An RP in the World of Avernum

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: An RP in the World of Avernum
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #101
OOC: Goblins would've been okay, but they're far to weak a fight. BTW, yeah, the name is strange, but I said that is wasn't his REAL name, and that nobody KNEW his real name. Besides that, I've never been great at thinking up names that they used back in 201 Imperial Era. :P

--------------------
I get energy from your jealousy. Ever wonder why I'm so hyper?
--------------------

Bow to the blademaster of Exile.

The Abyss Scenarios, Forums, Graphics...
E-Master's Graemlins Come take a look.
Miscellaneous Get to the closed misc. forums!
Where's Waldo? Can you find Waldo in less than a minute? *Evil Grin*
End of World Da end is coming!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #102
OOC: Dang. My part seems to be so trivial. But I guess that is okay because this RP confuses me too much.

IC: Belmont has been busy carrying crateful after crateful of bottles, leather wine bags, and flasks up to Petoria for the past half hour. After having brought up twelve full crates of supplies, she tells him to close the trap door and come sit next to her.

Petoria: "Now, it is very important that you pay attention to the procedure of bottling the potions. First, you must make sure that the bottles and flasks are clean and that the leather wine bags are sterilized. I have a cauldron over there by the water pump on the stove that is used to sterilize these things. Just start soaking them and drying them off and I will get around to the next step in the process of making potions."

He follows her instructions and after several hours of sterilizing the objects, he finishes the work. She makes both of them a meal and then she shows him the next step in the process.

Petoria: "Okay, here is the next step in the process. My concoction has finished being prepared completely and all that is left to do is put it in the respectable containers. Here is a funnel. I have two ladles and two funnels and I will be doing this also as it is quicker when two people do it. Just ladle it out like this and fill the bottles and flasks to this level."

Belmont: "This much?"

Petoria: "Yes, that's good. You just continue doing that and I will work on the leather wine bags. They are much more difficult to fill correctly."

Belmont: "Ok. I'll get right down to it."

In a matter of hours, a task that would have taken Petoria days to complete herself is finished and standing back, she admires the work that Belmont and her have completed.

Petoria: "Thank the gods that you are here to help me. This would have taken me days to complete. And here they are, done in a matter of hours. You will certainly receive a good pay for your work here. And...say...since you did such a good job, I want to show you something. Follow me."

OOC: I will continue with more later. My next post will have a surprise twist in it that is of great importance, but of little value to the plot at the same time. It won't alter anything, but I felt that my character must have a better part in this RP than just that of a potion lady who sits in her hovel making potions all day. It might bring about some actual fighting and action for her eventually though.

--------------------
"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!" - Sherlock Holmes

Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep, two corpses, everthing's fine."

"What do you think I asked you here for? COMPANY?!!!" - Bette Davis
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #103
Linda was happy that she was still alive, after a night in SAFT's headquarters.

SAFT wasn't playing ball, of course. They can hardly be expected to do so, at least not immediately. But it did not really matter.

The trade sanctions were unexpected, but simply an indicator that SAFT had misjudged her offer. Sol simply did not need a monopoly on economic terms. Holding the mines and so the major iron ore reserves of the Empire, they already had a stranglehold on much of the economy, whilst being mostly self-sufficient themselves. Any sanctions will harm SAFT more than it harms Sol.

The Solarans were in an unique position, and she was unsure SAFT was aware of that. The key part of the Solaran naval strategy is to guarantee the safe movement of Solaran land troops to Eastern Praglad, and to prevent any of the other factions from acheiving full supremacy of the sea. Being officially not at war with the Kylenians, and not in direct conflict with the Ironclads, it is in fact beneficial to allow free trade of arms, since they will not be used against Solaran assets. Such a position will also help Sol swing over some peace-minded officials on the Ironclad side, which will no doubt to useful. The trade monopoly was an added extra that was not significant on the short term. Strengthening opposition to Ironclad/Kylenian plans, and gaining a foothold in SAFT's internal politics was.

Linda also knew that Vida had miscalculated, neglecting to consider a number of factors that will soon come into play. SAFT, she knew, was much looser than their high command wanted to make out. It was essentially a simple conglomerate of merchants and sailors for the sake of mutual profit. They have no particular loyalty towards their leaders, only trust that what will happen is for their common benefit. And with each additional day that Solaran ships lie open in their harbours, that trust will be tested. Much as Vida may feel that independence must in principle be continued, her underlings will vote with their feet. Time was on her side - the longer she takes, the more her organisation will be filled with Solaran sympathisers, and the less effective control she will have.

She also wasn't stupid. She had talked to the men who had briefly captured the Falcon, heard from them of SAFT's secret fleet of pirate vessels. She had read up too of the pasts of their captains, knew their reputations. The Hind, the Inexorable - such were warships of legend. Their captains do not simply forget their skills.

She also knew that the Kylenians and Ironclads were bound to make a move soon. Since they are still in desperate conflict with each other, they unlike the Solarans will desire full control. In that context, the Solaran offer will inevitably be the best one, and SAFT will soon be caught between a rock and a hard place.

