An RP in the World of Avernum *Reloaded*

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: An RP in the World of Avernum *Reloaded*
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #100
OOC: I'd like to ask that we do slow down a bit and try to limit it to about one post a day.

For the sake of simplicity are we just going to assume that the Vahnatai the Serith placed in the Eastern part of the Eastern Gallery have eliminated his group?

IC:
Attempting to contact the Guild magically was completely out of the question. Therefore Acrio had decided to send a group of seven mages, and his trusted advisor Denrich to Almaria. He wasn't sure how well they'd be recieved, but certainly the Guild would have a representative in such a major city.

Of a greater concern was the disappearance of the presence they had detected before. Despite further scrying (attempted with great care), only Denrich's first vision had proved useful. Acrio found this news to be very disturbing; however, there was nothing they could do until they had recieved word from the Guild.

With that in mind, work on improving the fortress continued. The gardens were finished, and work to reinforce the defensive grid began. This too proved much more difficult than expected. The previous enchantments had been put in place by an extremely powerful archmagi of the Empire. It was not uncommon for such barriers to react in a very hostile way when tampered with magically.

However, on the positive side note, the mages had made major progress on translating one of Khoth's Scrolls. As it turned out, the scroll documented a spell which Khoth had invented years before. In essence it was a permanent version of the Light spell. This was thought to be a great boon at first. Then the mages realized they had not yet discovered how to turn off the lights.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #101
Lt. Sullust: Are you occupying Khoth's ruins or the Slith Lands?

[ Saturday, March 25, 2006 10:58: Message edited by: Infernal666hate ]

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #102
Our world has tasted chaos before. The fall of the first empire, the ruthless expansion of the second, the cavern wars and the retribution of the Vahnatai. Through all these disasters, all times of turmoil, civilization has endured because there were those that would guard the old knowledge, keep records of the times, and write down the history that others forge. Such is the task that we have set ourselves.

"...was crowned Emperor Ironclad II on the ninth of Radiane 219 IE, bringing the first Pralgadian War of Succession to an end."

"Lieutenant Skorgere reporting, Master."

Master Alfgar looked up from the book he had been reading to survey the man who had just entered his study. He frowned.

"The custom of knocking is believed to have been introduced to human culture in the early Aizoan Mesolithic age, when the invention of ranged weapons and rudimentary magic made it prudent to indicate one was not entering a home with hostile intent," he lectured the intruder testily. "The intervening time should have been long enough to make it universal, but alas..."

The man looked confused; he was obviously new to the Alfgar's antics. He soon recovered, however.

"My apologies Master Alfgar. I come with a message from Magus Orson of the northern forces. The scouts report that goblin activity has increased dramatically. Their efforts appear to be directed chiefly toward the Pralgadian mainland, but caution dictates we ready ourselves for a possible assault."

"The goblins have never had much use for magical knowledge, but then they are known to kill humans on sight. They will not try to conquer our knowledge, but they may try to attack us in passing if it is convenient.

"Strengthen the northern fortifications. If necessary, draw off forces from the southern area. The nephilim are closer, but we have a truce for now."

"Sir?" The soldier looked doubtful. "Can the Nephilim be trusted?"

"No further than most in these tumultous times, but I'll take my chances with them over the blood-frenzied goblins and the human imperialists any day. Thank you, Lieutenant. You are dismissed."

Skorgere turned to leave, but then remembered something.

"I also met Magister Tarsin in the lower halls; he said to tell you that the translations for the Ratbane Project are nearly finished, and that you'd understand."

"I do, indeed. This is excellent news, lieutenant." Alfgar smiled as the soldier left. The history of the ancient nephilim clan had been completely obscured until a shaman of the southern Fâhif had lent his aid; his proficiency with the ancient dialects had been the key to unlocking the previously unreadable archives. In return, the Nephilim had been granted access to several magical tomes as well as a detailed historical map* that was hard to come by these days. The times made for strange alliances, and friends in unexpected places, but Alfgar was ready to do what was necessary to increase the library and protect its contents.

