An RP in the World of Avernum

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: An RP in the World of Avernum
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #76
The Gulf of Jazen is that big gulf at the top of the map of Pralgrad that separates the Solarans from the Ironclads.

Arancaytar, Nihat Kahveci is a Turkish striker who plays for Real Sociedad. But for this RP, he is an Imperial Wizard.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #77
RW jams his staff into the middle-eye of another gazer. He is about to retrieve it and take out the rest, but the gazer delivers a heavy blow with it's tentacles, and RW is on the ground. It takes his staff and throws it into the lake. RW crawls away and throws his knife into the gazer.

--------------------
I get energy from your jealousy. Ever wonder why I'm so hyper?
--------------------

Bow to the blademaster of Exile.

The Abyss Scenarios, Forums, Graphics...
E-Master's Graemlins Come take a look.
Miscellaneous Get to the closed misc. forums!
Where's Waldo? Can you find Waldo in less than a minute? *Evil Grin*
End of World Da end is coming!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #78
EM and Zephyr: Please, posts longer than a few sentences would really help the quality of this RP. Just kill the gazers and move on to something mroe important.

(IC later) (Also, Drakey, what do the three factions currently have in the way of navies?)

EDIT: Grammars fixing.

[ Monday, December 22, 2003 07:55: Message edited by: Sir David ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #79
As a whole, they don't. The Empire has never really needed to have one. (This explains why Vantanas, which is rather closer to Aizo than Pralgrad, is yet undiscovered.)

--------------------
¡Viva Chile!
¡Viva el Pueblo!
¡Vivan los Trabajadores!

Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #80
Sejii: *He charges at the remaining gazer.* "DIE!" *He hits the gazer, but it launches a fireball. Sejii is barely affected, because it hit his armor. He swings his halberd down and takes a tentacle off. He then finds himself trapped in a forcecage. He struggles and attacks the forcecage. Sejii breaks the forcecage and slices another tentacle of the gazer. Sejji then hits the gazer with Zeta, it lands on the blind gazer and the force kills the blind gazer.* "DIE, FIEND!" *Sejii hits the gazer with his halberd, but then he gets hit by lightning from the gazer. He recieves full force from the blast. It blows both Sejji and the gazer apart, it nearly kills the gazer, and Sejii is knocked unconscious.*

OOC: It's up to you, EM.

[ Sunday, December 21, 2003 10:51: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
This is MY link.
Click here,or here for the yoga dance mix!Click here to get to the misc. boards!
Attack, icons, attack!THIS PAGE ROCKS!!
Vicious virus stalks the web, has already infected over 100 computers: read more! HAHAHAH!!!OH, I CAN'T BREATHE!! HAHAHAHA!!!! Think you're sane?
Enduring the worst, to bring you the best.
We have tried to not harm anything in the making of this commercial, but we failed miserably.
R.I.P-Here lies NSI, may this rp be remembered.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #81
Linda reflected that part of her plan did go successfully. But on a personal level, it was the worst possible part of the plan.

Certainly, the high command appear to have heard of her ideas, and taken up on Kylen's offer of a treaty. If they had any sanity, they would keep the treaty, at least for the time being. The Aizoan Expeditionary Force had however failed her expectations - whether that is Sol, Warderson, or a mysterious third party's fault is anybody's guess. But on the whole, the land war appeared to be substantially safer.

But she was not part of the land war.

She was promoted, yes. But to the position of an officer on an hastily build ship of the new Solaran Northern Navy, trying to secure naval superiority over the Jazen Gulf. And the naval war definitely did not appear safe.

She did protest over the decision, of course. But the commander pointed out that none of the other crewmen had any theoretical experience at all, let alone real work on the sea. Looking at the incompetent farmhands, half-seasick, and half quivering in fear, his argument did make sense. Battle plan was simplistic at best - grapple, board, and slug it out.

But she had an even crazier task. She was supposed to contact SAFT and enlist their support. They were testy at best, and now they are presumeably rather uncooperative following months of blockades, and that incident with the Falcon. But their help would be a great advantage in controlling the sea, and thus the merchants, and thus tearing the Ironcladists apart internally.

