the demo, and I sincerely think the graphics are ugly.

An off topic question: How come the Exile series and Realmz share some of the same graphics?

Edit: Ambiguous

[ Thursday, January 31, 2008 18:51: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #67
I played the demo once for a few minutes before it crashed my computer. I don't remember much, but I remember the walking animations were atrocious. The back and back leg were straight as they lifted the stepping leg at right angles, then pushed themselves forward with the back leg and brought the stepping leg down. Repeat with the legs reversed.

--------------------
My Myspace, with some of my art
The Lyceum - The Headquarters of the Blades designing community
The Louvre - The Blades of Avernum graphics database
BoE Webring - Self explanatory
They Might Be Giants - Four official websites for one of the greatest bands in existence
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #68
Realmz and Exile have the same graphics because they both non-exclusively licensed graphics from the same artist, I think.

—Alorael, who has noticed that the Empire Dervish sprite is one of the most plagiarized pieces of art for simple tile-based homemade RPGs. Sad, maybe, but it probably suggests a big audience for E3 in its day.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #69
I think with this great event there must now be created a new cult, for Homeland. Seeing as the RWG cult is almost certainly gone for good and Galactic Core has been permanantly returned to the grave.

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #70
quote:
Originally written by Jeran Korak:

I think with this great event there must now be created a new cult, for Homeland. Seeing as the RWG cult is almost certainly gone for good and Galactic Core has been permanantly returned to the grave.
I think not.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - will you remember his name?
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #71
quote:
Originally written by Benjamin Barker:

quote:
Originally written by Jeran Korak:

I think not.

Thing is, the RWG cult started out as a bunch of people spamming the poor unused forum, then wondering where Richard White had gone, whether he was even still alive, followed by a bunch of some more spam, and you know the rest (Pan Lever : seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?).
In fact, most of the people who are/were part of the cult didn't even own the RW games.

Seeing as Homeland doesn't even have an active forum and S.J.Morris is not nearly as mysterious as Richard White, I say we build an altar for Slartucker's nine-headed cave cow instead.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #72
Terrible idea.

IMAGE(http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2829/kuhsb5.gif)

--------------------
You lose.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #73
I'll admit I didn't expect The Cow to look this nasty. :P
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #74
We invented the secret order based in RWG, but it got out of our control. That's just because we imagined it getting out of our control, of course. But once we postulated an order so secretive that no-one could possibly know what it was really doing, we had to face the fact that getting made up on a message board would be entirely in character for them IF THEY WERE REAL!!!

So mite it be.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00

Pages