She quickly sent off another letter to the fleet. Stand firm. Be a nuisance. Do not fight unless attacked. Success is near.

The sunrise was a bright one.

OOC: Ironclads seem to be running out of PCs...

[ Tuesday, December 23, 2003 12:03: Message edited by: FZ ]
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #104
(The Imperial city is in red on the map -- the red dot, not the red lines. It's in Kylenian territory, and its only port is riverine. That said, you might want to find a better headquarters for SAFT.)

--------------------
¡Viva Chile!
¡Viva el Pueblo!
¡Vivan los Trabajadores!

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #105
(FZ, only myself and Sullust are Ironclad PCs. Oh well. If more people join, there are plenty of positions open. Also, where'd this huge Solaran navy come from? Alec said they don't even have navies, really... but this one you're refering to seems a bit impressive...)

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #106
OOC: I think that was referring to proffessional navies. I'm presuming Drakefyre's "Solaran navy concentrate in Jazen Gulf" refers to rapid building of ships. Actual training would be minimal. Most are barely cadets, and some of the ships would be running on skeleton crews. I'm guessing SAFT has all the best sailors. (I'm thinking that the Empire uses tactics like that of early europe. ie. ram or grapple, pelt with missile fire, and then fight as just another ground battle.) Linda may exaggerate a little, of course, but Solaria must have began with a significant blockade fleet.
Hurry up, Taron... And er... Is Vida male, or female? :eek:
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #107
Female.

Didn't someone say that the Solaran fleet was four times the size of SAFT's though? Because that would certainly not be the case...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #108
OOC: Ok, edit to be more sane. Also consider tonnage, instead of actual vessel number.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #109
Sullust spoke privately with the highest ranking of the surviving knights.

"I believe we can take this river if we can rally more support to the South. However, everyday the people grow more fearful of what is coming," Sullust told the horseman.
"What do you suggest we do? You saw what happened, the Kylenian guerillas slaughtered us. They should be afraid."
"Then let us give the Kylenians a reason to be afraid. Give me your steed."
"What?!"
"If I am to make it back across that river I will need to move swiftly. Their arrows are sharp and accurate as you well know now."
"How can I hope to return safely without it? Surely I will be an open target."
"These people aren't killers, they are merely protecting what they feel is theirs. They will allow you to leave unharmed. Take these other men with you as well. Perhaps they will help convince the Emperor to send more troops."
"How will we know when you are ready to lead the assault from the south?"
"You will know. Now go quickly you must prepare."

With that Sullust rode off on the steed. After finding a shallow place to cross he forded it as fast as he could. He made it out of the Kylenian lands safely. He only hoped that his companions managed to do the same.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #110
Zephyr: don't worry, everything's gonna be fine.

IC:

'So, what's your name?'

'You can call me Red Warlock.'

The major paused to look strangely at the new recruit. Was this some kind of joke? If so, the recruit was still playing along with it.

'Very well...Red Warlock. This is the situation. You are being joined to the command of a marksman by the name of Londar, along with one or two more archers from the army. You will be dressed as native archers, and infiltrate King Aizoim's base. There you will act at Londar's discretion-find out their plans, troop movements, how we can destroy them.'

'Assassainate the king?'

'Not yet. Firstly, I doubt very much you'd escape alive. Secondly, if he does die, he's almost bound to be replaced, and his replacement will carry on much as before. Thirdly, there's a traitor within the Imperial Army who's aiding the natives in various ways. We want to find out who that is before we remove the only possible source of that imformation, if you follow me.'

'I do. Uh...when are we starting?'

'Ah, enthusiasm. How refreshing. Tomorrow morning we'll kit you out, and you'll leave early tomorrow afternoon. In the meantime, you'd probably better stick to the camp. Try and find Londar and get acquainted. And now, I have other business. You're dismissed.'

=====

'Senji, eh? You're an unusual height, I must admit.'

The tall recruit ignores this remark. He is used to comments on his height. After a second, the major continues.

'We know, however, that you and your mage friend killed off some gazers. That's not done lightly, I know. We're willing to start you in the army as a lieutenant. You'll be directly answerable to Captain Moran, who is defending Tallport, the city just west of here. I didn't name it, but I do have to keep it intact and in food. And that's where you'll come in, although the captain will tell you more about that. For now, welcome to the army.'

OOC: Exactly what you're doing is in more detail in my previous posts-basically there are mages scrying and when a native raid gets near, they alert you and you rush out to see it off. Have fun...

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The misc board's thriving, and there're plenty good RPs. Join now! H00rj!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #111
OOC: Okay, sorry for taking so long. This was one great movie btw... well no matter.

IC:

"If you would follow me please?" the officer had said, and within less than fifteen minutes, Taron found himself at a conference table facing the commander ((what was is name, Drakefyre)).

"Ah. I am pleased that you have answered my summons so swiftly, ..." the man seemed to struggle with what rank to address a mercenary.