(OOC: *Heh)
======

Faction: The Keepers of Memory
Faction Leader: Grand Librarian and Archivist Alfgar
mountains, Northern Valorim.
Description: In some form, the historians' guild has existed since shortly before the Anama War. Playing no or merely an unimportant role in world events, they have been mostly ignored by non-scholars, until the founders of Redmark college began their encyclopedic efforts in 843 IE. In the course of their cooperation, the guild expanded their field to include the collection of magical and other non-historical knowledge.

The latter has given them power and influence on the scale of other magery schools, even though most of the scholars are no mages themselves. Unfortunately, the knowledge and power they hoard has made them an attractive target, and they have been forced to build up additional fortifications and defenses, mercenaries and permanently employed soldiers.

They are not aligned politically; their only motivation is the protection of their records and the gathering and production of new ones. However, in these troubled times, they may well have to take a more active role to ensure their survival...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #103
OOC: Good idea, Lt. Sullust. The problem is enforcing it. If some faction attacks me right after my post for the day, and that faction is in the habit of posting more that once a day, I will make sure I respond.

Also, I strongly recommend that any new people joining the RP base themselves in Aizo or Vantanas. I know the other areas have a better developed game canon, but Archmage Alex and Ephesos are going to get bored playing by themselves.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #104
OOC: If previous RPs are any indication, we'll be all in the same scenes before long.

Also, I think it might be a good idea to put together a rough map of Ermarian according to the positions and sizes outlined by Alec. This would then be marked by the different factions.

--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #105
TM sez:
OOC:

No. This is drawbridging. It is flat-out impossible for you to have a navy of "wand-cannon ships" at this point in time.

1. You have not had the timeframe nor the materials to construct a navy. Ships take a great deal of wood and a great deal of manhours. Assume that you have the manhours (which itself is impossible given how many of your men have been devoted into Avernum excursions and wholesale conquering of cities). How did you get the wood so quickly? To combat the pirate force in the city, a faction of your size would have had to have spent the last 10-20 years diverting all of its industrial strength into its navy-building. To simply have the ships is impossible.

2. The "wand-cannons" are also rather impossible, sorry. The Dominion is also a new organization. They don't have the capacities to construct wands powerful enough to meaningfully damage pirate ships, especially at the level to which you're claiming that they do. Hell, they would have had to devoted their entire faction's existence to have produced that many wands.

This point is a bit tertiary since it shouldn't be an issue, but:
3. Heck, if this "secret navy" existed beforehand, then where? And if so, the pirates would have seen it sooner. (Plus, if it's near your capitol, the spies the Guild sent would have seen it too.) You can't hide a force that large. (Which is to say, it's impolite as an RPer to say that I get destroyed by your secret force, rather than I do the obvious thing- find it and decide to stay away.)

4. Keep in mind that I literally cannot hold any land in your cities or land without being discovered and chased back ashore. All I'm doing is stopping all trade between you and anyone not named "Dominion of the Learned." So okay- maybe you can push me directly away from your cities, assuming that you have a navy sufficient to do so (which is impossible). You still can't constantly patrol the waters inbetween Kriszan and other ports of call. I can.

Oh yeah:

5. Dintiradan- Probably me being a pedant, but how would the Anama peasantry even know about the "Learned?" I mean, the rest of your post is fine, but that part seemed a little bit presumptuous.

Anyway, I'll deal with other business in this post until the OOC matters are resolved.

