An RP in the World of Avernum

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: An RP in the World of Avernum
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #51
OOC: Just a little note. To recruit 500 'most loyal' soldiers to start mission with orders to die rather than fall back, the Solarans include a mercenary?! :P Doesn't really matter though. What is Nihat btw — a city, river or something?

I see no opportunity to post another IC at the moment; since it would either be an unimportant bagatelle, or mess with the plot.

--------------------
Nasty trickster stalking the web! 406 victims! "
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
The Encyclopædia Ermariana is growing. ;)
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #52
After waiting a few days without word from the main commander Sullust began to worry. If no one could break through the Kylenian front then they would be doomed. Rather than wait for death to come to him, Sullust convinced a few others to join him and headed for the river.

He hoped that the group would be small enough to remain unnoticed. However, they were ready for a fight if necessary. As the dim glow of the moon filled the skies they set out. The twenty soldiers set out to the north.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #53
Between ale, and more ale, Linda chatted to one of the dirty, lowborn men that comprised her comrades.

"You know, I think we are going at this all wrong..." She said, half to herself.

"Really." Her companion muttered, plainly disinterested.

"The way I figure it, the key component of this whole war thing is the Imperial Army in Aizo. Nothing else matters - whoever gets their support wins."

"Really."

"Seriously. Warderson isn't particularly loyal to any of the factions, and in fact, all he cares about is his army. When he gets home - and the Aizoans should be about finished by now - he'll just pick the most impressive side, and they'll sweep to an overwhelming victory. So the result of obvious."

Her companion was obviously too drunk to respond, but she continued anyways.

"Fortifying and hunkering down is the worst thing we can do. We need to give the impression, however superficial, that we are on the verge of winning, crushing our enemies underfoot, that sort of thing. We need to attack, hard and unreservedly.

Which leads me to the other possibility. That this whole fortifying thing is a ruse, to make the Kylenians think we're scared, and expose their western front."

She was pretty sure her companion was asleep now. But it didn't matter. He didn't come here for an interactive conversation. In part, talking to brick walls helped her think.

"But even that is stupid. The Kylenians aren't a threat - their position is overexposed and ultimately undefendable. The Ironcladists are. If we waste all our energy fighting the Kylenians, then the Ironcladists win by default. After all, they hold the best positions from the start. The obvious thing is to aid the kylenians, let them take the brunt of the wall, and then crush them."

A smirking man on the next table spoke up. "And you'll be the heroic girl that would forge the treaty then?"

Linda ignored him. "But that brings us to the third possibility. Our exalted leader, if he is as good as we are told he is, should have realised that the Praglad battle doesn't matter at all. What matters is who gets cosiest with the Azioan expeditionary force, and then can swing the rest of the old army into line. So maybe that's what he is doing with all these recent naval things, suppressing SAFT and all. Hell, our ships are probably just about to arrive."

Pausing to pay for the drink, Linda left the tavern. Hopefully some agent was around to hear that, and recommend her for a promotion. Clearly the faction needed geniuses of her calibur, especially with her great modesty.

A simple rule in all the books she read. Higher means safer in the storm ahead.
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #54
OOC: The grey areas on the map, is that nuetral territory?

Captain Daleris rode along with his small unit of 100 soldiers. He was given orders to help guard the southern front, at Fort Leaziz. For now things were quiet, but if the reports were true, the enemy was just advancing from the south in an attempt to take the fort and gain a foothold for future attacks against the Solarians. Daleris arrived at the fort at night. He rode up to the front gate, and his unit was let in. War would soon fall upon the tiny fort...

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #55
What FD said reminds me...

Drakey, it would really help if the map was properly labled.

That is all.

*Continues to wait for another Aizoan front post before posting an IC.*

--------------------
This is MY link.
Click here,or here for the yoga dance mix!Click here to get to the misc. boards!
Attack, icons, attack!THIS PAGE ROCKS!!
Vicious virus stalks the web, has already infected over 100 computers: read more! HAHAHAH!!!OH, I CAN'T BREATHE!! HAHAHAHA!!!! Think you're sane?
Enduring the worst, to bring you the best.
We have tried to not harm anything in the making of this commercial, but we failed miserably.
R.I.P-Here lies NSI, may this rp be remembered.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #56
Yes, the gray areas are neutral -- for now.