"Just mercenary will do, sir."

"Well, you see, I have a special task for you."

"Your seargent told me as much already, sir. I am profoundly honored. But what is the nature of this 'task'?"

"Your records say that you are a minor mage and have had previous occupations as an..." again the officer faltered."

"Adventurer, sir. That's the official designation as far as I know."

((OOC: You see, I have to put together some reason why they'd choose Taron. He's not an experienced diplomat, and they certainly didn't want him for his history knowledge.))

"Anyway, you have experience dealing with nasty things on your own."

"You might say that." Taron suddenly froze and grew pale as he realized that this was not a time to boast. For all he knew, that man over there might be going to ask him to take on the Kylenian army by himself! "Within *reason*, of course," he hastened to add.

"You might have heard of the emissary we sent to the Sailors Association of Free Trade?"

"That apprentice mage?"

"Exactly. We believe — that is, Jehan Sol believes — that there might be trouble as the SAFT has received other offers from our enemies. The leaders of SAFT would be convenienced if our negotiator were to suddenly disappear at this point, thus relieving themselves of the pressure of deciding."

"You mean they'll try to assassinate her? Wouldn't that look a bit suspicious?"

"We know that she is there, so they can't kill her outright. But they could come up with a way of arranging an 'accident', I'm sure."

"So you want me to go and ensure that any such accidents will be prevented?"

"Officially, you're just another negotiator. We wouldn't SAFT to think we're getting nervous and sending in any military. You'll have ambassadorial status, but don't forget your weaponry."

"Which leaves two questions. One: What do I get?, Two: When do I leave?"

"Trust me, we're keeping record; it'll be on your payroll. You leave right now, of course. A fast courier horse has been provided, please get there as soon as you can. You'll be riding through hostile territory for a while, so keep your head down and hurry."