----

"Recon reports say that Valorim is being split among abjectly evil groups who are forming alliances against one another?" Rubicante is looking at a map of Valorim as one of his units placed on reconnaissance gives him a report.
"Yes, Master Rubicante. The Dominion and Hunters seem to be allying against the Anama. Plus, there's raiders who don't seem to belong to either group pestering Softport. We're not quite sure if there's an alliance in the works, or if they're simply being opportunistic."
"The New Anama are a new organization. They will fall quickly. My only fear is that we don't necessarily have the manpower to deal with dismantling the other upstarts in the region. Certianly, we can hold the waters around Valorim, but these groups don't appear to be too concerned with anything other than robbing one another blind. Mercantile activity in Kriszan Province has all but died, and yet these 'Hunters' seem intent on butchering as if nothing happened."
Cagnazzo turns his head towards the discussion. "Sir, if y'be wantin' to dismantle these organizations, might I suggest hitting them in the floodplains? The Hunters be plaguing Valorim, and that region's roads, crops, everything- really close to the shore. Yer right, Rubicante, to that we can't be bargin' into their land and expect to stay, but their bread basket be free for the taking."
Rubicante was surprised. He knew that Cagnazzo wasn't stupid, but it's not often that they're good for warring as well. "It's a good idea, but what army can we use to pierce through?"
"Aye, we don't have an army... But we do have heavy artillery that could even get some units into storerooms, which are often conveniently placed right near harbors. Heck, with luck, our fire might even smash the warehouses 'emselves."
"But if we use our own units..."
"We don't have to. We have the Druids. Plus, if we can hold the waters around their main ports, they won't even be able to fish themselves out of starvation."

Rubicante thought this over. The pirate had given him an incredibly feasible option for once. But one thing bothered him: "What about the Dominion, Anama and these raiders?"
Cagnazzo shrugged. "Where you see a College, sir, I see a dungeon."
The reconnaissance piped up. "And sir, remember that recent developments prove the Anama's susceptibility to propaganda."
"Hmm... Yes, fine. I can see your plan. No problem. But the Hunters won't truly be disbanded until Clearwater can find a way to undo the brainwashing."

----

In other news, a representative of the Guild intercepted members of Khoth's Disciples and they made their way back to Fort Dolthar to meet Sulfi to negotiate the deal.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #106
OOC: To be specific, the only territory held by Khoth's Disciples is Fort Dolthar and the island it lies on.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #107
OOC: In response to TM's (Imban's) post:

Yes, I agree that GoldenKing went a little overboard with the 'secret forces'. In my post on his behalf, I said that he was going to start on the construction of a fleet. I'll try to work it into the next post how his efforts are spreading his forces too thin.

Also, the Dominion has not started the selling of magical weapons (yet). I have loaned him some mages, but he pulled the wand-cannons out of his hat.

A couple things on #5:

If you read carefully, it was my Agents playing both sides of the crowd. Also, it was in Sharimik (on the mainland), and in previous posts I had sent Agents into the area to talk about the Dominion of the Learned. (Admittedly, it was in Angel's Rest that I wrote about, but presumably word has spread). The whole 'peasanty' thing was just flavour, I made a mini-faction for Sharimik: a feudal state.

Anyway, I'll do an IC post either later on tonight or tomorrow morning for both factions.

EDIT: Aran's idea of a giant map is nice. It would be nice to know where Vantanas is in relation to Valorim if I (on GoldenKings behalf) have to defend the Hunters from the Guild and the Druids.

[ Saturday, March 25, 2006 17:00: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #108
IC: The Archbishop sat at his desk in his study and shuffled through reports and letters. He had heard strange news from all corners of Valorim, but the most recent of the letters was foremost in his mind, a letter from General Cyril. Very strange news indeed…

Father Steele spoke, “Your holiness, these Anama we hear about in Sharimik must be impostors, the Church has not authorized any activity in that area.”

“Of course they are fake,” the Archbishop replied, “my agents in Sharimik would never be foolish enough to reveal themselves.”

“Then who are these men?”

“Someone who wishes to see us fail. I see the subterfuge of vile wizards beneath this.”

“Your holiness, perhaps we should abandon our efforts in Karnold Province, there are other places we can look to find metal.”

“No, the wizards have slandered our Church, if we are to eradicate them from the continent then we will have to attack their breeding ground, Redmark College, to the South.”