Which is why she is currently in a tiny rowing boat, praying to whatever God she had read about.

---
OOC: Whatever happened to SAFT anyways?
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #82
RW climbs up, without his staff, knife, or spell energy. The remaining gazer is injured, but he is still no match for it. He picks up Zeta off of the ground, but being a wizard, he does not have the strength to use it effectivley. He slings the halberd at the injured gazer, slicing it in half. When it stops moving completely, he retrieves his weapons, and helps Sejii to his feet. After Sejii gets Zeta, the two of them head back to the camp.

--------------------
--------------------

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #83
OOC: Please, please let that be the last of the gazers...

IC: Within an hour of the council meeting, Emperor Ironclad had ordered several divisions of pikemen to return to the city in replacement of virtually all of the horsemen. These he ordered south, to break through the Kylen guard on the river between the northern Empire and its souther lands; the council was shocked at such decisive action from the Emperor, and all but Lord Dekker were dismayed. The horsemen had been trianed to patrol the city and contain riots, not to charge strongly-held river positions. At his page's suggestion, Emperor Ironclad ordered the leaders of the horsemen to train them in camp along the way; this would certianly slow them down, but he thought it would give them enough experience by the time they reached the river. The Emperor had the horsemen remaining in the city watched so that the council could not send them out after the new cavalry.
Soon after sending these men to attack the Kylens, scouts came to the city to report to the council that the Kylens had a navy-building operation, with three river-going ships at the docks. The council decided at once to begin their own operation. All of this Gideon Ironclad heard from his page and his Imperial Guard; afraid that it would distract his people from this new attack to the south, the Emperor ordered Lord Janson to focus on the cavalry instead, and to build no new docks, nor to upgrade an existing one, until the Kylens had been driven from the river. While working to get around this direct order, the council sent a messenger to the SAFT to offer gold and lumber in exchange for naval protection, were it ever needed...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #84
Soon Sullust learned why he and his companions had encountered little resistance at the river. Remaining unseen behind a bush, he noticed several Kylenians preparing some sort fence. It was composed of a long shaft going across with several thicker shafts with sharp points perpendicular to it.
"It's a trap," one of his fellow soldiers whispered.
"That must mean that Ironclad is sending the cavalry down to secure the river. If these defenses aren't taken down the victory will not be worth it."
"There are only four of us, we can't possibly stop them from completing it."
"We don't need to; we only need to destroy their element of surprise."

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #85
The Kylenians, on hearing of the Ironcladians' actions, offered SAFT a simple proposition: They control the plantations, and the farms, and all the most valuable industries of Pralgad; losing their patronage would surely ruin SAFT, and losing the Ironclads' would not hurt them much at all.
Simply put, accepting any offers from the Ironcladians is just not acceptable.

The naval fleet is still months off at best, but this matters little. Cavalry are trained to break organized formations into smaller pieces and sow disarray in an organized army.

Guerillas are about as disarrayed as you get. The first few battles have been large, bloody victories for the Ironclad forces, but their returns have become less and less, as the Kylenian guerillas learn to take to the forests and hills as soon as cavalry arrive, pick off weak and stragglers from a distance, and make the best use out of captured equipment. Rumors have done nothing but bolster the East Kylenian cause: General Hugo, along with a sizeable contigent of Kylenian regulars and tacticians, are, according to the rumors, attached to the guerilla army.

Meanwhile, the regular Kylenian army, much larger but much worse-trained and worse-equipped, seems to be gathering strength just west of the dividing range...

--------------------
¡Viva Chile!
¡Viva el Pueblo!
¡Vivan los Trabajadores!

Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #86
The captain squatted on the salt-slick wooden deck of the Falcon, regarding the bound merchanters thoughtfully. The merchanters were genuinely glad to see him and his men. They knew better than to bother him with demands for immediate release, though their silence was impatiently kept. The captain would not have heeded them anyway until he was certain it was safe. Times past, he thought idly, they would be my prey, their ship and cargo mine. But SAFT paid better and with more regularity than solo pirating did, and involved less risk.

The call came from below. "Cap'n! All clear!"