"Aye, Sir." Taron left the tent.

~~~~~~

The SAFT headquarters was a large, spacious building ((I think so, at least. :P )). As an announced ambassador, Taron was swiftly admitted, though the guards looked rather suspiciously at his military-like outfit. They relieved him of his bow, which did not go down well with him. It was one of very few means of defense that he had, failing the little dagger in his boot and the tiny crossbow hidden in his tunic. His magic was certainly not enough to do serious combat.

After Taron had been shown into his quarters, he began to form a plan for how to go about his task. Certainly, the first point on the checklist was establishing some sort of contact with the emissary in order to receive an update on the current status of the negotiation. This, exactly, was what SAFT would attempt to prevent, seeing advantage in not allowing the two ambassadors to coordinate their work.

OOC: I don't see how to continue this post without response now. Basically, Taron's there and ready to do whatever job you all had in mind.

[ Wednesday, December 24, 2003 03:19: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Nasty trickster stalking the web! 406 victims! "
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
The Encyclopædia Ermariana is growing. ;)
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #112
She leads him into the cellar once again and relighting the lanterns, she takes him to the side of the cellar with the furnace. Going to a blank wall with an unlit torch, she pulls down on it. A section of the wall slides away to reveal a pitch-black room. Upon lighting a torch in the room, Belmont's eyes grow wide with surprise at what he sees before him. The room is almost as big as the rest of the cellar and is lined with tables, shelves, desks, and wardrobes of all sorts throughout its entire length.

The shelves are packed with hundreds of heavily dust-encrusted tomes, scroll tubes, and documents of all sorts. The tables are lined with crowns, gems, weapons, tools, flasks, bottles, wine bags, and various other items in the same condition. He can’t see what is in the desks or the wardrobes, but they too are covered with thick layers of dust. She turns to him and he can see that she has a very excited, but at the same time, stern look on her face. She turns sideways so she can look at both the room and Belmont without strain.

Petoria: "This is why I am known as Petoria Carmine the Sage. I am a direct descendant of Descartes Carmine, one of the most powerful alchemists and sages that ever lived on this continent, but also one of the most secretive as well. He was the right hand man of the original ruler of this land, whose name has somehow been lost with time. That ruler also had faced an invasion of his land during that time. Two kingdoms were fighting his for ultimate rule of Pralgrad, which many rumor, might have been named by him. They were the Ironclads and the Solarans.

The king was one day attacked by rogue assassins and was hit by a poisoned dart. On his deathbed, he called my ancestor to him. He told him about a secret vault he had created in case such a fate should befall him and his kingdom. He asked him to collect all the knowledge, wealth, and weaponry of his kingdom and lock it away in this vault. He also told him that his body was to be interred in a glass case within this vault in a secret catacomb adjoining it. Where, I don’t know, but various magical traps and creatures protect it. He charged this to my ancestor and all of his descendants that they should never let this vault fall into the wrong hands.

All of these generations later, it fell to my parents to pass that responsibility to me to maintain the secret. I am now the guardian of the knowledge, wealth, and weaponry of the original kingdom of Pralgrad and that is what you see before you. I am telling you all this for a reason. I am without...uh...a worthy heir. My only son is now the leader Kylen, and I fear that he cannot be trusted. I do not wish to speak more of that right now, maybe later. Anyway, you may not know it, but your family is an old and trusted one. I had hoped that they might send someone of your quality and distinction to help me. Moreover, I know that you can be trusted as your family was always kind to mine in the past. I may wish to pass on the responsibility of this guardianship to you.

Belmont: “Me?!! Why me?!! I wouldn’t even trust myself!! I am afraid of taking on such a responsibility! It is beyond my abilities!! Moreover, with the war, you will be attacked eventually. Your son must have leaked out information about this vault by now, and…”

Petoria: “Don’t worry about that. He knows nothing about it. And he would not have been able to remove any such proof of its existence if he did anyway. You see that royal coat of arms just inside the door on the masonry of the floor?”

Belmont: “Yes. What about it?”

Petoria: “The king’s tomb is not the only trapped room. Every item in this room has a magical defense placed on it in the case that someone might try to remove something from the room. That royal coat of arms ensures that nothing will leave the room. It generates a strong magical field like a barrier that keeps all objects in the room. But that is not the real defense though. Any item moved more than five feet from its resting place generates a severe electrical shock. On top of that, if any object makes it to the coat of arms, it will set off other traps in the room. The first seals the door immediately. The second alerts various invisible guardians lined around the room that cannot be seen or detected without magic. A third freezes the person in place on the floor and immobilizes them. And the fourth is inevitable death at the hands of the guardians.”

Alarms will sound upstairs to alert me that the traps are being activated and that someone is in the vault without my permission. Now, knowing all that, I don’t think I will have to worry about you stealing anything. There is a spell to override the traps, but only I know it. In addition, I advise you not to tell anyone about this either. You must understand that this secret cannot get out or this land will be doomed. I feel I can trust you enough. That is enough info for now. We must go upstairs and wait for the horse and cart to arrive and collect the potions. Then I will tell you about the Prophecy. Let us go now.”

She motions him out of the room and putting out the torch, she reactivates the door causing it to close back up, erasing all traces of it. They quickly head upstairs to make the preparations.

OOC: I don't plan to bring Kylen into this at all. Just an added piece of information. Sorry for the length of my post.

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #113