“We do not have the strength to deal with the wizards and a rebellion. Better to cut our losses and return to Bigail.”

“No, ” Archbishop Knor replied, angry now at the thought of defeat at the hands of wizards, “that is why we will need allies in the area. My agents tell me that a man named Lord O’Leary runs Sharimik, a feudal Lord from a once great house, but he lacks a strong military. We have much to offer him.”

“Your holiness, feudal Lords seldom bargain for religion.”

“No father, not religion, we offer order. Fetch me parchment and ink, there is hope yet for our dominion of Karnold.”

Father Steele brought the paper and was prepared to leave, but the Archbishop called to him before he could close the door, “Steele, bring me Xavier Cresden.”

Steele stopped dead, visibly shaken. However he quickly recovered enough of his composure to reply “Your holiness, should I give him time to clean up first?”

The archbishop had already turned back to his desk, “That will be fine.” A delay would be alright, it would give him time to write two letters, one to General Cyril, one to Lord O’Leary of Sharimik.

OoC: Second post of the day, but they are both just talk and foreshadowing.

[ Saturday, March 25, 2006 18:05: Message edited by: Lazarus ]

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #109
The last of the nephilim were surrounded and weaponless; the lone shaman had an arrow trained on him, ready to let fly the instant he should attempt a spell. Of the other human army, there was no sign - they had withdrawn the moment that victory had been assured, fading back into the hills without hostility, but also without any visible desire to communicate with the Kazian knights. Enhard had commanded that they be allowed to pass through their lines without incident, for they carried their dead and injured with them, and such concern for their fallen comrades was honourable.

Enhard turned his attention to his prisoners. The cat-like beings were spitting defiance and what he assumed were deadly insults in their own tongue. There were ten of them, all injured in some degree; one was larger than most, and more injured than most. It was for this one's life that the others had surrendered rather than fight to the death, and Enhard suspected this nephil to be their leader.

Stepping forward, he placed himself directly in front of the large nephil. The others hissed and moved restlessly, but a single hard glance from Enhard stilled them. He regarded the leader for a long moment. He had never seen a nephil before, and studied it closely. He had taken their measure in this battle; now all that remained was to follow the instructions of the Avatar on the approach to be taken with nonhumans. For his part, the nephil leader endured the silent inspection, returning it with his own. Though his wounds must be painful, he showed no sign of it that the high cleric could recognise.

"Nephil," Enhard intoned.

Black lips pulled back from sharp canines. "Human," the nephil replied in clear imitation of his tone.

Enhard twitched an eyebrow up in amusement. "These lands are under the blessing of Kaz, Lord of War. God has no interest in yours. Seek not to trespass upon His dominion in violence, and Kaz will extend to you the same courtesy."

The nephil stared at him. "Humans speak lies," he snarled. His accent was thick, filled with strange burrs and rolls that no human could attempt, but understandable.

Both eyebrows rose this time. "You are not human," he stated. "You are the children of a different pantheon. Kaz has no interest in you. Take the words of Kaz to your people, if you will, and know that we will follow it to the letter." With that, he signalled to his men, and they allowed the nephilim free. The cats walked slowly towards their mountains, ears twitching as the lines of human knights watched them pass.

A cleric stepped up to Enhard's elbow. "General," he murmured. "Shall we follow?"

Enhard watched the nephilim disappear over the hill. "At a distance, Gerulf. To the borders of our land."

--------------------

The Avatar gazed down on the young cleric, who fought to still the shiver running down her spine. "I have a mission for you, Mareike."

Her eyes brightened with delight. "A mission, my lord?" Less a disciplined soldier and more a scholar, the cleric would have bounced on her knees in excitement, had not the steady and - somehow, she imagined - amused gaze of the Avatar held her to propriety.

"Aye, child. Knowledge has left these lands, and My kin are but a dim memory in the dark dreams of the people. Yet some among you have preserved that which they do not understand. Go, then, you will, to the Keepers of Memory, and obtain those scrolls that My most devout child once wrote."