The captain nodded and rose to his feet. "Cut the ropes," he ordered his men. He turned to his first mate. "Who was it let that Solaran whelp away?"

"Boney was the closest, cap'n. But the whelp went o'er before any of us could reach him." The first mate shrugged unapologetically. "He didn't do too bad for his first boarding."

The captain's voice boomed out. "Boney! Double shift duty for three days!"

A shouted acknowledgement drifted down from the rigging, followed by a mutter of cursing that the sailor thought too soft to be heard. The captain allowed himself a chuckle of amusement before returning to the matter at hand. Turning to regard the merchanters again, he picked out one sailor from the group.

"What's your name, lad?"

"Sam, sir."

"Sam, eh? Well then, Sam. What say you tell me what happened to your fine ship and her captain. Not to mention her cargo."

Vida swiveled on the heel of one boot and retraced her slow path in front of the fireplace. "I'm sure you understand our position," she said.

The young messenger remembered enough of his court training to stand straight and tall, and not let his nervousness show. This woman, not as elegant as the noble ladies nor as richly dressed, wore none of the kohl or powdered sea-shell that he was used to seeing. She could perhaps be termed attractive by those predisposed to like her, but she was not beautiful by any stretch of the imagination, and her speech held the rolling lingo of the seafarers. And yet he felt more ill at ease in her presence than he did at court. She radiated a certain predator-like grace, the detached ferocity of the powerful. He swallowed. "Do you have a reply, ma'am?"

"Yes, lad. Tell the Council that I must respectfully decline their offer. SAFT is not an Imperial Navy; we are free traders. We cannot become an Imperial Navy. Merchant ships are not built for battle."

Opening his mouth, the young messenger thought better and closed it before expressing his comment - pirate ships were, and SAFT had plenty of those.

"However," Vida continued when she saw that the messenger would not speak, "we are always pleased to take on commissions in sailing or trading matters. One or two of our fast 'courier' ships are available for hire, should the illustrious Council wish to make use of them. Speak directly with Captain Allos Nogan, and he will advise you on the price." Vida smiled. She assured the messenger that the price would not be less than the total cost of building and fitting four new brigantines.

The messenger's brow rose twice; first at the name of an infamous pirate, and secondly at the exorbitant opening bid. He took his leave with a courteous bow once he was sure he had the message memorized perfectly. The door opened as he was leaving, and he took little note of the woman who entered as he passed by.

Vida whirled towards Morgan. Her eyes flashed with anger. "Damn Kylen!"

"We need them," the mage pointed out. "They control the rivers and the farmers."

"So they reminded me," Vida growled. "Send them a message - we are more valuable to their merchants than they are to us." She sighed. "No, don't be quite so blunt. But remind them that we do not like threats: raise the prices through the delta by 10%. Due to the Solaran blockade."

"Speaking of which, we've just received a message. The blockade runner Argyle sent a bird - they've picked up a passenger. It seems that the Solarans want to negotiate terms."

"Bring the Solaran here as soon as possible. Let's see what they have to say."

Morgan nodded. She hesitated; when she spoke again, her voice was less clipped and precise. "You can't keep juggling them like this forever. Sooner or later, they'll force you to choose a side, or they'll destroy you. When that happens SAFT will no longer be free."

Grimacing, Vida picked up a full goblet and tossed back the contents. "You're full of cheer today."

"It's why you keep me around. That, and my one magical skill."

"You do have more uses than just as long-range message relayer."

The two friends shared identical smiles.

[ Monday, December 22, 2003 07:46: Message edited by: premonition ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #87
Linda rather enjoyed SAFT's hospitality. The wine they stocked was quite good, and food was delicious. Unlike the soldiers she had dine with, her host had excellent manners, and provided good conversation.

When eventually they got around to the actual negotiation, it was clear who had the upper hand here. All the niceties amounted to a show of strength, to demonstate that continued blockades were futile. She was well aware that the other factions had probably been allowed to make their deals before her, and there was a good chance of certain accidents befalling her.

She quickly went through her checklist of things to offer.

"Money?" Not interested. Unsurprisingly, since Sol had previously attempted deals, and failed ultimately to deliver. SAFT had plenty of cash.

