An RP in the World of Avernum *Reloaded*

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: An RP in the World of Avernum *Reloaded*
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #326
I'm out too, with the same reasons as Thralni.

But it doesn't matter; most of the action is taking place in Valorim anyway.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #327
OOC: I'm hoping this is alright.

IC:

Mernal had finally reached his goal. Gernas, and other nephilim. However, something was horribly wrong in the camp, for as far as he could see from the other shore of the lake. Huts seemed to be burning, and the Nephilim were running around in terror. There are problems afoot! He ordered the army to move, quickly, and it started running. When they came close by, they saw what was happening. Creatures from hell! The Nephil god... punishes us... Big cats, it seemed, dressed in red cloaks, were detsroying the camp and killing the Nephilim.

"Charge!"

Mernal screamed for the army to charge, and so they did. In afew minutes the Nephiim were attacking the Raksashi.

They were strong. Their red eyes predicted nothing good, and their arms were like steel. Archers fired at them, with succes. Some Raksashi fell, but many more came in their place. They seemed unstoppable. The army of Nephilim slowly became smaller and smaller, until only 30 of the mightiest warriors remained, including Mernal. When a Raksashi mage fired his bolt of fire, mernal didn't resist. he fell, severly wounded. His cloak, in which the spying scrolls were carried, were burnt.

---

The four spies who were scattered over Valorim suddenly felt an intense heat to their waists. they opened their cloaks and all found the remnants of the scroll in their cloak. Four spies, one concluision:

"Mernal is dead."

---

OOC: All of you who still participate: this is the end of the FNF. You may use my spies at your will. There is one at frt emergence, at the faction "KIL", at the goblins that no longer exist and one at the Keepers of Knowledge.

I hope the Raksashi being there is acceptable.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #328
OOC: Oh, yes, a closing post. Short and sharp.

IC: Riner had made the final preperations for the war, and was leading the 1000-or-so soldiers out of Solaria when a lone rider emerged on the horizon.

As the rider got closer, he saw that he had a flag that bore the Righteous Return's symbol on it, as well as a white flag.

Once within arrow-range, he stopped, to show his good faith. But Riner didn't regard that; he simply strode boldly over to him - a stupid mistake.

The last words that Riner ever spoke were, "Greetings, good man. What --"

OOC: Drakey, make of that what you will. I'm not participating in the RP anymore, so don't fear any repercussions from it. :P

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #329
Fortress of Grah-Hoth.

"I have scryed for the Red Beacon. It was located on the surface in the posession of Scarmiglione. He was using it to control rakshasi. I sent a small force including some of my anti-magic forces to teleport to a viable point nearest the Red Beacon.
"They are now in a temple. The humans there were in an chaotic uproar over the rakshasi and were easy to ... 'persuade' to help in removing them."

"Rakshasi? I would prefer if you did not kill them all. When this 'Red Beacon' has been secured I would like to contact them."

[ Wednesday, May 03, 2006 09:30: Message edited by: radix malorum est cupiditas ]

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #330
Someone?

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #331
Soon-- maybe even today. But this is crunch time, so don't expect too much activity.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #332
OOC: I was waiting for Lazarus, but he's spontaneously combusted apparently. A short post then:

IC:

Drale was riding with a company of twenty men. They had been successful today; one of the few trading convoys left had fallen to their blades. It was a good haul; new wands and scrolls for everyone.

Now he was riding back to the mountains, to examine his pickings. The nearest outpost was close.

Suddenly, a man on a horse burst into view. He waved a scroll in the air, and looked like he had traveled many miles. His hair was wild and his horse weary. He moved towards Drale.

In an instant, the men around Drale drew their swords and bows and wands. One hand gesture and the man would be blasted out of existence.

But they waited. Drale rode out to meet him.
"Halt, stranger! These are Looter lands. What business have you with us?"
The man, panting, handed Drale the scroll. It was a letter from Demetrius. So, he was willing to parley. Interesting. These Rakshasi must be quite strong to worry the Dominion.
"Tell your master I offer of a ceasefire in favor of an opposition to the Rakshasi. We can meet in a neutral place to discuss terms."