Mareike swallowed. "And - and where might I find these Keepers, my lord?"

The brilliance of the Avatar's gaze seemed to be directed far beyond her. "Follow the river to land's end. Take then a ship, and search you the mountains bounded by sea. The Keepers may be found there."

Even as she bowed and was dismissed, Mareike's mind was full of excitement. A mission for the great lord! A chance to do something worthy of God. All she needed now was to find the captain and squadron assigned to her, and sort out the supplies.

[ Saturday, March 25, 2006 19:37: Message edited by: premonition ]
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #110
Demetrius stroked the goatee he had begun to cultivate. At this point, it was beginning to be unnecessary to incite the people of Karnold further. Once the Anama's forces began to move south from Softport, the people would be begging for the Dominion to save them from the restrictive Anama. He decided to sent a few of the Agent he had employed to incite the crowds in Angel's Rest and Sharimik to the Dellston and Poulsbo area. He had decided that the Looters were not a land-holding faction, but only a large band of warriors. Demetrius pursed his lips in thought. He had no immediate plans for the Lorelei area, but it never hurt to prepare the area in advance.

He turned to the next issue at hand, the power crystals being brought up from the Fort Emergence area. With those, he could begin work on one of the major projects he was waiting to start. But there was always the imminent invasion from Bigail. If the Anama came in force, he would have to use the crystals for defense instead. He began writing a letter for Agent Celeste. She was to bring the wagon through Porter's Retreat to Golddale, and then through the mines to the College. Moving the wagon through the mines would be slow-going, but if the attack came early, it would ultimately save time.

--------------------
I had intended O'Leary to exist for flavour only. Feel free to use him, just don't make him more powerful than a player-controlled faction.

I'll wait with the Hunter post until Nikki posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #111
Finally, a city that welcomes me with open arms.

Lartaynior sat in the office of the mayor of Torfen. Tyrioz was a small man, almost dwarfish in stature, who was taller sitting down than he was standing up.

"I can give you 800 of my fighting men, but I will need to keep the rest to defend my city, your grace."

Hardly surprising for a city that was built without a care for defense.

For as long as Avernum has been settled, there was a merchant encampment along the east bank of the small lake in the steam caverns between Almaria and the Tower of Magi, but it was only in 973 IE that King Edward established the city of Torfen in hopes of drawing people out of the overpopulated Great Cave. Situated as it was in the middle of civilized Avernum, defense was the last thing on the minds of the designers. There were no walls. In fact, it was the only city in Avernum without walls. Now, it boasted a hastily constructed cavewood pallisade around it, but that was nothing compared to the stone walls of the other Avernite cities.

"That will be fine, my lord mayor," he said rising from his seat, "Now if you will please excuse me, I have matters that need my attention."

"Of course, sire. I have things to do as well," said Tyrioz picking up scroll.

-------------

As he walked through the streets of Torfen, he saw one of his lieutenants running up to him.

"What is it, Davon?"

"Sire, our sentries have spotted a group of men approaching from the east."

"Well, let's take a look, shall we?" asked the king as he strode toward the eastern pallisade.

[ Saturday, March 25, 2006 23:03: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #112
It is time

Mernal motioned the Nephilim forward. They were to go south, and wade through the water. That was the safest route to go. maybe not the easiest and most practical one, but certainly the safest one. Because of the lake to the north, the water coming down from the waterfall wouldn't be that rough anymore, and wading through would be a possibility. taking bridges would result in a confrontation with the gate keepers of the Keep of Tinraya, and a detour.

staing close to the mountain slope, the army of Nephilim slowly proceeded along the mountain, to the place were they had to wait. Very slowly and very silently, they stepped into the water. before doing that, however, four of the Nephilim mages gave everybody a sort of small balloon. This balloon was filled with air, and had to be ut on the mouth. This way the Nephilim could remain under water long enough to get to the other side.