Red Warlock is awaken early in the morning by a soldier. The soldier shoves Red Warlock until he gets up, and the two of them walk to another tent. Behind a desk in the tent, is a soldier, with a nameplate reading "Londar" on the desk. Londar motions RW to sit.

"Okay. I'm sure Major Taren filled you in on what's going on last night. You are to infiltrate King Aizoim's headquarters and learn all of their plan's, movements, etc. My lieutennant will get you you're equipment and supplies, and as soon as you are ready, come back here."

RW leaves the room with the soldier, and enters another tent. After he is fitted with boots, robes, and a bow with a quivel of arrows, he returns to Londar's tent, with 2 other men.

--------------------
I get energy from your jealousy. Ever wonder why I'm so hyper?
--------------------

Bow to the blademaster of Exile.

The Abyss Scenarios, Forums, Graphics...
E-Master's Graemlins Come take a look.
Miscellaneous Get to the closed misc. forums!
Where's Waldo? Can you find Waldo in less than a minute? *Evil Grin*
End of World Da end is coming!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #114
Yet another secret magical hidden cave full of weapons and power... why am I not surprised? MSW, remember that the five faction leaders are here for a reason; you haven't made too big of an impact yet, but you've just given yourself the power to, so please be careful. IC tomorrow, or later today, technically.

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #115
Did I not say that I have no urge to use such power? I specifically said that it is a piece of added information. I am not dumb. I only added that to make my character more interesting. I did not and do not want to pursue any sort of great power with this vault or with Petoria. It is nothing more than a large library and storeroom like that in a castle.

I haven't even written the information on the Prophecy yet. The Prophect will be important. It will give a hint of what might take place at the end of the RP. I know my place in this RP. I am quite aware of my actions and I assure you that I do not plan on changing the plot or anything drastic like that.

[ Tuesday, December 23, 2003 20:45: Message edited by: Sherlock Holmes - MSW ]

--------------------

Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #116
"By the Emperor, the Kylenians are slow today, ain't they?"
"Yeah, sure are." Ardek lied rather easily; he had seen action against barbarians who were slower than the Kylenians on a good day. On a bad day... he shuddered. The other man snickered. "You don't believe a word of it, do you."
"Can't say I do, nope."
"I can tell from your accent that you're a plant. Garn, tell me y'ain't."
Ardek stammers a bit, and catches himself. "...To a degree. See, we have an exchange program, ya know."
"Oh? Tell me about it -- bein' just a local farmer, I ain't heard nothin'."
"Well, it's something of a euphemism. Down -- ah, up -- north, the local resistance is mostly merchants. I'm from a mercantile family -- Aizoan originally, and I went to fight for the Emperor when the chance came up."
The peasant nodded. "And what brings you so far south?"
"The commander up there is no Karadas, lemme tell you. He makes enemies easily, and I was one of them. I asked to be sent down to attach with Karadas, and that request was granted. And here I am, fighting for the Emperor's glory in the heat of the action."
"Huh - last I heard, most of the irregulars up that-a-ways got slaughtered real recently." Ardek looked frankly at the farmboy-turned-rebel. Was he really well-fixed enough in the grapevine to know that the massacre that would have killed anyone of the description he gave occurred too soon for him to get here? "You are one lucky sumbish, y'hear?"
Ardek consciously avoided sighing with relief. In retrospect, he really didn't need to. "Yeah. Sure am."

He bought it. Too close. Soon, his chance would come anyway.

"If that 'merchant' thinks I bought it for a second, the Ironclad military must be more thoroughly stocked with idiots than I thought."
"You got that damn right, Eirens. An 'exchange program'? What the hell kind of guerilla could go out of the field with vital information, especially if the commander has a chip on his shoulder for him?"

"Well, in any case, I think he's on to us. You got the spell ready?"
"Yeah. Tomorrow's the day of a big strike on our forces, and the damn fool Karadas plans to ride into battle with them. I shoot whoever's riding his horse and we get the hell out of Imperius."
"And what do I do?"
"I've made a special wand for you, Hugo. One shot of this will ruin a man's day, but not much else."

The general frowns. "And why do I get this? I could do more damage with arrows."
"If you can knock off two good arrows a second, I'd be more impressed with you than I am now."
"Two a second? Wow. So this is the new weapon that they say the necromancers have been toying around with?"
"You really are in the loop, aren't you, Hugo? I thought it was a pack of damn foolery, at any rate, and I think eventually they'll prove me right. Some day, every adventurer will carry one of these babies, and no one except students of arcane history will have HEARD of those infernal... what are they?"
"Ruby skeletons."
"Yeah, those." He scoffs. "At any rate, we have a big day ahead of us tomorrow... sir."

Ardek could hardly believe his ears.

"So what the hell do you imply you're doing so far away from the other regulars, "Ardek"? This is irregular country, and..."
"Would you cut the fodder for a second, Colonel Karadas? I'm telling you that there's going to be a man shooting at whoever rides this horse tomorrow. I heard every word."
"Unless they're damned idiots, they're going to notice that whoever does isn't wearing my armor."
"You... you have a point, Colonel. So you're going to switch horses AND armor with whatever sorry bastard you're most ready to lose."
"Very well. I'll be wearing my dress armor and riding Halem's horse at the moment of truth -- you're to arrange this, and make sure no one who doesn't have to know finds out."
"All right."

Ardek smiled. He and he alone would have a clear shot at the rebellious, insolent Colonel Karadas.

"All right, I've got sight of him. Typical -- riding into battle in shining armor and well-bred horse and all."
"I can't... can't get him, sir. He's riding through too many trees -- we're liable to set the forest on fire and not do anything more than piss him off."
"All right. I'll work on getting him distracted, then." General Hugo smashed spurs into his horse and started unloading charge after charge of the flame wand into the bulk of the Ironcladder irregulars...

Ardek saw the bolts of fire. "Damnation! They're already hitting us with some kind of new weapon, si--"
He slowly looked over to the man riding beside him and saw, in Colonel Karadas's dress armor, Halem.