The messenger rode off. Two bitter enemies had allied. Ermarian was truly banding together to defeat a common enemy.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #333
There will be no IC from me for at least a week yet. I don't have time for writing with the new apartment and all.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #334
Probably nothing from me until Tuesday-ish. Exams, moving out, camping trip, moving back in...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #335
I hate Blosk. I always have. I guess it doesn't matter anymore.
General Petyr, leader of the Army of Avernum and nominal co-ruler of Avernum was surveying the blasted ruins of what had once been one of the proudest cities in Avernum. Well, it was proud no more. With the help of Thomys, personal mage of the late King Lartaynior and the other ruler of Avernum, and his mages, the Knights of Old Avernum had breached the walls and soundly defeated Mayor Renlo's rebellious forces. As he reflecting on this great victory, a courier approached him.

"Sir! I have a letter from Mayor Roband of Dharmon for you."

"Well, let me see it, then."

He unrolled the parchment and smiled as he read. It seems that Roband was so terrified by what happened at Blosk, that he was offering his unconditional surrender.

This is good news. Of course we'll have to remove him from power and install someone less rebellious, but it is good news all the same. Now that we have regained control of the Great Cave, we can concentrate on finding some way to combat the evil presence that destroyed Torfen.

OoC: Let's get this thing rolling again!

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #336
*necromantic facepalm*

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #337
OOC: Whoa.

I'd love to do this again, but I highly doubt that it'll start up again. Not only do we have to try remember what we did all those months ago, we're also missing a few members (TM, Alec, Infernal; though Infernal may return). At any rate, expect nothing from me until Thursday at the earliest.

--------------------
OOOOC: Oh, the joys of having a C++ assignment due tomorrow when none of the TAs know anything about C++.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #338
OOC: Nanowrimo released me from its clutches. I'm in. Wait a bit.

Also, Alec will return. Not to detract from the great man, but his "I'm Leaving Like Forever" has ended up being empty bravado several times before.

Okay. Ready. Let me get my maps and stuff back together. What was the plot? Where did we end up? Who else is missing - I'll send out a few PMs/emails if necessary. Slarty, where's your roster? Is it up to date?

Haul anchor!

[ Friday, December 01, 2006 16:04: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #339
Well, when Slarty bowed out, i took over the roster. It can be found here. I'm not sure how up to date it is. The biggest issue we have is that 3 of the posters are banned, one of them permanently and another never planning on coming back. Maybe we can bring some new people in to take over their factions?

[ Saturday, December 02, 2006 16:07: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #340
Did someone mention taking over?

Is there somewhere I can read over what this is all about and how it works? Tyranicus, that link doesn't work.

--------------------
You lose.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #341
You could start by reading the rest of this topic.

Anyway, Dikiyoba has effectively done nothing, so Dikiyoba could take over an abandoned faction too if need be.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #342
Let me catch up with everything, and I shall endevour to post an IC post sharpish.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #343
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Did someone mention taking over?

Is there somewhere I can read over what this is all about and how it works? Tyranicus, that link doesn't work.

Fixed. Let's see how many of the old participants still want to continue before divvying up the unattended factions, although we can be fairly certain that Alec will not be back, and TM is pretty much indefinitely banned.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #344
I am willing to continue, however it was Drakey's turn to post for the battle.

I look forward to it.

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #345
I am also willing to continue, though it will require a bit of conferring with Infernal and TM, since a lot of our plotlines overlapped...

For future Out of Context posts, please see this thread, which was set aside to keep this one from getting needlessly cluttered, just like it is now. :D

Aran-Edit:
Please also check in the OOC before making any new IC posts here or (heavens beware) entering with a new faction.

[ Sunday, December 03, 2006 04:07: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------

Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #346
:(

[ Sunday, December 03, 2006 14:45: Message edited by: Kuber ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #347
“Captain?”

Startled out of his reverie, Erhart looked behind him. “Ah, Lieutenant Neilson,” he replied, attempting unsuccessfully to force a smile. He patted the rock he was sitting on as he turned back to look down the ridge. “Come sit with me.”

Silently, Neilson sat down next to Erhart and together they looked down the hillside. After a moment, he cleared his throat. “So... ah, what are the results of the search?”

Erhart grunted without looking at his second-in-command. “About what was to be expected,” he replied softly.

The two men gazed down upon the ruined town that lay a few hundred feet away from the bottom of the hill. The majority of the Dominion Guard and the handful of magi brought along on the expedition to Karnold were setting up camp on the other side of the hill. However, the long shadows of a few dozen men played over the shattered ruins of Angel’s Rest. The men down there were faced with the grisly task of recovering the bodies and placing them in the rows of newly dug graves to the southwest of the town. And, of course, coming up with a body count.