Whn eventually eveybody had safely got to the other side, Mernal ordered everybody to sit behind the two hills, so nobody from the village, nor from the walls at the other side of the river, would be able to see them. there they sat for an hour or two, drying their furs in the sun. Some nephilim were helped by the mages, who casted small bolts of fire on dead twigs and branches, as to light a fire. When everybody had dried from the adventure in the river, they took their stuff and moved on.

They were very close now to the village. They could already see the houses. For as far as Mernal could see, the most important building, the library, was in the northeastern corner of town. that was his main objective. There it is. We have to attack from the north, though. And so they did. In a large circel, keeping low constantly, they circled around the village. When finnaly in position, mernal motioned the mages forward.

He whispered: "Are you ready?"

The mages nodded.

KABUM!

The soldiers and guards partolling the small stone alls all looked at the a large whole in the northern part of the wall.

KABUM!

The library walls were hit! Three guards, standing at the place where the wall had been blasted away were thrown into the library, but they didn't come back. Worried humans walked out of their houses, holding to their children. Then the enemy approached. probably 150 Nephil warriors came running, while succesfully dodging the poor wooden arrows, shot by the startled guards. A sign, standing at a small northen opening in the wall, said:

"Welcome to the small rustic village of Moon"

The sign didn't hold. A well-placed bolt of fire had burnt it, and now lay smoking on the grass. the archers and mages and priests stayed back, whiel Mernal walked to the village and looked at the chaos his army had spread.

Once, the village of Moon was a small nice village. the library wasn't that big but it had some powerfull spell tomes. Now, about 300 years later, the citizens of Moon had understood the importance of the library, and built a small stone wall around the city. they didn't expect a large army to attack them, though.

twenty Nephil warriors ran into the library, taking allkinds of books with them. Soon, the whole village was plundred, and all inhabbitants killed. However, before the chief guard had been stabbed to death, he had blown a large bronze horn. this worried Mernal. We have to leave. Now. he shouted to the warriors, archers and spellcasters, and they left, while taking half of the books in the library. the half containing spells, including the magic tomes of haste, slow, bolt of fire and spray acid. Not the most powerful spells, but a good addition to the cumbersum amount of spells his mages knew.

they left Moon to the south and followed the road. At that point, Mernal remembered an old truce he had with some old man. "A seeker of knowledge" he had called himself when mernal first met him. he had helped the man with the old nephil language, and for that service, the man had given him a map of valorim and a map of Moon. The library was marked with red. That's how mernal knew to go the Moon. he orderd the army to hold, and go to the west, where they put up the camp between some hills. mernal had to sit and think. Some time ago, he had heard of strange goblin activity, moving in the general direction of the place where that seeker of knowledge was suppose to live.

What to do now. I'll have to rethink my plans...

OOC: I propose this to be day 1. Nobody got to night time yet, but if one does, please make that very clear with a message in bold letters. The day after that will be called day 2. What do others think about this?

[ Sunday, March 26, 2006 01:00: Message edited by: Mc 'mini' Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #113
Drale grew tired of his war without blood. Demtrius was a very clever foe, and so were his Agents. He had sent men out into the citites to try and capture mages at any cost, but to no avail. He sighed.

Drale preferred when there was an enemy you could see and touch and kill. He preferred battles with swords and shields and wands, mostly when he had the wands. He hated these wars of propaganda. At heart, the Looters were really just bandits, and bandits are bad at inspiring the people beyond threatening them.

And no one in Softport had any magical items. There was one hedge wizard, but the Anama wouldn't let Drale frisk him. He sighed again. Then, suddenly, the door burst open.