"Land?" A waste of time. She was not enabled to offer mines etc, which was what SAFT really wanted.

"Honor?" A joke. SAFT probably no longer considered Solarans to be capable of honor.

Well, that's it. Unless... Well, her commanders never told her not to offer it...

"I offer you the Solaran navy."

That certainly got their attention.

"Don't deny it. SAFT has the best sailors in the entire empire. Perfect admirals, waiting for a fleet. Pirate vessels that rival the strength of imperial battleships. A knowledge of real naval strategies. We on the other hand have a huge fleet, twice the size of yours - and growing, and no decent seamen to command them."

"It is plain that the aims of the Solarans and SAFT are the same - we both want the war to continue for the time being, for profits or political power, and eventually to end favourably, to rebuild this land and its trade structure."

"Tommorrow, I have ordered all vessels of the Solaran navy to gather at each one of your trading stations, docks, and so on, to put them under your leadership. If you do not take command, and so join the Solaran navy, they will get bored. Certainly, they were ordered NOT to pillage, but you are all familar with how discipline falls down without good leaders... The crew of these ships are intensely loyal to Sol, and so will ensure you do not attempt to misuse them. I hope you see the value of making the Solaran faction a member of SAFT. Either you let us surrender to you, or we will accidentally make you surrender to us."

With that, she retired to the quarters they provided.

Sol is going to kill me, she thought... Or promote me.

[ Tuesday, December 23, 2003 13:47: Message edited by: FZ ]
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #88
Kevin knocked on the door of the Commander of the Fort. "Enter," said a gruff, tired voice. Kevin entered. He looked around at the many papers on the walls and desk, the Commander was way behind on his paperwork. "Sir, we've been sent to reinforce the fort. I am Captain Kevin Delaris. Intelligence reports have shown a sizable force of mercenaries hired by the Ironclads to attack this fort. General Gerzad sent me to ensure this forts safety," said Kevin. "Good, we've needed some backup. There's been a group of brigands harassing the fort for days, and we're worn out from fighting them for the last week. Welcome to Fort Leaziz Captain," said the Commander.
--------------------------------------------------

A few hours later, at night. Movement was heard outside. "Who's there," shouted a guard. Suddenly, a arrow hit him dead on and he fell to the ground. Another lookout shouted "Enemy Attack" and the alarm was raised. Captain Kevin left the barracks, and grabbed his Greatsword, as he led his troops against the invading force...

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #89
OOC: I must have missed something, or the roster on page 1 hasn't been updated, but how did Red Warlock (supposedly an Ironcladist) end up at the same place as Seiji, on the Aizoan front?
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #90
OOC: I was going to be in the Aizoan Front, but I thought to be in The Aizoan Front, since TAF was Ironclad's, I should join Ironclads, cause I didn't see Aizoan Front as a group.

--------------------
--------------------

Agent
Member # 464
Profile #91
"Well, sir," began Sam. "We were going about our business as usual, headed for the basin. Now, nobody expected nothing to happen like what happened. I was below the deck when I heard what sounded like trouble. I heard feet running around heavily above. I rushed up and saw two Solaran ships surrounding us, and there was some tough-looking men aboard. Not too many of 'em, but there were enough. Said they won't harm us unless we fight, and with the weapons the got and us being surprised and all, nobody dared.
"Rough, they were, and they trapped us under. They locked us up, then took care of our cargos. Left the boxes empty. Even took our money. There was one Solaran they kept talking about, said he will be the one to head this ship. I think they didn't like him much.
"Some time passed and they carefully took us above. There they gagged us and tied us up together. They left us with the Solaran. And then rescue comes, and here we are."
"Very well," said the captain. After a short while of thought, he added, "Do you remember anything that they said concerning the cargo? Now, think about this carefully, lad."
Sam pondered. "Aye, I think I recall something."

OOC: Heh, I haven't done serious RPing in a while, forgive me.

[ Monday, December 22, 2003 14:22: Message edited by: Undine ]

--------------------
You go girl!
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
Infiltrator
Member # 1220
Profile Homepage #92
Just so you guys know I have to pull out, too busy lately sorry.