"Motherfu-- you brain-addled idiot! You didn't take my advice after all!" He charged after Colonel Karadas at full gallop, through the beams of fire, and came up beside him. "What the hell do you think you're doing? You're going to get yourself killed!"
"You honestly think I was going to fall for that old trick? No one in the unit would have mourned Halem getting stabbed in the back, you damned incompetent!"
Ardek shoved him off his horse in a fury, nearly tripping the horse in the process. Colonel Karadas hit the ground fast enough to smash half the bones in his body into paste. It was then that his horse sustained a ray wound. "Won't hurt Karadas none," he said as he mounted the fallen colonel's horse.
Then the sun hit his face, open at last, as he went into the clearing at a gallop.
He realized as the wash of searing heat hit him that his armor looked an awful lot like Karadas's, and he didn't realize much of anything after that.

"We nailed him!" The mage whooped joyously, throwing heat rays into the fray of the Ironclad forces, who withdrew less a leader, in shock and confusion. The last, a limping soldier in fancy armor, threw a pinky-and-ring salute at the similarly whooping Kylenians as he bounded away as quickly as possible. "You think we should go after that one?"

"Naw. What's one more farmboy whose daddy was a big knight going to hurt us?" General Hugo laughed heartily, and his mage followed suit.

[ Tuesday, December 23, 2003 23:16: Message edited by: USA-se Xenerali-boariku CUSITURA ]

--------------------
¡Viva Chile!
¡Viva el Pueblo!
¡Vivan los Trabajadores!

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #117
OOC: Just for us non-native speakers, what's a pinky-and-ring salute? Not really relevant, I concede.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 464
Profile #118
After explaining to the captain what the Solarans have said about the cargo, Sam was relieved of the interrogation.
"All right! All right! Let's bring her home! To your posts, men!" shouted the captain. The crew members swiftly obeyed their orders and got into position. Sam stayed with the Falcon.

The Falcon arrived, which brought some cheers to some of the SAFT members. Its crew was soon engaged in story-telling; exaggeration was quite inevitable. Sam, on the other hand, had enough story-telling for one day. He got himself some food and asked around for the current news. He was told of the apprentice mage from Sol and another ambassador from the same side, the offers from the other factions, and the like. This includes the Solaran ships that will be inspected some time soon, which brought about his interest. He decided he'll keep himself updated on this one.

--------------------
You go girl!
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #119
SAFT appeared to be following edition 14 of Lowe's Practical Guide to International Relations. Currently they were on chapter IV - let the captive fester.

This meant a number of things to Linda. The most likely was that something was up. There was a commotion at the gates earlier, which leads to the conclusion that reinforcements had arrived, and her hosts were determined to keep him/her from making contact.

She was unsurprised when there was a tap at her window a few minutes later. Probably they forgot to post adequate guards on the outside of the building. Never let nice people do jobs for which ruthlessness was required.

She quickly analysed the newcomer. Despite the courtly dress, there was an air of discomfort in these surroundings that declared him to be a soldier. He was too old to be a conscript, too old to be a veteran. A mercenary, then.

Linda was unsure whether she really trusted a mercenary - SAFT, or the Kylenians can easily outbid whatever Sol had paid him. Still, his mission check out - it sounded exactly like what the stuffy administers back in Solaria would do.

He should not have come. Her line of negotiation relied on her being too insignificant to bother killing, and a second "negotiator" contradicted that. However good he is, and she was sure that this Taron fellow was extremely good, he was bound to get in the way. Certainly he might protect her in case the other factions interfere, or SAFT was dumb enough to try something clever, but she didn't see much risk of that.

But still, she had to make the best of a bad job.

"I get a mission for you. There is a library on the second floor, and I think there is access to a secret room from there. Go in, and find out what was in the cargo of the Falcon, which was destined for the Kylenians. I've a hunch it is important somehow."

That got him off her hands, then. Maybe he'll be useful after all.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #120
OOC: Sorry, occasionally I have the tendeny to go on, and on, and on, and on, and on...

IC: Taron was so surprised that he had to steady himself to keep from falling right off the wall. As he climbed down to his own window on the third floor, he went over the new information. On the surface, there was none none. Linda had opened the window, and sent him off to find out about the cargo of a ship called the Falconimmediately.

But there had been much more: A quick analytic gaze from Linda as he had knocked, followed by a slight expression of doubt. Ah, yes, the traditional suspicion of mercenaries.

Then, an annoyed glare. She found that he was meddling and endangering the negotiations: That must mean one of two things. Either the negotiations were going so well that sending in any support now would show a distrust that might hurt the deal. Unlikely. Or it meant that the relation was so strained that any sign of uncertainty now might be fatal. More likely.

As to how to get to the library, Taron was baffled. He had found Linda's room with a minor scrying spell, next to no problem as few of the rooms were occupied and only one inhabitant was impatiently stalking circles in her room. The library however... Taron would have to take his chance with that. Stopping by his room, he stopped to catch his breath, picked up his backpack — he might have to leave here rather quickly — and went out for facade-climbing again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sensation Taron would remember supremely afterwards was the smell. It had been a long time since he had been in a large library, and the odour of old tomes was almost intoxicating to him. Forcing himself to stay focused on his task, he swiftly went over the room with an experienced eye to check for doors. One of the shelves, obviously. The trick just never grew out of fashion, Taron thought, sighing. Behind him was the hallway, before him a row of windows. The right side was bare wall. That left the left side. As he examined the lot for any buttons, levers or other suspicious features, he could not help reading some of the titles. One tiny volume of obviously hand-written parchment bound in black leather caught his eye; he gasped as he read the title. After looking nervously around him out of instinct, then casting a feeble spell to examine the thing for traps, he quickly grabbed it and stuffed it into his backpack. This will doubtlessly prove very useful later on.