Drale had a wand trained on the person that came in, but it was a member of his own organization. He had a heavy cloak and hood over his eyes. He held a scrying crystal, and muttered to Drale,
"A rogue band of nephils have attacked the village of Moon."
Drale frowned. That was strange, but of no real importance. He did not care what happened to Moon.
"An Agent spread more propaganda in Sharimik."
Drale pounded the table. It nearly splintered.
"Any good news?"
"Why yes. We captured a soldier of the Hunters and found out the secret of Tyrga's power. The soldier was unnaturally devoted to his cause, but we used scrolls that revealed his memory to us. He once saw a book with a spell in it in Tyrga's quarters."
"He did not think it was important, but our mages recognized it as the first few paragraphs of a spell that made the enspelled very convincing. We believe that this is Tyrga's power."
"Ah. Thank you for this information. You have been of service. I shall promote you." The man bowed and left.

Drale thought this over, and decided that he had two appointments to make. One was with the Anama, to enlist their fleet. And one was with the Guild, to enlist theirs. The two would come together in a surprise attack on Tyrga's ships, allowing him, Drale, to grab the book and escape.

Let Demetrius fight a war of words, he thought. I shall fight a war of swords. We'll see which is sharper.

OCC: Do the Anama and the Guild agree to go along with this plan? I'm guessing you don't, but if you do please speak up. If the Guild wants money I'll pay them.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #114
I made this rough map of Ermarian:

http://ryan-thompson.home.comcast.net/roughermarian.png

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #115
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

I made this rough map of Ermarian:

http://ryan-thompson.home.comcast.net/roughermarian.png

Thank you, that is a great help.

Is it just me or is Valorim bulky, square and ugly?

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #116
OOC: Nice map, Drakey. I am assuming, however, that it is NOT to scale. Right? I mean, the Isle of Bigail can't possibly be almost as big as the continent of Vantanas. And from the way Valorim is talked about in the games, it would frankly make sense for it to be one of the smaller continents.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #117
Vantanas, Aizo, and Pralgad should all be a little bigger, yes.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #118
New Cotra

Samuels was pacing back and forth along the edge of the river that split New Cotra in two. He was worried. He had recieved confirmation of a passage to Avernum, but couldn't use it yet. Instead, he had to send men to Fort Emergence. A messenger had brought news that there was fighting in the area, which meant that surface-worlders were down there. Down HERE. In Avernum. They were, he was sure, invading again.

Damn them! I needed an army before they came!

He leant back against a gnarled old cave tree, and called for a soldier. Almost imediately, one came running.

"Yes sir?"

"I need you to take a message to Morgain. She's at the Portal Fortress. Tell her that war may be upon us. Tell her that she must do whatever she needs to summon an army - and tell her that she may use the portal. And nobody else hears of this. Dismissed."

The soldier saluted sharply, and sped off.

Now... I need to speed to Fort Emergence, and try and halt the flow of the...the... Empire.

-----------

A few hours later

A short distance away from Fort Emergence, where a river disects Upper Avernum from the surfcae entrance, a large camp had been made. Leaving the bare minimum amount of soldiers to defend New Cotra and New Formello, Samuels had rode out almost immediately after contacting Morgain. Now he held a position on the Northern end of the bridge. He was in his command tent, after ordering a scouting party to Fort Emergence.

Morgain had better not fail me. I need an army more than ever now...

-------------

Fort Emergence

Manech, a tall, spritely archer, and two other soldiers reached the cave-side entrance to Fort Emergence. Sneaking in, they quickly spotted a host of tanned faces to the north, walking amongst the slain bodies of a bandit tribe. Stumbling back in surprise at seeing Empire troops, he clattered his sword against the dank cavern wall. Almost immediately, the surface-worlders turned on him...

He brandished his sword, and stood to his full height.

"I, Captain William Manech, of the Avernite Protection League demand that you state your business, here, surface-worlders"

[ Sunday, March 26, 2006 05:40: Message edited by: Nikki xx ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #119
OoC: Doesn't seem very Anama-like to wage war on a town just to get a magic tome. Maybe TM will let you hitch a ride, but you should count me out.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #120
At the Bandit Camp:
Someone had placed a pedastal with a large crystal on it at the docks. Then the camp's best shaman, Mhthrrr, placed his hands on it and began chanting. A very large ship emerged from the water, with three masts but no sails, and a sparkling dome protected the deck from water. The keel of the ship glowed brightly, magically providing a way for it to move. On the sides of the ship were the words, magically inscribed, The Bordrao. The air outside the dome was filled with static electricity, giving the Nephil a rather comical case of hairs-on-end. Ropes from the sides of the ship dropped down, and when they came back up, each rope held a diving rowboat, except one rope (that boat was in use). On the upper deck, there was a very large horn readied for use.