The Kylenians sent the Solaran fation a peace delegation -- they acknowledge that eventually, it must be necessary for them and the Solarans to fight, but in the meanwhile, the Ironcladians are the greater threat, and they would both do a better job of fighting them while at peace.

Meanwhile, the Kylenian army withdrew from the portions of the South over the mountains, content to set off an unendable guerilla conflict. If the Ironcladians are stupid enough to send an army into the area, they'll quickly learn why regimented troops do poorly against partisans; but the Kylenian supporters have the local strength necessary to keep the area in a guerilla conflict for as long as the civil war lasts.

General Hugo was apparently last seen west of the mountains, solidifying Kylen's strength in the near south; this area is rather fertile and populous, and would provide invaluable numbers to their cause.

--------------------
¡Viva Chile!
¡Viva el Pueblo!
¡Vivan los Trabajadores!

Apprentice
Member # 3782
Profile #57
quote:
Originally written by Blademaster of Exile:

Red Warlock is traveling, walking through a large valley. He hears a noise, and hides behind a rock. He looks forward, and sees a large army marching his direction. Not knowing whose side they are on, he decides to wait where he is until he can get a better look.
OOC: Forget that ever happened, it was 11:30 PM when I posted that, so meh. I've never been great at RP's anyway. I'm with the army in Aizo, I guess.

IC:
The Aizoan Front is camping. Red Warlock is trying to get some sleep. Around 1:00 AM, when he still hasn't got any sleep, he decides he will walk to the nearby stream and get some water. He climbs out of his tent, and heads toward the stream. He kneels down, and takes a long drink. When he gets back up, he finds himself face-to-face with a heavily armored soldier with a sharp-looking halberd. Out of instinct, he swings his staff at it, and delivers a heavy blow to the soldiers head. The soldier pops his neck and swings his halberd. RW ducks just in time, getting out with a large slice in his robes. He stands up and is about to use his staff, when he realizes he attacked another soldier of The Aizoan Front. He stares for a moment, and notices the word 'Zeta' on his halberd.

Soldier: What the hell are you doing?

--------------------
I get energy from your jealousy. Ever wonder why I'm so hyper?
--------------------

Bow to the blademaster of Exile.

The Abyss Scenarios, Forums, Graphics...
E-Master's Graemlins Come take a look.
Miscellaneous Get to the closed misc. forums!
Where's Waldo? Can you find Waldo in less than a minute? *Evil Grin*
End of World Da end is coming!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #58
OOC: I am literally lost in this RP, so until something actually happens near my character's home, I will have all my posts made from there.

IC: Petoria had been resting for at least six hours when a coughing in her hovel wakes her up. She sits up startled and looks around getting her bearings. She sees a man sitting in a chair at a table in the corner with his back to her. He is eating some food, which he had apparently prepared for himself from what he could find in the garden. Through her tired eyes and surprise, she begins to get angry. Who is this stranger that waltzes into her home uninvited and makes himself a meal with her food?

It is obvious to her that he doesn't realize that she is awake yet so she takes the time to make some observations of him. He is wearing green peasant clothing and has a wicked looking polished sword on his back along with a bronze shield. A quiver of arrows lies on the floor beside him along with a small pack, presumably which contains his paltry belongings. He must wear red gloves, as she sees them lying on the pack and his boots are an average black and are well worn. He anger then takes completely over, and standing up, she yells at him.

Petoria: "Who the hell are you!!!!? And what are you doing in my home without my permission!!!!? How dare you!!!! I ought to--"

Hearing her angry voice, he instantly stands up and turns around with a start. She observes that he is a rather handsome man of about twenty, with long blond hair and emerald green eyes. His sudden movement startles her and she stops speaking as he gets a scared look on his face. He trembles as he speaks, apparently afraid that she might try to kill him if he doesn't explain immediately.

Man: "I'm--I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to barge in like this, b-but I was told t-to come here and p-provide you with my s-services. P-Please don't hurt me!! T-They told me to just g-go on in and m-make myself at home. They told me that you were expecting me. Don't hurt me please!!"

Petoria is obviously surprised by his sudden speech but grasps the situation immediately. She realizes that her angered look must have looked like death to him, so she does her best to calm down and put his mind at ease. She looks down at the floor slightly ashamed as she speaks.