--------------------
O YEAH!!!
--------------------
My god could kick you god's ass.
--------------------
Getapc
--------------------
Teh Flamin sworrd of bd gramer has now become the Flaming Sword of not perfict grammer.
--------------------
Worning not perfict grammer behind.
--------------------
DOLNEY HAS CHANGED TO A guy with not so perfict grammer
--------------------
I shortened my sig.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #93
The general order to the fleet was difficult to forge, but Linda hoped now, as rain battered against the barred windows of her room, that it was worth it. It was unfortunate that she did not, for all her charms, get the answers she was really interested in.

Of all the ships that Solaria commandeered, SAFT was only spurred to act the case of one - the ship called the Falcon. A simple supply ship, carrying a cargo that was quickly hurried into storage before anyone - even the troops which captured the ship - could see it.

[ Friday, December 26, 2003 14:17: Message edited by: FZ ]
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #94
Several days later, half of the horsemen returned; the other half, they said, were either killed, lost, or scattered. The report was that they had seen a contingent of swordsmen by the river, and the leader had ordered a charge. They had gotten quite close before the leader had been shot through the heart with an arrow, and while the cavalry mixed with the swordsmen, Kylen archers had sprung out of nowhere, apparently; havoc had ensued, and while an equal or greater number of Kylens had been killed, they were far more replaceable. The council was shocked, and furious; they had been against this attack, as the Emperor well knew, and his stupidity had lost them most of their horses and trained horsemen. They quickly passed a new law, stating that horsebreeders were to sell 90% of their available horses to the government; they would be well rewarded in money, it was said. The Emperor, upon hearing the news of the defeat, locked himself in his chambers. The council, seeing the necessity of a well-trained cavalry, began organization immediately. Meanwhile, the Ironcladians increased the number of archers in that region, hoping to take advantage of the Kylen deaths, and also the number of pikemen, in case the horses had been captured rather than killed.

That same day, the messenger returned with the SAFT's offer. Already angry, this infuriated the council: how dare they make such outrageous demands of the government of the Empire! But luckily for the Ironclads, the messenger managed to calm the council by reminding them that the Solarans would most likely have even less luck, considering the blockades and general hostility, and that the Kylens' recent cease-fire (as it appeared) with the Solarans would not help relations with the SAFT. It appeared that the SAFT would remain free, at least for the moment. Subdued, the council decided to put the SAFT off until later; if naval help could not be hired, it would have to be built and trained.

Neither the Council nor the Emperor knew that, while many horsemen had been killed and some captured in their battle by the river, the rest had found Sullust and his men hiding nearby, and were even then deciding what to do about the traps...

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #95
"General Hugo, you nasty devil, you -- the news has already reached here about the guerilla campaign's successes." Successes was a term that carried a number of heavy, unspoken qualifications; the cavalry didn't lose as many as the guerillas did, but who cared about a few peasants in lands the Kylenians didn't have direct control over? That's how the theory went, anyway.

"Good that it has. Things have gone well even beyond my expectations." 'Well' means that there had been enough casualties to enrage without demoralizing, and the guerilla war would go on even more steadfastly than before. "There is the problem of enemy agents, though."

"Enemy agents are a particular problem, General?"

"Indeed, exalted sir." The honorific was, as far as the hierarchy of royalty went, usually used on crown princes or grand dukes; not even Ironclad was arrogant enough to demand people start calling him 'supreme sir' as an Emperor would. "In particular, Colonel Karadas -- the deuced Ironcladders haven't named him any higher rank, even though he seems to be, for all practical purposes, in charge of the Ironclad irregulars in the south -- has been a thorn in our forces' side. He is not the inept fool that he seemed to be at Fortress Six; or if he is, he is only inept on defense. He is quite the guerilla."

"And from you, that's no idle complement." Kylen nodded solemnly, as if reminding himself of something. "General Hugo, we've done a bit of digging, and we're going to give you a mage to go along with a small strikeforce you're going with to find and kill Karadas. You are looking for an irregular leader in guerilla country, so you are going to have to make yourselves out as Ironcladder forces. The mage should help this; he also knows a significant degree of combat magic. But I have a... special request to make of you."

"Exalted sir?"