((ooc: no, I don't know what it contains either. But I might decide to inject it into the plot later when it seems suitable.))

And lo and behold, as he examined the shelf again, he saw a glimps of wooden wall in the gap, which contrasted to the bricked and furnished walls around him. Mere seconds later, he had also found the switch to open the door. This was risky, because he could not check for traps. His magic allowed him to see if moving an object triggered a mechanism, thereby identifying it as trapped. The switch was *supposed* to operate a mechanism, so his spell would be useless as it did not distinguish between a trap and a secret door.

Trusting his luck, Taron pulled back the fake book until there was a click, and the whole shelf slid down noiselessly. Where would I be without this people's obsession with the best technology money can buy? Behind it, there was just a wooden door, which opened easily. A bit too easily...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seconds later, Taron began to have misgivings. Sneaking around on the premises of SAFT was one thing. Assaulting a guard of the SAFT was another, and would have ramifications when the guard recovered from the sleeping poison on the crossbow dart. This was unfair! Secret rooms were not *supposed* to be guarded! As quick as he could, Taron looked around. The vellum sheaf he was looking for was lying on the table. Too easy once again.

The guard groaned slightly; Taron hit him with two more darts in swift succession. He tucked the parchment into his pack, and frantically searched for a way to delay the moment when his intrusion was discovered.

The sight of the opening mechanism from the inside lifted his spirits. With a few strokes of his dagger, he destroyed it: the door could — once closed — be opened from the outside only now, unless the guard was a mechanic. Closing the apparently soundproof door behind him, he turned back.

Taron resisted the frighteningly strong urge to whistle as he went.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OOC: Forgive me for this long IC and thanks for the patience.

[ Thursday, December 25, 2003 12:34: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #121
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

OOC: Just for us non-native speakers, what's a pinky-and-ring salute? Not really relevant, I concede.
To be fair, it's Empire-idiomatic anyway; their equivalent of the finger or that silly gesture involving both arms you Europeans use :P

--------------------
¡Viva Chile!
¡Viva el Pueblo!
¡Vivan los Trabajadores!

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #122
The completion of the first five Solaran troop transport ships was met with stony silence from Commandant Krilon. The completion of the three galleons designed to escort the transport ships resulted in slightly more enthusiasm. Caravels and barges churned out by private contractors also began to float into the harbor, and merchants of all sorts began to set up an intricate and military-supervised trading system.

SAFT representatives arrived the next week. They were briefed by middling officers of the army. The next day, they met with the naval commanders under Admiral Tuncay, and the distribution of the navy was organized. Still, nothing was official until the two negotiators returned from SAFT headquarters with a contract. Until then, the sea captains waited and inspected the ships, much to the annoyance of the Solaran sailors.

Not part of any deal were the ships engaged in the blockades, at least not until they were included in one for more leverage by Linda and Taron. Now they focused on disrupted communications between Ironclad sections and separated Kylenian sympathizers. All news reached Solaran ears as well, but for all of this new sea exploration, the Solarans' land operations faltered.

Now consigned only to fortification and defense, the soldiers not conscripted to the navy could not mount many offensives, save for the heroic exploits of Lt. Gregan's troop. Dug in and expecting an eventual onslaught, suspicions began to arise among the men, and they grew restless.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #123
Taron had barely returned to his own guarded quarters when both he and Linda were called to the main hall of SAFT's headquarters. Vida stood waiting for them, expression hard as stone and just as readable. She started speaking without preamble.

"SAFT will take your fleet. We will ensure that no attack is made on Solaria by sea. In return, you will grant us autonomy and control of all trade into and out of Solaria. Go now. Mageling, you will take my offer back to your rulers. Mercenary, you will stay here."

Both ambassadors looked at Vida, trying hard to determine her thoughts. But she gave absolutely nothing away. Finally, both agreed to her plans, and were escorted back to their respective quarters.

It was full night, Linda long gone on her journey back via one of the small fast courier ships, when Taron finally got a chance to look at the documents he had picked up. He flipped through the black book first. It was not, as he had first thought, any official record. Rather, it appeared to be a personal journal. Taron picked a page at random near the back and read it.

...done as he asked. It will be hard to be parted for so long, but Devon is right when he says that opening trade to the Aizoan continent will greatly expand our operations. I have put Forhas Nogan, old friend and most trusted captain, in command of the Barracuda. They leave on the dawn tide.

Taron turned to the next page, dated nearly a week later. The writing was noticeably worse, and water-stains spotted the parchment.

Devon, my husband, my lover. My betrayer. Why did you do it? You must know that I would never let anything harm the organisation I have built. Not even you. No matter how much I loved you. No matter how much I thought you loved me. I-

The writing scrawled into illegibility. The rest of the lines were washed out, though from what Taron could make out he would have been hard-pressed to decipher them anyway. He skipped to the next readable line.

Morgan is a great help. I never trusted a mage before, but without her aid I would not have been able to preserve what I have built. I would not have been able to secure myself against the damage that he has caused me. It is done. I will never again allow anyone to come so close to destroying us again.