Erhart rubbed his nose. The evening winds had thankfully shifted, but he couldn’t seem to get the horrific stench out of his nostrils from his midday trip in the town. “It doesn’t seem that the Rakshasi returned to Angel’s Rest after the Massacre, or lingered overly long after the battle. That news, at least, is good.” He drew a deep breath and continued. “It seems that the evacuation we attempted failed completely. Most of the civilians were found nearby the gate. We won’t be certain until the men down there come up with the final civilian and Dominion death toll, but I think it’s safe to say that the vast majority of the Battlemage force didn’t escape.” For a minute, he continued staring vacantly at the town. Then with a shake he pushed away the memories. “We should get the men out of there. It’s nearly dark.”

“I don’t think that’s a concern,” Neilson replied. “I have patrols between us and the mountains. If any of the tigers want to challenge us tonight, we’ll know in advance. And if there’s a problem to the northeast, the couriers to the Anama will send word back.”

Erhart nodded slowly. “I know, but that doesn’t stop me from worrying. In any case, it won’t be enjoyable hauling around corpses after dark in enemy territory.”

“You’re probably right,” Neilson responded as he got up, brushing the dirt off of his trousers. “I’ll send the word for the men to return to camp. They can finish in the morning.” He started walking away, but turned back after a few steps. “By the way, did the root help you sleep last night?”

“Oh yes,” Erhart said back, managing to keep the lie from touching his voice. “No dreams.”

“That’s good to hear.” Neilson looked skyward. “At least the accursed weather is clearing up.”

“That’s another thing that’s worrying me,” Erhart murmured to himself as his subordinate walked away.

Somebody’s not in a good mood,” Tychius remarked as he walked up to Celeste.

“Sorry,” she replied as she shrugged her shoulders and smiled apologetically. “Just stress, I guess.” At this time of day she would normally be reading by her tent, watching the sun set over the stormy waters of the Bay of Bigail, not frantically scurrying from cart to cart, making sure that no incompetent fool cracked one of the power crystals entrusted to her care.

“That’s not all that’s bothering you,” Tychius observed.

Celeste breathed out forcibly through clenched teeth. “No, it’s not. After weeks of preparation, we finally get the spell set up to stop the Anama from invading Karnold. Then these Raksha-whatsits appear out of nowhere, and Demetrius sends us a letter kindly asking us to pack up and head back to the College. I understand that these tigers may be the larger of the two threats, but the Anama Archbishop doesn’t strike as the kind of man to wait patiently for his sworn enemies to defeat a threat to their survival before resuming the war effort.” She shook her head. “Despite what the message said about these things allegedly razing Angel’s Rest, I’d still place Bigail higher on the threat list. I haven’t even heard of these bloody things before!”

“Nor have I. I’m an elementalist, not a scholar,” Tychius responded. He chuckled suddenly. “Odd, it always seemed to me that experimentation with the inner workings of the elements would be more practical than studying extra-planar beings.” He stepped to the side as half a dozen men walked past, carrying on of the power crystals. “Anyway, according to Captain Erhart’s letter, a parley was sent to Softport as well as to the Looters and the Alliance.”

Celeste started to respond, then suddenly ran off to one of the carts to aid the men loading the crystals. Tychius grinned, bemused, as she began to loudly berate one of the men for nearly letting his side drop. After a minute, she returned, shaking her head. “Why, oh why, am I stuck with babysitting those lummoxes? It’ll be a miracle if none of the crystals are cracked beyond repair by the time we get to Golddale. Anyway, I suppose it’s worth a shot sending an envoy to the Anama, but I’m not keeping my hopes up. I’m not sure what Demetrius is doing sending an official envoy to a bunch of raiding rabble, but who am I, a lowly Agent, to ask? As for the Alliance... don’t get me started on the Alliance. Even after a civil war, Krizsan province still has enough fighting men to wipe us out. I don’t want to be around when that powder keg explodes.”

Tychius opened his mouth to reply, and then noticed another group of men leaving the cave carrying a crystal. “Ah, I do believe that’s the last of them. Time to depart, I think.”

--------------------
All right, done refreshing myself on the details. Note the interspersed plot recap. :P

I should point out that the Dominion hasn’t heard about the razing of Aminro. I’ll get around to Demetrius and Diego next post, and maybe one of the minor characters like Alexandria or Denise.