Petoria: "Oh dear. Now I've frightened you. I am ever so sorry about that. I didn't mean to scare you like that. I am not as menacing as I look. I say, let me introduce myself. I am Petoria. Petoria Carmine. But you can call me Peters. I had no idea at all that you were coming. If I did, I'm sure I would have acted differently. And who may I ask are you?"

Man: "My name is Belmont Chriskhoff. I was sent here to help you. They told me that you wanted help making potions and the such. Sorry if I helped myself to some of your food, but I was hungry. I hope you don't mind, Peters."

Petoria: "No, not really. Now that I know what you are here for, you are quite welcome to my food. I am thankful that you are here, Belmont. I have been hoping for some help for a long time. Come with me. I will show you what I need to have done."

She leads him around the hovel showing him various tasks that she will be needing his help with. Then she shows him around the garden and explains what each plant is for and how to harvest them. The she leads him back inside and over to the cauldron.

Petoria: "Now, my concoction should be completely finished cooking and all that is left to do is put it in flasks."

She goes to a rug on the floor and pulls it back, revealing a trap door. Upon opening it, she motions him to come over and follow her. She descends into a cellar and summoning a spark, she lights a lantern on the wall. The lantern brings to light a vast cellar full of barrels, crates, bottles, flasks, jars, shelves, and many other items. In the far end of the room, an unlit furnace can be seen with several tables in front of it. She lights another lantern on this end of the cellar and the contents of the tables can finally be seen. Piles upon piles of rough glass and leather.

Petoria: "Along with being a sage, herbalist, and witch, I am also an alchemist. I make all my own flasks and glass items. However, I won't be introducing you to that for a while. Just pick up one of those small crates and fills it with leather flasks and glass bottles and bring them up stairs for me and we will get down to bottling the potions."

He does as he is told and she goes upstairs to wait for him, joyous in her mind that she finally has a servant.

OOC: Maybe I don't need anything to happen near the hovel, as I am not disrupting the actual story at all. I am nothing more than a simple potion provider, but that will develop further eventually. I want to have her reveal some of the secrets of her alchemical abilities eventually. Sorry for the length of the post.

[ Saturday, December 20, 2003 14:07: Message edited by: Sherlock Holmes - MSW ]

--------------------
"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!" - Sherlock Holmes

Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep, two corpses, everthing's fine."

"What do you think I asked you here for? COMPANY?!!!" - Bette Davis
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #59
Ok, I got my account back, so now I can use this instead of the Blademaster of Exile account.

--------------------
--------------------

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #60
The map is fine. Green is Ironclad, pink is Kylen, yellow is Solaran. Grey is neutral. Darker areas have higher altitudes. Blue is water, obviously. Red is mountain passes, forts, and the capitol city (in the middle of Kylen territory).

