Homeland : The Stone of Night is now officially a freeware game

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Homeland : The Stone of Night is now officially a freeware game
Apprentice
Member # 4357
Profile #25
Also, quick question: since when was this an active messageboard? I remember it being a very quiet, slow board.

Also, anyone who plays Spidweb games and complains about the graphics in Homeland has got to be insane. We play Spidweb games because they're fun, not because they compete with Microsoft. Jesus Christ.

[ Tuesday, January 29, 2008 02:50: Message edited by: Sober ]

--------------------
Blades of Avernum beta-tester
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #26
quote:
Originally written by The Sober Irishman:

Any possibility of the developer giving the code for HL2 out, so it can be finished?
The problem is that H2's coding didn't use DirectX well, which apparently caused lots of engine-related problems.

I did ask Steven about the code, but it seems he forgot to reply. I'll have to ask him about it again.

EDIT : By the way, everyone, don't forget to install the patch I mentioned in this thread's first post - sorry to appear redundant, but it's pretty important. :P

[ Tuesday, January 29, 2008 03:06: Message edited by: The Lurker ]
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #27
What does it fix?

And have you managed to get to the end odf the demo as when I got past a certain area it starting showing up a massive ammount of errors and then ended the game with a crash. Is this because of a bad demo or the game itself? *Gulp*

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #28
The demo is supposed to end just before you can leave Whitewater, but some old versions of the demo are still around (some of them are on Spiderweb's CD), and these versions unintentionally allow you to get you of Whitewater, but since it's only a demo lots of files are missing. So don't worry - the full game works just fine. ;)

The demo on Dragonlore's website seems to work as intended, interestingly enough.

EDIT : On some computers, Homeland won't run properly. The 1.03z patch fixes that, as well as a few annoying inventory-related errors.

[ Tuesday, January 29, 2008 04:31: Message edited by: The Lurker ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #29
That explains it. The errors started just after I left Whitewater.

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #30
IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/playinghomeland.gif)

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/playinghomeland2.gif)

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/playinghomeland.gif)

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/playinghomeland2.gif)

Thats not funny.

No, strike that. I hate you.

[Wanders off in a sulk]

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #32
Hey, that's great, Alex! I loved those two strips, but wasn't sure where to find them. :D

It just about sums up what many Spidwebbers thought about Homeland.

EDIT : I don't think it's meant to offend anyone, Jeran Korak, it's just a joke.

EDIT 2 : Hmm, I missed your website's last update, it seems, seeing as the Homeland strips have been uploaded.

[ Tuesday, January 29, 2008 04:47: Message edited by: The Lurker ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #33
I know it was a joke. And there is a double Irony in this thread.

1: It was started by a Lurker

2: It is about Homeland, which most people seem to hate.

And it now has a minor record as being the fastest growing topic seen in a long while.

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #34
Hehe, well, it *is* about one of Spidweb's (former) games becoming freeware - that doesn't happen every day.

If I had posted about the RW games becoming freeware, this thread would probably have reached its 15th page already due to a Cultist Invasion.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #35
quote:
Originally written by The Lurker:

Hehe, well, it *is* about one of Spidweb's (former) games becoming freeware - that doesn't happen every day.

If I had posted about the RW games becoming freeware, this thread would probably have reached its 15th page already due to a Cultist Invasion.

The mods are on their side...the mods are on their side...the mods are on...

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Sober:

Also, quick question: since when was this an active messageboard? I remember it being a very quiet, slow board.
It still is slow and quiet. I only remember this board being reasonably active during my first few months here.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Jeran Korak:

Thats not funny.

No, strike that. I hate you.

[Wanders off in a sulk]

Philistine. When you're able to appreciate high art, the raisins will be waiting.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - will you remember his name?
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #38
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

I only remember this board being reasonably active during my first few months here.
Coincidence, correlation, or causation, I wonder?
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #39
By the way, I haven't finished the new manual and the walkthrough yet, but any new players might want to take a look here : Stats Overview thread

It explains quite a few things that aren't in the manual.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #40
Spiderweb isn't always leaping around with gleeful posting, but it's never dead. Too much more activity would require many more people, and that hits the size where it's no longer possible to know most or even many of the posters.