"Karadas, if he is the man you say he is, cannot fall to a conventional attack. He is more than a symbol; he represents the whole leadership of the guerillas in Ironcladder lands, and a knife in the back would be too conventional. You need to blow his head off. I don't care how you do it, I don't care who you get to do it, but I care that, when they bury him, they'll have to inter his head in a jamjar. You understand me, Hugo?"

Hugo nodded silently. It was something of a tall order; the sort of thing which could do something like what Kylen wanted wasn't quick or quiet, and he knew that much without an intimate understanding of magic. The mage would probably want to strangle Kylen with his bare hands once he found out.

"Good. You'll find the mage in the Black Horse in Imperius three days from now at noon. It is a busy inn; you are to order a round of Low Country for the whole bar. The men I have chosen for you beforehand will make themselves obvious. Any others you deign to be good for this sort of mission you are on your own devices for, but I expect to have the guards at Fortress Two see you within two weeks; and take your time getting back. I have the utmost confidence in you. You are dismissed."

General Hugo nodded solemnly and walked out of the meeting hall.

"You know, I knew he'd go and pull something like this."

"If you did, why didn't you do anything to stop it?" It was a perfectly valid question; one both the lieutenant- and brigadier-generals saw coming from a mile away. Lt-Gen Tolquen responded, "Because I agree with every word he said."

Brig-Gen Ardek smiled and gave a wry chuckle. "You should be glad I'm not a traitor, sir. If I were anyone else, you'd have pips on your dress robes after a week, if you had dress robes at all."

"And if you were anyone else, I wouldn't tell you what I have planned for Colonel Karadas, much less ask you to do it. He is a voice of reason, but one that poses a great danger to the security of the Empire, and of Emperor Ironclad." Ironclad men were, by and large, militarists; they worked on loyalty to the causes Ironclad liked, not on loyalty to Ironclad like Sol's men or Kylen's. A general of the other side in the same position still would have spat on the floor at the mention of their sovereign. "That damned balls-up could have costed us the war if the Kylenians felt particularly punchy."

"Yeah, sure could have. But the problem is that we're still trying to fight in the south, not writing it off as a loss, consolidating our strengh, and then tearing them a new one in the mountains. That's Karadas's problem, see -- he's one of those people who's made too many big retreats, and won't make another big one unless it's in a pine box. What the Emperor's loyal men need now is a big retreat; the Kylenians have bloodied our nose, but unless we get our forces out of the area, they're going to break our face. You following me so far, Ardek?"

"Clearly, sir, you plan to remove Karadas from his current position of power."

The lieutenant-general touches his nose. "And you're the one who's going to do it. He's a good man -- a damned great man, and his proclamations probably did more to save our asses in the south than anything we could have done on the level -- but any farther and he's going to get to the point where he isn't working for the Emperor any more. You need to infiltrate his guerillas -- not high-profile, mind, just as some local hunters or fishermen or whatever the devil they do for a living in the south -- and put paid to the cocky sumbish once and for all. You got that?"

"Sure. Do I need to find men for this?"

"With the way the army is now? Please. We need to know who will keep quiet about this when it needs it most; you picking your friends for it would lead to a damn disaster. So instead, I picked mine." The senior general smirks at this; the brigadier doesn't see anything particularly funny about it. He asks, "You have any particular way you want him to, ergh, how's it they say it up there? [Here it's worthy of note that, like many Ironcladders, Ardek is an Aizoan transplant; he's used to maps which use north as down.] 'Sell the farm'?"

The senior general smirks. "What the devil do you think I am, a Kylenian?" The two generals break into uproarious laughter.

[ Tuesday, December 23, 2003 01:40: Message edited by: USA-se Xenerali-boariku CUSITURA ]

--------------------
¡Viva Chile!
¡Viva el Pueblo!
¡Vivan los Trabajadores!

Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #96
OOC notes:

Sorry for the story gap, I've been away for a bit.

Zephyr and E-Master, please try to keep your posts relevant to a greater whole. If you want to be attacked by random things, make it a group of goblins or some Aizoans, or something. Plus, neither of you could be members of the Imperial army, (mages are all busy scrying and they don't use halberdiers) so please don't object to the following post.

