Homeland : The Stone of Night is now officially a freeware game

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Homeland : The Stone of Night is now officially a freeware game
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #75
Long live the fighters.

[ Sunday, February 03, 2008 12:40: Message edited by: Drew ]
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #76
quote:
Originally written by Jeran Korak:

Seeing as the RWG cult is almost certainly gone for good
The Cult of Richard White is never gone for good, except for on the days which it is.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #77
This thread cracks me up. Thanks for the entertaining read.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #78
Well, talking about Homeland, Richard White, *and* the nine-headed cave cow in the same thread is a sure way to threaten the world's balance. :)
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #79
What balance did it have to begin with?

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #80
Cult of the Flying, Fluffy Turtles is so much better than Cult of the Nine-Headed Cow.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #81
There is no Cult of Flying, Fluffy Turtles because fluffy turtles cannot fly. Occasionally, they get shot out of cannons, but that's not flying. It's not so good for the fluffy turtles, either.

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb ReloadedEpisode 5: Spiderweb Resistance
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #82
Oh, I suppose turtles aren't all that great then.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #83
quote:
Originally written by The Lurker:

You're a moderator, Imban - and I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to troll in the forum you moderate. Please explain why *you* don't like it, and please don't act like hating Homeland makes you hold the One Absolute Truth in the universe. Believe it or not, there are people out there who sincerely enjoy Homeland.
I was one of Homeland's betatesters and thought it was a righteously lousy game then. I never tried it again after Spiderweb Software picked it up - and in fact, I was quite amused when Spiderweb did - so it's possible that it was much improved later on. The general consensus on the forums seems to be that it's still not a good game, though, so I haven't seen any reason to try it again.

EDIT: I can't, at this point, honestly tell you why I didn't like Homeland back then, since I have only fuzzy memories of the game at best. I can only say that my opinion wasn't intended to be read as gospel truth, and in truth I was intending far more criticism of the idea that ten minutes is too much to wait for anything than of Homeland. Honestly, the only way you're going to find out what you think of the game is to download and play it yourself, and if you do like it, you should thank Lurker.

[ Sunday, February 03, 2008 10:25: Message edited by: Imban ]
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #84
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

Oh, I suppose turtles aren't all that great then.
Then they shall come for you in the deep dark night, philistine.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - will you remember his name?
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #85
I think part of the reason I like it so much (Only part, I do not want any stupid "oh you hate it its just because blah blah spam spam etc kill myself" posts) is that Keegan is EXACTLY the kind of girl I'd like to marry, down to the hair-colour even.

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #86
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

quote:

You're a moderator, Imban - and I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to troll in the forum you moderate. Please explain why *you* don't like it, and please don't act like hating Homeland makes you hold the One Absolute Truth in the universe. Believe it or not, there are people out there who sincerely enjoy Homeland.
I was one of Homeland's betatesters and thought it was a righteously lousy game then. I never tried it again after Spiderweb Software picked it up - and in fact, I was quite amused when Spiderweb did - so it's possible that it was much improved later on. The general consensus on the forums seems to be that it's still not a good game, though, so I haven't seen any reason to try it again.

EDIT: I can't, at this point, honestly tell you why I didn't like Homeland back then, since I have only fuzzy memories of the game at best. I can only say that my opinion wasn't intended to be read as gospel truth, and in truth I was intending far more criticism of the idea that ten minutes is too much to wait for anything than of Homeland. Honestly, the only way you're going to find out what you think of the game is to download and play it yourself, and if you do like it, you should thank Lurker.

A big thank you for this post, Imban, I really appreciate it.

After carefully reading the Homeland archives, it's pretty clear that the beta versions of Homeland were indeed awful. Countless bugs and engine problems.

I don't know why Spiderweb chose to publish Homeland either. While I think the latest version can be a rather enjoyable game if you spent enough time reading the manual and experimenting with the engine, it suffers from a severe lack of polish, it's not nearly as long as an Avernum or Geneforge game, and the confusing fights will most likely make Homeland lose some potential players.

By the way, I wonder why Steven didn't list you as a tester. Many he only listed the Alpha testers, or maybe you had another nickname back then.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #87
Slight problem, in the demo I had no problems with the snakes in the forests, yet now even if I kill a lot of them and buy Leather armour then equip it on Keegan she still seems to die with great ease when they attack her.

Demo version I got up to blue health on those snakes and never once died. Help?

EDIT: Typos fixed.

[ Tuesday, February 05, 2008 09:07: Message edited by: Jeran Korak ]

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #88
Leather Armour is awful. Buy one or two Snakeskin items for Keegan instead - that's all she really needs.

Also, make sure you're using the right party options - make sure the hand icon isn't selected, and use normal (not berserk or defense) mode for Keegan for now.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #89
Leaving them in the middle of the ruins with bows and defensive mode on while watching a movie on another computer gets your health up very fast. That, or reload.

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #90
quote:

Leaving them in the middle of the ruins with bows and defensive mode on while watching a movie on another computer gets your health up very fast. That, or reload.
Don't you levelling maniacs have anything better to do? Like, actually play the game without using obscure cheating techniques? :P
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #91
quote:

quote:

Don't you levelling maniacs have anything better to do? Like, actually play the game without using obscure cheating techniques? :P

No.

Currently I'm just solving the stupid puzzles in the ruins. Also, the second its mentioned that King Feston "Suffered a wasting disease of both body and mind" It becomes clear that the Stone of Night is in fact, radioactive.

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #92
The first puzzle in the ruins can be easily solved - if you've searched everything carefully, you should have found a chest in the sewers with a book that gives you instructions on how to operate the manual override.

The puzzles in the lower level are pretty easy - just activate as many levers as you can until you can pull the central lever. But do watch out for that nasty resetting lever puzzle.

As for the "radioactive Stone of Night", that's one of the funniest things that's ever been said about Homeland. :D
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #93
I know the puzzles in the ruins off by heart.

However, after leaving WW I am now seriously lost. Does anyone have a map for Homeland lying around I could refer to?

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #94
I do have the hintbook maps... They're not that helpful, but I suppose I could try to scan them. :)
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #95
Send em.

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #96
Is this still only in the rar format?

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #97
(Scans coming soon *if* I can get the scanner to work)

Salmon : Honestly, if you're too lazy to download 7-zip, a *free* utility that can decompress RAR files and is much better than WinZip, you don't want to play Homeland.

EDIT : Map of Octavia sent. ;)

[ Saturday, February 09, 2008 01:21: Message edited by: The Lurker ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #98
quote:
you don't want to play Homeland
... because you can't ban me for quoting you out of context. :P

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #99
Bad Aran

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*

Pages