IC: Gideon Ironclad strode through the open door, into the Council's meeting room, ignoring the guards bowing to him on either side.
"My liege," said Lord Janson, as the council stood and bowed. "Please, take my seat. Lord Grantis could not come today, I will sit in his place."
Gideon noticed the nervous looks the lords were giving each other; he had not been at a meeting of the Council for months. They had always told him it was not important, that he could effectively rule from the throne, and that anything decided at the meetings would be passed by him, anyway. But he knew that many things were happening in his empire without his knowledge; he wondered how his presense would affect the meeting.
"We are honored by your presence, Emperor Ironclad," Lord Janson said. "We were just going to discuss that fishing village to the north, the one with an unusually high surplus."
"I see. But I wish to discuss our cavalry."
As he said this, the Emperor fixed his eyes on Lord Bahrain; he saw the man lower his eyes, then exchance glances with Lord Janson.
"Yes, my liege. But this village must be discussed -"
"It is a fishing village, Lord Janson. Reward them or congratulate them how you want, but we will discuss the cavalry."
"Yes, my liege."
"The Kylens have cut us off from our land in the south; they are still loyal to the Empire down there, are they not?"
"They are, my liege."
"But they are cut off from our supplies, and losing ground every day." Gideon Ironclad had heard this from Erland; the council members had no idea that he knew this.
"Yes, my liege, but this directs attention away from us here, in the northern lands."
"And why should that make a difference? Do my people not matter?" said another lord, sitting to the emperor's left.
"I apologize, Lord Dekker, but it is more important to protect the heartland and the area near the western mountains," replied Lord Janson.
"Why? My land was rich before this war; now our resources are exhausted, our men are exhausted, and we will not be able to hold off those traitors forever."
"If they take this land, though, yours will not matter," said Lord Janson, in an almost sarcastic tone.
"My land is part of the Empire! You cannot leave us to our fate!"
"You cannot command me!"
"You cannot ignore my land!"
"SILENCE!"
Astonished, the lords turned to the back of the room.
"Uh... please, I..." Gideon Ironclad had not only surprised the council; he had surprised himself.
"My deepest apologies, Emperor," said Lord Janson finally, after a long silence. "Lord Dekker could not see the bigger picture, and I -"
"This is part of the picture -"
"Never mind, Lord Dekker, Lord Janson," interrupted the Emperor. "It is true, the western lands are important. But Kylen controls the rivers of this land, and we must regain control somehow. That is why I brought up cavalry. We need our cavalry to break through to Lord Dekker's land in the south; it would cut the eastern Kylens off from their commanders, and then we could deal with them as we wish."
"My liege, we do not have enough cavalry for such an attack," replied Lord Bahrain, as if speaking to an ignorant child. "We can only defend our land from these invading traitors, we cannot push them out."
"Then I will make more cavalry. If we cannot breed horses quickly enough, we will take them from the city guard."
"Again, Emperor Ironclad, we cannot do that. We need them to contain Andrax, and anyway, there are not enough to fight the Kylens. Nor do we have enough trained riders."
"Then we will train more. Now. Bring more swordsmen in to replace those on horse, and train our guard for an attack. Good day, my lords."
With that, Gideon Ironclad stood up and walked out of the room; the incredulous gazes of the lords of the council followed him.

EDIT: OK, the last post in this RP when I started typing this was Zephyr's. So... I guess the Kylens to the south that Gideon wants to attack would just be guerillas... well... whatever. Just to let you know.

[ Saturday, December 20, 2003 14:09: Message edited by: Sir David ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #61
quote:
Originally written by Sir David:

Darker areas have higher altitudes.
While this is technically true, the lighter areas are sympathetic to, if not controlled by, any given cause. The Kylens have a huge sphere of influence and little control, the Ironclads a lot of control and a small sphere of influence, and the Solarens are around the middle.

Sphere of control just means that guerilla resistance to them isn't thick enough in that area for troops on the march to be heavily opposed.

[ Saturday, December 20, 2003 15:14: Message edited by: USA-se Xenerali-boariku CUSITURA ]

--------------------
¡Viva Chile!
¡Viva el Pueblo!
¡Vivan los Trabajadores!

Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #62
OOC: Where's Aizo on the map?

IC:
Sejii(Apparently, the "soldier": "My name is Sejii. You shouldn't attack people like that! You almost knocked my toothpick out of my mouth. What's your name, and what were you thinking when you clanged your staff against my helmet?"

[ Saturday, December 20, 2003 18:14: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
This is MY link.
Click here,or here for the yoga dance mix!Click here to get to the misc. boards!
Vicious virus stalks the web, has already infected over 100 computers: read more! HAHAHAH!!!OH, I CAN'T BREATHE!! HAHAHAHA!!!! Think you're sane?
We have tried to not harm anything in the making of this commercial, but we failed miserably.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #63
Alec: I thought Drakey told me that the mountainous areas were darker, though, and that shading reflected the altitude, not influcence or control... maybe I misread...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #64
As they approached the river bank no one heard the first bow string plucked; however, the arrow met its mark. Immediately one of the twenty fell dead to the ground. Suddenly another arrow pierced the air, just barely missing a soldier, and stuck solid in a nearby tree. As more and more arrows began to fly through the air, panic gripped the group.

They began running madly across the ground towards the river, seeking shelter amidsts the dark waters. Twelve more of them fell before even touching the damp soil on the edge of the river.

Sullust breathed in heavily and plunged into the cold water. He swam alone in the damp water with only the sound of arrows breaking the surface of the water to keep him company. He swam under the water for what seemed like hours and finally had to surface to get another breath. After taking a second long gasp for air he submerged again.

When he finally reached the other shore he found two of his companions waiting for him. A final one managed to land a few minutes later. The other side was strangely silent. They made their way through without a single attack. Finally, they were once again in Ironclad territory.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #65
RW: Excuse me, I didn't realize you were one of the soldiers of the Aizoan Front. I am Red Warlock. I couldn't sleep, so I came out to get a drink. What brings you out so late?