Anyway, IC:

As Seji and Red Warlock headed towards the Imperial encampment, they were confronted by a pair of sentries.

'Who goes there? Have you clearance to enter the camp?'

Seji is still only semi-conscious, so it is Red Warlock (OOC: Can you give him a proper name? Red Warlock sounds more like a rank) who responds.

'I'm not entirely sure about him. I'm a mage, freelance.'

'Oh yes? I didn't think the natives had discovered magic.'

'What you think has very little bearing on the state of affairs.'

'Well, I still don't have a reason to let you past.'

At this point, Seji stirs himself. Looking up, he tries to speak audibly.

'We want...join army...'

'Join the army? The state you're in?'

Red Warlock interrupts indignantly.

'I'll have you know we've just killed off four gazers. The fact that we're still alive should testify to our fitness. Now, let us in.'

The sentry shrugs.

'Well, you'd better wait while I fetch the sergeant.'

But when the sergeant returns, it is with no less a figure than Major Taren himself. Quickly collecting the two, he leads them into the camp, leaving the sentries staring in confusion.

=====

As Londar approaches the camp, the sentries let him pass without question. Major Taren, however, is slightly less allowing.

'Back so soon? You surely haven't found their base in...oh, it can't have been beyond a day and a half. Why, you couldn't have even crossed the continent in that time.'

'As for that, sir, I don't believe I was properly supplied. But I did find something of importance, very great importance, and not far at all from here.'

The Major waved his hands, irritated at Londar's dramatic pause.

'Were you aware that the number of goblins on the continent, previously hardly anything to speak of, has been mounting up?'

'Well, we have observed something of that kind. The general assumed that they merely move around the continent at random, and are spending some time in the north. But goblins are hardly a threat to trained troops.'

'I agree, sir. Except that I found this on one of them.'

Londar hands Taren the note. The Major takes it, and reads it eagerly. His expression darkens. Before he can say anything, Londar hands him the map he found as well.

'I also found this. And I was surprised at how near to us the natives are-less than a day's journey, though their base is almost impossible to spot if you don't know it's there. Hidden in a short ravine that grows wider down the bottom. They can come out at either end to launch their raids. The ends are disguised as cave mouths, but somehow or other you can't get in-I think there must be some kind of magical protection on them.'

'Indeed? You have done well, Londar, very well. We could well win the war with this. But first, and I think General Warderson will agree, we must find the traitor in our midst. Not a word of this must leak to anyone, understood?'

'Yes, sir.'

'I'll get back to you. For the moment, you deserve a reward. Take this to the camp purser.'

'Thank you, sir.'

'It's me that should be doing the thanking, Londar. Now, run along.'

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The misc board's thriving, and there're plenty good RPs. Join now! H00rj!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #97
Jehan Sol angrily threw the documents onto the mahogany conference table. "What the hell does she think she's doing?"

"Er, exalted sir, she's trying to secure us sole use of SAFT sailors and trade routes."

"But by giving away our navy? We can't trust them not to turn on us."

"Exalted sir, I'm sure that we could secure some deal where we place guards on all of the ships."

"That would still be unfortunate. I want a policy of zero tolerance. You are going to find someone to help her negotiate this."

"I believe I have just the man, exalted sir."

(OOC: Arancaytar, your character has just been dispatched to aid FZ/Linda.)
====
The attack on the fortress was finished as suddenly as it had come. It had all been for the element of surprise, and all of the ships were well guarded. Some Ironclads were killed, some were captured, and the rest fled. Among them was the commander of the attack force. Commandant Krilon quickly ordered Captain Kevin to pursue him.
====
With another trail of dead Kylens and Ironclads in their wake, the commando group of Lt. Gregan made their way down to the important mountain passes. They saw the buildup of Ironclad guards, as well as the movement of Kylen armies.

Gregan ordered his men to take up positions high in the mountains, above the passes. The four mages took up positions between each pass and began to establish a system of communication. Others began to stake out fortifications.

A little while later, several boulders were rolled out to the edge of the passes. Tied on with ropes, they would be released as soon as the ropes were cut. There they stayed, as they waited for the latest troop movements from the other sides.