Homeland's problem isn't that its graphics aren't pretty. Spiderweb graphics are usually serviceable but no more. The objection to Homeland is that it's ugly. I don't remember noticing the graphics either way when I played.

—Alorael, who hopes for an ironic twist of fate in which Homeland is acknowledged to be a good game only once it has achieved financial failure and been released for free. O fickle internets!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 12516
Profile #41
I tried downloading the stupid file, and guess what? My computer said the download would take 10 minutes! And it was still rising. Like I would download that. :D

Seriously is it good enough to download as a 10 minute wait?

--------------------
Man #1- "Now you gotta take this with a grain a' salt."
Man #2- "Okay, who are we taking said item from and why are we assaulting his grain?"

"why would some one in their right mind pee/poop on the geneforge?"- Safey
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #42
It's kind of sad that you can't find something to do for ten minutes while your computer downloads a file.

Edit:
Sorry. Anyway, to answer your question, I think it's worth ten minutes to try something new.

[ Tuesday, January 29, 2008 19:04: Message edited by: Enraged Slith ]

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website

Kill Them Dead - Rate it now at CSR!
Apprentice
Member # 4357
Profile #43
Edit:

Make sure you check for the scroll image on the right side of the dialogue window. Not just for dialogue, but for response choices as well.

[ Tuesday, January 29, 2008 22:04: Message edited by: Sober ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4357
Profile #44
I'm finding that the game is crashing every single time I try to quickload after a party member dies. This is happening in the crypts facing Maglius (over and over again for exp, but god is his melee sick). I get a standard windows error. I have installed the patch.

Anyone else getting this crash?

--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #45
quote:
Originally written by Janitorial Closet:

I tried downloading the stupid file, and guess what? My computer said the download would take 10 minutes! And it was still rising. Like I would download that. :D

Seriously is it good enough to download as a 10 minute wait?

I could understand your position if it was actually going to take... significant time to download. Say, eight or more hours?

But no, Homeland probably isn't worth a 10-minute wait unless you're really bored - heck, it's not really worth the time to play it unless you're really bored - but 10 minutes isn't a wait at all.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #46
Sober : When one of your character dies, you get a death message. Click the OK button to display the menu, and click on the Quick Load button. It should work. If it doesn't, you might want to try enabling Windows 95 compatibility.

EDIT : Oh, and *don't* fight Maglius over and over. You really aren't supposed to do any leveling in Homeland - the game is specifically designed so that the main quests (and the subquests) will give you enough XP.

Imban : Quite frankly, I'm not sure why a bunch of oldbies decided making fun of Homeland was incredibly funny - especially when they clearly don't have a clue how to play the game - and go out of their way to make Homeland look bad. You think Homeland is a bad game? Fine, that's your opinion. But I've never seen a single Spidwebber really explain why you hate it so much.
You're a moderator, Imban - and I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to troll in the forum you moderate. Please explain why *you* don't like it, and please don't act like hating Homeland makes you hold the One Absolute Truth in the universe. Believe it or not, there are people out there who sincerely enjoy Homeland.

[ Wednesday, January 30, 2008 00:48: Message edited by: The Lurker ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 10374
Profile #47
What can I tell you my friend.World is unjust, and everyone abuses their power to some extent.

And Homeland is NOT a bad game at all.Have you actually played the game to judge it?

--------------------
Whats the point of signature?
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #48
quote:

Imban : ... You're a moderator, Imban - and I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to troll in the forum you moderate.
Erm... Imban isn't a moderator anymore. He's just an ordinary oldbie.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #49
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

quote:

Imban : ... You're a moderator, Imban - and I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to troll in the forum you moderate.
Erm... Imban isn't a moderator anymore. He's just an ordinary oldbie.

Oh? Then why is he still in the moderator list at the top of the General forum? :P

[ Wednesday, January 30, 2008 06:49: Message edited by: The Almighty Do-er of Stuff ]

--------------------
My Myspace, with some of my art
The Lyceum - The Headquarters of the Blades designing community
The Louvre - The Blades of Avernum graphics database
BoE Webring - Self explanatory
They Might Be Giants - Four official websites for one of the greatest bands in existence

Pages