--------------------
--------------------

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #66
(OOC: David, the Ironclads have four colors. The two on the left are directly controlled, and the two on the right are in the sphere of control. The darker on the left and the darker on the right are mountainous. All of Solaran land and its supporters are on flatlands.

Zephyr: Aizo is another continent. It's not on the map.)

As Commandant Krilon's troops treaded south, a messenger waving a white flag delivered a message to Krilon. It was a proposed cease fire. Krilon immediately recognized its sincerity and its necessity. He sent back a short response, and he took his troops back north.

Later, east of Solaran territory, large naval bases were being set up on the Gulf of Jazen, and the navy began to move in that general direction.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #67
Sejii: "I couldn't sleep, and I got bored. So I decided to take a walk. And I was hoping to find an enemy to shred." *There's rustling in a nearby bush.* "That might just be a goblin. If he dies, I claim his gold."

[ Sunday, December 21, 2003 05:55: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
This is MY link.
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #68
OOC: Zephyr, Zeta is your halberd, Sejii is your guy. :P

IC:
RW: Oh, trust me, he will die.

RW shoots a bolt of electricity from his staff into the bush, and something jumps out, but it is not a goblin. It is a gazer. He is soon followed by 3 more. Sejii and RW get ready for a fight.

--------------------
--------------------

Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #69
OOC: Either a mod or admin decided to have some fun or I'm more ignorant than usual.
It's probably the ladder.
Oh well.

IC:
Sejii: "It's time to die!" *He points the top of Zeta at a gazer, then he starts spinning it(Like an egg-beater.), then he run towoards the gazer. The gazer gets shredded but manages to survive. It shoots a fireball at Sejii. He flies back and nearly lands in the stream.*

--------------------
This is MY link.
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #70
Red Warlock points his staff at the gazer, and shoots a bolt of electricity right into a deep slice. The gazer falls to the ground, but it's allies step in. While he can, RW tries to cast a healing spell on Sejii, but a gazer hits him with a draining ray, and the spell is countered. Another gazer sends a green bolt of energy at RW, and he is sent flying into a large rock.

--------------------
--------------------

Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #71
Sejii: *Sejii gets up, and picks up his halberd. He rushes ata gazer with his halberd above his head.* "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!" *He swings his halberd down and takes out 2 of the gazers eyes. He gets blown into the river with his halberd by a lightning bolt.*

--------------------
This is MY link.
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #72
RW slowly gets up. His spell energy has been drained. He tries to shoot another bolt at the gazer, but it has no power left, and only shoots a small spark, which flies about a foot before going out. He takes out his dagger, and the gazers begin closing in...

--------------------
--------------------

Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #73
Sejii: *Being underwater, he's starting to lose oxygen. He grabs his halberd and tries to swim, but he's too tired to swim up with his armor. He has to think fast on what to do.* What should I do...what should I do...? I've got it! *He holds his halberd up high, he manages to hook it onto a rock. He pulls himself up. He holds Zeta up again, it hooks onto the shore. He gets out of the river.* It worked! *He sets Zeta down.* "GASP!" *He catches his breath, and picks Zeta up. He charges into battle and slices Zeta down unto the one-eyed gazer's only eye. It's blind. It backs off and waits.*

[ Sunday, December 21, 2003 08:54: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
This is MY link.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #74
OOC: Where is the gulf of Jazen?

I'll IC later when I work out WTH is going on...
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #75
(And suddenly, every RP ever.)

The Kylenians were overjoyed to hear the news of the cease-fire, and made permanent the number of troops on the eastern frontier -- a number essentially made for the fighting of bandits, not for the fighting of a western army.

Meanwhile, they have begun an ambitious project to rejuvenate the navy of the newly-controlled southern areas of their territory, both merchant and martial. They have confirmed what reconnaisance suspected -- they intend to create 3 riverine battleships, so far named the Kylen, the Imperius, and the Jsoulza, with which it will be nigh-on impossible to stop them if and when they choose to attack or defend any river big enough to show up on the map.

Or even, if it comes down to it, the Aizoan return fleet...

--------------------
¡Viva Chile!
¡Viva el Pueblo!
¡Vivan los Trabajadores!

Pages