A messenger was sent back to Solaria to request reinforcements to help them hold the passes when they eventually took them.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #98
OOC: I'll try to get in on the action again; it would help if I knew where precisely Linda is negotiating with the SAFT.

IC:

"And she did WHAT?!"

"She gave them the navy, I told you."

Rumor travels quite quickly in an army. The most unbelievable stories spread fastest, and so it was that most of the soldiers had heard of the Mage Apprentice who had just recently been building walls (were one to believe the rumors) in some fort or other, and was newly promoted to negotiate with the Sailor's Association.

Taron still could not believe what he heard. Quick careers were not uncommon in the military, where talent could be found in unexpected places. Offering a fleet in exchange for a treaty was. The other archer spoke again.

"Mind you, they're not just going to let it go, mark my words. That's a covert annexation if I've ever seen one."

Taron, who was well-read concerning history, especially military, could only agree: If you offered your opponent soldiers in negotiation, you placed your own forces into their ranks, giving yourself a position of power. In case the bargain failed, the Solaran navy would be in a position to swiftly strike. The navy was certainly a two-edged gift, if you could put it that way.

Just then, the discussion of the two archers was cut short as another officer approached and addressed Taron

"You are the mercenary Taron Gregor Merallion?"

"Yes, sir" Taron was a bit apprehensive. What did they want from him?

"I've been ordered to take you to the General's ((he's a general right?)) office. Apparently there's a special task he wants you to consider"

Taron did not like the sound of the word special, but knew better than to argue. He could always refuse later. One of the advantages of being a mercenary.

OOC: Gotta go now to see the RotK movie, I'll post the briefing in a few hours.

--------------------
Nasty trickster stalking the web! 406 victims! "
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
The Encyclopædia Ermariana is growing. ;)
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #99
OOC: I didn't know the Imperial army didn't use halberdiers. Someone should've told me after I posted my character.

And originally, I was planning for goblins jumping out of the bush, not gazers.

--------------------
This is MY link.
Click here,or here for the yoga dance mix!Click here to get to the misc. boards!
Attack, icons, attack!THIS PAGE ROCKS!!
Vicious virus stalks the web, has already infected over 100 computers: read more! HAHAHAH!!!OH, I CAN'T BREATHE!! HAHAHAHA!!!! Think you're sane?
Enduring the worst, to bring you the best.
We have tried to not harm anything in the making of this commercial, but we failed miserably.
R.I.P-Here lies NSI, may this rp be remembered.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #100
Morgan stood to the side. Her eyes followed Vida, back and forth, back and forth. "What are you going to do?"

Vida snarled. "Can't we just slit her throat and dump her in an alley?" she asked plaintively.

The mage laughed, though she answered seriously enough. "She's already got at least one message out. She's an apprentice mage of some sort."

"Couldn't you have stopped her?"

Morgan's shoulders stiffened visibly at the rough angry tone. "You know I can't. You know my skill is... limited." The flash of an old hurting wound shows in her steely grey eyes.

"Right. Yes." Vida sighed. "I'm sorry. I'll stall, for the moment. Send a representative to each of those ships as they come into port. Not to take command or accept their offer, just to take a look around and see if the deal's worth anything." She scowled. "It'll stop the Solarans from getting 'bored' for the moment. Damn the woman! I do not appreciate being forced like this. Let's see what the others do when they hear about the Solaran's offer."

The mage's head jerked as she looked at Vida sharply, but the SAFT leader was gazing pensively into the empty fireplace. Morgan relaxed after a moment.

"Meanwhile," Vida continued, "I will go remind that upstart little mage that SAFT are traders, not soldiers. Besides which, I will not allow our trading lanes to be monopolized by another. Increase the fees in Solaria, and make sure the rumour gets about that it's a direct consequence of the Solarans trying to force our hand."

[ooc]
Slith: you're the rep going on the first Solaran ship.
Arancaytar: SAFT headquarters are in the dockyards section of the capital city. Time seems fairly lax in this RP; you will have just enough time to join Linda before the first Solaran ship surrenders itself.
Regarding the map: where are the cities?

Pages