Many Nephil soldiers, shamans, priests and mages (in this camp, shamans were either priests or mages who were considered to be a higher rank)began boarding the ship, leaving behind the families and guards of the camp. About 10 Nephil went below deck, and began dragging up small ballistae, which were secured on deck.

"And to think that all we had to do was destroy a group of enchanters to acquire this magnificent vessel!" Mhthrrr chuckled, "too bad I wasn't there to see their faces."

(OOC: The Bordrao can't travel on land, despite its magical transportation. The magical dome does NOT make it invincible)

------------------------

Jsoulza Mountains

The rowboat emerged from the water to behold the beautiful sight of the Jsoulza mountains. The rowboat floated ashore, and a hole appeared long enough for everyone inside to get out. Hmethrrr and his twin guard emerged, and looked at the mountains.

"The Nephil who live here must be somewhere," Hmethrrr muttered, "we should keep moving, this won't be the first time I ever climbed a mountain. Keep an eye out for possible openings!"

As they moved away, the rowboat sank into the water to wait for their return.

They began climbing, searching for the other Nephil.

[ Sunday, March 26, 2006 07:00: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest. ]

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #121
OOC: I've used Silver's Avernum map and Drakey's Ermarian map to make a rough outline showing where everyone is and what territories they control.

Note that territorial sizes are mostly guesses, and that the size also does not indicate actual power (as in, how thinly forces are stretched).

Also note that this took the better part of three hours to make, and I probably won't be able to update it more often than once in 3-4 pages.

http://stuff.ermarian.net/arancaytar/roleplay/avernum_rp2/avernum1.png
http://stuff.ermarian.net/arancaytar/roleplay/avernum_rp2/surface1.png

I also propose that from now on, we give precise dates for our posts at the start of every IC, to avoid what happened in the last roleplay. Namely, the stretching of time and space to its limits and the ridicule of all laws of chronology.

[ Sunday, March 26, 2006 07:20: Message edited by: The Threadless Thread ]

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #122
I'm around a week in, whatever that means....

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #123
OOC:
Nice work on the maps, as always, Aran. I still don't like having them, just because they present facts which are disputed (as they should be in this kind of game) as if they are not disputed, and will inevitably cause other players to assume they are correct when they aren't. This is why I was intentionally vague in putting my chart together.

A few hiccups:
1. Tyranicus's home territory is the lands west of Fort Remote, isn't it? Did he lose control of them?

2. I was under the impression that the Abyss knights controlled most of the waters around Exile as well.

3. Half of what you've marked as Drakey's land is disputed enough that it probably shouldn't be down as anyone's -- the swamp, and the area near the Jsoulza mountains, where four different groups (counting the NPC nephils) have a presence. And the rest of the Ndovlu mountains should realistically be down as my territory, and certainly not Drakey's.

4. Are you actually *on* the strait? I thought you were just at the foot of the mountains on the north end of the continent. This is a rather significant detail for one of my armies.

5. [OoK] is not a useful abbrevation when two groups have it.

I guess I'm feeling contrary today, 'cause I also don't like the dating posts idea. In an ideal RP I think it would be great. The problem is that so many other things going on have been stretched to such unrealistic proportions that time almost has to be malleable in order to allow those of us less prone to reality-tinkering to deal with them.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #124
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

1. Tyranicus's home territory is the lands west of Fort Remote, isn't it? Did he lose control of them?
Yes.
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

2. I was under the impression that the Abyss knights controlled most of the waters around Exile as well.
As he lead me to believe, no monetary gain, no use.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????

Pages