Let’s get this party started!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #348
-------------------
No force in nature can triumph forever. It's only a matter of time until a tree falls on it. - Teachings of the Order
-------------------

The portal stayed open as another demon climbed out of it. The air began to smell uncomfortably of sulfur, and a few of the novices that accompanied the expedition started gagging.

"Humans!" the second demon shouted in a raspy voice reminiscent of spearpoints dragging across chalkboards. "I am Akrahd, and I come from the netherworld!"

It held up a few claws for dramatic effect. However, the first demon began sniggering, a sound which reminded Brother Redscale of dying animals.

"Silence, Brektkhazadar!" Akrahd said. He quickly clawed Brektkhazadar with a greenish arm-like protrusion from his torso, and he stopped sniggering.

A few of the more senior priests with the expedition had begun to chant spells, and the warriors in the party were edging towards the demons. Brother Redscale bade them to stop with a wave of his hand.

"What brings you to Vantanas?"

Akrahd sniggered this time. "You do not know? You cannot feel the force whose power is enough to disrupt the fabric of this world and ours? You humans are truly more inept than we had thought."

Brother Redscale pointed at Brektkhazadar, uttered a single syllable of power, and a thin bolt of pure white light burst from the tips of his claws. It struck Brektkhazadar's torso, and burned a hole straight through it. The demon winced.

"Right, right, right..." he said. "So these are so-called 'holy' ones. Then you should be concerned about this as much as us!"

"Why, foul one?"

Akrahd spoke. "The cats threaten us all, you (untranslatable demonic curse)"

Brother Redscale gave Akrahd a harsh look, and the demon apologized for the curse.

"We have many soldiers! You should fear us!"

"So do we, demon," Redscale said, gesturing to the party around him, which was slowly closing in on the portal.

"Fine, fine, fine," Akrahd said, edging towards the swirling red portal. "We don't want to fight you anyway. Right, Brekt?"

"But Akrahd, just yesterday you said—" Brektkhazadar was cut off by a claw applied directly to what was probably his face. After a moment, he regained his composure. "Yeah, that's exactly what you said."

"Our only wish is to fight that which threatens our plane. The (untranslatable demonic curse) cats!"

"The cats?" Redscale said. Somewhere in the back of the ruined temple, Brother Wolfbane heard this and shuddered.

"Yes, you fool! The (curse) (curse) (curse) rakshasi, those (curse) (curse) of (curse) (curse) that (curse) their (curse)!"

"Rakshasi?!" Redscale yelled.

But they exist only in legend! Could Wolfbane have seen... surely no. There must be a logical explanation for—

Redscale's thoughts were interrupted by a piercing cry from the back of the temple, followed by a crumbling sound and angry snarling.

OoC: Yay! I'm back in.

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #349
Erhart slowed as he drew near to the large tent at the edge of his bivouac. “Agent Denise?” he asked tentatively, and continued when the woman nodded. “I’m Captain Erhart. I take it you’ve received my message?”

“I didn’t get any letter, Erhart,” Denise responded in the usual Agent disregard for authority. “We decided to return south after we heard rumours from some high-ranking Looters about the truce.” Noting Erhart’s confused expression, she continued. “A lot of the Looter’s communication is done through their items. A fair bit more dependable than your couriers, I’d say.”

Erhart nodded, then glanced pointedly at the tent. “And what of your... unexpected surprise?”

“Ah, yes. Him. We nabbed him when we came across him and a few of his friends just after Aminro. We’d heard from the Looters that wands and the like didn’t hurt them, but our illusions seemed to work just fine.”

“Illusions,” Erhart mused. “That doesn’t help us much. Most of the handful of magi with us would barely be able to conjure an illusion, let alone a believable one, and from what I understand of your Agents under your command, illusions is all that they are proficient at. No offence,” he added belatedly, but Denise seemed to agree with his assessment. “So, how many were there?”

“Four, if you include him,” Denise replied. “The only reason we didn’t kill him with the rest was because he was already wounded, and didn’t run into what the rest thought was melee.”

“Already wounded? But,” Erhart began to say, then frowned. “Wait, you said, ‘into melee’. Were they all fighters?” His puzzlement grew when Denise nodded. “That’s very strange. As I understand it, they are not only immune to magic, but also regenerate when exposed to it. It would be ignoring their greatest tactical strength to send out a group of melee fighters alone. Seems our friend has a few questions coming his way.”

He moved towards the entrance of the tent, but Denise stepped in front of him first, eyes downcast. “Erhart,” she began, “I’ve heard from your men that you escaped from Angel’s Rest. Was... did anyone else leave with you? My brother, Jakob... he...”