Flipping through the remainder of sheets, Taron saw that there were no more entries. His brow creased in thought. Vida, he knew, was the founder of SAFT. This journal was hers, then. He stood and wandered about his room. There were guards posted at every obvious exit, and Taron had a feeling that more would be at the less obvious ones as well. Knocking on the door, he gained the guard's attention.

He struck up a conversation with the guard, who was bored and friendly now that the word had gone out that SAFT was accepting Sol's offer. After a half hour of idle talk the conversation took a direction that interested him greatly.

"The Barracuda? Aye, she was a fine lady. Crashed on the reefs south of the canal, near five years ago it was. Only the cap'n and a handful of crew made it off alive." The guard leaned close, his eyes agleam with gossip. "An', you know what? Vida's man was on that ship. They say she's never been the same since. She grieved a good long time, see, more'n some thought 'e was worth, though I've nothing bad to say of the dead." The guard made a quick sailor's warding gesture with one hand. "Aye, but there's more'n one ghost ship out there that'll never come back to port, an' the Barracuda's one of the finest."

The guard's shift ended soon enough and Taron returned to his bed. He turned his attentin to the loose vellum sheets. There were only a handful of ships named, and he was not surprised to see the Falcon listed amongst them. And yet their cargo did not appear to be out of the ordinary. Studying the documents closer, Taron saw strange markings dotted here and there.

A code, then.

It took him nearly the rest of the night to work the code out with the aid of magic and natural intuition. What he learned when he was finally able to decipher the real ship manifests was enough to chase away any thoughts of sleep.

Already alarmed, he jumped up when the door opened abruptly and Vida entered his room. He had reflexes enough to hide the vellum sheets before she saw them, though he could see at once that it would make no difference.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #124
OOC: lol, you wrote my character as far as the confrontation with Vida, leaving me no choice but in turn to control *your* char. :P

IC:

Blast.

That was one of the milder things that went through Taron's mind. This woman is uncanny. Surprise room inspections in the middle of the night?

He had managed to shove the parchments under his bed as soon as the door opened — instinctively, he was always prepared to quickly stuff away anything he was currently reading, a reflex that had stayed with him since childhood ((ooc: :D )) — and put on an innocent expression. But this was not mum visiting your room late at night to make sure you weren't ruining your eyes, and she was definitely not duped as easily. Try as he might, Taron could not conceal the fact that he was wide awake, out of his bed, fully dressed, some time between midnight and dawn. I should have remembered to change so I could at least pretend to have fallen out of bed, he thought desperately.

"What. Have you. Been doing." She spoke in short, measured tones that spoke of extreme suspicion.

"Uh. Um, nothing, really. I thought I'd go out for a drink of water---"

Vida's gaze swivelled to a jug of water that was standing right next to his bed. Full. She did not say anything for a while. Then she spoke again.

"I heard the rustle of parchment as I opened the door." Darn, it's just like being twelve years again. "You have been either reading something, or writing. A message, possibly?"

This, then, was the rescue. Taron's eyes brightened.

"Ah, yes. Yes! I was writing a message to send back to my employers. You see, because of our successful negotiations yesterday." He was talking very fast. Too fast.

"Your colleague Linda is already reporting, is she not? And if you were reporting our wonderful success yesterday, then why are you so quick to hide it under your BED?"

She spat the last word out explosively, and Taron thought his heart would stop. If she found the secret cargo records under his bed now, the negotiations were forfeit, and quite possibly his life as well. He hadn't thought so feverishly for years. Kill her? He doubted he was a match even with his dagger; she had once been a sailor after all, and he was rather scrawny. Besides, the body would complicate matters. Stun her with a dart? Same problem there, plus she would wake up soon and he could kiss his head goodbye.

And suddenly it hit him. She must KNOW. THAT was why she had made him stay here at the SAFT headquarters. She had found out about his intrusion and his theft, and she had deliberately sent Linda away and kept him here just to surprise him when he read the record. The mercenary sent to rescue the trapped ambassador, trapped himself now, like a bird in a cage. He took care not to let the flicker of thoughts show on his dismayed face.

The successful negotiations must be a bogus. The room was guarded. Nothing kept him here now but Vida, who would want to make sure that he did not manage to get out the news on the Falcon's cargo. He would have to get away from here at the next moment. Jump through a window. he thought, and his back chose that moment to send a spasm of pain up his spine to remind him of his age and the fact that he was three stories above the ground. Not to mention the guards with crossbows down below.

He was, to put it bluntly, buggered.

Quick as lightning, he went over what would save his life. Vida could not know if he had broken the code — he had been careful not to write his knowledge down —, and she could not know whether, assuming he had broken it, he had told Linda. Linda was even bound to arrive back at Solaria late in the morning or earlier, out of Vida's reach. If Vida believed Taron had reported his findings to her, he was safe, for now. If she found out he was the only one who knew, he would be dead quicker than you could say "no witnesses." He steeled himself for what lay ahead.

OOC: This is getting tight for my character, but it's extremely fun to write.

[ Friday, December 26, 2003 04:43: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #125
Upon receiving news of SAFT's offer, Jehan Sol shook his head. It was what he had expected, but it was not what he had hoped.

"I can't just let her control all Solaran trade. Tell her SAFT can control all sea trade, but only if it comes through the port of Easton on the Jazen coast. That's where all of our sea operations will be concentrated anyway. And we'll compensate them for the extra work in silver."

Linda nodded, sighed, and set off back to renegotiate.

(OOC: I liked the first version better, Arancaytar. Also, I'm pretty sure that the Solarans would figure out what was in the Falcon soon enough anyway.)

[ Friday, December 26, 2003 04:25: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00

Pages