She stopped, unable to continue, and Erhart slowly shook his head. “Yes, I knew Agent Jakob. He wasn’t stationed with the Guard, but he was working out of Angel’s Rest. I’m sorry, but as far as I know so far, I was the only one to escape. Permitted to escape, actually.” He paused for a moment, debating whether or not to give her a kernel of hope, before continuing. “We think that a number of our forces might have slipped away from the battle. There aren’t enough bodies in the town for our casualties and the estimated number of Angel’s Rest’s civilians. It’s possible that Agent Jakob could have escaped as well.”

Denise was silent for a moment before replying. “Thank you. It’s just that... thank you.” With that she left, leaving the captain alone in front of the canvas flap. Erhart took a deep breath, and then entered the tent.

It took his eyes a moment to adjust to the gloom within. In one corner sat Lieutenant Neilson, reading a report by candlelight. Next to him stood one of Denise’s men, busy cleaning a darkly stained cloth in a basin of water. The spindly man glanced over his shoulder as Erhart entered. “I was just cleaning his wounds. I think his wounds are infected.” By the stench, the man was right.

The Rakshasi hung spread eagle on two wooden beams nailed together to form an X. The forearms and legs were securely tied to the wood, and by the way he hung, it seemed that both shoulders were dislocated. Every so often, the tiger would push himself up and take a shallow breath before sagging back down. His gaze, however, remained fixed on the ground the entire time.

The Agent walked up next to Erhart. “It’s an early part of the breaking process,” he quietly confided. “It always has to exert itself to breath; the way it hangs would cause it to asphyxiate otherwise.”

Erhart nodded. “Does he speak Imperial?”

The man shrugged. “It hasn’t spoken since we captured it, although it did seem able to understand basic instructions. We have no idea how much it can understand,” he added with a pointed look.

After taking a moment to collect himself, Erhart stepped closer to the beast. “I am Captain Erhart of the Dominion of the Learned. Who are you?” The Rakshasi didn’t respond, didn’t even raise his head. Erhart cleared his throat, and then continued. “Where is your army located?” No response. “Who attacked your force?” No response. Disgusted, he turned around and began walking towards Neilson. Suddenly, he froze, as the being snarled.

“All you slowly die for your doing.”

Erhart slowly turned around. The creature’s eyes were locked with his. “What?”

“All you slowly die for your doing. We kill your army. We kill your scouts. We kill your One Eye.” The tiger stopped, labouring for a breath. “I kill you.”

Erhart swallowed, unable to speak. From the other side of the tent came the sound of rustling papers, and then Lieutenant Neilson stepped beside his commanding officer. “Of all the lives here,” he stated slowly, “the one you should be the most concerned with is your own.”

The Rakshasi bared his fangs in what might have been the parody of a smile. “I not break. You try. I not break. I kill you. I kill all you.”

Erhart held the beast’s gaze for a moment, then bent down to speak in the Agent’s ear. “Redouble your efforts,” he whispered. With that, he turned around again and headed out of the tent, the tiger’s words echoing in his head. I kill you. I kill all you.

Neilson stepped out behind Erhart, squinting from the transition into the noonday sun. “We’ve received some reports from our advance scouts. There’s definitely activity around Castle Trog.”

Erhart didn’t respond at first, lost in his thoughts. “The Rakshasi’s group was attacked,” he said finally. “By this ‘One Eye’, I’d wager. Archmage Diego, or another Battlemage?”

Neilson thought for a moment, and then nodded. “Definitely possible. Seeing that the man was able to escape Avernum during the revolution, a battle wouldn’t be too difficult. This is the first concrete evidence that someone survived.”

Stroking his chin, Erhart gazed at the mountains to the north. “Spread the news,” he said finally. “We’re breaking camp.”

--------------------
I meant to post this a couple of nights ago, but something came up and I was unavoidably delayed.
(Read: rented a four-disc Looney Tunes anthology from the library. “Leopold!” “Leopold!” “Leopold!” “Leopold!”)

I’ve decided to focus solely on the army for a while instead of jumping all over the place as I had originally intended.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #350
OOC: And then, Grand Librarian Alfgar revived the thread, because even with a citadel full of archives it is always easier to continue playing when the original remains.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair. | I have a love of woodwind instruments.
"That damn meddling eskimo." --WKS about Alorael

Pages